Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

RandomPauI posted:

Okay, I'm testing the waters here. Are people willing to entertain the idea that Steven's development is stunted because he moved in with the Gems?

From a couple pages ago, but if you mean physically (ie Steven's Birthday) I don't think that timing lines up, since Steven's been living with the gems for longer than he's been looking the same. (Unless something in the show contradicts the extended opening on this.) So he's probably just either a late bloomer or, being half-gem, ages more slowly than normal humans.

(Emotionally? He's still vastly more mature than, say, Ronaldo or Lars. Intellectually? It's still not clear why he couldn't just go to school, at least before he started regularly going on missions. You can't tell me Pearl wouldn't love back-to-school shopping and saying "buh-bye! love you!" while Amethyst shapeshifts into a bus.)

thatbastardken posted:

number one reason Bismuth is in the wrong: shattering a gem doesn't destroy the consciousness, merely reduces it to tormented fragments. the death sentence is only a practicality when the hypothetical criminal isn't actually immortal.

these "no-nonsense" solutions of your just don't hold water in a complex world of gem-powered machines and warp travel.

This is a good reference and you should feel good.

Also on the level of practicality, I feel like the breaking point just wasn't a very good weapon because you had to strike in a specific spot unique to each gem, which probably makes for some awkward maneuvering in combat. It's definitely not as good as Rose's sword (or the gem destabilizer, which was basically the same thing come to think of it), since if you can poof a gem in a single strike it's easier to do that (since it requires a lot less precision) and then just shatter the now-defenseless gem. Hell, that's basically what Bismuth did to Lapis, even if it was some other gem who cracked her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

I love that the entire SU staff are weeaboos. I also love this high school AU and hope it never stops.

The look on Lapis's face though.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I pretty much howled with laughter at every part of this episode. Like aside from introducing a great potential plotline, it just had a lot of solid character moments and jokes ("I haven't been so scared since you almost let me die!" is my personal favorite).

GunnerJ posted:

eta: Like, very little about Ronaldo's character makes sense if we assume that people generally understand that four strange immortal magic-using women with gemstones sticking out of their skin live under a lighthouse in an east coast seaside town and saved the world 5000 years ago.

That's the joke though--he's looking for wild conspiracies when the actual explanation is right there. This gets hammered home a lot more on his blog (ie he knows Steven is a gem, but he still thought Stevonnie was literally him and Connie in some kind of infiltration suit).

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

I thought about this, but then I thought of a reason why what I said still works anyway, but I forgot that reason so uh just pretend I have an apt counterpoint here that allows what I said before to continue being a good point.

drat, you're right. I never thought of that before. You win this round.

Anyway, have you seen the blog in question? It's kind of incredible. Same with Peridot's twitter.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Eela6 posted:

If Pearl ends up having a relationship with S, I wonder if she'll get a cell phone?

Pearl's sheer momness means she can just spontaneously manifest a landline.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Attestant posted:

The Answer is really not a good episode to showcase the show, at all. It's far too reliant on understanding the context of who Garnet is, what fusion is, and what it means.

I don't really agree. Even without context it's still a beautifully told fairy tale--that's why they chose it to make into an kid's book, after all. Plus it's self-contained compared to most any other episode--it's not part of any ongoing plot, it could have happened literally any time after Steven found out Garnet's a fusion.

Most of the things you need to know are explained in the episode itself--it starts with saying Garnet's a fusion of Ruby and Sapphire, and they spend time talking about what exactly that means throughout. (The dialogue also explain the other relevant Gem Rules pretty well too--namely that they don't die if they lose their physical forms, but only if they're shattered.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I like how Garnet approved of a bunch of kids in a trench coat since she is basically two lesbian rocks in a trench coat

And of course, she wasn't surprised because she knew it was coming.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Who What Now posted:

If you didn't love Steven singing a song about witnessing his own suicide via temporal paradox then you're a goddamn pod person.

According to one of the creators on Twitter, the point of that episode was "establishing time travel rules, and also wouldn't it be funny if the main character died 50 times".

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 20, 2016

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

IMO the relevance Garnet's Universe is that, a couple of episodes beforehand, Steven had gotten tangled up in a pretty awful situation with Ronaldo. Making up a story where his strongest mom beats up a version of Ronaldo was just his way of coping, which ties into the general theme of exploring various ways of dealing with trauma.

Also, Steven's version of Garnet saying "Steven's not ready to know I have animal friends yet" is probably the first indication Steven realizes, on some level, the gems weren't completely forthcoming with him about some things.

If nothing else, it gave us the phrase "Stevenbomb".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

site posted:

beach city would be a military base irl

Maybe they tried to make it one and the gems vetoed it.

Into the ocean.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Philip Rivers posted:

I never knew that Rebecca Sugar and Ian JQ were dating :3:

The Answer's dedication goes "To Ian, my Sapphire - RS" :kimchi:

I did not know that either! I remember when IanJQ was just a teen publishing comics about his depression, so this just makes me so happy. Like hearing an old friend got a happy ending.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I still love that the unnamed hero from RPG World was one of Steven's action figures.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm not fully caught up yet and only started watching recently, but does Steven ever experience any regret for murdering the 5 rubies in the most horrible way possible?

That seemed pretty hosed up, and in a run of episodes that made it pretty hard to ignore too since it was like... three episodes in a row about how murder is wrong, except maybe only when it's absolutely necessary, which it obviously wasn't

Hold that thought.

And then you can watch, you can watch, you can watch, you can watch it go by...

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Do gems need to breathe, idk if this has ever been established.

Not only do they not need air to breathe, that one Ruby was somehow talking to Steven through his bubble while she was in the vacuum of space. (Remember: magic.)

Peridot described gems as a species designed to be spacefaring conquerors, so I'd assume that besides their bodies automatically adjusting to local gravity they have some contingency for getting blown out an airlock, besides just drifting in space forever.

It's also possible that, being literally rocks, their psychology is equipped to cope with geological time-spans in a way a human's isn't. Lapis is clearly traumatized, but she's much better off than a human that had been in prolonged solitary confinement, which is the closest analogy I can think of for being trapped in a mirror for 5,000 years. So they could just float around for ages until a passing ship spots them and be perfectly fine.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I do think Garnet could use an arc where Ruby and Sapphire end up separated and have to learn to improve their own personalities. Garnet has gone through a lot of change since "Jail Break" and is a completely different character now compared to season 1, but Ruby and Sapphire are still a little neurotic themselves: when separate, the only thing they're interested in doing is getting back together as soon as possible. Judging from Greg's reaction in "Keystone Motel", the two really only separate when they have a gigantic argument of the level that can cause property damage.

I think a good arc for Garnet would be having Ruby and Sapphire learn how to be less dependent on one another. Metaphorically, it would be learning how to stop basing your existence around your relationship while still maintaining it, unlike the usual way that lesson gets learned ("Just break up with him because you're better than that!").

I feel like Garnet already represents a healthy relationship, just not...one that makes sense in human terms/if you try to take the metaphor too far.

The arc I'm expecting for Garnet is that, at some point, she loses her Future Vision--probably permanently. Besides being a plot-breaking kind of ability with few real limits, it's really hard to have growth or interaction for a character who can't ask other characters questions. They've made a good balancing act of that so far, but it's also a pretty enormous restriction on the kinds of stuff they can do either with Garnet or with the show as a whole. It'd also be a good mirror to the other gems' arcs--Amethyst and Pearl have both had to accept Steven coming into his own in their own ways, but when you literally always know the potential consequences of someone's actions, it's a lot harder to say "I don't always know what's best for you".

It would probably also lead to a change in Ruby and Sapphire's relationship, since losing it would probably be a big enough jolt to de-fuse them, and it'd be such a fundamental change for Sapphire that it'd take a while (like at least 11 minutes) for them to get back together, after everyone helps her cope.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Eela6 posted:

I wish there was better quality official merchandise.

I got really excited when I saw the tank-top that was basically Steven's t-shirt as a tank-top, but all the reviews said it was make of some really crappy, itchy fabric.

On the other hand, I am very tempted to get this and then use the dice for gaming and the gauntlet as a mug.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Besesoth posted:

Remind me, lazyweb: has the in-universe year been established? Like, is there anything in the show to say it's specifically 2014, or 2769 Ab Urbe Condita, or...?

About 5000 years after the end of the gem war, about 6000 years after the start.

With the gem showing up on money and everything I wouldn't be surprised if that was literally the calendar system.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Well, maybe. I think she's fighting a different Diamond and is holding Pink Diamond in front of her and doing... something.

NewMars posted:

Yeah, that looks like white Diamond to me. From the looks of the mural, she appears to be brandishing the diamond. I think she's using it as a hostage?

That would make an alarming amount of sense. Rose poofs pink diamond, tries to use their gem as a bargaining chip to get the rest of them to back off, but they think she's bluffing, so, she shatters it when they keep fighting.

Now that you bring it up independently, I'm kind of partial to this theory.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Whiz Palace posted:

Yeah, that's fair - I was just worn out from pages of slapfights over why Walter White drove a 2015 Chrysler in 2012. And maybe because it's a lot less plot-relevant than anything else we can figure out. I mean, I don't even like it when people ask "where's the government?" because nothing in the story has led us to believe that they will be a factor.

Their currency having a diamond on it suggets something's up with the government, even if it never becomes any more relevant than the Eye of Providence is to our daily lives.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Of the other gems, only Peridot actually has any sort of special power that isnt normal for gems of her type, right?

We don't really have a lot of information to go on here, but Bismuth was surprised that Pearl could fire lasers ("when did that happen?"). And the eyeball Ruby said Rose's healing abilities were only rumor or speculation, and not something Homeworld knew about for a fact.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Garnet strikes me as more Miller; sunglasses, quick to action etc etc.

Did you like my afro, Steve!?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

Is there anything similar to Steven uni?

Over The Garden Wall Community College?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Attestant posted:

Lapis trying to rescue Steven is the best. :kimchi:

I was very confused until I remembered there's a warp pad right next to the barn.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

havenwaters posted:

She's also Chloe from Life is Strange. She did a good job as Chloe so I'm kinda optimistic.

Hella.

I can't shake the thought she's going to voice Mystery Girl now. And that we're gonna get another time travel episode where Pearl keeps trying to save her life and ultimately has to choose between saving her and Beach City.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Garnet reforming at the end to grab the whip was so satisfying. I love Ruby and Sapphire but you could really feel the gems being split up this Bomb, and it felt really good watching the team back together by the end.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Honestly one reason they might not have Ronaldo around is that by now we know that when he says crazy poo poo it often turns out to be right, and we're at a point where they don't want him to spoil where things are going.

Q.E.D. the gems were created by a race of snake people.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 4, 2017

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Well, someone probably took a look at all the shattered gems left over from the war and thought "we could take them back to Homeworld and use them in civilian applications, but that's boring and picking them all up is hard. Let's just shove them all in a big hole in the ground and get a Death Star in five thousand years."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

one problem being what do gems need with a terra.
they don't drink water or breathe air or anything.
it's another suspciously organic power.

Presumably "terraform" in this context means "adjust planetary conditions to our liking" (as demonstrated in "It Could've Been Great") and not specifically "make it like Earth".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

"bub"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

MikeJF posted:

None of those episodes are about Steven helping the rubies set up house on eaeth this is unacceptable.

"We really should help them out...eh. What's on TV."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I would watch an entire episode of Lapis's Garnet impersonation.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

Maybe...Maybe he spends the whole episode talking with Peridot and she's just like "Yep, that's right, but really it's way worse than you think. Also, let me tell you about how your planet almost recently exploded."

Man, Ronaldo and Peridot talking is an untapped vein with a lot of potential. They're two of the most high strung characters in the show and their attempts to explain things to each other would just bounce off this wall of paranoia and misconceptions about their respective species.

And Ronaldo probably has a lot of opinions about shipping.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Seriously. Like, the world keeps making GBS threads on Peridot but she never gives up her enthusiasm. Lapis got dealt a bum hand in life and treats her experience as license to act like a shithead all the time.

Nothing that's happened to Peridot really compares to what Lapis has been through, though.

Besides that, I just don't think Lapis is lovely. This episode the worst she did is not know who Connie was (and accidentally launch a car through a sign, but that was as much on Peridot as it was on her), and I can't think of anything else she's done since getting released from Jasper that was especially bad. She made some meep morps, she flew around with Steven and she even got into the baseball game a little.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

I'm also glad that SU is far more subtle with its tackling of social issues and character arcs. There's no episode where someone solves sexism with a necklace in SU - but on the other hand, there are so many episodes of SU that don't contribute to the plot or lore at all.

This problem goes away once you realize that Beach City and its characters count as part of the show's plot too, though.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

It's not AWFUL because we do know that Connie got her eyes healed because she swallowed Steven's healing spit, so who knows what physiological effects that ingestion would have?

That...doesn't make it better. If she turns out to be superhuman it diminishes her hard work and dedication.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I guess the reason that only Rose, Pearl, Garnet and Amethyst survived not being corrupted was they could fit under Roses shield when it happened. Assuming she can create the giant bubble shield Steven can.

Relatedly, I always liked the theory that the geography of the temple and Beach City was caused by Rose blocking a giant blast.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

hughesta posted:

the scene of Steven just being alone in his house in silence might be my favorite in the whole show

That was my favorite part of the episode. (Steven and Connie interacting again was nice too.)

I didn't care much for the rest of it, though. The room is inherently hollow, and the emotional ground Steven goes over here isn't really anything new. Steven meeting his dead mom (even if it's just a fake version, it still looks, feels and sounds real) should have been a big moment, but it just fell flat for me.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Does the cluster count as an ally
Something is happening down there, they are still bringing it up. Diamonds are banking on it killing all the humans and might get upset when they find out it isn't

The mentions during the last bomb were probably to reaffirm that the Diamonds don't know it's been neutralized.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I'm not familiar with what this is parodying, but it was still funny.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Pearl's snake face is all of us when someone says they're going to stop posting and then immediately posts something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The last episode that was particularly focused on anything LGBT was Last One Out of Beach City, months ago. (And if you want to distinguish between focusing on a theme and just happening to have a theme, that was an 80s homage that just happened to have two women.)

Since then we've had Onion and his weird friends, a Very Crystal Gem Thanksgiving, "what is a baby", five episodes about an alien abduction, Crystal Gems West, and a holodeck malfunction.

Honestly, it could be gayer.