Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Labes for days posted:

Jasper has history with other characters that we've seen, she's helped other characters grow and develop in ways we've seen firsthand (Lapis, Amethyst), and she's always been featured in stuff like the Comic-Con comics and other official art throughout the life of the series, unlike Bismuth or Eyeball. I don't know why it's such a stretch to consider her being the one Steven tries to save from corruption, especially given that hers was "fresh" and he feels guilty that he couldn't stop it.

Her method of corruption is also different enough from the other gems, so that probably helps. The song was seemingly pretty ingrained and broke the mind on a different level than Jasper's contagious fusion. She was pretty slow to change until she started getting agitated and was still presented more organically than Centi's glitchy backslide after remembering the song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

maltesh posted:

I am a bit confused that Blue didn't react to the mention of the Breaking Point. Not sure if it meant that she had no idea what it was, and misinterpreted, or that she knew exactly what it was, and disregarded.

She probably didn't know because chances are the only people who knew were Rose and Bismuth. I guess she could have asked what that was but she probably knew it wasn't the unnamed sword and it's not like Steven was giving confidant answers in the first place

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

Kind of thought it wold be a lot bigger tbh

Probably the cluster wasn't as big as it was in the show when they were first drafting it

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

He should just point out that whatever they've tried to hide from him, he's just learned from the Homeworld denizens anyway, so just tell him what the hell is going on already, or Stevonnie will start warping around the world taking naps at important Gem sites and finding out for themselves.

Greg had them try that like 3 episodes ago and Pearl was physically (??) unable to go into more detail and steven blew off garnet (who may/may not have had nothing new to say?)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

So basically Steven Universe is now Adventure Time?

Oh god we're never going to get to see the series finale.

It was crazy to me, looking up the AT airing schedule, that they aired 2 miniseries, a full season, half another season and three/fourths of ANOTHER season in 2017
just shoved it all out the door, like the opposite of SU's problem but still having SU's "when will the next batch air? ehhhh" problem.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Jorenko posted:

Huzzah, a concrete date! But "returns this year with three all-new, action-packed story arcs" scares me. Are we getting three 4-6 episode bombs and nothing else for all of 2018?

reminder that this happened last year

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

my favorite leak is when CN like France or something put up a highlight clip of the entire Malachite fight 2 or 3 months before it aired

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Revelation was weird at first but I think I dig it and especially because
My big worry was Pearl or a Diamond would do it or Pink was just in hiding (well....) and remove the terrible things Rose did
Instead this just piles on everything terrible Rose did in brand new, exciting ways.
interested where it goes from here

can't wait for the next episode to pick up next we--mont--........winter?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

In other news, Lapis is still pretty unstable. Steven could have gotten sucked out the airlock when she decided to bail from the moon base. This is almost as bad as when her gem was still corrupted during the fight back on earth. It's war that scares her more than the CGs or the Diamonds since she lived with the former for awhile and was willing to try and live back on Homeworld with the latter.

Probably a good thing she wasn't around for The Twist, she....probably wouldn't be able to handle the one person she feels she can trust and think as family being uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh a diamond

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

TwoPair posted:

But that flies in the face of the plan. The shattering hinged on (and ultimately failed because of) the idea that the other Diamonds didn't care and would write Earth off as a loss after "Pink" was gone. If Blue was taking trips to down to Earth to help while Rose was still active as PD, then she'd realize that the other Diamonds did care, and she'd have to rethink the plan.
when you already believe they dont care, it's easy to read any action as a negative

It'd be easy to see Blue Diamond coming to visit and "help" as them rolling their eyes and trying to fix her mess before it got out of hand -> if i'm gone, then they wont need to care about this -> they'll cut their losses and leave
See also: Blue Diamond's talk to her in steven's dream. She was frustrated Pink wasn't fixing things but did give what seemed to be caring advice to her little sister, but Pink saw it purely as them just being annoyed because their colony is behind.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

TwoPair posted:

See I don't think the corruption has to take place immediately. After all, we know the diamonds don't attack immediately because when Steven's going back up through the layers of Pearl's mind, Pearl is in mid-battle around the time the Diamonds launch their blast. And then given the fact that Eyeball (and Jasper I guess?) got to see the attack, yet had enough time to get off world before the blast, says that at bare minimum the diamonds got to order some of their troops to abandon Earth (yet not all, given Captain Centipeetle was stranded).

The timeline as I see it has Blue and Yellow taking control after Pink's "shattering". At first they attempt a standard attack, only they think that they'll succeed where Pink did not, largely because they have more experience and because they bring additional tools like a ruby squad and a Sapphire down to aid. As the war goes on, the Diamonds get desperate and plop down some new extractors for the Beta Kindergarten. Finally, after all else has failed, the Diamonds pick the nuclear option and corrupt every gem, good or bad. Shortly after they start a misinformation campaign to ensure that no one speaks of their failure, and start the cluster project as a big final gently caress you to the CGs.

Garnet knew about & worked with Bismuth. And Bismuth was almost certainly bubbled before the staged shattering happened.
Rose also didn't use her sword at all when attacking Blue Diamond's floating arena, which implies to me they hadn't recruited Bismuth yet or at least not made the sword.

It's possible Blue & Yellow tried taking control of the war post-shattering (thus things like the beta kindergarten), but Blue Diamond's visit in the Answer had to have been pre-shatter.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

i missed bismuthed bismuth, but I bet they find a way to write her off again during today's episodes

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

jassa posted:

No no, you've got it all backwards. The town is named after the Gem.

everyone loved biggs

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

early SU had a lot of weird ideas but I think "gem society made a time machine" really takes the cake

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

I wonder if the gems were seeking out the hourglass to undo something in particular?

Could it go as far back as they'd need to?

It's possible, but they might have grabbed it for the same reason they grabbed things like the message stone: better to have it in their horde than possibly used by others.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

At the same time I can't really imagine this show ending on the note "actually war is justified" so any bigger enemy absolutely has to be some sort of mindless metaphor for something or a misunderstanding by people that refused to just talk it out.

Like even if the message of "sometimes violence is the answer" is a thing this show admits sometimes it seems absolutely not the moral they would even remotely want to tie into the ending.

Yeah if there's something out there, I can't see it as "war is justified" when the closest thing we've had to a justified war (Rose against the diamonds) the moral was "no such thing as a good war" and all but 5 gems on the planet turned into near mindless monsters which was also, turns out, the better result from what was a planned genocide.

I'm guessing with an empire this big there's just been other gem rebellions fought out there. And who knows how long the diamonds have been in charge? Could be there was just scattered gem leaders at war with each other before, then our set (or just white, whatever, depends on the timeline), took over and there might have been others before that and so on.

And other than that, they just make soldiers because why not. Always made soldiers, let's keep making them and worry about why later
"An army has a use, they can fight a war
A sapphire has a use, she can tell you what it's for"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

please let there be a new intro accompanied entirely by the audience's screams

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Oh! Bitchin'! Looks like we might be getting that Save the Light DLC after all!

I think some canadian retailer had a switch bundle for this with the ok ko game, too
https://www.videogamesplus.ca/steven-universe-bundle-switch-p-25881.html

doesn't confirm anything since retails put up mistakes all the time , but hey!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The jungle moon's planet seemed torn apart and abandoned so i wonder just how many planets are even successful colonies and, of those, how long they last.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I think it's set back before the recent arcs, at least. There's some comics coming that deal with what seems to be the same heart "gem".

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Also authentic to basically every animated movie based on a still-in-production property.

The only series/property I can think of that had a movie that proceeded to affect the show's continuity was the first Transformers.

With some exception to movies that either explicitly ended the show or were intended to

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

LemonLimeTime posted:

Did I miss something? I don't remember ever seeing Ruby and Sapphire in Crossover Nexus.

It was from an earlier version of the story, their original story board pitch

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's a great loving episode. Rebecca and Ian JQ (Who's also in the ep, and was previously on A Milhouse Divided) are both huge Simpsons fans, and the episode they talk about, The Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show, is one of the most animation-insider episodes any cartoon has ever done. Definitely worth a listen, and a watch if you haven't seen that particular episode of the Simpsons.

A Milhouse Divided also has a lot of stuff about OK KO. Matt Burnett also talks a bit about SU and a lot about Craig of the Creek on Lisa's Date with Density, though not to quite the extent of the other 2 episode

All pretty cool if you want some more inside baseball stuff about the assorted shows and insight on like, show running

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Hmm, do you have anything in particular that indicates Yellow Diamond treats her poorly in mind? Coldly, I can see but YD seems to treat her personnel well enough: Peridot was given another chance, after all.

Because not killing your employees for failure is the picture of graciousness and magnanimity!

When peridot contacts Yellow Diamond, there's a brief part where Yellow Pearl recoils a bit when YD comes into the conversation.
I can't think of other instances of that, but I might have forgotten an aside here or there.

The true question is: how did yellow react to YP taking the selfie on the moonbase?!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Also you’re supposed to mentally replace Steven with Pink Diamond in that sequence. So her starting to throw up clumps of Rose’s hair in direct response to the emotional and physical abuse that Yellow and White inflict on her and others is supposed to represent the first inklings of Rose Quartz coming into being long before Pearl put the pin in it and gave her centuries of escapist and avenging thoughts and feelings a physical form to inhabit.

steven hacks up a few locks after yellow leaves then hacks up the entire bouquet of hair the moment white diamond shows up after taking away PP
really says everything you need to know about how PD felt even back then!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Is next week Battle of Heart & Mind or is there another episode

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I imagine it takes place after all this. I don't see why it wouldn't be canon

I think the heart gem shown in the preview is currently being used in the comic miniseries so I just assumed it's meant to take place around then, whatever vague time frame the comic allows.

I am assuming the comic itself was not also delayed, however.

if I remeber from the preview it had Topaz & Aquamarine looking for information on humans for their upcoming mission, so before the whole mess with abductions happened

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I get the impression that Blue Diamond might be the one Diamond that Steven could be on speaking terms with by the end of the whole mess.

I get the opposite feeling. She's very condescending and only cares about steven in so much as he's "Pink" and that makes her feel better. She's getting frustrated at Steven's form and friends and so on. That line "I'll take care of it, I'll take care of everything" as she looks down (...metaphorically) on him.

Yellow's also not really listening & her temper is awful with the lightning and so on and brushes a lot of things off but their sauna talk felt more personable. Also Yellow was the one trying to accommodate to pink "having trouble" recalling the past. Which is...nice? Kind of?

They're both terrible in different ways, and it's possible Blue's thoughts just before the ball are shared by Yellow. But if there's a breakthrough on anyone before the White confrontation it feels more Yellow than Blue.

That said I could see neither getting through until White is dealt with, where they both finally realize Steven is Steven, not Pink.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

After all the speculation on who would sing Escapism it was Sugar herself in an out of universe overlay song.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rasamune posted:

AJ Michalka, actually

Oh! that's pretty cool

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Episode fine
No episode next week lame

TwoPair posted:

I find it a little weird that Lapis and Peridot apparently haven't reformed yet (based purely on Steven saying Bismuth is the only un-poofed gem and them not showing up for Watermelon Steven's charades). Both of them have been poofed before (Lapis when Malachite got beat and Peridot... numerous times) and reformed nearly immediately. When the Earth rescue squad comes, it seems like they need an all hands on deck deal.

They already have, it's called OK KO and you should be watching. :colbert:

Lapis didn't poof, Malachite poofed which just spit out Jasper & Lapis fully formed but unconscious. Like how Suigilite poofed but Garnet & Amethyst just fell out exhausted. I think Peridot only got poofed once before, by Garnet crushing her form when she was finally captured. She had a whole episode about not getting poofed because it was a looney tunes parody because peridots are tough.

If we wanted to read a non-meta reason for it maybe they just want to take some time like Pearl does. Or maybe Yellow's lightning destabilizes things for longer than conventional methods.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

When steven bombs started happening, I am pretty sure the showrunners said they started writing the episodes to take advantage of that

So the fact we have somehow gone back to a kind of weekly schedule is just...perfect.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Well you gotta do Rutilated Quartz

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Graduation time.

Edit:

Oh poo poo! The first minute of Change Your Mind has already been leaked: https://youtu.be/qUVpExvUcIU

Gotcha. Pretty great though right? This is a high effort troll. Seriously, props to the person who made this; they're a true artist.

Steven Universe Season 6: now that steven has cured space facism can he handle........college????

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Test Pattern posted:

There are like 15 different official/crewniverse poromo images and posters for tonight and each one of them makes me more and more frightened for Our Boy Steven Demayo.

are these compiled in one spot anywhere

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

EasyEW posted:

They're gradually filtering into the Crewniverse Tumblr.

wow spoilesr crewniverse

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I really liked that and honestly I don't think I want a Season 6 at all.

Well. I want a new opening but beyond that!

There's still some things they can go with For example, I could see a season devoted to helping the Diamonds undo what they've done. I mean sheesh you could have entire seasons to off-world adventures as steven helps yellow or blue or white who've still got plenty of work to make up for what they've done. Or going further into some of the implications brought up and origins of junk, I guess.

But like, I don't know. I think this is a fine send off even with my family of space dictators were talked out of being tyrants and now we're all happy is a very tidy wrap up. Actually it being so tidy is why I like it so much? It's a weird pairing of feelings.

Other things I'm a little iffy on
Blue, Yellow being turned so quickly. There had been work done towards this, and obviously there's still more to fix, but it felt noticable.
Kind of bummed White was...normal? Well, as normal as she could be, I guess. I really thought she was a statue or broken or something. But that lead to some really hosed up imagry regardless so that wasn't a total loss
Lapis & Peridot didn't fuse??? Rebecca???? hello??????
woudl have liked Connie to get more cool action. She never felt useless at any part of this, which was nice, but her one loss to Pearl idk felt like there could've been a little more
An on-the-ground reaction from Homeworld's citizens as the crazy diamond leaders start smashing up everything
The tidyness of the diamonds in general, like I mentioned earlier. I don't think it detracts from what I loved that much, but it was there and noticeable, you know?

But beyond that I just really liked it! It had lots of great character moments, action, resolutions, animation and so on. I LOVE THAT ALL OF STEVEN'S FUSIONS ARE GOOFY AS gently caress. IT'S SO PERFECT

Also loving laughing my rear end off that the bingo card was all 100% real things that happened in the episode. It was a total blackout! THE SUCROSE WOMAN HAS PLAYED US LIKE A FIDDLE

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Even if the diamonds redemtption is something I'd want focus on

I would be so down for an entire season of mostly-episodic townie episodes with everyone. everyone

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

So after all this, did they ever air that "series finale" spoilery clip that some channel's promo had leaked like a year ago? I never looked into it because of, you know, spoilers.

That clip was from Legs to Homeworld, I believe. With the diamonds looming over everyone while steven talks to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Actually we haven't addressed the chest in Lion's mane. It never got opened.

It's a single slip of paper saying the real treasure was the friends we made along the way