Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Speaking of the Shorty Squad, would Ruby and Sapphire count as members? Or are they disqualified because they spend almost all their time as Garnet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

So as long as we're spotting Junji Ito references, then clearly Rose hanging out with a bunch of cats is a reference to this.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Something I just realized: Pearl is so freaked out by the thought of eating that it was one of the contributing factors to Alexandrite breaking apart in Fusion Cuisine. But she was willing to drink apple juice to get Steven and Amethyst to think she's cool.

Also the fact that it's just a liquid and will be easier to, uh, get rid of probably helped.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Philip Rivers posted:

Setting up a lesbian relationship for the express purpose of failing and generating drama at a queer woman's expense is lovely, lowbrow queerbaiting and is so far below this show's standards that I am legitimately a little offended by you suggesting that would be a good or worthwhile plotline. :frogout:

It's not like three different shows made the news for doing the "hey look the two women get together and are happy PSYCHE ONE OF THEM IS DEAD NOW ~such drama~" thing this year alone or anything.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

speaking of their interactions

She totally checks out Pearl

edit: replaced with a gif that doesnt randomly shrink

I don't think she was checking Pearl out here. Pearl comes over and sticks out her hand, so Mystery Girl looks at her hand, then to Pearl's face, then to her hand again, and then makes eye contact.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised. Animation barely gets any respect when it's done as a movie, how much do you think it's going to get on TV?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It's an allegory about white male allies (or whatever) who join up with various causes that don't directly impact them (gay rights, feminism, you name it) and proceed to make it all about them. Steven's line about "this is my whole life" is kind of a giveaway on that front.

I mean, yeah, you can also apply it to fandoms, but given what else this show has done, I don't think seeing "if you join a cause, don't make it about you" is a stretch.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I thought that Rocknaldo was leaning kind of hard on the "hey allies, it's not about you, don't be lovely" thing, but sometimes you really have to drive home a message that really needs to be delivered to make sure the message is received.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Fusion can stand for any kind of relationship.

Precisely this. Fusion is a metaphor for relationships in general, not necessarily sexual ones. It's only creepy if you make it creepy. So please don't make it creepy.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

Attack the Light was alright, but I dunno, too insubstantial? Like they couldn't actually do anything with the characters outside of their base personalities and poo poo they already did on the show. I hope this one has an actual story to it where they can be a little more creative.

Attack the Light was a three dollar mobile game. And it was a good three dollar mobile game, but there's only so much you can do when that's what you've got to work with. I look forward to seeing it on consoles, and also hope it hits the Switch.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The comic is not yet available for digital purchase, but it will be on the 28th.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Apraxin posted:

Looks like it's up already on Comixology?

Indeed it is. I have no idea where I got the 28th from. Maybe that's when the physical version hits?

Maybe I should figure out how the subscription feature for Comixology works so this doesn't happen again.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Pearl is an established chick magnet, after all.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

To be fair when I say non canon I don't mean treat the episode as not having happened at all, but rather keep it in mind that it will probably be contradicted by how the show develops later on in ways that are hard to reconcile

This sounds like the "levels of canon" thing that Star Wars was doing before the entire concept of the Extended Universe was thrown in the dumpster where it belongs, where the products were tiered, and the ruling (for lack of a better term) was "if it's in an official thing, it is canon, unless contradicted by a higher source." So the way it'd shake out would be "the early SU stuff happened unless a latter season plot point makes it awkward in which case it didn't."

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Take it a step further - Yellow Diamond and Jamie bonding over the fact that they are both in love with married women.

One of the things I've been wondering is the legal status of Ruby and Sapphire's marriage. They aren't citizens, and most of the time I don't know if they even legally exist because they're usually fused into Garnet. I also wonder "who gave Steven the authority to perform marriages," but I'm just rolling on the assumption that yes, he is legally able to perform marriages.

I know the real answer is "it doesn't actually matter, that's not why they did it" but someone's gotta count the rivets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The advent of that kind of technology has had a major impact on what kind of storytelling is actually viable. You couldn't make a story where missing an episode meant you got lost, because if someone missed an episode, there was no way to go back and watch it until the thing hit reruns, if it ever did. Heck, I still remember that when I first started watching ExoSquad, I came in around the mid-30s for episodes. Needless to say, some of the plot beats kind of came out of nowhere because I hadn't seen the setup, and had no way to see the setup.

I mean, a lot of 80s cartoons were standalone episodes because it was easier and nobody gave a poo poo about the toy commercials they were cynically churning out, but still.