Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

So here is a thought: going on the theory that YD or WD were involved in PDs murder, what if the reason for it has been staring us in the face. It's been shown multiple times now that a gem is designed with a purpose, and gems who don't do their purpose should be shattered. In the thousands of years they've existed, only one rebellion has happened, and it was under Pink Diamonds watch. A diamonds purpose is to lead and demand obedience and worship, so in the eyes of YD and WD, she failed her purpose and therefore only had one recourse. And considering they probably knew of BDs disposition and connection with emotional responses, they left her out of it because they knew she would interfere. Hell, the only reason they probably haven't knocked off Blue is because they know she can be a ruthless leader when she wants to be, so instead they are simply trying to tie up loose ends and get her back on track.

But then, why do the Crystal Gems also believe it was Rose Quartz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Macaluso posted:

I think it'd also kind of devalue Connie as a character because she has all these strengths DESPITE (or you could argue because of) only being human.

Yeah, Connie is rad for the same reason that it's rad that there are so many characters in One Piece who are huge deals and don't have Devil Fruit powers.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I have always thought that Lapis did something really terrible that she's hiding. She is okay with Steven because she knows he will forgive and understand, but the CGs wouldn't. Peridot would just not care.

Maybe it has something to do with the Diamond attack that corrupted all those gems. Would certainly tie well into her belief that resisting only makes things worse.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

It probably makes it way more gay

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I can't believe they aired six episodes in a row and each one made me cry.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

I think it just kinda ended up going that way because they kinda wrote themselves hugely into a corner in regards to how overpowered both the Diamonds and Homeworld in general are compared to our protagonists,

or maybe their intent, in a show where nearly all major conflicts are resolved in healthy ways by having characters communicate their feelings, was to have a major conflict resolved by characters communicating their feelings

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Ages posted:

given that they were at the same wedding reception, we also missed the opportunity for andy to say "hey, fryman..."

god. drat it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Azza Bamboo posted:

Imagine that white appears reasonable, dilligent, hard working and upbeat. The emotion they give off is their belief that they can "make it happen". They're the kind of person who believes you can live your dreams if you work hard enough and make the right decisions. At first they come off as a nice diamond, but Steven begins to realise she's delusional. Homeworld is suffering and White can't just keep projecting her bootstraps positive psychology when there is some actual messed up stuff which needs sorting out with actual plans, not just white's vision.

But white surrounds herself with successful gems that reinforce her ideas, not that she needs to do this to promote her ideology. She points to Jasper as an example of someone who made themselves.

I have an idea for what White would be like, and I'd be interested to see them go this way.

counterpoint; I want White to look and sound and act like Yzma from The Emperor's New Grooze

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

the PPG movie is really good, I just hope y'all are aware

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

WD: Pearl. Pearrrrrrl. I saw a bird. It was pretty. Kick it's rear end.

Steven: Actually, I go by Steven, now.
WD: Oh, really? Well, you can call me... Super Steven.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Limiting the number of episodes was a necessary sacrifice to avoid the notice of the others; any dimension with more than 12 mission hill episodes inevitably suffers a horrific fate.

But is it a fate any more terrible than ours?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Even in a post Ruby Rider world, I still choose to believe Sapphire as the guitarist.

Greg does say during Ruby Rider that he just taught her how to play, so this checks out

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Azza Bamboo posted:

I want new episodes.

Man, I tell you what, man, waitin' and waitin', dang ol' executives, man, ain't got no idea, tell you what, just, man, play the dang show.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Im sick and feverish so now's a good time for drawing gemsonas. Give me a rock.

Ametrine

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

hot take: this episode is literally about how the plot doesn't matter as much as the story does, and is calling out folks who get pissed about pacing

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

A Sometimes Food posted:

For whatever reason theatre actors seem to handle it better? At least that's what it seems in my experience.

it's because theatre actors are good

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

White may be a lot of things but she's not homophobic is she?

how could a being without the concept of sex or gender be homophobic

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

They went to an alien planet, faced off with a white skinned dictator,

I don't remember them facing off with Onion yet

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

that we haven't gotten an entire episode about Jasper finding out that Steven was Pink Diamond (should I still be spoilering this?) is probably 90% of why we're still getting more show

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I liked that the antagonist is using Gear Third

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

and you know it's super

UP BEAT

UP BEAT

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Macaluso posted:

♪♪ That's right I heard the story over and over again
Gee it's swell to finally meet her
OTH
ER
FRIENDS ♪♪

hell - and I cannot stress this enough - yeah

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

me, years ago: I wonder why Rose's symbol for love was a star instead of a heart.

me, now: Oh... because a heart reminded her of Spinel.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

Are there any other songs in the movie that have clear musical ties to previous songs?

Happily Ever After has a bunch of leitmotif callbacks to previous songs - during Steven's segment it melodically quotes the show theme, and during Garnet's segment it quotes Stronger Than You.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's not my favourite song of the movie but I swear I could stick Independent Together as a car tune and a good bunch of people wouldn't even suspect it's from a kids' movie.

yeah I'm really hoping they record a Full Version

edit: actually now that I go back and listen I guess it's a fairly normal song length hell yeah

Bleck fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 5, 2019

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Hihohe posted:

I gotta say Drift Away was my favorite song. Just stuck with me and made me cry.

I'm singing and guitar-playing along with the soundtrack today and I can't get through Drift Away without crying

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

I refuse to believe that there won't be some kind of sport competition or Gemlympics at some point though so that the battle gems can't let off some steam though.

tournament arc... tournaMENT ARC

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Nephthys posted:

Now to re-watch the whole series and constantly have the awareness that while Steven is rapping about Cookie Cat Spinel is going insane abandoned in space.

I feel like by the time the series begins the damage is already done

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Most of the time I've noticed what people think "what if the hero was smart?" is really "please, I'm so desperate to be loved"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Pick posted:

I normally find ascribing mental or developmental conditions to fictional characters to be incredibly tedious

yeah let's go back to which character drinks what kind of alcohol or what the gently caress ever

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Azza Bamboo posted:

I wonder if yet another of Ronaldo's ramblings is true

I, too, am waiting for the new season's big sneople reveal

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Timeless Appeal posted:

I genuinely had no problems with the ending.

^

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Pick posted:

There's little logical continuity in why it matters. It matters because we're told it does :shrug:.

it helps if you watched the show beforehand

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like Steven forming Onyx

do you mean Obsidian

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

enjoying Steven Universe, or really any well written thing, is a lot easier when you accept that plot is what happens and story is why it happened

you could cut out a lot of foreshadowing and flavour and etc. and have a way more efficient plot, and it would stink, because the details of why stuff happens to fleshed out characters is what makes a story good

like if you really want just the plot you can probably read a three sentence synopsis of literally anything and get the gist, and yet something tells me that's not going to be very enjoyable

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Is it... unfair to Pearl that Steven kind of railroads her into getting over Rose?

Hot take; Rose and Pearl's relationship was kind of abusive.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was confused by that scene because Greg was pronouncing bass like base.

that's how it's pronounced when you're talking about the audio quality, e.g in bass guitar

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Plundering the show for ideas again, and noting that most of the show's seemingly extraneous details and characters tend to be symbolic for more important ones later on, I'm wondering how Lil' Butler relates to the show. Also comes to mind that Pearl's penchant for men's formalwear and obsessive organisation basically makes her split the difference between butler and handmaiden.

Lil Butler is a child that a family of aristocrats places a comically large amount of responsibility on, i.e Steven Universe

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Plant MONSTER. posted:

The show and has made me misty eyed in the past but the ending on that last one.

*fanning face*

as soon as they went from the hug to glowing I basically burst into tears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

NOOOOOOO!

I didn't know any of this was happening tonight and I have no way of seeing it now!

what if there were... other ways...