Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
After consistent urging by friends, I finally started watching this show. So far it's colorful, weird and silly. I mean, living breakfast that tries to kill everyone? And I'm sure that Crystal Heart thing will come into play at a later time, it seems important enough to remember. I guess I'll keep on watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I've mostly caught up on this show (skipped a bunch of episodes that I'll get around to watching eventually), and something was bothering me about Pink Diamond being shattered, and it had to do with the Cluster. From what I understand, the Cluster and the Fusion Mutants were made from shards of different gems forcibly joined. My question is, why didn't they use the technique of joining shards to fix Pink Diamond? I would imagine joining shards of the same gem is much easier than those of different gems. In fact, I sort of wonder if the Cluster project was originally intended to fix Pink Diamond.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I just imagined Steven doing... Does this process have a name? Anyway, doing whatever he did to Lars to his dad, and then Greg imitates Lion's shockwave roar with his guitar.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

How hard is it to break gems? I mean, didn't Amethyst and Eyeball have their gems cracked by rocks? And Lapis' gem was stepped on.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

My theory is that Pearl belonged to Pink Diamond and Pink Diamond loved her sisters so much she had each Diamond color represented on Pearl, hence why she has those 4 colors.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I've been thinking about how Rose Quartz could have gotten close to Pink Diamond without anyone noticing. My theory is that she used Lion (or maybe another one). It seems like Rose never told anyone about Lion or his ability.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I was looking at Valkyrie Profile just now and it gave me a thought, could we call the ones that get revived Einherjar?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Maybe she can defuse back into the individual gems and they will be fun.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Huntersoninski posted:

If pink diamond loved the earth the same way Rose did, she wouldn't have kidnapped humans and broken up families to fill up her fancy zoo. Maybe she was nice for a diamond, but I don't think she was a "good guy."

Yak of Wrath posted:

To be fair Pink Diamond did use the zoo as an education tool for Gems on the importance and value of at risk species, massively improved living conditions for captive species on Homeworld advocating for spaces that reflected their natural habitats, and reinvested all revenue in protection and management of natural ecosystems in the region she stewarded.

Rose Quartz and her band on the other hand managed to alienate a sympathetic Gem society with radical ecoterrorism and conflating the concepts of animals having rights with animals being equal to people, her actions ultimately setting back environmental activism back millennia, dooming Earth to cold strip mining of resources rather than a balance of habitat preservation and industry.

Maybe the zoo was Pink Diamond's attempt at trying to compromise with Rose Quartz about preserving Earth life. She didn't really care about humans, she just wanted Rose to stop rebelling.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Lunatic Sledge posted:

The gems are constantly preparing for war

expanding their armies

to fight who can answer a lot of questions and set up villains, if needed, after the Diamonds are resolved.

Though, the idea that even they don't know anymore and are just expanding their empire because it's their purpose is pretty heavy, too.

Going along this line of thinking, you could compare Homeworld to ant colonies.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I could swear you're tempting Matoi Ryuko (forums user) to add more sprites to their collection.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

The Korra series was extremely flawed in its structure and presentation, and while it doesn't hold a candle to the Aang series, part of me is glad that it was made and had the chance to find its footing. Few series get the opportunity to bounce back from a lackluster showing.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

What about the one hour special in season 2 about the origins of the Avatar?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

You know, I wonder what water is to gems. Do they see it as some sort of useless chemical solution? Or maybe a hazardous material since it can erode the rocks they need to grow more gems.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

After seeing how PD acted, I think I finally understand how the Beta Kindergarten ended up the way it did. I'm willing to bet that Pearl did most of PD's work before she defected and that possibly Pearl was the one directing things at the Alpha Kindergarten.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Eox posted:

I don't know that PD and Rose are the same person, but it's definitely gonna be somehow significant that their gems are in the same place.

A combination of factors like that and Rose's trademark dress makes me wonder if PD gave special treatment to Rose. Maybe Rose was one of the first gems PD grew on Earth and, seeing the gem placement, PD probably thought "This gem will be the symbol of my long and prosperous future as a real Diamond" and had Rose separate from the other soldiers and dressed her up to have as a trophy to show off. With little to no responsibilities, Rose grew curious about the world around her and grew to love it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Didn't Steven have allergies one time?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I like to imagine that White Diamond is going to be someone dedicated to research and technological progress. Colonizing planets means more resources for her experiments rather than more soldiers.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Jack Black is going to voice Iron, a character that we'll meet when The Crystal Gems and Steven visit the mirror universe and meet The Heavy Metals and their adopted half-metal daughter Sabrina.

I can't wait until we get to the speculation about the rulers of the Metal-Clergy and their glorious leader, Lord Gold.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I actually just thought up possible rulers for this group I just made up, but I fear that may run the joke into the ground.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Okay then. Admittedly I went for the obvious with precious metals as the ruling powers: Gold, Silver, Platinum, and Palladium. But then I thought of something else, an unexpected ruler, one who leads the Metal-Clergy through fear of his mighty power. It is none other than.... King Lead. Why lead of all metals? Because Lead can safely use radioactive materials without harm. He can eat and store radioactive materials like uranium and plutonium and use them in a flaming breath that can melt just about anything.

There's also a Mercury assassin that acts like a T-1000, but I've already given this enough thought.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

Mario and Spongebob became more recognized than Mickey Mouse, and obviously Disney wasn't gonna stand for that.

That makes me wonder, does Cartoon Network have a mascot?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Maybe Steven can enter the dreams of Gems in bubbles? Maybe that's how Jasper and Bismuth "come back".

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I once heard from someone that a twist/spoiler is not as important as the execution/delivery of the events. If all a twist/spoiler has going for it is shock value, then it's not very good.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

So those fusions, they aren't quartz are they?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

That preview makes me feel a little sad.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Now I'm curious who the voice for real Rose Quartzes is.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I had a bit of a disturbing mental image. I was thinking about what would happen if the Diamonds try to extract Pink's gem from Steven, and I thought about Vision in Infinity War.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

And some other implications. Pearl was never a renegade - indeed, she was perfectly loyal to the end. Not only that, it seemed to me like she was physically incapable of talking about the assassination plot. There's some sort of magically inviolable orders concept connecting Diamonds and Pearls. It sort of calls into question just how much autonomy Pearl has ever had.

Pearl was still a renegade since she did stuff Pearls weren't suppose to do, such as fighting.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

We don't have confirmation about Pearl's behavior and whether her choice to fight was voluntary or not at this time, so the matter will have to wait.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 8, 2018

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I have to agree that the whole thing comes off like a teenage suicide pact with the consequences certainly ill-considered to say the least. There's certainly something very classical adventure fiction and/or extremely anime about the leader of a rebellion and the princess she's rebelling against being the same person under an alter-ego. It seems implied that PD might have developed the Rose Quartz persona to go undercover among her subjects to do things a Diamond couldn't be seen doing.

I might lol really hard if it turns out that while PD went out as Rose, Pearl had to take PD's place and pretend to be her.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Some people were talking earlier about Steven being poofed and what would happen. All I'm going to say is that I believe what happened to Vision in Infinity War is what would happen to Steven and leave it at that.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I wonder if Steven has to take the chest into Rose's room to open it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

If multiples of the same gem are in a fusion, how would that affect the fusion? Does it make the fusion larger?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

My question earlier was in response to Jasper + 5 Ruby fusion and how multiples of the same gem would affect the resulting fusion.

Rhonne posted:

If Sapphire fused with two Rubys, would she just turn into Bigger Garnet?

And this makes the most sense to me.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Is the show 5 seasons or 3 seasons broken up into 5 seasons?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Oh yeah, I remember someone mentioning that pattern before. Makes me wonder if it's something CN did deliberately and the long hiatuses are a result of that.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

MikeJF posted:

I assume this will be the Rose's Betrayal Bomb. Wonder if it'll be that for all five nights.

After this is three episodes left in the season, I wonder how they'll deal with that strange number.

The final night will be an hour long finale.

... A guy can dream, okay?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

The episode on Friday is double length, so technically 6 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

It's a shame Alexandrite couldn't get a chance to fight.