Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
i really like how this episode and the Pink Diamond reveal re-contextualizes the little laugh that Rose before welcoming Garnet to Earth in The Answer.

Garnet posted:

How I feel? I feel... uh, lost... and scared... and happy. W-why am I so sure that I'd rather be this than everything I was supposed to be, and that I'd rather do this than anything I was supposed to do?

I kind of wonder if they're intentionally playing with Rose as a trans metaphor. The show has previously established that shapeshifting is hard to do for an extended amount of time. I wonder if the fact that Rose felt so comfortable as a quartz made it transcend the usual superficial shape shifting.

Hell, are the slow modifications and evolutions we've seen of the Crystal Gems over time is a characteristic at all of Homeworld gems, or was Rose's transformation the first time that a gem changed their identity in anyway.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hemingway To Go! posted:

That's kind of interesting.
Rose was never comfortable as a Diamond, and never acted like one. She never pushed her Pearl around and was never the aggressive dictator the others expected her to be. And at first she was just shapeshifting as a Quartz for fun but later reformed her body into one. It's not explicitly a gender change and more of a change in class and role but that's part of changing gender as well.
Though making gem=gender more literally kind of messes with Garnet as a gay marriage but whatever, no metaphor is perfect.

It also would make Steven telling others that Rose was Pink a bit problematic, as he would actually be outing her. Again, no metaphor is perfect, but that's kind of a problem, I think. Maybe it's not a metaphor. I don't know.
I don't think it's worth trying to make it 1 for 1. It's evocative of an experience more than it is a direct allegory. Similar to how fusion is only sometimes a metaphor for sex on the show.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

As an episode that was barely sad, and not gay, magic, space or rocks it scores at best half a steven universe out of five. But i actually thought it was a sweet depiction of friendship through difficult times
As a teacher, I really appreciate how Steve Universe takes breaks from the action every now and again just to show the characters demonstrating self-care and appreciation for those around us. As much as the stereotype of a Steven Universe fan is adults, a lot of kids still watch.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I imagine the scribbled out part of Ruby's letter was that she was signing as garnet.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's nice that the White=A Fusion theory is pretty much done with since it's clear that there is some authority that Yellow is worried about.

Eox posted:

Great, now Homeworld has to update their iconography to White/Blue/Yellow/Steven
We!
Are there Diamond Royals!
We'll make you rue the day
And if you think we can't
We'll always find a way
That's why the people of his world
Be fear'n
Yellow
Blue
White
And Steven!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I assume they can, though. Pink did.

Maybe blue's weapon is a giant floating ball that shoots lasers. That was a pretty crazy attack for a single gem, even a diamond.
I wonder if Steven's healing powers are what we're supposed to consider Rose's main Diamond ability.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Fooz posted:

This show just seriously underdelivers on fusions in general.
I'm just waiting for the inevitable fusion between Peridot and Lapis and how much I'll cry.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Glaric posted:

It just seems a bit early for that much change.
I assume that they had already done terraforming to make stuff like the kindergarten.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

There's one option that's a bit more benign than "There's a secret threat even more dangerous than Homeworld that they're building an army to fight": they need soldiers to clear out planets of life that may resist their terraforming procedures.
Isn't this from a Star Wars expanded universe book?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Sash! posted:

It's from a lot of stuff. Automated army fights on after its creators are destroyed is a pretty common scifi thing. There's like 10 Star Trek episodes with that story. Heck, a Voyager episode had two such armies still going at it after both sides went extinct.
I meant specifically that the perceived bad guys are actually fighting off a bigger threat.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I do genuinely like how alien the gems are despite being basically humanoid. The idea of alien life being rocks that project solid holograms is pretty dope. I think the fact that the gems are so far removed from what we'd assume constitutes life ties into it's broader themes of accepting differences.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Plant MONSTER. posted:

How would you guys react if Lapis x Jasper became a thing for real towards the endgame? Like after having Steven therapy and learning how to deal with their respective problems, they reform into a mentally healthy Malachite.

Would this be a healthy positive message about the potential for change or would it be a horrible message that encourages people to stick it through abuse?
It would be a horrible message that teaches people to stick it through abuse. I think it's really worth remembering that as a kid's show, Steven Universe does a really good job of discussing emotional issues. This is a really bad lesson for the audience.

Honestly, I feel like a Lapis and Peridot relationship would be pretty important for any actual Jasper redemption arc. Lapis wanting to be with Peridot over Jasper is a living example of how hosed up Jasper's hierarchical world view is. It doesn't matter if Jasper is stronger than

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
This made me rewatch the extended intro because it's pretty great. It made me realize that the little touch of Steven barely being able to keep pace with the gems and then eventually running in front of them is literally his entire arc on the show and it was there since the first episode.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Oh yeah, there’s certainly an element of that, but take this scene. First shot, the Diamonds still appear huge and statuesque.

But in a later shot, they’re much flatter and squatter.

I feel like some shots were animated quickly and roughly just to get them done. Plus the Diamonds used to be more detailed generally, but a lot of that has fallen away. Eh, it might just be me.

I feel like these image are supporting the point you're responding to. The initial shot is demonstrating how objectively the diamonds appear like Gods compared to the gems, but the actual interaction they have with Steven reveals them to be childish, confused, and petty.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

If we got a timeskip epilogue for this show and it's set more than a decade or two past the present, I'd say it's basically a given that Steven and Connie have become Stevonnie permanently
The third to last episode was all about Ruby and Sapphire embracing the human custom of marriage because it meant that they were together even when they're not Garnet. Just like Garnet recognized the moment Greg pushed Rose to talk to him like an actual human being and called her out on her bullshit as pretty much the same as fusion. I'd really be surprised if Steven and Connie fused forever because the show has constantly depicted fusion as being only one expression of intimacy.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Satchel and Trunk posted:

I’d like it if Steven could choose to pass on his gem to a child with Connie, and in doing so become fully human. In that way, Steven could avoid the curse of immortality while also letting his own gem legacy live on in his own half-gem offspring who could then choose if they wanted to be immortal or pass it along for the next human generation as well. It would really be the best of both worlds.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Steven loses his gemness somehow by the end of the show.

I think what's definitely likely is that Steven actually becomes a teenager close to the end game.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rhonne posted:

This arc will end with Homeworld blowing up and every gem there being stranded in Beach City.
I'm pretty sure the series ends with a rendition of the opening theme song being performed on homeworld, making use of the ambiguity of the line "That's why the people of this world..." and me crying.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Captain Quack posted:

It was either the gem war or their mining practices, maybe both.

Edit: Also they were trying to terraform the planet
I assumed that Lapis Lazulis were used to create massive changes to the coasts. Not sure what the actual purpose of that is .

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I kind of wonder if we're going to see the surprise of Yellow actually being the Diamond who they have a breakthrough with instead of Blue. Blue has always come off as more sympathetic than Yellow, but we've also never really seen Blue be as monsterous as Garnet claims she is.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Steven: "Mom was a diamond who invaded Earth. Saw its beauty, and its worth."

Pearl: "We were amazed to find <beat> your beauty and your worth. And we will protect your kind. And we will protect your Earth."

Missed that.
The Pearl stuff in the extended theme is really loaded. There is the foreshadowing "If you could only know line what we really are" line, but the revelation of that line also reveals that she's sort of alternating between singing to Steven and singing to Rose. "Your beauty and your worth" applies to Earth and humanity but it also applies to Pink discovering herself. The weird repeating of "We will protect your Earth" also makes a lot more sense when you know the revelation and understand that she's singing to both Rose and Steven. She's repeating the phrase because "Your Earth" means something very different to Rose and Steven.

The little character declarations are also interesting because Amethyst and Garnet use "For" statements while Pearl uses an "in" statement "I will fight in the name of Rose Quartz." But if you swap it out for "I will for the name of Rose Quartz" it also works when you get the revelation.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I don't think it was meant to be that Pink Steven is more powerful than the other diamonds, just on a similar tier. It looked impressive, but the only thing he actually did was shrug off their attacks with his shield, and having an completely invulnerable but mostly defensive shield has always been Pink's 'weapon'.

He probably couldn't have beaten her in a straight fight but he only needed to survive.
The whole deal with the Diamonds is that their abilities mimic that of a lovely family. Blue depresses/guilts you, Yellow breaks you down, and White controls you. They foreshadowed Pink Steven beating White when Steven and Lapis were both able to get over Blue's depression powers. I think the shield was just a way to literalize that Steven/Pink/Rose were beyond White's bullshit.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 23, 2019

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Holy poo poo, does the episode "We Need to Talk" really change in context of these last batch of episodes. It includes the amazing forshadowing of Rose saying, "I'm not a real person." But White is right at some level about Rose. She was treating Greg like the Diamonds treated her with affection but with no real consideration. Rose downright sounds a lot like White in this clip. The fact that Greg calls her out in a way that Rose never called out the Diamonds is probably what made Greg so special to her to begin with.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

MikeJF posted:

She was correct about what Rose used to be. But Rose grew.
Yeah, I think there are two moments that really change Rose. One is finding Garnet. Up until that point it was just a jaunty love affair with Pearl and a childish rebellion, but Garnet actually offered something of meaning that was worth fighting for.

Greg is what made her mature though. Greg is very similar to Rose in that he's someone who left his family, created a new name and persona, and chased silly flights of fancy. The difference in Greg is that he has no shame for who he is. Greg never stops being Greg Universe. Even when he matures and becomes a millionaire, he still lives in a van because that's who Greg is.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

maltesh posted:

I love how Sunstone is a late 80's Action Figure made manifest, with the suction cup gimmick that would be prominently displayed on a corner of the blister package.
I'd be shocked if Sunstone wasn't based on Poochie. Sugar guest starred on "The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show" episode of the Talking Simpsons podcast.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Not sure if this has been called out, but I think the finale has some roots in the finale of Fooly Cooly. Specifically this scene.

There are the very weak and superficial things like the glowing pink child. But more specifically the theme of Fooly Cooly is that the only way to truly mature is to accept your own immaturity; Those who overly pose as what they think an adult is supposed to be never truly stop being children in dress up. In the end, the show's protagonist can't win by pretending to be a badass. He wins by accepting he's a kid.

I think that theme is carried over a bit in Steven Universe. The thing that Steven thinks he's been doing this whole time is trying to live up to Rose Quartz and meet some magical destiny, but there is no magical destiny. Steven beats White Diamond by finally fully accepting himself for who he is. Rose for what its worth understood this on some level with her recorded message to Steven basically saying that all that will be left of her will be love for him.

Yes, in the real world that doesn't necessarily beat abusive bullies like White Diamond. But in the real world, when facing abusive bullies, often knowing the power of loving yourself no matter what they say is all you can do.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Hey Fun Fact: Rose literally explained to us what Pink Steven is.

Pink Steven is Rose, but a Rose who has transcended herself into pure love. As Rose says, "I'm going to become half of you. And I need you to know that every moment you love being yourself, that's me, loving you, and loving being you." What we as viewers did not initially understand is how significant what Rose's words were for her growth as a character. Pink was constantly belittled and looked down upon for being different than the other Diamonds, but Rose accepts Steven/Nora unconditionally.

When we see Pink Steven, he's definitely not Pink, but a pure manifestation for that unconditional love. I think that's why Pink Steven comes off as scary. The scream of "SHE'S GONE!" and disregard for others is rooted in the fact that Pink Steven has a sort of tunnel vision as Rose's love for her son. He will gently caress poo poo up poo poo up to save Steven. I think Pink Steven on his own probably actively despises White as her treatment of Pink are really what fuel his very existence.

Human Steven is really the Steven that we know--his sense of humor, insecurities, musical talent, and his own love for his family. When they combine Pink Steven is giving his purpose: A reminder that Steven was born from the love of two imperfect people who love and accept him unconditionally and above all, the part of Steven that loves himself.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Nah man, Steven is just Steven.
Sorry, I should probably clarify.

Obviously Steven is Steven, but a lot of the episode is about the value of being accepted for who you are. Rose who is definitely a trans character is still insecure thousands of years after leaving the other diamonds. The belittlement and disregard from the other Diamonds mattered a lot to her. Steven was someone born from two outcasts who both would accept Steven no matter what. Pink Steven is only Rose in the sense of that he is that accepting love that created him. The question of why Pink Steven is so powerful is that he literally is love--and that's much stronger than White's attempt to control.

I don't think Steven embracing the living embodiment of love of himself is the opposite of the text when he sings a song about it in the end.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Double Post

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The Ultimate Doge posted:

What is the emotional hook for this new villain gonna be? She can't just be an insane Fleischer clown
My money is that she's someone who worked very hard to find her place in the universe under White Diamond's rule, and Steven's actions have uprooted her life. Steven's arc is pretty laid out that he's going to learn that despite everything, there will always be some conflict in his life. So, I think that makes sense that both her and Steven have to learn that you the world will always change.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The video is a bit of a mess even if it's not regressive.

It's just very mean spirited and grating in its presentation. It confuses actual criticism with using a dumb voice.

But the worst part is that it makes claims about animation and storytelling that are just silly.

On the animation front, its main issue with Steven is that it basically only qualifies good animation as on-model animation. It goes from making a bit of an exaggerated statement that South Korean animation is only ever as good as the storyboards presented to saying that storyboards are not an art in of themselves.

On the storytelling point, I didn't get to the apparent part of Rose not being planned as Pink, but that really is irrelevant. "Planning" is not the same thing a storytelling, but even then it's a silly comment. It's a series that has an opening sequence that tells you the actual arc of its main character and there are a ton of moments with Rose that make more sense once you know she is Pink. It also makes statements like you have to choose between being episodic and serialized--which... no you don't? It's fine to not like the townies episodes--but they're not bad on principal or Sugar "procrastinating." They try to imply that Ruby and Sapphire's decision to get married, Steven reconciling with Bismuth, and the Gems taking on Blue Diamond as filler.

I think what sucks is that they get to a point where they talk about how privileged Rose is compared to Bismuth and how problematic that makes Rose's decisions regarding Bismuth. And that's an actual interesting thing to unpack, but instead it's just used to yell about how Rose is an rear end in a top hat, nobody saw the Pink reveal as a twist, and the show is stupid.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Stenis posted:

The only good points I remember it making are that Garnet's character became too centered around fusions after the first season and Lapis is an abuser
eeeeeeeeeh

I think part of the problem with with the video is that it falls into the cliche of wanting character to be perfect and does so in a way that is weirdly inconsistent. She rallies against the idea of Pink being a sympathetic character--despite the show making it clear that Pink is really hosed up--because she's a fascist, but doesn't really carry Peridot's past as a homeworld foot soldier against her.

But regardless, she provides a clipped depiction of Lapis. Lapis didn't engage Jasper in their abusive relationship. Jasper had already imprisoned her.

I think the episode where Lapis admits that she enjoyed hurting Jasper is a really important one because abuse is not an easy thing. And there are tons of abusers who will justify their actions because their victims hit back or sometimes initiated nasty actions. It continues the cycle of abuse because it allows the victim to feel shittier about themselves and devalue their own abuse or consider themselves as being deserving of it. I like how the show took on abuse because you don't need to be a perfect person to be a victim, and a lot of Steven's arc is about learning to forgive yourself.

I think she's also missing the big bookended of the arc between Jailbreak and Reunited. In Jailbreak, Lapis wants to protect Steven, but the only way she knows how to do is by operating in cycles of abuse. Once again, I think that's a good mirror for a lot of people's experience. There are tons of abuse victims who feel like they take on abuse to contain their abuser or to shield someone else from the abuser. But it's always a losing game.

In Reunited, she's almost in the same situation, her friends and loved ones about to be hurt by another abuser in Blue. And this time, she stands with her loved ones and finds strength with them to stand up to Blue together.

And like look, I think everything I said can be unpacked and prodded and critiqued... but not by screaming and calling people idiots or claiming that Rebecca Sugar is a sexual deviant.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, quite a few of the "filler" episodes are about self-care and the need to slow down.

Lapis imprisoned Jasper, not the other way around.
Lapis was a prisoner on the ship and she was forcefully dragged back by Jasper when she tried to fly away from her and then Jasper violently handles her bullying her into fusing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

And then Lapis proceeded to drown her. Past actions don't change present ones.
I don't understand what you're arguing about?

She is Jasper's prisoner on the ship, she tries to flee Jasper, Jasper then physically restrains her, and she then enters the fusion to save Steven.

Your statement was that Jasper did not imprison Lapis when in fact she did.

There's a lot of nuance and discussion to what happened afterwards, but you can't accurately critique the subtext when you ignore the text.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

I'm not ignoring the text, I was talking exclusively about the malichite situation. Sorry, should have made that clear from the beginning. Entering it to save STeven is pretty clearly bullshit though, she had the entire ocean behind her and could have easily used that to take Jasper out. But Lapis was pissed and in a lovely situation in her life and instead made the bad choice to start abusing someone so she could have a way to release her anger.
Understood. I do feel like that's shifting the goal posts on Lapis a bit. The video straight up calls Lapis a sociopath and pushes a narrative that she's not a victim of abuse at all. Even in terms of the Malachite situation, I think it's worth going back to the scene. The way that Jasper handles Lapis and the leering looks are all pretty disturbing in terms of what they invoke. I think on that note, it's hard to argue that Lapis could have physically overpowered Jasper at the moment. She's pretty definitely weaker than her in that specific moment until they fuse.

Not trying to conflate you and the video, but more clarifying where my original comments were coming from.

I will correct myself in a bit that her action shouldn't be seen as completely selfless and like I said in my original post, it's a mistake. But Jasper is doing a lot before Lapis eventually snaps.

Thanks for clarifying though.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like the episode wasn't really that light as Steven really gets close to this sort of anti-climatic death completely alone at sea with Connie on the verge of starving to death.

This is going to be a little out there of a reading, but I know Sugar talks about how she's self-aware of how aspirational a lot of the ideas in Steven Universe are, and I think the title and song kind of speaks to that. There really are people who fight for their freedom and against fascists and try to stand up for their identity without compromise, and they meet tragic ends. I feel like Escapism acknowledges that, but we're going to do an escapist kids show where love conquers all.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Also, Sadie's arc is really good.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

ApplesandOranges posted:

If I remember right, White named Garnet's flaw as 'dependent', so yeah.

Also I know everyone wants to see a Lapidot fusion but I also kinda wanna see weird funky Lapis/Pearl and Peridot/Amethyst fusions.
I'm kind of fine with Peridot just not being into fusion and being an asexuality analogue for the show.

But, and this is a true story, I will still cry if Lapis and Peridot ever fuse.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think Garnet's the only case so far in SU of someone singing while fighting? (and it was goddamn amazing, so I imagine they don't want to wear the idea out)
I mean there's also "Do It For Her" which is more sparring/training montage.

Although we've not quite yet got the moment where the chips are done and it really does come down to Connie and I feel like that would be a really good reprise if they ever get to that moment.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Just to give two cents as an assigned male at birth person who is struggling with gender identity and currently coming down on being non-binary, it's really, really hard and confusing.

I do think I would be happier with a female body, but don't really have the desire to change my body, and don't dislike my body although I do often feel divorced from it. I kind of wish my feelings towards it were consistent. I do have stress that I am going to realize that I would be happier just straight up living as a lady later in life. It comes out more in how I talk and how I carry myself. It's been nice because I've realized that I definitely used to affect masculinity. But at the same time, I'm a beefy looking person with a pretty basic fashion sense... so I just look like a dude. And it can feel lovely because I think a lot of guys do get that there is a difference. It's not in a mean way, but there is a distance when I interact with men. But even though most of my friends are women, there is still that sort of invisible distance because to most of them, I'm a dude. So, it can be a bit lonely outside of my wife who's pretty cool with it. I also feel really, really guilty because I know that despite internally viewing myself this way and I think there is an impact on my life from living this way, I pass as male and there's a lot of privilege that comes with it. I don't really care about pronouns--they feels too wonky to me, I don't mind the male pronouns, but I do get excited when my wife uses feminine terms with me like calling me her wife. And that's how I feel, but it makes me feel kind of cowardly and then a darker part of myself sort of questions the validity of this view of myself.

This is to say a couple of things relevant to some of the posts:

If you were friends with me, you really wouldn't know that I was non-binary

I do feel weary of calling myself trans. I think for me, it's because I feel like my identity is mostly a female one, but there is something sort of holding me back to fully thinking of myself as a woman.

At the same time, and I don't think anyone was trying to cause offense, we can't make gender identity into some sort of olympics. I do genuinely understand that my specific situation (Getting to mostly live with the privilege of a CIS man and going home to really understanding and an accepting person doesn't sound like that challenging of a situation). And I don't think you're wrong, but the thing is that, it actually is still really, really challenging.

I like that Steven is both a bit gender fluid and a pudgy little boy.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

further watching episodes:

Too Short to Ride: very good
Restaurant Wars: very good, underrated

like every other commercial break they show the trailer for the movie again which is getting really annoying. Should've cut more than one for this thing (or maybe at least alternated with that Toonami one)

hot take: they played the full version of "True Kind of Love" by Estelle, and I... don't really like it? Maybe part of it is the trailer burning me out on it but really I just don't care for it.
It really feels like the corny single released with a movie from the 90s rather than the more narrative driven music we're used to from the show.

I feel like when you embrace that, it works.