Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Triskelli posted:

Great episode, but I was sure that Sardonyx would be able to figure out Steven & Amythest like to eat

Quoting from last thread to say me too, but that's because I get a weird Kirby vibe from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Troposphere posted:

I like smokey a whole lot they cute

Ditto also they're like an evil clown but good.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

KC Green drew a Peridot.

https://twitter.com/kcgreenn/status/764918436225028096

He also draws Pokemon.

https://twitter.com/kcgreenn/status/764924957851807745

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

A gem with a deep masculine sounding voice who uses female pronouns and has an extremely feminine appearance is actually something I'd really like.

Let Patrick Warburton voice a gem.

Dr Mrs the Moonstone?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Flying-PCP posted:

Connie starts the episode irritable for an unspecified reason. Steven jokes about the bald wig "my dad said this would happen but I didn't think it would be overnight"

uh...huh
Ehhh, it's been done.

:v:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah, Lars and Sadie both blushed when they saw Stevonnie, but it's impossible to know how they perceived them (male, female, androgynous). As far as I remember, Kevin's the only one who uses gendered language about them (though he notably doesn't in Beach City Drift when he knows they're two kids).

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Megaspel posted:

Did St. Elsewhere start the whole 'It was all a dream' trope or did something else do it?

I made a St. Elsewhere joke about some cartoon and someone sincerely said I was being offensive to people with autism.

Well there was the Wizard of Oz. Probably every soap opera had an episode or arc resolve that way. If the snow globe is involved it's a st elsewhere riff, but otherwise it's such a generic plot turn that there's no one originator.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

CJBurgandy posted:

Is that the big pink haired lady that Pearl is blushing at in that promo?

I'm just quoting you to say this is going to be your favorite episode.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Gangringo posted:

I would trust the writers to create a gem that eventually chooses a masculine form and uses male pronouns naturally without going too far into "very special episode" territory.

Yeah, while I would hope for a human character, I get the feeling any exploration of gender identity would probably be limited to the gem characters.

The show's already dipped a toe in the water with Steven's non binary fusions, keeping the fig leaf of "magical beings" over having to worry about gender theory 101.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Flying-PCP posted:

This episode was probably some kind of foreshadowing. Maybe.

Well the kids did some very Steven-like things--healing powers, joining together to look like an adult, though it's murkier with the bug race.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I told you guys I was going to get egg Pearl.

Bonus video.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Junpei Hyde posted:

It even has the long hiatuses down pat.

And airing in different countries first.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Diamonds are hard in that they're resistant to scratches and abrasions and it won't break if you just like, drop it on the ground, but you can shatter one yourself with a hammer.

This doesn't really apply when talking about magic space rocks, but still.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

These eps were good.

I like everything to do with the Diamond designs the most, so far. They're alien without being too weird--both visually (Yellow's big neck, Blue's weird egg head) and musically (their dissonant un-music theme music).

I wanted to doodle the egghead.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

When my partner got home, we sat down to watch them on On Demand a few hours ago and all 5 were listed. We watched first two with no problem, but when we loaded the others they had an ad for a Nickelodeon show instead and then kicked us back to the main menu :lol:.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Whiz Palace posted:

I wonder if the overseas animation team enjoyed working on that.

I bet they did, it showed the country in a positive light and they probably got to put in their own references to the areas the Universes visit.

Conversely, when the Simpsons made a crack about their overseas animation studio, the studio got really upset and initially refused to animate the scene.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Literally Kermit posted:

That's arguably the point. When Pink Diamond was shattered, so was the harmony among the remaining Diamonds, to the point where their entire society has been affected by their grief 5,000 years plus later.

Related to this I think--and hope--the direction they're taking with the Diamonds is to show how to overcome loss and deal with unhealthy ways of grieving.

Blue Diamond's been a giant weeping mess clinging to the past and Yellow Diamond's a bundle of misdirected rage. Who knows what White Diamond's doing right now, but if she's around I suspect she'd be the "I'm never leaving bed again" kind of depressed grief.

The Diamonds are so socially isolated that they both feel their pain is unique, that no one could possibly understand it, and that there's no way to cope with it. Greg's brief talk with Blue Diamond helped her a little, but I think they're going to need a scene (in song form obviously) to unpack that it's ok to feel mad/sad/etc but that you also need to deal and move on.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

LemonLimeTime posted:

By the way, this was posted on this thread before, but does anyone know the original source/link for this completely flawless cosplay?

Found the Rose cosplayer's blog, couldn't immediately find an answer for the Pearl.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I think they're more like big loose curls like his mom's hair.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Both of the Diamonds are selfish myopic assholes. Blue Diamond's pity is boundless, but only for herself. Yellow Diamond has anger issues and is vicious towards anything and anyone that challenges her incredibly narrow worldview. They're so caught up in obsessing over Pink Diamond that they don't notice or care about the pain they cause everyone else, maybe they never cared even before Pink was shattered.

Depending on what White Diamond's deal is, I've been assuming the Diamonds are expressing different forms of grief. Blue is withdrawn into herself and is obsessing over the dead while Yellow is angry and trying to force herself to forget. The problem is neither seems to have acknowledged the other's feelings--I genuinely think Greg is the first person to ever try and talk to Blue about her loss and connect with her feelings.

I found a quote by Rebecca Sugar about Yellow Diamond's song that I think backs up my thoughts, anyway.

quote:

When asked "What is your thinking behind the song 'What's The Use Of Feeling (Blue)?'"

So the song I was the most excited, that we get to see the Diamonds when they don't know they're being seen, when they think that they're alone. And Blue and Yellow are equals and opposites and they're both still reeling from this loss and I wanted to show the ways that they're dealing with it. Blue is determined to hold on to everything and be affected by everything. And Yellow doesn't want to be affected by anything --- wants to let everything go. I'm interested in exploring how everyone-how everyone's been affected.

Basically, these ladies need therapy and open communication :v:.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Nuts to you both, I have one of these and Egg Pearl is the best.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The titles for the new episodes are in English, the French titled ones are older episodes.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

OldTennisCourt posted:

I can't be the only one picturing Pink talking up Rose to the other diamonds right?

"Wow guys, have you heard how hot and cool Rose is? Man....I don't think we can stop someone as amazing and awesome as her. I even heard she has an awesome sword too!"

A buddy of mine saw Rose Quartz on the battlefield. Said she was shredded. That she had an eight pack.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Unless you mean how Siberia is a giant crater, in which case it hasn't come up in the show.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I can't believe the mailman is Buck's new step dad now.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

chitoryu12 posted:

In real life, this happens often with kids who have a "best friend" parent. Sometimes they let that relationship go two ways when it really should only be going one way: you want to be your kid's best friend as they grow up so they always have someone they can turn to when things are rough, but you don't want your kid to be your best friend because children aren't equipped to deal with adult issues like that. By having to grow up with his parental figures relying on him to teach them to get through their emotional trauma and issues, his own development compared to his peers has been hosed up.

Notably, he recognizes at the end that he's doing that exact thing to the cactus: he's dumping all his emotional problems on it when it's impressionable and not remotely equipped to deal with them until it reaches a boiling point where it's a raging angry thing because all it's ever seen Steven express is being upset and lashing out.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Ultraklystron posted:

Yeah, Steven basically had to raise the Crystal Gems & Greg, so he doesn't feel comfortable bringing them his problems, and he's probably right to realize they're not gonna be much help, as he knows they're only sort of just now getting self-actualized themselves again.

Maybe they'll get to it in the finale, but I'm surprised there wasn't more done with Cactus Steven and the allegorical way Steven raised it. I was thinking there'd be a realization that him dumping all his problems on it without letting it experience any real growth or a healthy learning environment was pretty similar to his own.

Steven never got to grow up because he had to already BE grown-up in a lot of ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Utena is very good and there were a lot of visual references to it in SU. It does need a warning for things like explicit depictions of physical and sexual abuse, but it's definitely worth watching, imo.