Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Stabb
Jun 28, 2016

Share your recent music acquisitions here. Vinyl, CDs, tapes, Whether it's stuff you've never heard before, or favorites you finally got a physical copy of, or new copy, let's show off our material possessions!

A few weeks ago, a large collection of records in mint-y condition showed up at a record store in the city I until recently lived. The owners were very good friends of mine and helped me through some hard times, and the collection was mostly 80s stuff falling under the "post-punk" umbrella, which is very much my thing. So, as soon as the shop posted the collection on facebook, to help out and get myself some cool stuff before it was gone, I sent a PM to the owner requesting they move a few records to my new address as soon as they got a money order from me. The records I got came in the mail today. Let's take a look:

Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead single
This is what I most wanted, an original single of my favorite song by a band I like very much. Cool, long version of "Bela Lugosi's Dead" with the long, ominous intro with the bat wing noises

The Housemartins - London 0 Hull 4
I don't have much to say about this album except that it's very pleasant and I've liked it a lot since high school but only ever had digital copies. It basically sounds like the Smiths, but with left-wing Marxist lyrics.

Gang Of Four - Entertainment!
One of my favorite post-punk albums, definitely my favorite Go4 release. a mess of jagged guitars and nervous vocals screaming about alienation and capitalism.

Michelle Shocked - Short, Sharp, Shocked
The only record in these four I have never heard. I'm waiting a few days to listen to these so that I can put them on during a day off while cleaning my house, and I'm very excited and curious about this record. Apparently, Michelle Shocked is one of the quintessential 80s originators of folk-punk (before it got all tumblr-y and cute like Days 'N' Daze and whatever poo poo is popular right now that is called folk-punk)

So there you have it! Share and discuss music purchases you've recently made!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I just recently went to the record store down the street from where I live for the second time ever (the first time was 12 years ago). Found the most recent posthumous release by my favorite musician, Elliott Smith, which is the soundtrack to a documentary about him from 2014 called Heaven Adores You. I wasn't even aware of the doc, much less the soundtrack. It's comprised mostly of rough demos and live versions of songs I already know well, which is still a goldmine for a nerd like me who made my own double album of unreleased songs from hundreds of rare tracks I've downloaded over the years. The liner notes are even loaded with comments from the documentarians about each track.

The store itself was pretty cool, hit all the stereotypical marks you'd expect of an independent record stord in the post-record store era. It's too bad I despise music now, I'd have been in heaven living so close to a place like this a few years ago.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You despise music? huh.

Anyways, in an effort to branch out of the exclusive metal kick I've been on the last two years. I bought the Jamie XX album and Dressy Bessy for my wife. (I don't know any of the songs but she's happy)

I also bought Sacrafago's Die...... hard! which is a new lp of all their old demos from Grey Haze Records. I haven't got it yet but I look forward to the nostalgia kick I'm sure to get.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I got one hold on

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Was at a barnes and Noble last week and they had like one 2 ft section of records. Appetite for Destruction for $25 seemed a bit unreasonable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Was at a barnes and Noble last week and they had like one 2 ft section of records. Appetite for Destruction for $25 seemed a bit unreasonable

I like seeing vinyl on sale at places like B&N because there will inevitably be some ignorant older person gawking and saying, "Records are back, hah! I'll be!"

• Locked thread