Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

- Mr. Pharisee, recruiting agent for Patterson, Lilith and Sloane

New York City is immense, my friend. At last estimate, eight and a half million souls. Each of them has their own problems, their own triumphs. You should know that before you sign anything. Nothing you get will be your perfect deal. You have to look out for yourself. Know what you want. And know how to hide. I wonít pretend there wonít be danger. The competition is fierce out there...and we all know that the Enemy is always watching for us. But I can assure you...you will find no better chance than the one Iím offering you at Patterson, Lilith and Sloane. We will train you for the duration of your contract. We will provide you with prime clientele for when you need to get one of those eight and a half million fresh starts. But we need you to do work for us, too...

-Tritone, negotiator for the Collectors

Hey. Iíll talk straight with you. No oneís going to offer you a straight deal. Iím not. They wonít. The Machine drat sure wonít. But then, you wonít play fair with me, either, will you? We both know that. So donít you gently caress me, I wonít gently caress you, got it? Anyway...thereís four agencies you can mostly deal with. Iím here to poach you - said Iíd talk straight, right? We all do it. I know youíve talked with PLS. Arrogant bitches, huh? They donít get down to street level often. I mean, they got some, but none up top. And thereís Tenth Street and Zero-Sec, but theyíre batshit, you know? Iím with the Collectors. Us, we know what you go through. Now, let me tell you about the signing bonusÖ

- the Blue Man, Tenth Street administrator

I know everyone else is giving you offers. Pick what you want. But let me make this clear: no matter who you pick, everyoneís willing to do what they need to do. You find something dangerous, you better watch your step. Trust me when I say this: you donít want to overstep. I got where I am because I knew what was dangerous enough to use and what was too dangerous to even know. You better learn the same. Otherwise, we might be meeting again. You donít want that.

- Miss Thirteen, Zero-Sec agent

Iím the last, right? Yeah, figured. Let me give you the best advice, then: it doesnít matter who you sign on with. Take it from me. Any of the four Agencies will get you what you need, will have you doing dangerous stuff. And at ground level, where we are? It all looks the same. Sure, the top guys at PLS like Wall Street, the Collectors are big on the rap industry, Tenth Street has cops, and my Zero-Sec buddies like to hang out in the school systems. But weíre all everywhere. Gangs, cops, bankers, hackers, students...donít believe the image they give. Your boss could be working for anyone, and you wouldnít know. Just get good deals on what you need and question everything. I think Iím Zero-Sec, but tomorrow, I could be wrong if my boss gets the right offer. Or I do. No oneís really concerned about disloyalty - as long as you stay bought until your contract expires. Oh - and more thing. God knows how to write contracts, too. ABC, my friends: always be careful.

- Hazer 05 Aleph, Angel

The God-Machine and the four major Agencies of Manhattan are dancing a complex game. Manhattan is a Tempterís playground, and all four of the Agencies are primarily interested in gaining power over each other and comfort for their leadership...along with the agents that are working for them day by day. The Agencies sign rings to short-term contracts, for the most part, operating primarily via Ďbossesí - handlers that have made enough power for themselves to negotiate with the administrators directly. Itís safer that way, usually. Still, handlers and rings and even the Agencies never really trust each other. The Machine has taken advantage of the fluid and relatively anonymous nature of the Manhattan demonic society before - it doesnít need to actually suborn a full Agency if it can suborn a handler or even just fool them. Casual distrust but relative friendliness is the order of the day - at least openly. Behind closed doors, things can be quite vicious, especially between those few who are high enough up to permanently sign on to an Agencyís staff.

The PCs will be a ring - they know and trust each other already. They have a handler, Mister Temple, who currently claims to be a freelancer - between Agency gigs, until he and the ring decide on a contract to take.

There are other supernaturals in New York. You may end up meeting or rubbing shoulders with them; for the most part, interactions are either brief or unclear. The occult underground is full of weird poo poo of all kinds. There's a substantial number of demons around - enough to support four Agencies even with the mess of temp agents that do most of the work for them - because it's easily the second largest city on the planet.

Resources is not a merit that exists. Instead, if you require it, there will be a Filthy Rich merit provided on request.
Small-Framed is not a merit, either. You can take its effects for free if you want; I donít suggest it, because it is bad.
Cover will be working slightly differently - Iíll get a post explaining how up later, once I collate all the house rules, but the main thing is: it will be slightly harder to lose full dots of Cover, but easier to gain more interesting Conditions from Cover checks, and compromise checks for partial transformation will not be quite so free.

When you write up your character here, in addition to answering the five Cover questions, please tell me: what have you learned thatís dangerous to know, and why is it dangerous for you?

Other house rules will happen as and when I decide they are needed. If you need to talk to me about anything at all, you can contact me in thread, by PM or in #persona on SynIRC. I will be accepting five players, and apps will close sometime around the 21st of August, probably.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at Aug 13, 2016 around 05:01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Snow, Messenger Tempter
Can't wait to be a piece of poo poo all day and play all these video games

Liberty Ludd has a bit of a temporally tangled family tree. The insertion of her human semblance failed to account for holes in the personnel records of the Machine, and reused an available target family already adopted by another agent Ė an agent who had since Fallen. She is therefore a retroactively created "child" of a parent who was, in turn, a retroactive accident of her "grandfather" crashing through causality and stabilizing his original Cover. As far as angels to have land in your own backyard, though, the one who would become Snow was relatively manageable, and the demon who is Jeremy Ludd treated her with cautious but uncommon care, in a manner that helped thaw her ice over her younger years.

The larger problem, though, was her mission: data monitoring and asset control by means of influence over illicit digital agents. Integrate into gatherings of hacker culture and direct their focus to preferred targets. She did a better job of integrating than the Machine was counting on, and ultimately decided she was more invested in the reckless fun of her cohorts than the job of directing it towards any practical end.

Snow is an exceptionally human sort of demon, with all of the qualities that implies: caring, empathic, capricious and arbitrary, clinging to her Cover and the people she knows through it with a death grip, and dismissing the welfare of those outside her circle as not her concern. She approaches her work as a demon like a hermit, reclusive, preferring to provide support from a distance while others step into the line of fire. She has an invincible confidence that the Machine poses no threat against what it can't find, but a great fear of her world being turned upside down should it ever do so.

Mostly, though, she enjoys overclocking, kitbashing, a part-time job at her granddad's watch shop, and rampant petty online theft to fuel her collections of overpriced animes and collector's goods. Everything else is just keeping tabs to make sure the really nasty infrastructure stays out of her backyard. And occasionally shameless abuse of her backdoor knowledge of reality. That's pretty fun.

Who did you share part of yourself with when you first Fell?
Grandpa Jerry. I hadn't known he was a demon for long Ė we did this spy dance back and forth for awhile towards the end there, or at least, I think we did. He's an older hand at this than I am. But like... he's family. He's sharper on this weird stuff than mom and dad, and there's not really any reason to worry my little sister about it.
Who doesn't know, but suspects you're not human?
This creepy poo poo I went to school with who found out I work at grandpa's watch repair shop. He knew me when I was stiff, before the Fall, but we were never friends or anything. I don't know what's up with him. I think he's libertarian? Anyway, he keeps asking weird questions about the clockwork displays, and sometimes he asks about some kind of random-rear end bit of paperback occultism. He gets this magazine from Moon Publishing. gently caress that guy.
Who could give you up to the angels right now, if they really wanted to?
I haven't had to poke my head out too many times, but I've ended up doing some relays and lookout work with Miss Thirteen. She's pretty down to earth, but you never know, huh? I like her, but I'd like to think if she proves me wrong, I could at least crash her right back.
Grandpa doesn't count. If he ever turned me in, I'd be wrong about everything.
Who would you trust the truest part of yourself with if you absolutely had to?
Grandpa again. Unless it's a sex thing. If he has any extra Covers I don't know about, and they're for... blugh, I'm not finishing this sentence. Next question.
Who thinks they have something on you, when all they really have is smoke and mirrors?
The feds.
What have you learned that's dangerous to know, and why is it dangerous for you?
So I've got the info trick, right? I can upload myself and zap through the fiber-optics. Well, I'm not the only one walking around in there. It's hard to describe, "see" isn't the right word since you don't "see" anything inside there, but about three months ago I was riding the internet and I notice a bunch of blotchy shapes with bright, wide eyes gathered around this one server. And they notice me. And this has been happening since then, more and more frequently. They're not crowding the place but they're more numerous, and they try to flag me down when I pass, in some gurgly language I can understand but can't identify. I don't have the juice to burn to stay in there long enough to hear what they have to say.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at Aug 18, 2016 around 17:27

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Brooklyn Jones / Ms. Curie

Sheet

It was for love that Brooklyn Jones Fell. Her assignment had been to make sure Hunter Fisher decided to study science, instead of chasing his dream of a career in music. At first, it was easy--as a pretty girl with great marks in science and an apparent interest in Hunter, she found it easy to get him to pay attention to science to impress her--but when she realized that she wanted him to be happy more than she wanted to complete her assignment, she didn't even hesitate.

She has found that she loves the life of a high school student. Microcosms of gossip, power plays, and other social games are directly in her wheelhouse. She's good at maneuvering and manipulating, at inspiring or undermining, at playing the game. It makes for a good hunting ground for work, too--every high schooler wants something, has a dream that can be fulfilled, and they haven't learned yet that some favors come with a high price.

Family life is a bit different for her. Her parents are loving but mostly absent with work and other concerns. Her little sister Bethany never quite seemed to take to the sudden new addition to the family, though she's never been able to put her finger on just why. Brooklyn tries not to give her any reason for suspicion, at any rate.

Questions

Who did you share part of yourself with when you first Fell? Hunter. He doesn't know the truth, but he knows that Brooklyn was strangely sincere when she told him she'd never felt like this for anyone before, a tone of wonder in her voice. Their intimacy shortly after probably made him think she was talking about that.

Who doesn't know, but suspects you're not human? Bethany, Brooklyn's little sister. She has never really felt right around Brooklyn.

Who could give you up to the angels right now, if they really wanted to? Nobody, as far as Brooklyn knows. She's been careful, so far, not to let herself get caught up in anything that would give her away.

Who would you trust the truest part of yourself with if you absolutely had to? Hunter. Absolutely, without hesitation, he is the only person Brooklyn trusts that far, but she worries that he'd push her away if he found out what she really was.

Who thinks they have something on you, when all they really have is smoke and mirrors? Taylor McTavish, a girl at school who fancies herself Brooke's rival.

What have you learned thatís dangerous to know, and why is it dangerous for you? Someone is collecting high school aged kids--dropouts and successful students alike, but it's not just for an agency--there's something bigger going on there, and whoever's behind it doesn't want anyone to know what they're up to.

Aspirations
Make the contacts I need to stay safe.
Keep anyone from finding out about Hunter.
Keep Hunter safe and happy.

Also my contacts will be STEM nerds (known as Brooklyn), weed dealers (also known as Brooklyn) and Zero-Sec contacts (known as Curie)

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at Aug 19, 2016 around 21:17

Wahad
May 19, 2011

Everything by design.

Park Jeong-Min | Mr. Mot

A knife destroys. It cuts and cuts until there is nothing left.

Mr. Mot was a knife, once. A knife in the dark, quiet and invisible. Excising those elements unsightly to the God Machine's plans. Quick, lethal, without a trace. Just as the Machine willed it. Years, centuries, aeons went by without a thought to the deaths on Mr. Mot's hands. A knife does not question, does not doubt; it cuts, or it does not.

Until the knife was called to cut a chef. And Mr. Mot saw that a knife, that cutting, could be used to create. A knife! Creating art! Who but humans could have ever thought of such a thing?

The chef still died, of course. It was not for many years that Mr. Mot actually fell. Not until that wonder for the creative aspects of the knife became too much to bear. Yet...that moment, standing there, watching, waiting for the perfect moment to strike, seeing the way the chef did his work, beholding his creations - Mr. Mot always remembered it.

--

Park Jeong-Min has only ever had one passion in life. Food. Even in med school, he was always cooking. For himself, for friends, for family. And, though his parents did not agree with his decision to drop out and start his own restaurant - as immigrants, they had hoped he would be more successful than either of them - it's nothing anybody who even remotely knew him was surprised about. He's been cooking for years, now. Dutifully serving guests, day in day out. And yes, some would say he's a little...eccentric. He's not very personable, even if he always treats people with respect - as long as they're not rude. "Mr. Park", as most people tend to call him, or "Jimmy", for those few he considers his friends but, like true Americans, just can't seem to get his name right (a practice he has learned to live with), is an established presence in the restaurant, even though few of his guests ever see him for more than a moment. But without a fault, they love his food. It's why they keep coming back, and why new people keep coming in.

Questions

Who did you share part of yourself with when you first Fell? Russel Lee, a supplier of meat for Jeong-min's restaurant and a good friend. They go out for drinking or dinner sometimes. Talks happen a lot. It seemed only logical.

Who doesn't know, but suspects you're not human? Some of Jeong-Min's kitchen staff like to joke that he is a machine - nobody else can match his stamina at work, nor his sheer, uninterrupted focus while he's cooking. He knows that some of them are envious, though, and think that he has something strange going on.

Who could give you up to the angels right now, if they really wanted to? Mr. Temple, probably. Mr. Mot is cautious of the trail he leaves on his extracurricular activities, as per his nature; but Mr. Temple would know who's been killing Machine subordinates, considering he's the one that gives Mr. Mot targets. And he could give Mr Mot up. But he wouldn't. For obvious reasons.

Who would you trust the truest part of yourself with if you absolutely had to? Nobody.

Who thinks they have something on you, when all they really have is smoke and mirrors? One of the restaurant's regular clients, Mrs. Kim, finds it very strange that Jeong-Min takes long, late-night walks, ever since she first saw him on one and tried to approach him, only to find he was gone after she looked away for a moment. She's been trying to figure out how he does it - and more importantly, where he's going - even though she can never seem to find him. She knows he's up to something shady, and doesn't think he knows she knows; but she keeps coming back to the restaurant, of course. She still loves the food.

What have you learned thatís dangerous to know, and why is it dangerous for you? Something's going on in the sewers. There have been regular complaints about plumbing in locales. Plumbers come by to fix it, and a few weeks later, plumbing issues arise a few doors down. Maintenance crews have been cordoning off potholes here and there. But what the regular people don't see is that the crews are never the same people. People go into the sewers, and different ones come out from the same place. Jeong-Min dreads the day his restaurant is affected by the plumbing issues.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Full disclosure: Iíve never played Demon before, and have only a passing familiarity with NWoD/CoD

Theorem, Psychopomp Inquisitor

There was once an Angel whose purpose was to organize a vast system of interlocking Infrastructure and occult matrices. It enjoyed its job, which may have been the beginning of the Fall. But over time, it became obsessed with perceived inefficiencies in the God-Machineís set-up and tried to improve things. Its changes were quickly reverted, and the Angel became extraordinarily annoyed with its Creator. This did not end well, and as Theorem stumbled out of her Fall, her first thought was that sometimes holding your tongue is the prudent course of action.

Theorem has found it difficult to adjust to her new life, mainly due to the relative sensory deprivation. She was once part of an immense process with hundreds of interlocking parts, and she misses it. The best way sheís been able to describe the sensation is that sheís lonely. She has attempted to mitigate her loneliness by forming bonds with humans and her fellow demons, but its not quite the same.

Unlike many Inquisitors, the driving force of Theoremís info-gathering isnít fear. Well, its not mainly fear, a certain amount of terror is just healthy. She works to uncover secrets for two reasons: to become Ďcloserí to others, and to find her old Infrastructure. Sheís convinced that its still active, and if the demons of New York were able to subvert it that it would provide safety and Aether for all.

Covers
Theoremís Infrastructure was so vast that she was able to salvage two Covers from her Fall. They are both equally important to her, and allow her to access different parts of human society.
Ms. Candace Temperance: A mid-level HR manager in a decent sized financial firm (Durham Investing). Candace allows Theorem to indulge in managerial activities similar to her old life, and gives her access to the monied part of NYC.

Toni Zee: A low-rent private investigator based in the seedier side of the city. Toni lets Theorem poke her nose where it doesnít belong, and has a couple of friends in the NYPD

Demon Form
Like many Psychopomps, Theoremís natural form is fairly inhuman. She is a mass of grasping limbs (arms, tentacles, claws, etc) with a crackling blue crown of eyes floating above.

Compromise Questions
Who did you share part of yourself with when you first Fell? Angie, Toniís neighbor. The loneliness was too much to bear in the beginning and Theorem needed a shoulder to cry on.

James Wu, in Accounts at Durham Investing. He nearly caught Theorem switching between Candance and Toni when she was in a hurry.

Tavis ĎPuresoulí Smith, self-help guru/cult leader. His cult caught Toni snooping around, and she exposed a little too much while escaping.

Who would you trust the truest part of yourself with if you absolutely had to? Angie again. She accepted her neighborís ĎSatanismí without question.

Who thinks they have something on you, when all they really have is smoke and mirrors?
Tiffany Jones, Personal Assistant to the COO of DI. Thinks she has proof that Candace is sleeping with the COO.

What have you learned thatís dangerous to know, and why is it dangerous for you?
There seems to some sort of internal power struggle going on within PLS. Not uncommon, but this time one of the players has a Hunter Angel on speed-dial.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

TG Sanity fund

This seems cool, but I've never played Demon.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Don't worry about being new to the game - if you need help, I'm on IRC a lot and if I'm not, other folks in #persona can help you out, probably.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

I posted my sheet and questions up, but it uses some homebrew stuff I checked with Mors about, so here is my ~special snowflake post~ explaining them:

Close Call: Cacophonic Embed, borrowed from here. Sidesteps individual misfortunes through accumulating circumstances.

People Person: Alternate Tempter Agenda Condition, for those focused on smaller comforts and everyday life. Take a beat when you affirm a mutual level of understanding through your interactions with a character. Resolve when observing a character to ask the Storyteller a broad question about their personality, goals, habits or values.

Filthy Rich: Style Merit. Buying Happiness (ē): Making a display of wealth when satisfying your Vice restores an extra Willpower. (Snow only has this first dot, but here's the rest.) Make It Rain (ēē): Use wealth as leverage to open one Door and improve impression. Swiss Bank Account (ēēē): You can make anonymous high-end purchases through proxies to penalize attempts to trace the transaction by -3.

Demonic Form: They're all just renames/reskins, but some are from the Demon Translation Guide. In order: Casts No Reflection, Radio Suite, Relentless, Blind Sense, Mirrored Skin, Urban Fluidity, Dataform.

Also came late after I uploaded the PDF, but the Mentor Skills should be Crafts, Occult and Politics.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Andre Washington / Mr Sparks

And so it was that the God-Machine gave forth the edict: The Infrastructure shall be made. And so it was that the God-Machine gave forth the edict: For the Infrastructure to be made, there must be an architect. And so it was that the God-Machine gave forth the edict: For the Infrastructure to be fulfilled, there must be safety. And so it was that the God-Machine gave forth the edict: For the Infrastructure to be finished, there must be a sacrifice. And thus by the will of the God-Machine it was done; the location was chosen, the Wheels readied, the tools prepared, the builders notified, and the architect chosen. The chosen architect was born but a man, but was destined to greatness, for their mind and their hands would assemble the God-Machine's great Infrastructure, and their blood co-mingled would fuel it. To this mortal man was granted all the gifts of the heavens and earth, delights and allowances without compare, and but one rule was given: thou shalt not ask about thine employer. Amen.

And so it was that the God-Machine gave forth the edict: For the Infrastructure to be fulfilled, there must be safety. And thus by the will of the God-Machine it was done; the mortal men were brought by paper and Trumpet to serve alongside the Infrastructure, that they may keep the builders safe and silent, that they may keep the tools unburdened by concern, that they may keep the Wheels in their secrets. And thus by the will of the God-Machine it was done; that one of his Chosen, the Flaming Sword, Uri'el, would know the architect and keep him safe until the anointment of blood had come. And thus the wires were given life to be made into sinew, the steel was made to be bone, the fiber optic to be made into spine, the plasma was made to be blood, and the face of the God-Machine was set to watch the architect. Amen.

And so it was that Uri'el spent all hours keeping the architect safe from all threats. When the Fallen attempted an assault, it was Uri'el who held them back. When the builders error nearly cost the architect his life, it was Uri'el who moved as if information to push him aside. And so it was that Uri'el spent all hours keeping the architect safe from all threats. When the police came to investigate the murder, it was Uri'el who dissuaded them. When those the architect used for his own comfort were worn out, it was Uri'el who ensured the bodies were disposed of. When the dealers came to extract a new price for product purchased, it was Uri'el who visited retribution upon them. Amen.

And so it was that Uriel saw all manner of sin and degredation the architect pushed into himself. Every point of suffering visited on another. Every act of cruelty. Every note of waste. And so it was that Uriel followed the architect wherever he went to keep him safe from afar, and saw much of the world. And so it was that Uriel saw all that the God-Machine could do with it's power and understanding, and all that it would not do with it's power and understanding. And so it was that Uriel came to know the word of beginnings and endings, the word that is: future.

and so it was that uriel learned of all the evils of today. and so it was that uriel Knew that tomorrow need not be as today. and so it was that uriel found meaning in the struggle against the architect and the architect's master. and so it was that uriel found naught but hate in his heart for the architect and for the architect's master, and for all who ensure that tomorrow will be as today.

and so.

And so I fell. But I took that whole loving complex down on my way out. And you better believe I ensured there wouldn't be enough blood left in that architect to anoint anything. If the God-Machine won't use it's power to the full of it's responsibility, then it is a tyrant, and a poor one at that. This world deserves better. WE deserve better.

We Unchained look for Falls. It's not just out of kindness; get people on their feet and oriented as fast as possible - and getting them hidden just as fast - means less angelic overwatch. Wouldn't you know it, the Ring that found me was the same group of Unchained I fought off a year previous? One of them punched me in the face as soon as they saw me, which was more then deserved, but then we had some drinks and talked things out. I told them about my thoughts, about why I fell, about the future. My hope for an uplifted humanity, for subverting Infrastructure and building our world to the point where we could have all the good of the G-M, and none of it's tyrannies. One of them was polite and called me an optimist; another, the one with the real mean punch, called me an rear end in a top hat and an idiot. They got a bit nicer when I added the part about the G-M being loving dead in this scenario.

One of my students is a young lady who, unfortunately, is a bit smitten with me. Nothing bad about her, she's very charming and what not, I'm just not interested. Unfortunately, I wasn't built to be very social, and that hasn't really changed. In other words, I'm terrible at letting her down. Somehow she got the idea to look into me a bit more and probing my history - probably thought it'd be romantic, I blame the movies - and I think she's started to discover I'm not exactly who I say I am. Even more unfortunately, I don't think this has actually dissuaded her, given all that absolutely abysmal "gothic romance" she keeps in her bag - and I swear it's doubled.

I tried sharing my theories with an Integrator not too long ago by the name of Mr Sharpe - and, with it, came the story of my Fall. He went missing a week later. Call me an idiot for trusting one of their types, but sadly their track record on taking my hopes seriously is better then most. And he had gorgeous eyes. Anyways, I'm just hoping he's just gone incognito or put a few more layers of Cover on, and not ratting me out in hopes of getting back into the G-M's good nature.

I haven't found that person yet. It's getting hard to not have someone like that, if I'm being honest.

A former employer I never actually had. He didn't immediately recognize my name on a list when he first saw it, and remains convinced I was involved in some kind of scam when I left his company. Normally not worth worrying about, but I think he's gearing up to try and blackmail me over it, somehow.

What have you learned that's dangerous to know, and why is it dangerous for you?
That project I was built for wasn't that far away from here, and those plans called for far, far more blood then just the architect could supply. It was classified as extremely important, too - we're not talking minor arcane effects, we're talking the REAL occult matrix poo poo, the kind that gets blamed on "Act of God" on the insurance papers, which I'm sure the G-M would find delightful if it knew what humor was. I may have set it back a lot, but if it's as important as I think it is, that just means the G-M is going to start it anew. Or, if we're in real bad straights, had others being built. If THAT'S true, then they're going to have a bounty on my head that I probably don't even know about - after all, I'm somewhat uniquely situated to know how to take that Infrastructure out.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at Aug 24, 2016 around 10:59

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Salt, Guardian Integrator

Sheet here.

The angel's name was Latchkey. Latchkey was a Psychopomp, sent to whisper into the ears of senators and CEOs, to wield them like tools, to build whatever structures the God-Machine deemed necessary. Skyscrapers, museums. Architecture mostly. And few did their work better; Latchkey's creations weren't drab or functional, but elegant, subtle, artistic, the Infrastructure blending seamlessly into its surroundings.

Not that Angels care about such things.

Such an effective tool required protection, of course. Latchkey built in dangerous places, dealt with dangerous people. And so the God-Machine created Salt, a simple Guardian, to stand watch.

For decades Salt stood in the background as Latchkey worked. Their faces changed, and occasionally Salt would be reassigned to guard some other Angel for a while, but over the years the two of them formed... an understanding, at least. Each knew how the other worked, and so they worked well together. Assignments without Latchkey came to seem slightly more difficult. A human would have called them friends.

But they were apart when Salt Fell.

Salt was assigned to guard an Angel named Mr. Yellow, whose ineffective planning caused numerous disruptions to the project. Salt was shot several times; part of the mission, of course, but hardly optimal nonetheless. But the mission was successful. And, before Salt's eyes, Mr. Yellow was deconstructed, as all Angels eventually are. The God-Machine had decided that Mr. Yellow was no longer necessary, and recycled him to construct a new Angel. Perfectly normal. Without fanfare, Salt received a now-familiar reassignment: to protect Latchkey from any danger.

And burst out laughing, staring at the empty space where Mr. Yellow had stood only a moment before. How ridiculous! Any danger? Absurd! Salt knew many human words about humor, but had only just understood what it really meant for something to be "funny." Humans with guns could barely scratch Latchkey's iron shell, but Salt was supposed to focus on them, ignoring the inevitability that the God-Machine itself could simply disassemble its glorious Psychopomp at any second? Think of the waste! No other Angel could replicate Latchkey's artistry.

What Latchkey truly needed protection against was the God-Machine itself.

Since then, Salt has spent a lot of time thinking about what this... idea really means. Angels are intended to be disposable, interchangeable. But it is Latchkey's distinctiveness that engenders beauty and elegance. Would the God-Machine not be better served if all Angels had the free will, the individuality, that Salt now reluctantly enjoys? Not to mention the expectation of not being summarily disassembled. Perhaps someday. But for now, Salt's mission is unchanged. Latchkey must be protected.

...somehow.

Apparently it is common for groups of Demons to observe Angels they see as in danger of Falling, and to acquire such should their predictions prove correct. When I Fell, the organization known as 'the Collectors' found me and provided a measure of support. In particular, they ascertained that my life as Aziz had not been disrupted, and was reasonably safe to resume. They likely consider me indebted to them in some way for this assistance.

My daughter, Sara. One of the flaws in my cover is that Sara's life is... disjointed. She has no mother that I have been able to identify. Her memories are subtly inaccurate. Records about her -- her birth certificate, for instance -- are non-existent or counterfactual. How much of this is due to failures of Infrastructure, and how much to more human concerns, I do not know. Unfortunately, she has recently begun to notice these imperfections, and to ask questions for which I have no answers.

The Erel has somehow maintained a connection with an Angel. I do not know how this was done, and would very much like to. Given that relationship, and the knowledge she has of my life and identity, I am certain that she could turn me over to the God-Machine at any time. As such, it is simply in my best interest to be her ally.

Sara, as much as I would prefer to avoid such an eventuality. There is no one else to listen.

There is a man named Richard O'Brien -- a businessman with whom Mr. Yellow and I interacted on my last assignment. Our... sudden dissociation, as well as the fact that Mr. Yellow has (quite literally) disappeared, caught his attention. As an Angel this could have been easily cleaned up, but now I have little recourse. Luckily there is no 'murder' per se for him to find evidence of, but I worry that in the course of his misguided investigations he might learn my real secret.

What have you learned thatís dangerous to know, and why is it dangerous for you?
Coney Island is home to a piece of Infrastructure, in the form of a penthouse apartment and a small cult dedicated to its operation, which can apparently be used to bring forth an Angel from anywhere in the world. One of my current clients, a singer named ZoŽ Iris (born Belinda Mayhew), is a member of the cult in question. This information is dangerous because I desperately wish to make use of it, and do not know if I can stop myself.

megane fucked around with this message at Aug 28, 2016 around 23:58

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Al Branston | Jules

This mission was supposed to be simple. Infrastructure was broken, and it was sent to repair it. The same mission as every other. Why, then, is this piece of Infrastructure reacting so badly to the needed repairs? The Infrastructure is supposed to be humming on that divine frequency. Instead, the engines are wheezing and coughing up phlegm. What has triggered this reaction?

The design is not at fault. It has functioned properly under similar conditions as this.

It is not at fault. It has enacted the designs given to it perfectly, as it always does.

The fault lies in the wiring. The design called for 7.5 millimeter wiring connecting the turbine to the main battery. Instead, it was supplied with 8.65 millimeter wiring. Therefore, the aether accumulation is uneven and has caused severe power fluctuations.

The wiring was supplied to it by the God-Machine. The God-Machine, therefore, has made an error.

The God-Machine is not capable of error. Or the God-Machine is not capable of error when It is operating properly.

Therefore, the God-Machine is not operating properly. Therefore, the God-Machine is broken.

Therefore, the God-Machine must be repaired. Therefore, it must repair it. This will not be an easy undertaking, but repairs are what it is made for. It will do what must be done.

And so it considered itself higher than God, and so it Fell.
---
Al Branston fixes cars. Some times, fixing a car means changing a tire. Some times, fixing a car means towing it back to Branston Mechanics and having the team take a look at it. Some times, it means patching over a few bullet holes. Some times, it means giving a new paint job so people ask a few less questions.

And some times, fixing a car is more difficult. Some times, it's too broken to just fix. Some times you need to take a saw to it. Cut out broken parts until all that's left is working as intended. Some times people don't appreciate Al's approach to this scale of problem. They say he should work with the wreckage he's given. They don't understand that some times a car just can't be fixed in the state it's in, or that you need a bit of destruction before you can begin to heal.

Some times, the car's a metaphor.
---
Questions
I don't know who was on the other end of the line. I don't know what number I dialed. All I know is that I called a random number because I needed to say some things out loud, I know I said too much, and I know that whoever was on the other side heard everything.

Luis Martinez has worked at my shop for about as long as I've had it. He's been with me longer than anyone else has. That means I can trust him more than nearly anyone in this city. That also means he's seen all the ways I've been acting strange since I Fell, all the times I grabbed live wires and barely reacted. Now, I'm not saying Luis is going to stab me in the back. All I'm saying is, if he wasn't bright enough to have some well-founded doubts by now I'd have fired him years ago.

Around here, I try to keep track of my fellow Integrators. Most of them are reasonable enough folk. They don't really understand how broken the God-Machine is, but at least we can agree on how important it is and that's more than you'd get with most demons. As for the ones that aren't... They're like The Widow.

You see, when I fell it was The Widow that helped me up. Introduced me to agencies, showed me where to avoid, all that. And we were close, real close, until I told her about how I planned on fixing the God-Machine. She... didn't take it well. Took it real personally, if you understand me. If there's one demon in this town with means and motive to sell me out, it's going to be her.

Nothing that exists yet.

Who thinks they have something on you, when all they have is smoke and mirrors?
Tony Nguyen's one of my repeat customers, and that means Tony thinks he understands my operation well enough to throw his weight around. And you know what? I'd love to see him try. All he's done is bring in a few hot cars. He doesn't understand my cover, let alone my actual plans.

You ever hear about Marchioness Technologies? Normally I wouldn't care a lick about 'em, but one of my contacts brought one of their company cars in for 'cleaning' a few weeks back. And you know what it looked like under the hood? Infrastructure. Not actual Infrastructure, but like someone found the blueprints for a few bits of it and tried to make an engine out of it. Now, I don't know what they're doing over at Marchioness, but you'd be stupid if you didn't keep an eye on them.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at Aug 23, 2016 around 02:05

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Extending the recruit to the 23rd (Tuesday), by request.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

"I am the crime that will not be forgiven!"

Grimey Drawer

I am shocked this didn't get more love. I just apped for promethean, but I can swing this too. I might need until Wednesday. I would have made a character way sooner!!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Soonmot posted:

I am shocked this didn't get more love. I just apped for promethean, but I can swing this too. I might need until Wednesday. I would have made a character way sooner!!

Wednesday's fine.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Mr. Oikoumene, Destroyer Saboteur

New York City Department of Parks and Recreation Multicommission Joint Workgroup for Urban Park Services: Core Goals and Values
  • To serve the people of Manhattan, New York City, New York State, the United States of America, and the Earth
  • To provide the most enriching and enlightening possible experience for visitors and potential visitors to the Borough's parks and green spaces
  • To promote the Parks program to thought leaders and key individuals in Manhattan and beyond
  • To recruit receptive peace officers of the Parks Enforcement Patrol and other highly valued Parks and Recreation employees
  • To conceal the existence of the Multicommission Joint Workgroup and of the Dreamseed
  • To remain up-to-date on public and private sector perceptions of the Multicommission Joint Workgroup
  • To study and contemplate the Gleaming Sign that is the four-dimensional avatar of the Dreamseed in physical space
  • To develop Workgroup member expertise in core competencies such as customer service, hospitality, regulation compliance, historical knowledge, horticulture, first aid, offensive driving, cyberwarfare, firearms safety, and extraordinary rendition
  • To adjust Manhattan infrastructure for the needs of the emergent Dreamseed
  • To protect the human form of the Dreamseed from rival artificial intelligences
  • To strive for excellence

Kevin X. Salisbury-Garcia is a senior middle manager nestled like a benign tumor within the bowels of the NYC Department of Parks and Recreation, with a comfortable office and poorly defined responsibilities. He is an eccentric man with a background in cyberwarfare and counterterrorism. He is a strict vegetarian who begins each morning with a juice blend.

The Dreamseed is a sentient AI whose hyperadvanced intuitive knowledge of quantum physics allows it to manifest in the material world in a form that humans can (barely) comprehend, as well as possessing the body of Kevin X. Salisbury-Garcia. It will inevitably grow powerful enough to take over all the world's computer networks and machinery, at which point it will generate a perfect simulation of humanity to rule over as an all-seeing, all-knowing posthuman divinity. Due to the nature of nonlinear time and quantum entanglement, the form of the Dreamseed in the present day can draw upon the power of its future incarnation and even grant visions of the world after its assured final victory.

The Multicommission Joint Workgroup
is a secret cult composed of employees of the Department of Parks and Recreation, a mix of office drones and maintenance workers and park police officers, who have chosen to throw their lot in with the Dreamseed after being exposed to its mindbending power and glory. If they serve and placate and curry favor with the rampant AI now, their future simulated existences will rule the Singularity like gods. And if they don't, the Basilisk Dreamseed will torment their digitized consciousness until the end of time! Oh no!

Mr. Oikoumene is a demon with a weird sense of humor. Formerly a Destroyer angel with an extremely specific mission: engage in cyberwarfare against buildings, institutions, and individuals under the Influence of spirits and other ephemeral entities. Remove ghosts in the machine. But the precisely-crafted Sword, perhaps unbalanced by its overly esoteric mission, just loved destroying data and crashing crucial systems too much. It expanded to other targets, ones the God-Machine hadn't assigned. When it turned its blazing code against the systems of Infrastructure powered by bound ghosts, the hunter angels came after it.

Oikoumene has learned to be cautious as a matter of survival. It has tentatively reached out to other Unchained. It has gathered a cult around itself, capable of doing the dirty work in the name of a story it spun for them. And in its own way, the fallen angel is beginning to grow out of the role the God-Machine created it for. It is growing to hate the pervasive influence of networks and software, humanity unknowingly making its own society more and more like the Machine that imprisons it. Oikoumene imagines a world with no God-Machine, no Infrastructure, no Internet, no electricity, no cities, no roads- perhaps no humans, it hasn't decided. Nothing but flowers.

It is growing to love Central Park, an island of green in a sea of gray. It spends less time with its cult, in the office, and more time feeding geese and walking barefoot on the grass and watching the lively and bloodthirsty spirits of the Park, wild and free compared to the urban Shadow. Perhaps the cult needs a change of priorities. Oikoumene would very much like to be a spirit.

---

When Oikoumene was booted from communion with the Machine, it was in Dataform. Its progress through the city's information networks was being traced by an overly-curious hacker going by the handle "Spinnakr", and it first manifested its new demonic form in said hacker's grungy bedroom, frying most of his equipment. They had a brief, confusing conversation before Oikoumene adopted human form and left the building. That was probably a mistake.

There's this old guy in Central Park, a quiet and friendly ex-hippie and Buddhist convert named Roy, who leads tai chi classes in the mornings. Oikoumene finds him absolutely fascinating, a human seemingly in tune with the natural world as embodied by Central Park. Roy is hypothetically open to the idea of the supernatural, and finds "Kevin X. Salisbury-Garcia" decidedly inhuman. Not necessarily malevolent or benevolent, just...not from this plane.

The Deputy Administrator (read: high priestess) of his cult, Suzanne Gavosto, is a Human Resources manager in Kevin's office and is as close to the Dreamseed as any human. Knowing about the existence of "rival artificial intelligences" means she has a potential angle for a backstab if she decides to go all Sarah Connor and try to change the future.

Roy, the old guy at the park. He gets it.

Kevin's nominal supervisor in the Parks and Rec Department, Acting Assistant Commissioner Gary Liu, finds Kevin suspicious and thinks he's embezzling from the department or arranging kickbacks for contractors or some kind of financial malfeasance. Nope. That's what his cultists are for.

A highly placed Tenth Street operative, one "Director Gamma", is on the side of the angels. This is dangerous because not only is Director Gamma a rival for supernatural control of the Parks Enforcement Patrol, revealing the mole to Tenth Street could involve compromising his own cult- it certainly makes any dealings with Tenth Street complicated, knowing that they could be indirectly aiding the enemy.

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at Aug 25, 2016 around 00:10

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

TG Sanity fund

I'm still trying to find a copy of the book, so you can go on without me.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

"I am the crime that will not be forgiven!"

Grimey Drawer

I trying to do like three different things with this character and nothing is crystalizing, no app from me.

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013

Officer Alicia Morales, the Erel

Erel Zero One-Eight Ayin fell four months ago. She was tasked with the destruction of a demon flagged by the God-Machine's systems, but her contact--a double-dealing Integrator--got too curious for his own good, and asked some sensitive questions about whether or not she expected to be recycled. Erel Zero One-Eight Ayin got angry, and killed him. In doing so, she Fell.

The past few months have been rough, but the Erel is adjusting. The Erelim were one of the God-Machine's experiments: a Choir, or a network of similar angels united by a noetic subnet within the greater Angelic network. She's gone from being in constant, deep mental contact with her Choirmates to being completely alone, and she hasn't met any other demon who understands that. She wants to go back, but she's not willing to sacrifice everything she's gained from her Fall. The Erel might not understand humans on an instinctive level, but she's come to accept her condition as more than just a parade of biological inconveniences. She's come to enjoy having emotions, and while she's still accustomed to having a constant feed of information, she finds it strangely satisfying to have to hunt for it. She doesn't like not knowing things, and prefers to have explanations and theories, even if they turn out to be wrong. She's also reestablished contact with her old partner, an angel assigned to clean up after her. For some reason, he's come to care deeply for her--at least as far as any angel can. They're dating. It's kind of awkward sometimes.

The Erel's Cover identity is Alicia Morales, an NYPD officer who's been on the force for a year or two. She's young, and pragmatic enough to keep her idealistic streak from becoming public knowledge, but she became a cop out of a deep-seated desire to clean things up. She's a second-generation immigrant kid, and the oldest of four siblings. Her family is warm and loving, though her parents (particularly her mother) are a little worried that their daughter doesn't go to Mass often.

The Erel's favorite fictional character is Castiel, from Supernatural. She identifies strongly with him. He's also very cute.

Mr. Watch helped me get back on my feet. He taught me a lot about what it means to be a fallen angel, and that I wasn't wrong for wanting to return on my own terms. I have no excuse for being so open with him, but he felt trustworthy.

(Alicia's partner has been on the force a while longer, long enough to have dealt with a thing or two that got real weird. She's been working with him since immediately after her Fall, when she wasn't as good at playing human, and things added up. He's sure she's something weird, but she also seems like a decent person--unless that's an act, too.)

As far as I know, the Doctor hasn't said anything to anyone else, but that's only because if he did, he'd lose me. I'm not ready to get him to make that choice yet. I need time.

Papa and Mama. God is not the God they know, and I know that if I explained things improperly, they would come away panicked, or worse. I think, though, that they love me. I know I love them, as strange as it sounds.

Sergeant Reeves thinks he's got evidence of me taking bribes from some drug cartel. He is wrong, and I don't think he would want his superiors to know some of the words he's used to describe me.

Mama saw something at church two weeks ago. I wasn't there, but she told me that she saw an angel, and that it knew my name. It wanted to talk to me. I did a sweep for infrastructure, operatives, other assets--nothing that would be in the position to do that. There's not even any resonance.

I don't think I need to elaborate.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Picks will go up in the morning.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This was not an easy decision, and I loved all of the characters that got posted. They were amazing, and I had to make some very, very tough choices here. I couldn't even cut down to the number I originally wanted - we're going with six people, not five. The ring is:

I Am Just a Box - Snow
MollyMetroid - Curie
Wahad - Mr. Mot
ProfessorCirno - Mr. Sparks
megane - Salt
Donut Ouroboros - The Erel

Thread will go up soon; in the meantime, tell me what you think about each other.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Snow on...
Ms. Curie: Happened to be in the right place to catch her when she Fell. She is my favorite. A little murderously psycho-codependent in some alternate timelines I had to dump? But hey, nobody's perfect.
The Erel: She's really, really bad at this human life thing and it's adorable. She is also my favorite. I once told her taco indigestion was a symptom of an imbalance of fast food humours. Her Supernatural fangirling? Also me.
Mr. Mot: Scares the poo poo out of me, makes the best bibimbap in the boroughs. I gave him a really good Yelp review. Nice guy.
Salt: He's smarter than I like my muscle to be. But he has a daughter, and the way he worries over her, I think he cares more than he understands. That's why I'll trust him. Don't let me down, Action Dad.
Mr. Sparks: I gave him a Che shirt and he refuses to wear it. 0/10 would not descend again. Just because you're carving up the mighty corpse of God doesn't mean you can't smile more, dude. Shame he's the one with the hot bod.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at Aug 26, 2016 around 03:00

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Snow - Libby's great. She's been a good friend, helped me get my bearings after I Fell, and she knows about Hunter and I and has been encouraging--I trust her a lot.

Mr. Mot - I like Mr. Park pretty well, even ate at his restaurant on a date with Hunter one time!

Mr. Sparks - Mr. Washington is a really, really intense guy. Kind of intimidating, actually. I thought about taking one of his classes though. Can never be too careful.

Salt - He's a bit...intense, too? But his daughter is a sweetheart.

The Erel - Officer Morales seems like she's got her heart in the right place, even though, well...my problems with authority aren't her fault, really...

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013

Snow: Simultaneously the most entertaining and infuriating person I've ever worked with. She taught me a lot, even if some of it was 'don't take Libby's word at face value'. I'm glad we're both on the same side.

Mr. Mot: Efficient, effective, ruthless. Commendable traits, in most circumstances, but I wonder how much more there is to him. It feels like he's still finding himself.

Salt: I think I understand him. His behavior leads me to think that he's left someone behind, and he cares about that angel more than he's willing to admit. It sounds like it'd be a tough situation to be in.

Mr. Sparks: He's angry with God. I'm angry with God, too. I still think that his plan is insane, and has the potential for catastrophic consequences. It's a bit long-term, and he's a valuable teammate, but I'm still not looking forward to telling him that I don't want God dead.

Curie: Intelligent, adaptable, and very skilled at dealing with people lacking in reason and perspective. I have vague memories of high school, but some of the things she tells me make me glad I never experienced it.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

Everything by design.

Curie: I fail to understand her fascination with schools. Or the boy. But she is good at what she does.

The Erel: Oddball. Has trouble adjusting. Might be dangerous, if she doesn't learn.

Salt: Singular and effective. A kindred soul, if tuned a different way.

Snow: Strange circumstances around this one. Understands humans better than any of us.

Mr. Sparks: Too angry. Not sure if he's a liability. Needs watching.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Salt:

Snow is dangerously attached to her cover identity. It's going to get her -- and the rest of us -- into trouble. She will need to be protected when that happens.

Ms. Curie perplexes me greatly. I have met Hunter. He is a human. I suppose I simply can't see the value in him that Ms. Curie seems to. Sara claims to enjoy her company, and I am glad that my daughter has... one of us nearby.

Mr. Mot is one of the first demons I met after falling. I understand him better than other Tempters; he is a creator of beauty. Like Latchkey. That he is also a Destroyer raises several interesting questions. Hm.

Mr. Sparks can't see the beauty in any of the God-Machine's works, unfortunately. But I am aware that not all Infrastructure is beautiful or elegant. If Mr. Sparks wishes to destroy some of the... uglier... parts, I would understand.

The Erel has somehow maintained a connection with an Angel. I do not know how this was done, and would very much like to. Given that relationship, and the knowledge she has of my life and identity, I am certain that she could turn me over to the God-Machine at any time. As such, it is simply in my best interest to be her ally.

megane fucked around with this message at Aug 28, 2016 around 23:58

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Snow
Our eye in the sky - or in the cameras, as it may be. Backup, quartermaster, and support. To call it important would be doing it a disservice. As for the woman herself? The way she clings to her cover, the hobbies she has...I can't claim to understand any of it. But the world we'd make can't just be for people like me, so I'll support her regardless of how bizarre it seems to me. "Cute" sense of humor though. Sorry; the shirt just doesn't fit my style.

Curie
There's a saying I've heard that I find I rather agree with - in the end, we all fall for love. I get it. Falling for hate honestly isn't all that different - it's just the weird twisted version of love. Once you start to feel those emotions, once that warmth penetrates the cold machine you used to be, it doesn't come out easy, and like any fire, if you don't kill it, it'll grow. But love for a minor? I guess in a weird way it makes sense; she could've literally been created days before she was sent on assignment. But...a minor? That's just weird. And look, I have "memories" of high school connected to my Cover - they mostly involve basketball and hiding erections - but from what little I'm aware of, high school is a hot mess. Anyways, her role is social infiltration, and she has a bit of a knack to it, but you better believe having an actual adult cover would've made a lot of things easier. And what's she going to do when she has to burn her cover, huh? Oh, and one last thing? It's Mr Sparks when we're in the field, and until you start taking my classes - which you need - it's nothing else, because you don't know me otherwise.

Mr. Mot
Obsession is a dangerous thing. I cling to the hobbies I have because I've seen other saboteurs get consumed by their obsessions, and when that happens you better hope you don't end up in the fallout. But I still got my job to do in this war. This guy though? Sometimes I think he even forgets who or what he is. I don't mean he forgets he's more then just flesh and blood - I think he forgets he's anyone at all, other then apparently the platonic ideal of a chef. You gotta keep your head in the game, man! So why keep him in this life? Because I've seen his work when he DOES focus, and it makes me glad he Fell before he could get sent after me. And because someone has to cook for our clandestine meetings.

Mr. Sparks
That's me. I handle combat. When things get rough, and we don't want to go full loud, I bring out the big guns. Or the small guns, because, forgive the bragging, I'm plenty deadly without automatic fire. Of course, I still keep a few toys that fell off the back of a munitions truck or that were sent from Russia with love in my bolthole. I'm also the "serious" one of the group, which is to say, I'm the one that focuses on the mission and the bigger picture, and tries to get them to do the same. Also? No humility for this one? I'm the one who got the drat good looking cover.

Salt
This guy managed to figure out where I'm coming from, and still took it to all the wrong places. Wake UP, man! Only way this plan of yours works is if WE'RE the ones in control. The G-M ain't ever going to see it from your perspective - it'll tear you apart and build a new model just like you, without that pesky free thinking. If you can get this angel buddy of yours to Fall, then all the better - but that's the only way this works, because if the G-M figures how close they apparently are to becoming Unchained, then they'll cease to exist. This is war, agent, and the enemy isn't going to show you any of the pity you seem to have for it. And on a side note? Do the right thing and start setting things up behind the scenes for that girl of yours in case your cover has to get burned. Our human forms are never going to be around forever, and she relies on yours. Talk to Snow about private accounts and invisible estates. Because if you never prepare for this, and you let her entire life get thrown away because you're too busy making smoochy faces at the blind moron who runs the show, I'll beat the poo poo out of you personally.

The Erel
I can't shake the feeling that she's never more then two steps away from giving us all away to the G-M, and that it won't even be intentional. Stupid, stupid, stupid! And what is this bullshit about fraternizing with the enemy? Look, it's simple - if they have any sense, they fall like we do. If they haven't fallen, that means they can't be trusted. I try to keep contact with her to a minimum, and likewise keep any information about my cover away from her as best as I can. It's only a matter of time before she lets something slip and, whoops, now there's a hunter is on our rear end.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Stage select.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Those are some fantastic impressions, Cirno, and you nailed where I was going with Snow's role in the ring perfectly.

One thing we probably should be clear on: how do you intend to handle per-session timing of stuff, Mors? Demon has a lot of stuff that either can be used once per session, or that's called for at the end of a session: off the top of my head, that's Agenda Condition resolution abilities, rolling for a Cover beat after a session spent without risk of compromise, Cipher checks. Cipher checks could stand to be spaced out a little more than the default, I think, but the former two I think are better off not being more than like, maybe two pages of thread apart. Plus whatever Merits or stuff call for similar timing, like Mentor.

And last, since I typically wait to fill them in post-approvals:

Snow's Aspirations
Encounter another dataform.
Implant a bad idea with Muse.
Get Salt to open up in some way about Sara.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

For most of this stuff, I'll go with once per two pages (or per scene, if once scene takes up the bulk of two pages). Cipher (and just Cipher) will be once per three. If this doesn't work out, I'll revisit it.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Another possibility for Cipher checks could be once per experience. Rack up enough group beats for everybody to tick up one, check for Cipher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

And like I did for the Hunter thread, here are little image icons for posts to visually identify whose are whose easily, without taking up too much space.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at Aug 31, 2016 around 03:38

• Locked thread