Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hh.

He's vengeance. He's the night. He's Batman. He's been around for more than 75 years and he's not going away anytime soon. Chances are pretty good you know who this guy is, but in case you need a refresher course, this is Batman's Shameful Secret Thread, and we're here to talk about Batman.

Your Major Players

BATMAN//Bruce Wayne
Young Bruce Wayne witnessed his parents shot to death in a mugging and dedicated his life and his vast fortune to eradicating crime. He spent his adolesence training, learning, and plotting, and as an adult uses his fighting prowess, unmatched detective skills, and technological gadgetry to scare the crap out of the superstitious and cowardly criminals of Gotham City. He's the guy whose name is on the front of the comic, so you probably know his deal pretty well. He's recently had his body and mind healed by exposure to a strange element known as 'dionysium', resulting in a faster, stronger, better adjusted Batman. With DC's Rebirth line, Batman is striding confidently into the future, better equipped than ever to take on the challenges of his truly hosed-up world.
PROS: Master of all known martial arts, incredibly rich, world's greatest detective, square jaw, firm handshake
CONS: Depressingly easy to write as wish-fulfillment for fascist right-wingers
APPEARING IN: Batman, Detective Comics, All-Star Batman, Justice League, Trinity

BATWOMAN//Kate Kane
Kate's parents were both lifelong members of the military, and after her mother Gabi and twin sister Elizabeth were killed in a terrorist attack, Kate vowed to follow in their footsteps and enlisted. Unfortunately she was booted from West Point under Don't Ask, Don't Tell. Directionless, Kate drifted around Gotham's party scene until a chance encounter with the Batman, Kate realized there was another way for her to fight back. She became Batwoman, with her father as her only ally and confidant. Recently, Bruce has reached out to Kate and sought her help training the next generation of crimefighters in Gotham City.
PROS: As good at Batman stuff as Batman, far more stylish while doing so
CONS: None, she is a perfect, flawless treasure
APPEARING IN: Detective Comics

Commissioner Jim Gordon
Most of the Gotham City police force appreciates what Batman does, but Commissioner Gordon is the only one Bruce would consider a friend. Jim is a tough, honest cop in a city where that's more likely to get you killed than promoted, but the loyalty he inspires and his dogged determination has kept him as the top cop in Gotham. After Bruce's temporary bout with amnesia, Jim briefly took over as a police-sanctioned Batman in a robot suit, an endeavor Jim referred to as "the stupidest idea in the history of Gotham City". With Bruce back in the cowl, Jim is back where he belongs, on the roof with the Bat-Signal, looking stern and authoritative.
PROS: Has a mustache again
CONS: Smoking is bad for you
APPEARING IN: Batman (so far)

Alfred Pennyworth
The faithful butler of Wayne Manor, Alfred is Bruce's oldest friend, mentor, and surrogate father. He's constantly helping Batman, whether he's testing new gear or covering for Bruce's sudden absence at a charity ball. A trained actor and former combat medic, his skills have saved Batman's life on countless occasions. Recently he lost a hand to the Joker, but it doesn't seem to have slowed him down at all.
PROS: Equally skilled with a feather duster, a teapot, and at the controls of the Batwing
CONS: Dry British wit difficult to defend against
APPEARING IN: Pretty much anything with Batman in it

NIGHTWING//Dick Grayson
Dick was a circus acrobat until his parents were killed by gangsters. He was taken in by Bruce, who saw his own tragedy reflected in the boy, and trained to focus his pain into crimefighting as the first Robin. Dick found time to romance both Barbara Gordon and Starfire of the Teen Titans while still being Batman's faithful partner. As he grew up, he took the identity of Nightwing and struck out on his own. He's just returned from faking his own death to go undercover and infiltrate the shadowy organization, Spyral, and back in the blue and black tights, he's...undercover, infiltrating the shadowy organization, the Parliament of Owls.
PROS: Dat rear end
CONS: Can't stop being dead or undercover for five Goddamn minutes
APPEARING IN: Nightwing, Titans

BATGIRL//Barbara Gordon
When Jim Gordon's teenage daughter Barbara came to live in Gotham, she wanted to be a cop, like dear old Dad. Jim wouldn't hear of it, and regulations said Barbara was too short to sign up anyway. So she found her own way to clean up the city, and as Batgirl, she was one of Batman's first partners. Sadly, she was shot by the Joker and paralyzed, and her recovery was long and grueling. Technological advances have gotten her back on her feet again, and she's hit the streets as Batgirl once more.
PROS: Photographic memory, extremely good costume
CONS: Baggage from Killing Joke threatens to overwhelm any positive progress
APPEARING IN: Batgirl, Batgirl and the Birds of Prey

ROBIN//Damian Wayne
As the name suggests, Damian is the son of Bruce and Talia al Ghul, the daughter of Ra's, one of Batman's oldest enemies. Accelerated to adolesence and raised by assassins, Damian's greatest challenge has been to leave behind the murderous ways of his upbringing and carry on the heroic legacy of his father. A troubled child, deep down he loves his pets and just wants to make his father proud. He rarely gets along with the older members of the Bat-family, but is gradually growing out of his role as the bratty little brother.
PROS: Improbably skilled at literally everything, considering he's like 13
CONS: Little poo poo
APPEARING IN: Super-Sons, Teen Titans

RED ROBIN//Tim Drake
After witnessing the dynamic duo in action, a young Tim Drake deduced Batman and Robin's true identities. Years later, when the second Robin was killed, Tim realized Bruce would destroy himself with guilt and set out to save the Dark Knight. Tim became the third Robin, with detective skills on par with Batman himself. After Bruce's son Damian became Robin, Tim became Red Robin and remains one of Batman's most talented and trustworthy partners.
PROS: Genius hacker, programmer, & inventor
CONS: Stupid codename

???//Duke Thomas
Duke's life has been intertwined with Batman's mission since he was a child, when his parents took in a badly wounded Bruce Wayne during the Riddler's Zero Year occupation of Gotham City. As a teenager, he became the de facto leader of a band of amateur vigilantes calling themselves Robin, until his parents were driven mad by Joker toxin. Faced with the possibility that his parents may never recover, Duke was taken in by Bruce Wayne for training.
PROS: Resilient and determined with a strong sense of justice
CONS: Probably going to get called Lark forever
APPEARING IN: Batman, All-Star Batman

SPOILER//Stephanie Brown
When mostly-forgotten rogue the Cluemaster launched his intricate scheme for revenge against the Dark Knight, nobody saw it coming. Nobody except for Cluemaster's teenage daughter, Stephanie, who managed to escape her father's attempts on her life and bring his house of cards crashing down. Calling herself Spoiler, Stephanie has integrated herself into the Bat-family through sheer determination and a dogged refusal to give up, ever.
PROS: Upbeat personality a necessary contrast to the rest of these gloomy orphans
CONS: Severely tempted by waffles

ORPHAN//Cassandra Cain
Cassandra is the daughter of David Cain, master assassin. She was the result of a project to create the ultimate fighter from birth, by denying her developing mind access to language. Her ability to communicate has been replaced with the ability to read body language instead, making her perhaps the most dangerous hand-to-hand fighter in the world, while rendering her nearly mute and illiterate. She rejected the violent life of an assassin and has found a new family with her fellow misfits and weirdos in Gotham City.
PROS: The best at hitting people
CONS: Not great at things besides hitting people

CLAYFACE//Basil Karlo
Clayface was one of Batman's oldest foes, until a bizarre cult used his earthen body to revive the ancient witch, Morgaine Le Fey. Left injured and amnesiac, Clayface was rescued by Ragman, and together they helped Batwoman take down Le Fey. Now aware of his criminal past, he wanted nothing more than to leave it behind. He was approached by Batman, who offers Karlo his help in controlling his clay body. Clayface has somewhat awkwardly joined with Batman's allies, who accept him despite his past.
PROS: Voiced by Ron Perlman
CONS: Some loving writer will probably make him evil again pretty soon

RED HOOD//Jason Todd
Jason was an angry, tough street kid who bit off more than he could chew when he tried to steal the tires off the Batmobile. Batman took pity on him, and took him in as the second Robin. Batman tried to direct the rage within Jason, but ultimately failed, as Jason's anger and violence took control of the boy. He was eventually killed by the Joker, and now serves as a grim reminder of the cost of Batman's war on crime.
PROS: He's dead
CONS: They're still making comics about him for some reason
APPEARING IN: Red Hood & the Outlaws

WHERE ARE THEY NOW?
BLUEBIRD//Harper Row
A feisty teenage genius, Harper walked away from crimefighting after the revelations of Batman & Robin: Eternal.
CATWOMAN//Selina Kyle
Bruce's longtime/sometimes love interest, Catwoman took over Gotham's crime families before returning to prowling rooftops in leather. She doesn't seem to be appearing in any of the Rebirth books though.
BATWING//Luke Fox
The son of Lucius Fox, Luke was last seen getting smoochy with Barbara in the pages of Batgirl, but has yet to pop up in Rebirth.

WHAT ABOUT THE COMICS?
Batman is DC's biggest property and there's a ton of comics featuring ol Bruce and his band of merry orphans every month. DC's Rebirth has been mostly great for Batman and friends, with the return of a lot of fan-favorite characters in starring roles and some great creative talent.

BATMAN by Tom King and David Finch
Featuring Batman, Alfred, Jim Gordon, and new protoge Duke Thomas, Batman finds a reinvigorated Bruce Wayne dealing with the emergence of two new superpowered defenders in Gotham City. These new guys have their hearts in the right place, but so far it turns out Gotham City isn't terribly receptive to their kind of help.

DETECTIVE COMICS by James Tynion IV and Eddy Barrows
Batman and Batwoman team up to whip the next generation of crimefighters into shape before the mysterious force watching them all can make their move. Featuring Red Robin, Spoiler, Orphan and Clayface, this new team will have to start working together in a hurry, because whoever's out there isn't messing around.

ALL-STAR BATMAN by Scott Snyder and John Romita Jr.
Two-Face has blackmail material on the entire state of Gotham, collected over a criminal career, and whoever manages to kill Batman and set Two-Face free gets rich. If nobody does, he'll spill his secrets on everybody. The most wanted man in America, Batman's on his own with only Two-Face to keep him company.

NIGHTWING by Tim Seely and Javier Fernandez
Fresh from his stint as a super-spy, Nightwing is going after the nefarious Parliament of Owls. They're starting to get suspicious that Dick keeps refusing to kill people for them, and so he's been stuck with a new partner, the enigmatic and unbalanced Raptor. Dick's got to do the right thing, but what is Raptor's angle in all this?

BATGIRL by Hope Larson and Rafael Albequerque
Leaving Gotham and her new tech start-up in capable hands, Batgirl embarks on a road trip to seek out martial arts masters past and present in Asia. Of course trouble seems to follow her wherever she goes, and this won't be any different.

BATGIRL AND THE BIRDS OF PREY by Julie & Shawna Benson and Claire Roe
While she was paralyzed, Barbara made a name for herself as Oracle, the technological wizard at the heart of Batman's operation. Now, someone has taken the name Oracle and is using it to set Gotham's underworld up with vital intelligence. Batgirl teams up with her old friend Black Canary and the volatile former superspy known as Huntress to get to the bottom of this.

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS by Scott Lobdell and some loving artist, who cares
Jason Todd is dead. His spirit has found rest in the afterlife, where he plays out a fantasy world of heroics, where he is the best and all the superheroes want to be his friend. Pretty sad, but I guess someone must be buying it or they wouldn't be printing it still.

YET TO COME:
Damian teams up with Jonathan Kent, the new Superboy, for SUPER-SONS
The original Batman of the future, Terry McGinnis, returns in BATMAN BEYOND
Olive and Maps go back to school for GOTHAM ACADEMY: SECOND SEMESTER
Harley Quinn does Harley Quinn poo poo in HARLEY QUINN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

RECOMMENDED READING
ZERO YEAR by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo
Batman's modern origin story. A sprawling, neon-colored epic from two creators at the absolute top of their game.

GRAYSON by Tim Seely, Tom King and Mikel Janin
Dick Grayson's time undercover as super-spy Agent 37. Witty and gripping in equal measure.

BATMAN AND ROBIN by Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason
Bruce and Damian struggle with their father-son relationship. Deeply heartfelt and consistently engaging.

ROBIN, SON OF BATMAN by Patrick Gleason
Damian travels the world to make amends for his violent past. A hyperactive joy ride with a surprising amount of heart.

BATMAN: ETERNAL and BATMAN & ROBIN: ETERNAL by Scott Snyder, James Tynion IV, and a huge amount of artists
Two weekly series that reintroduced fan-favorite characters Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain.

BATWOMAN: ELEGY by Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams III
A fantastic introduction to Batwoman and a great story all around.

THE CLASSICS

BATMAN: YEAR ONE by Frank Miller and David Mazzuchelli
The unforgettable origin story from 1986.

BATMAN: THE LONG HALLOWEEN by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale
A year-long murder mystery deep in the heart of Gotham's crime families.

BATGIRL by Scott Peterson, Kelly Puckett, and Damion Scott
Cassandra Cain's tenure as Batgirl.

BATMAN & SON, BATMAN: RIP, BATMAN & ROBIN, BATMAN: INCORPORATED, etc. by Grant Morrison and various artists
Grant Morrison's enormous, ambitious Batman story practically forms its own universe.

Equilibrium posted:

Morrison Bats reading order:

Batman and Son (new edition)
Batman RIP (ignore the two 'Last Rites' issues in the back, they're part of Final Crisis and included in its trade)
Final Crisis* (optional, read it anyways, new edition)
Batman and Robin vol 1 Batman Reborn
Batman and Robin vol 2 Batman vs. Robin
Time and the Batman
The Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman and Robin vol 3 Batman & Robin Must Die!
Batman Incorporated (deluxe)
Batman Incorporated vol 1 Demon Star
Batman Incorporated vol 2 Gotham's Most Wanted

*Recommended background reading: JLA: Rock of Ages, JLA: Earth-2, JLA: Ultramarine Corps, Seven Soldiers

ROBIN: YEAR ONE by Chuck Dixon, Scott Beatty, and Javier Pulido
A great, retro-tinged story of Dick Grayson's first steps as the Boy Wonder.

BATGIRL: YEAR ONE by Chuck Dixon, Scott Beatty, and Marcos Martin
Like Robin: Year One but for Batgirl. These two stories work so well together they're being sold as a single trade paperback these days!

BATMAN: NO MAN'S LAND
A massive crossover event that sees Gotham cut off from the rest of the world, taken over by gangs and desperate madmen.

There's so many more great Batman stories though, I could not possiblty list everything here. That's what this thread is for, though. What's your favorite Batman story?

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Aug 15, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ah, poor Harper Row. I didn't even like her and that's still a kind of deflating abrupt end to her character. She'll probably show up as a corpse sooner or later.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
My absolute favorite is Year One. "Yes, Father. I shall become a bat." Gives me goosebumps every time. Best part for me though is the part where he crashes the dinner party. I swear I read this story once a month and enjoy it each time.

While it gets poo poo on a lot, I do enjoy The Killing Joke, especially the ending with the dumb joke.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

SeannieDarko posted:

Best part for me though is the part where he crashes the dinner party. I swear I read this story once a month and enjoy it each time.
Never read Kevin Smith's Batman: The Widening Gyre.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Killing Joke has the perfect ending, and does have some good ideas, but it's flawed enough I feel confident in saying it's heavily overrated.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Dario the Wop posted:

Never read Kevin Smith's Batman: The Widening Gyre.

I don't plan on it. I'm not a huge fan of Kevin Smith aside from his arc on Green Arrow.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Zero Year is better than Year One.
TDKR is overrated and doesn't really hold up.
Damian is the best Robin.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm not a fan of The Killing Joke. The art is very nice and I do enjoy the flashback bits though.

I also don't like pretty much anything Frank Miller has done, with the exception of Year One. I'm definitely a statistically insignificant part of the fanbase though as most people consider Moore and Miller defining influences on Batman. It's true they've been very influential as way too many writers are trying to follow in their footsteps since the 80s but I would argue overall they've been a negative influence as this has lead to people mostly writing Batman as a violent rear end in a top hat and the Joker as an unstoppable, one-note killing machine constantly trying to come up with something more shocking than his last atrocity.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Realtalk you shouldn't recommend Batman Eternal, it's SUPER DUPER BAD! It's not good! It's at least twice as long as it should've been and has a really awful ending that misunderstands the entire thematic build of the comic.

Although you sorta mentioned it, the best part of Morrison's run and stories you should absolutely read if you wanna read Morrison Batman at all is Batman and Son/Black Glove/Batman R.I.P.

I'm not the only person who thinks that the entire Jezebel Jet reveal is maybe the only crass part of that trilogy (which is otherwise incredible), right? For reference, what I'm talking about is how the book keeps on stressing that the poison that Joker/The Black Glove uses is a binary solution that takes two otherwise inert objects, red and black petals, and only when they're combined does it kill (in other words it's hidden in plain sight until the time is right), then you find out Jezebel Jet was secretly a member of the Black Glove because she's a black person with red hair.'

Still makes me roll my eyes and sigh whenever I think about how totally crass that reveal is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm a sucker for when a bad guy reforms, so Clayface on Team Batman is extremely my poo poo. Reforming is Clayface's entire gimmick, after all.

I loved Paul Dini's run on Detective with Riddler deciding to go straight and starting his own private investigation office to prove he's a better detective than Batman. It was amnesia, so we all knew he'd go right back villainy once he eventually got his memory back. I became extremely broke and fell out of comics for the tail end of that so I have no idea how it ended.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Batman Eternal isn't the best but it didn't have a panel where Bruce tells his son it's cool to murder people as long as your name is Jason Todd so I don't know where that puts it on the spectrum.

Both of them are IMO largely entertaining stories with some rare great bits and some truly colossal craters of garbage hidden throughout. B:E did a good job with Steph and B&R:E did a good job with Cass, so I recommend them both.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm almost certain that panel you're describing didn't happen in B and R Eternal.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

I'm almost certain that panel you're describing didn't happen in B and R Eternal.

Issue #22

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
In the writer's defense, I guess you have to come up with some rationale that Jason is allowed to run around with a big bat on his chest and shoot people with guns without Bruce showing up to kick his rear end every issue. But let's not turn this into a Jason thread. Down that path lies nothing but madness and giant anime titties.

I'm really enjoying Detective. I love Cass being the 'big guy' on the team that they send in to kick all the bad guys' asses. And the weird costume is growing on me a little, but I think I preferred the hooded version from B&R:E.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah, nobody can talk about Jason. Sorry I brought it up.

I really liked how Cass looked at the end of the issue with the hood off. I hope she keeps it that way for a little bit.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Edit: nvm

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

RED HOOD//Jason Todd
Jason was an angry, tough street kid who bit off more than he could chew when he tried to steal the tires off the Batmobile. Batman took pity on him, and took him in as the second Robin. Batman tried to direct the rage within Jason, but ultimately failed, as Jason's anger and violence took control of the boy. He was eventually killed by the Joker, and now serves as a grim reminder of the cost of Batman's war on crime.
PROS: He's dead
CONS: They're still making comics about him for some reason
APPEARING IN: Red Hood & the Outlaws

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS by Scott Lobdell and DEXTER SOY
Jason Todd is dead. His spirit has found rest in the afterlife, where he plays out a fantasy world of heroics, where he is the best and all the superheroes want to be his friend. Pretty sad, but I guess someone must be buying it or they wouldn't be printing it still.

Look man, is fine if you don't like Jason or RHATO but don't be a dick and throw poo poo at Soy's excellent work on the series.

Besides, RHATO isn't even considered a Batman book anyways :shrug:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Besides, RHATO isn't even considered a Batman book anyways :shrug:

He's wearing a bat on his chest, man.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Detective is wonderful. I hadn't read any until today, I bought the first two because I liked how several BSS posters described it, then bought the rest as soon as I was finished. I've always preferred Batman's family to the man himself, so this immediately became my favorite batbook.

Question: I haven't kept up with Batwoman since the New 52 relaunch, but was her father turning heel foreshadowed at all in her book?

Also, regarding Clayface, thankfully there's quite a few of them, so hopefully they keep Basil as he is and bring in Matt Hagen or whomever if they need a villainous claything.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

He's wearing a bat on his chest, man.

Tell that to DC. That is why RHATO isn't being edited by Doyle's group.

And chances are, Damian's TT and Supersons also will be under a different editorial office.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dario the Wop posted:

Question: I haven't kept up with Batwoman since the New 52 relaunch, but was her father turning heel foreshadowed at all in her book?

Not really. They had a pretty harsh falling out after it was revealed that he knew Elizabeth (Batwoman's twin sister) was still alive, but they eventually patched that up.

And I would suggest anybody whos a fan of Batwoman from Elegy or her appearance in Detective now, check out her solo series at least up to the conclusion of the Wonder Woman team-up. Back in the early days of New 52 it was what I looked forward to most every month.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Tell that to DC. That is why RHATO isn't being edited by Doyle's group.

And chances are, Damian's TT and Supersons also will be under a different editorial office.

Wonder Woman is under Doyle's group now, by your logic I should put Wonder Woman in the OP. I don't give a poo poo who's editing what book, Jason and Damian are Batman characters.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 13, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Who is Soy

Also that is the perfect description of Red Hood don't listen to him.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 13, 2016

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Another thing I liked about Detective were the new costumes, specifically Tim Drake's and Cassandra Cain's. Tim is back in Robin colors as he should be, and Cassandra's Orphan look is hot.

I'm also really looking forward to the Monster Men crossover (I'm a sucker for creature design).

If you've never read Matt Wagner's Batman and the Monster Men (and Batman and the Mad Monk), you're missing out. Just perfect "classic" Batman stories. Would've made great Dini/Timm-era TAS episodes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's a preview of Superman #5, which is here because it reveals that Batman took the time to make a Batcave on the moon.
http://www.comicosity.com/exclusive-preview-superman-5/

I only wish those were real bats he brought up there in little spacesuits.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 13, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dario the Wop posted:

Cassandra's Orphan look is hot.

Uh...:yikes:

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's a preview of Superman #5, which is here because it reveals that Batman took the time to make a Batcave on the moon.

As if there was any doubt. But when does he turn Pluto into a prison planet assisted by Robin, the Toy Wonder?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

Wonder Woman is under Doyle's group now, by your logic I should put Wonder Woman in the OP. I don't give a poo poo who's editing what book, Jason and Damian are Batman characters.

Wonder Woman is Rucka's sandbox now. And hey, I don't care anyway but seeing you're so against Red Hood I thought you would be happy for the conversation about the book to remain in the General DC thread but whatever :shrug:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Who is Soy

Also that is the perfect description of Red Hood don't listen to him.

Filipino artist that began his career at Marvel drawing some issues of Captain Marvel before moving to DC and doing the art for Mortal Kombat X, Batman Beyond, Batman Arkham Knight: Genesis and a couple of issues on Red Hood/Arsenal

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/764229947426824192

He's currently helming RHATO and is delivering an excepcionally gorgeous art.

Although truth be told, it woudln't be the same without Veronica Gandini's excellent colors

If any of you want to see more samples of his work. This is his Devianart account

http://nefar007.deviantart.com/

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Sorry, I'm an old man, I occasionally say "hot" when I mean "cool" (it was a thing a decade ago). I wasn't talking about sexuality.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Wonder Woman is Rucka's sandbox now. And hey, I don't care anyway but seeing you're so against Red Hood I thought you would be happy for the conversation about the book to remain in the General DC thread but whatever :shrug:

I would rather nobody talk about RHATO but Jason remains an important part of Batman's history, so he got a space in the OP. If it'll get you to stop posting about RHATO I can delete it.

e: Like for real dude there's got to be some Batman stories you like aside from fuckin Red Hood. Can you please just chill for a second and post about Batman

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 13, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Filipino artist that began his career at Marvel drawing some issues of Captain Marvel before moving to DC and doing the art for Mortal Kombat X, Batman Beyond, Batman Arkham Knight: Genesis and a couple of issues on Red Hood/Arsenal

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/764229947426824192

He's currently helming RHATO and is delivering an excepcionally gorgeous art.

You know, I thought the dart shooting mix up was dumb, but that is good art, and the writing's not terrible. Interested in seeing how this goes. I like how their playing with the original "Red Hood as a crime boss" concept.

Dario the Wop posted:

Sorry, I'm an old man, I occasionally say "hot" when I mean "cool" (it was a thing a decade ago). I wasn't talking about sexuality.

Ahhh. Alright!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Deciding on my favorite Batman story is actually a little tough. Year One probably has the best narrative objectively, but that's a Gordon story way more than it's a Batman story. I like The Dark Knight Returns a lot. It's odd for it not to be in the OP under classics even if you're not a fan. It's a story that has influenced Batman and the comic book industry since it came out and is still having a large impact on both today. For better or for worse.

For more recent stuff, I enjoyed the hell out of Zero Year. I also quite liked New 52 Nightwing.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

I only wish those were real bats he brought up there in little spacesuits.

I hope Bat-Cow lives on the Mooooooon.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

e: Like for real dude there's got to be some Batman stories you like aside from fuckin Red Hood. Can you please just chill for a second and post about Batman

The Killing Joke, Knightfall, KnightQuest, Knight's End, that story where they raise the possibility of Bane being Bruce's half brother, Batman Year One, Batman: Anarchy, Batman: Earth One. A shitton of Elseworlds.

Out of recent stuff, the only thing I've really enjoyed is Pak's Batman Superman. And that only when it was Bruce, not the Gordon's nonsense.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I really like The Long Halloween.

The art's not that great, but I really dig the story of the Gotham mob falling apart while crazy supervillains take over, and Harvey's descent into villainy. I just like stories of really good people going bad in general.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

Deciding on my favorite Batman story is actually a little tough. Year One probably has the best narrative objectively, but that's a Gordon story way more than it's a Batman story. I like The Dark Knight Returns a lot. It's odd for it not to be in the OP under classics even if you're not a fan. It's a story that has influenced Batman and the comic book industry since it came out and is still having a large impact on both today. For better or for worse.

For more recent stuff, I enjoyed the hell out of Zero Year. I also quite liked New 52 Nightwing.

I consciously left DKR and Killing Joke out because they're both so overexposed nobody reading this needs me to tell them they're considered 'classics' and they're also extremely overrated and have had an overwhelmingly negative effect on Batman stories and comic books as a whole.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It is fair to say that they're well known enough to not need more press (though the same can be said for Year One). It is not fair to slag them because hack writers tried to milk the cow and failed. That's like blaming Wolverine for Liefeld or Superman for....well, everybody who isn't good. The word overrated is too easy to throw around.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm really glad Batman 66 has been a lot more vindicated recently. It's unironically one of my favorite Batman incarnations, along with BB. As for my favorite single Batman story...probably that one Tim Drake one where Batman is out of town and Tim has an epiphany while playing D&D. Mostly just because I read that to death as a kid, but it was top notch too.

Roth posted:

I really like The Long Halloween.

The art's not that great, but I really dig the story of the Gotham mob falling apart while crazy supervillains take over, and Harvey's descent into villainy. I just like stories of really good people going bad in general.

I really like The Long Halloween, but the art is like half of it for me.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
The Long Halloween and Dark Victory were preceded by three LOTDK Halloween Specials (they were reprinted in Haunted Knight). I consider that all one big awesome run. Definitely in it for the art though, but Loeb's scripting isn't anywhere near his more recent output.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Also, I think the current Spoiler costume is growing on me. I still prefer the old version though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Travis343 posted:

I consciously left DKR and Killing Joke out because they're both so overexposed nobody reading this needs me to tell them they're considered 'classics' and they're also extremely overrated and have had an overwhelmingly negative effect on Batman stories and comic books as a whole.

Same applies to Year One.

• Locked thread