Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

The Destrian Heist, A Sci-Fi Game of Mafia for 16 Players

Destria is a mining planet, a mostly unremarkable globe in a mostly unremarkable system. Its most useful mineral, ikria, is a firmly unoriginal resource, though where money is to be made, someone will be found making it. The Talian Composite Airfield is a Avantian industrial hybrid facility, used mostly by various companies and conglomerates to house payloads until a buyer is secured. Operated by the AIC’s Department of Terran Interior, it's staffed by a motley crew of misfits, mostly uneducated folks from the local Destrian population, those who were unmotivated enough to stay.

Many of the staff have heard recently of a certain package, housed not in the usual cargo bay, but in the staff quarters, in the security supervisor’s office. You couldn’t get a good look of it from the outside, but supposedly it's a very heavy, secured box. Something that the Commonwealth’s own boys were coming to pick up. Where had it come from? What was it for? They knew their questions wouldn’t be answered, but there just wasn’t much else to talk about.

Communications had been out for about 2 rotations, which wasn’t too abnormal for such a remote facility, but with the hubbub surrounding that package… Hey, the supervisor has looked a lot more nervous today...

Standard mafia rules apply. Thread will be closed at night, don't post after a day action or a hammer, etc.

Don't import drama, be petty towards others or make things personal in this thread.

If you'd like to sign up as a replacement, please indicate so! I'd appreciate it! If you don't like to play vanilla town, don't sign up for any mafia games, just on principle!

Players:
  1. Absurd Revolver
  2. dongsbot 9000 Mills
  3. Ernie.
  4. imgay
  5. Jedit
  6. Kashuno
  7. MG3
  8. Moatillata
  9. PBS Newshour
  10. Pinterest Mom
  11. Quidnose
  12. Retro Futurist
  13. SirSamVimes
  14. TMMadman
  15. Tremendous Taste
  16. yuming

Events:

N0: CCKeane, Charles Keane, Patrol (town-aligned vanilla) died.
D1: resulted in a no lynch.
N1: Jedit, Anton Rackham, Cargo Associate (town-aligned mason) was killed N1.
Tremendous Taste, “Matt Clipson” RPX Plant (mafia-aligned goon) has disappeared N1.

George Kansas fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I'm actually almost done with the role PMs, so if we do fill up we'll start really quick. If I do finish today or tomorrow I'll post in the discussion thread since I know some people like to join games they know will start immediately.

edit: halfway full, btw

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

yuming posted:

It's me I wanna play!

:sun:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

that a sign-up taste

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

1 more!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

thread closing. sending out PMs. When I reopen, you guys can confirm, but I will officially start D1 with a post. s'all good

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Okay I sent all the PMs pretty much simultaneously. Also, I realized that on one or two of your PMs I didn't click the "I want to believe" banner on accident. That was a mistake, don't read into that.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

A 42nd straight hour of no communications. How long does it take for some repair team to find a rip in the fiber? It’s been a restless week, and dead lines during a flightless week puts everyone on edge even more.

As the 3rd shifters got up that evening to scrape their living, one of them found a body right outside the staff chambers. No bullethole, no knife in the back. It just looks like he fell. Not breathing at all.

Guards start shuffling, wondering what the gently caress is going on. One of them finally has the bright idea to get the portable stretcher to wheel the corpse to the medbay. After a night of men trying to get their poo poo together, the foreman calls an all-staff meeting for the morning.

CCKeane, Charles Keane, Patrol (town-aligned vanilla) died N0.

It is now D1.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

votefinder decided to keep some votes, votefinder has a mind of its own :shrug:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Absurd Revolver posted:

no one joins mafia games becuz of me :smith:

Wait, who are you again?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

How did this person sneak into my game?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

MG3 posted:

Hey BK can you put this in the OP:

I did that D1, if it wasn't showing up then :iiam:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

dongsbot 9000 has been replaced by Mills

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

TMMadman posted:

Haha, BK hasn't actually put Mills into the game, so that vote doesn't actually count with votefinder.

being a mod is hard (fixed)

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

The Talian staff gathered in the makeshift assembly room, as vicious whispers became louder and louder. What had happened to Keane? He had been such a normal, solid dude. Just did his job, ran around the perimeter, cracked a few jokes. The foreman walked up to the ‘podium,’ which was just a couple boxes of cargo stacked up, and opened a manila envelope. He proceeded to read a detailed report of Keane’s bad fall, his gruesome subsequent injuries, and tragic yet accidental death. An open and shut matter. A valued member of our team, may he be remembered, and many well wishes to his family in this time of grief. Staff dismissed. As the foreman walked out of the room, sweat was dripping down his face, relief and anxiety battling over him simultaneously.

D1 has resulted in a no lynch.

It is now N1.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I'm gonna set a deadline of 6:00 PM EDT tomorrow, August 20th for night actions. I'll try to poke people before then but if I don't get them by then, you will forfeit N1.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

N1 Deadline has been extended to tomorrow at 3PM EDT, get in your gosh dang night actions gosh

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

The day was far more peaceful, an air of sensibility had washed over the employees as their responsibilities returned to normal. There were even rumblings that communications would come back online soon. A big shipment was coming in next week, which meant the base was doing well, and the prospect of a orbit-end bonus was looking mightier and mightier.

Yells for aid were suddenly heard down the corridor. People running, eyes wide, hands over their mouths. How could this possibly be happening.

Jedit, Anton Rackham, Cargo Associate (town-aligned mason) was killed N1.

But where was Matt? He and Anton worked together, he needs to hear the news. Such a horrible thing, and for the body to be shoved behind boxes like that.

Tremendous Taste, “Matt Clipson” RPX Plant (mafia-aligned goon) has disappeared N1.

It is now D2.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

votefinder is hosed due to australians so I'm gonna be hand-counting votes I guess today.

deadline is Tuesday, August 23rd, 10:00PM EDT.

with 14 alive, it takes 8 to lynch!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Clarification: I read Mills post as "I'm leaving this game," but on a reread I suppose I should've parsed it as "I'm temporarily leaving the thread."

This was an incorrect read by me, and I apologize.

I am no longer seeking his replacement.

My apologies to Mills for misinterpreting his post.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

When Votefinder came back up I started the new day, set the deadline... and forgot to kill off the dead. :smith:

Votecount for Day 2

MG3 (5): Absurd Revolver, Moatillata, Pinterest Mom, PBS Newshour, Kashuno
Mills (1): TMMadman, MG3, MG3
Quidnose (0): PBS Newshour, PBS Newshour

Not Voting (8): Ernie., imgay, MG3, Mills, Quidnose, Retro Futurist, SirSamVimes, yuming

With 14 alive, it's 8 votes to lynch. The current deadline is August 23rd, 2016 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 2 days, 23 hours.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Quidnose posted:

That's not an actual thing, you're thinking of Burger King and their Cheeto Bites

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/cheetos-burrito-taco-bell-just-announced-the-ultimate-food-mashup-2016-08-01

edit: oh this isn't the discussion thread lol

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Mills posted:

That looks disgusting.

Like, even for taco bell it looks loving terrible.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

What's the general thought on day lengths? Does anyone like their current length? Or does everyone agree they should be shorter? I'll deffo make them shorter if everyone wants.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

The Talian Composite Airfield was on full lockdown. Nobody was leaving the facility. Something was happening, and martial law had been imposed. Mentions of RPX had been thrown around ever since Matt and Anton disappeared. Someone wanted that box, and they had botched the grab horribly.

The shirts grabbed another one for detainment. Probably another hole in the head. He'll probably never be seen again. Poor Ken.

imgay, “Ken Frondo”, RPX Heavy (mafia-aligned roleblocker) has been lynched D2.

It is now N2.

Get in your night actions.

If you have less posts than me, or even just barely more posts than me, post more tomorrow. D3 will only be a couple irl days long.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Overseer Wilson sat in his locked down office, wondering what to do. Not much was happening. Not much work could be done when everyone was fearing for their lives and wondering what body would turn up next. He knew he never should’ve made that deal with RPX, he gave them every possible aid and they still botched the hell out of it. This was turning into a massacre. He wouldn’t be surprised if before long the whole base was dead, and long before the sabotaged communications got back online.

The intercom came online. Two more bodies were found. Oh god, they got Hyden and Mattix? Those were two of your best officers. How long before the whole staff just starts an open firefight?

Retro Futurist, Gaston Hyden, Medstaff (town-aligned doctor) was killed N2.

SirSamVimes, Avery Mattix, Security Supervisor (town-aligned 2-shot vigilante) was killed N2.

It is now N3.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Kashuno posted:

what happened to d3?

Lol typo

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Kashuno posted:

:agreed: tbh. They are trash players

Yeah okay stop this bullshit please. Thanks.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Open firefights. Guns heard in every corridor. Who wouldn’t turn up dead at this point? The darkest of comedies.

PBS Newshour, Colby Valante, Personnel Director (town-aligned tracker) was lynched D3.

It is now N3.

Get in your night actions. Tonight, preferably.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

The ghost was found. A specter hiding in the air vents, finally shot down in all the conflict. Mission not accomplished, one would suppose.

Quidnose, “James Moora”, ICE Black Ops (self-aligned ninja) was killed N3.

It is now D4.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Hey, I was swamped with class and homework tonight. Just got down in bed to sleep and remembered I need to post this flip.

Mills, Lincoln Dituri, Grieving Alcoholic (town-aligned jailor) was lynched D4.

It is now N4.

Get in your night actions by tomorrow evening tia

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I can't close the thread from the awful app. Ugh I gotta log into the forums on mobile chrome ugh

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

”Bodybag”

“Copy”

“Residuals Leavening”

“Copy”

“Continuing On”

Pinterest Mom, George Howell, Patrol (town-aligned vanilla) was killed N4.

It is now D5.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

The compound finally had been quiet. Two tense hours had gone by, and not a single gunshot had been heard. No footsteps, nothing.

"Well, this was dirtier than anticipated."

"It's the RPX way. At least we got rid of the mole."

"Who was that guy anyway? Raeth? ICE?"

"Doesn't matter. Monitor, sequence lockdown off."

Suddenly, the backup lights turned off and normal lighting returned to the compound. Any background sirens were silenced. Sounds of pressurized and mechanical doors could be heard opening all over the Airfield.

"Lockdown deactivated. Field, Plant, payload secure?"

"Positive. VTOL confirmed for landing in 12."

"What's in it anyways, Plant?"

"Some rocks. Who cares. Regroup, evac."

The town voted to no lynch on D5.

Absurd Revolver, Diego Carrick, Bored Guard (town-aligned tracker) was killed N5!

yuming, Weston Barick, Cargo Manager (town-aligned tracker/mason) has been endgamed!

MG3, Alec Linkovich, Patrol (town-aligned vanilla) has been endgamed!

TMMadman, Victor Andreas, Patrol (town-aligned vanilla) has been endgamed!

Ernie, “Enjawn Jackson”, RPX Field (mafia-aligned rolecop), Kashuno, “Jeff Baker”, RPX Plant (mafia-aligned goon) and Moatillata, “Bobby Wilson”, RPX Monitor (mafia-aligned tracker) have won the game for the mafia!

Thank you all for playing!!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Seeing the way this game went, especially with night actions, having 6 non-town vs 10 town definitely seems unbalanced. I haven't modded many games, so this is definitely a learning experience, but Ecco convinced me when looking over my setup that the trackers would confirm each other and open a lot of the game up for town. Especially when Quid killed TT, I thought this would be a balanced setup. I don't think it was as swung one way as the result implied, but I would definitely not do this setup again.

Oh, also, I really like flavor, but not really so much as a tool to be inspected. Quid was the kill that made someone mysteriously disappear, but that wasn't because every kill from Quid was going to be that as some theorized (like kash in the scumdoc), but because for flavor reasons, the Black Ops operative wouldn't just kill someone and leave a body for no reason when nobody had any reason to suspect anything was going on yet. Later on, when things were a bloodbath, gently caress it. I like flavor in terms of the story, which I understand isn't particularly helpful to the players, but I think that's sorta fine since flavor is always misdirect-y.

But still, I appreciate you all playing in my game. I hope to keep this flavor going.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

moddoc

scumdoc

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

TMMadman posted:

And don't get me wrong BK. I enjoyed the game and flavor. I just didn't enjoy the end.

I just don't like setups where there are too many non town. I had the same problem with a 15 player game that had 4 scum and an SK. I just don't think it really gives town a chance unless they get lucky.

No, I think you're right. This setup definitely favored scum. While I would make an argument that, with the night actions town made, even if the setup didn't favor scum they probably would've lost anyways, the setup looked a lot different D3 than it did while I was writing it up. So, basically, I learned a ton.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

yuming posted:

This was a really volatile setup. I think I'd've preferred the same group of players better with a more normal game.

gj and getting Kash TMM I think I would've considered him more if I had some reason to believe the scumteam was so large.

I knew I had vague bad feels about Moat. Gotta be more decisive.

Thanks all!

My setups have been all over the place. I've run very normal stuff, and I don't think I've ever actually run a role madness.

But still, this game was fun to read and I really appreciate you signing up for it yuming. :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Tbh I think the correct play for scum this last day was for Moat to say he tracked AR to the kill for the win.

• Locked thread