Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

What's this thing?
Enderal: The Shards of Order is a free total conversion mod for Skyrim and the sequel to the Oblivion total conversion mod Nehrim: At Fate's Edge, developed by the German mod team SureAI. Released in German last month, Enderal has just come out in English today!

Total Conversion? What's that mean?
Pretty much exactly what it sounds like. Enderal uses Skyrim's engine to essentially create a completely new game, with its own world, characters, items, spells, and game systems. Though the game has an obvious Skyrim feel due to the engine, Enderal is completely disconnected from Skyrim, Tamriel, and the Elder Scrolls continuity. All you need to play is a legal PC copy of Skyrim.

So why would I want to play this thing?
Here's a few reasons:
  • A completely new world: Enderal's world isn't as massive as Skyrim's, but it still contains a huge number of quests and the developers promise 30-100 hours of playtime, depending on how completionist you're feeling.
  • A varied landscape: Enderal isn't just Nordic forest and snowfields like Skyrim was. You'll see deserts, jungles, and beaches, just to name a few.
  • Overhauled game systems: Enderal discards Skyrim's "learn by doing" skill system in favor of a more traditional RPG template with experience points for kills and quests. Leveling up grants you skill points which can be used to improve the skills of your choice. There are also new abilities that replace Skyrim's Shouts, as well as new perk trees and "classes" your character can gain by investing enough in each tree.
  • New items and spells: It wouldn't be an RPG if there wasn't a vast amount of loot to be had. Enderal takes things one step further with concepts from other games such as armor sets, which grant bonuses the more pieces of the set you wear.
  • No level scaling: Everything in Enderal is fixed, from the enemies to the loot. Certain areas of the game are explicitly meant for characters of higher levels, and it's entirely possible to blunder into them and get horribly murdered, or make off with a badass sword 20 levels earlier than you're supposed to have it.
  • Full voice acting: Normally a negative for a mod, but early reports claim the voice work is decent, if not stellar.
Screenshots

FAQ

So how do I actually install Enderal?
You can download Enderal's installer from the Enderal website. Note that the installer comes in two parts: a launcher and an "installation package", which contains the actual game data. The installation package is about 8GB and the launcher will ask for it during the installation process. The launcher will also back up your Skyrim directory for you during installation.

So my 10,000 Skyrim mods will work perfectly with this game, right?
Almost certainly not! Enderal uses its own .esm file, which means Skyrim mods won't play nicely with it (and the installer will beat you over the head about this). It's best to install Enderal on a clean install of Skyrim. Enderal also comes with its own version of SkyUI out of the box, so you don't have to worry about using Skyrim's lovely consolized interface.
UPDATE: Several people in the thread have confirmed that minor Skyrim mods for things such as the UI or quality-of-life improvements will work just fine with Enderal. That said, you should still add your mods after Enderal is installed, rather than trying to install Enderal on top of your modded Skyrim directory.

I've never played Nehrim. Is this game going to make any sense?
You should be fine. Enderal takes place in the same world as Nehrim, but the intro cinematic will tell you the important bits of Nehrim's plot.

Where do I go for the quest "Secrets from a Can"?
Step 1: The kid is a liar, the shrine isn't behind his house. It's a small glowing structure next to the beach.
Step 2: If you look to the west from the shrine you can see a giant dead tree up on a hill. Go there, and near the tree are some ruined-looking stairs that will lead you to the spot.

I'm stuck on <other quest>, help!
Ask in the thread! I'll be sure to add common places to get stuck here as people come across them.

Where the gently caress is the last piece of <armor set>? I've looked everywhere!
Reddit has put together a loot listing if you're looking for a particular item. Spoilers abound, obviously.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009
:getin:

Been looking forward to this after beating Nehrim last week. Morrowind and Gothic are obvious inspirations, but I feel like Nehrim got a little Final Fantasy near the end. More final boss battles with giant swords and personifications of abstract concepts like fate please! Hopefully Enderal is similarly ambitious.

Does anyone know if this will work with Mod Organizer? Seems like Enderal's installer will do everything, but I still would feel better keeping my main data files "clean."

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm sort of considering playing this mod even though I've never actually touched regular Skyrim.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Mordja posted:

I'm sort of considering playing this mod even though I've never actually touched regular Skyrim.

Can recommend. Their track record with Nehrim was honestly pure gold, if you are an RPG fan this is a must, must play

That leaves the biggest question, direct download or torrent

Urthor fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 14, 2016

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009

Urthor posted:

Can recommend. Their track record with Nehrim was honestly pure gold, if you are an RPG fan this is a must, must play

That leaves the biggest question, direct download or torrent
Torrent.

ModDB is getting hammered right now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If I got Skyrim on Steam, what would be involved in making a clean game? Just move all my files/saves to a backup and delete local content, then redownload?

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Geez, I've been f5'ing for this for almost a month and on the one day I forget to check for it...

I always thought the best way to describe the predecessor, Nehrim, is a Oblivion mod made by people who really really liked Gothic 2. I hope this one is more of the same.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You said this was a 'sequel' to Nehrim- is that just in the sense that it's another TC from Nehrim's makers, or should I play Nehrim to understand the story of this one? Because I can't find my Morrowind CD (CDs? I can't even remember, it was so long), and it seems like a bit too much of a time investment.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CommissarMega posted:

You said this was a 'sequel' to Nehrim- is that just in the sense that it's another TC from Nehrim's makers, or should I play Nehrim to understand the story of this one? Because I can't find my Morrowind CD (CDs? I can't even remember, it was so long), and it seems like a bit too much of a time investment.

Nehrim's for Oblivion, not Morrowind and no, no relation. You can just play this one.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

CommissarMega posted:

From what I understand, Nehrim and Enderal take place in the same world, but they're not so connected that you need to play Nehrim first. I could be wrong, but I haven't finished downloading yet :shobon:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Nehrim 2? Hell yeah I'm down with that. Nehrim was the only good thing about the debacle that was Oblivion.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mordja posted:

Nehrim's for Oblivion, not Morrowind and no, no relation. You can just play this one.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

From what I understand, Nehrim and Enderal take place in the same world, but they're not so connected that you need to play Nehrim first. I could be wrong, but I haven't finished downloading yet :shobon:

Awesome, time to get this thing going then!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
gently caress yes! I've been looking forward to this.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

You know, I could really use a crisp piece of meat. A crisp piece of meat. A crisp piece of meat.

(The voice acting is pretty comically bland at best until you get to the first follower, who actually puts in a decent performance.)

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
The intro tried really, really hard.

I am in the normal world now and enjoying things somewhat although every time I try to a city or village it turns out it's full of angry people or skeletons or wolves.

I am not very strong because I have only gotten like two levels so the constant wolves are wearing me down.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Merrill Grinch posted:

You know, I could really use a crisp piece of meat. A crisp piece of meat. A crisp piece of meat.

(The voice acting is pretty comically bland at best until you get to the first follower, who actually puts in a decent performance.)

I dunno, I kinda liked that alchemist guy for the whole five minutes he lasted.

I just got a loading screen message that told me by the end of the game you can max out, at best, three skill trees. Fair enough. But then it said that maxing two "complimentary" skill trees would unlock some sort of powerful skill, but did not explain what that actually loving means. Does it mean two from the same stone? Because that'd be dumb.

I'm also mildly annoyed that lockpicking seems locked in with archery skills for no good reason.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, this seems interesting, but I have a Steam copy of Skyrim. Is there anything special I need to do to make a clean copy, if I can, without it or Steam getting upset?

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Roland Jones posted:

So, this seems interesting, but I have a Steam copy of Skyrim. Is there anything special I need to do to make a clean copy, if I can, without it or Steam getting upset?

Everyone has a steam copy of Skyrim. The first thing the installer does is make a backup of your Skyrim files.

Also this game is hard. I spend a lot of time running from fights.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

joebob posted:

Everyone has a steam copy of Skyrim.

Fair enough.

quote:

The first thing the installer does is make a backup of your Skyrim files.

Alright, good to know. Thanks.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

joebob posted:

Everyone has a steam copy of Skyrim. The first thing the installer does is make a backup of your Skyrim files.

Also this game is hard. I spend a lot of time running from fights.

Germans sure seem to like their games difficult. Melee seems pretty harsh in this game, I think I'm gonna go magic.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
How much more tightly-scripted is this than the usual Bethesda game? I like Skyrim, but I kinda want some direction with my games now.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

How much more tightly-scripted is this than the usual Bethesda game? I like Skyrim, but I kinda want some direction with my games now.

I've heard it as a more linear, tightly written game.

Also, do we know if we can use german voices with the English version yet? I'd like to have the german audio but everything else English, if possible.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

iGestalt posted:

I've heard it as a more linear, tightly written game.

Alright cool, I'll go try it out for kicks.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Does pickpocketing work? I've only run into like three dudes who weren't actively trying to kill me and all three were plot. Ducking at them just made my cursor suggest that I could Taschendiebstahl them, but it just talked to them instead of giving me access to their pockets.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Does anyone know which setting will turn off the blur on faraway objects? I keep feeling like my eyes are out of focus.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Does anyone know which setting will turn off the blur on faraway objects? I keep feeling like my eyes are out of focus.

Try setting the details on distant objects higher under visibility?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Disable DoF in your video card settings?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Where do I actually see what my learning points are?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Doctor Goat posted:

Where do I actually see what my learning points are?

They're in the hero menu (default H).

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

They're in the hero menu (default H).

Ah, okay. This is the one thing that doesn't work on controllers.

Should I have a class by Riverville? I'm still Blade Dancer / Adventurer from the beginning.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Huh, heres something mildly interesting, when you complete the quest 'secrets from the can' you get the sword 'Cold Night' which seems to be a very rough and unfinished two-hander. but thinking about the name, it could also be made of Cold Iron.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

Fun Fact: The fire arrow skill in the archery tree is incredibly OP. Who needs mana, or ammo, or the ability to aim? I have unlimited exploding arrows that do massive damage!

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Rrussom posted:

Huh, heres something mildly interesting, when you complete the quest 'secrets from the can' you get the sword 'Cold Night' which seems to be a very rough and unfinished two-hander. but thinking about the name, it could also be made of Cold Iron.

Where the gently caress is the place described by the poem

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

joebob posted:

Where the gently caress is the place described by the poem

The Shrine is Right there as a big glowing building next to the ocean, not "behind our house" like the kid says.

The next spot is the giant tree on top of the big hill to the west

Last is I dunno, i followed some ruin stairs nearby and found it

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Doctor Goat posted:

Ah, okay. This is the one thing that doesn't work on controllers.

Should I have a class by Riverville? I'm still Blade Dancer / Adventurer from the beginning.
Judging from the description in the hero menu, your class is determined only by your investments in the perk trees. The Enderal website made it sound like you chose a class manually early on, but I guess I misinterpreted that.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Merrill Grinch posted:

The Shrine is Right there as a big glowing building next to the ocean, not "behind our house" like the kid says.

The next spot is the giant tree on top of the big hill to the west

Last is I dunno, i followed some ruin stairs nearby and found it

Thank you!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So how exactly do I spend these level up points the game is handing to me? I know the skill and craft points are meant to be spent via books, but how do I spend memory points? The description seems a little vague.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

CommissarMega posted:

So how exactly do I spend these level up points the game is handing to me? I know the skill and craft points are meant to be spent via books, but how do I spend memory points? The description seems a little vague.

Go into bizarre meditation land and touch the nodes on the big rocks.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Infinity Gaia posted:

Go into bizarre meditation land and touch the nodes on the big rocks.

Oh, cool, thanks! Wonder how I missed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Judging from the description in the hero menu, your class is determined only by your investments in the perk trees. The Enderal website made it sound like you chose a class manually early on, but I guess I misinterpreted that.
According to glancing at their forums, if you are at least level 21 and have 10 points in two trees, you unlock a combo class which doesn't give you more skills or access to a new tree, just some passive bonuses. But not for every combination. The only one I know of is Vandal + Elementalist = Battlemage but I'm not sure the translation of Vandal is correct since it was from a pre-release post and I haen't had a chance to play.

• Locked thread