Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

various cheeses posted:

I am getting a Porsche Cayman next month before they all turn into 4cyl turbos.

Nice car, mom. I'm sure you'll look great picking up the kids from soccer practice on that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
My 94 jeep cherokee which I got when I was 16 died on me years ago and I am still grieving. ;.; That was such a drat good car. poo poo gas milage tho.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
Swift Sport, it's pretty good, not as fun as the Iggy sport. will prob trade for an Abarth 500 next year

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Cubey posted:

i drive a rolling death wish

1991 mr2

I drove one of these for the first time a few months ago on a track day. Owner was shotgun with me and taught me about snap steering. Holy suck that's scary

idiotbitch
Jul 16, 2013

notZaar posted:

Nice car, mom. I'm sure you'll look great picking up the kids from soccer practice on that thing.

if you look you will find moms driving every car. Its startling

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

idiotbitch posted:

if you look you will find moms driving every car. Its startling

I thought he was talking about the Porsche suv that trashy suburban moms drive, it's my bad.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

Booblord Zagats posted:

I drove one of these for the first time a few months ago on a track day. Owner was shotgun with me and taught me about snap steering. Holy suck that's scary

Yeah my little bro has a '90 turbo, with the pov spec eco 14" tyres it came with I got to experience this for myself coming out of a roundabout in fresh rain, you've really got to be on the ball to catch it.

I drive a '10 renault clio rs which is a small hot hatch :france:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Booblord Zagats posted:

it is a fantastically-driving car as long as you have a lot of respect for it. it is my third sports car and neither of my previous two (300zx and rx7) rotated through turns as elegantly as this thing does, it's really a blast. liftoff and snap oversteer in an mr2 are scary but they are also all on the person driving it getting in over his or her head, such as the one time i've had liftoff oversteer in it so far in which i was on a road i'd never been on and ignored the sign that said to slow down to 25 for a turn (hurf).

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I kinda want to get a RWD car next but I don't know if the thing would just be completely unmanageable on snow compared to a FWD car

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Monkey Fracas posted:

I kinda want to get a RWD car next but I don't know if the thing would just be completely unmanageable on snow compared to a FWD car

Here is the secret ready

Get snow tires when it's winter and put summer tires back on when it isn't cold anymore. Tires are by far the most important part of your vehicle when it comes to snow driving. That and driving with respect. My favorite part of winter in Michigan when I still lived there was all the 4 wheel drive and AWD trucks and SUVs in ditches there were. 4WD/AWD might let you accelerate faster but lmao it doesn't stop you any faster.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I drove my RX7 in the snow many, many times without issue. Hell I even drove it home in an ice storm once; a cop followed me for half an hour on that drive even though it was a two-lane road, prolly waiting for me to spin, but nope. RWD in the snow is trickier, but it is far, far from 'unmanageable'.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Instead of buying really sweet cars, I just buy the Matchbox or Hot Wheels version. Saves a lot of money and then when I'm sick of the car and ready to move on to a cooler model I can just throw it away.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

Here is the secret ready

Get snow tires when it's winter and put summer tires back on when it isn't cold anymore. Tires are by far the most important part of your vehicle when it comes to snow driving. That and driving with respect. My favorite part of winter in Michigan when I still lived there was all the 4 wheel drive and AWD trucks and SUVs in ditches there were. 4WD/AWD might let you accelerate faster but lmao it doesn't stop you any faster.

Oh hey I do the snow/summer tires thing already. nice

yeah winter tires make such a big difference- got them on my old car because I do a lot of rural driving (read: we'll clear that road whenever we get to it, man) and it's just a night and day traction difference

my current car came with summer tires so yeah winter tires were a necessity but I probably would have done it anyways

yeah it's always funny to see bigass trucks and 4WD vehicles in the ditch (usually the first couple of snowfalls where people somehow "forget" what driving in snow/ice is like)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

rear end posted:

no shame driving a crown vic. reliable, comfortable, cheap and spacious, what's not to like

ending up going 5 under the limit any time you are behind someone

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

2006 Acura RL

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

The Rage posted:

2006 Acura RL

I took my 2001 RL from 80,000 miles in 2007 to 240,000 in 2013. Never broke down once.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Gomi Day posted:

actually?

because that's wonderful. :allears:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728274

Yep.

ROFLburger posted:

nice garbage truck

just kidding i like it

I figure if I have to wade through trash every time I go onto the road, why not?

Makes it easy to find in parking lots, too.

Doccers fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 16, 2016

Klimpy Borf
Oct 22, 2010
I don't own a car, I ride a motorcycle. I like to ride it to places and then lean out front of the place in my leather jacket, smoking a cigarette and asking all the fly honeys if they want a ride.

I also ride a bicycle for getting drunk, because I'm sure as gently caress not getting a DUI, and taking an uber 2 miles is stupid.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Doccers posted:

Yep.

I figure if I have to wade through trash every time I go onto the road, why not?

That is an awesome ride.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Cubey posted:

it is a fantastically-driving car as long as you have a lot of respect for it. it is my third sports car and neither of my previous two (300zx and rx7) rotated through turns as elegantly as this thing does, it's really a blast. liftoff and snap oversteer in an mr2 are scary but they are also all on the person driving it getting in over his or her head, such as the one time i've had liftoff oversteer in it so far in which i was on a road i'd never been on and ignored the sign that said to slow down to 25 for a turn (hurf).

I agree, it handles like a dream, but the owner instructed me on how to put it in to snap so I could experience it, since we had discussed it. Having a car suddenly just decide it wanted to go left RIGHT GODDAM NOW is a pucker factor moment

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Monkey Fracas posted:

Get seasonally appropriate tires and accelerate slowly in snow/ice

I had a 320hp Nova in the snow for a few months, never once spun it out

Thats all you have to do

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
1999 Nissan Altima, engine died at 230,000 miles, put in "new" engine I bought on Ebay for $850 and I am up to 258,000 now. Havent had a car payment since 2004.

ZombieSnot
Jan 2, 2011

Entrenched in nutritious rotting flesh.
2013 Mazda 6. It really is a great car. Problem is I was raised on 2 year phone contracts, so now it looks old to me and I want a new one right now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Doccers posted:

Yep.

This is so super rad and I bet you get no end of attention. I'm guessing most people that say anything to you about it is either "woah what is that" or some sort of joke about how many wheels you have.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i drove a vw passat while doing a road trip of the US and it was real nice having cruise control doing 95 everywhere

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013
old pontiac grand am lol

I want a golf

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

KakerMix posted:

This is so super rad and I bet you get no end of attention. I'm guessing most people that say anything to you about it is either "woah what is that" or some sort of joke about how many wheels you have.

The most common question/comment I get is on the lines of :"is that a Pinzgauer/Nice Pinzgauer".

Which is fair, they look pretty similar.

But yeah lots and lots of attention. people also give me more room on the roads and don't honk furiously at me if I don't accelerate fast enough off a light, which is really nice.

When I repaint it I think I need to put "NOT A PINZGAUER" somewhere on it, though.

I've been working on the interior and am becoming increasingly proud the more I get done. :3:

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I have two cars, a Honda Accord and and an old Volvo 240 I bought in June for $500 for fun. I like them both.

Lots of smart people itt driving old Japanese sedans essentially for just the price of gas.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i love wide american roads to just drive all over the place to keep doing 90 because there are 6 lanes and nobody can stay out of a faster lane when they're doing the speed limit

in the UK you're lucky to have 3 lanes

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

2015 Ford Focus.

My last car was an 07 Pontiac G5 which had been rear-ended at least 5 times and the one time I rear-ended someone, and the suspension was hosed. It started overheating and blowing hot air in the middle of summer, and the dealer couldn't figure out exactly what was wrong with it. And the time the power steering failed, and I had to wrestle-steer it into a flatbed truck. That car was a POS.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A 1988 Toyota Supra. It has no cup holders at all but does have an ash tray in the front that's the size of a VHS tape because obviously you're supposed to be chainsmoking whilst driving it :clint:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Booblord Zagats posted:

I agree, it handles like a dream, but the owner instructed me on how to put it in to snap so I could experience it, since we had discussed it. Having a car suddenly just decide it wanted to go left RIGHT GODDAM NOW is a pucker factor moment

that dude owns and is hilarious.

come to think of it, this would be a good thing to do to any teen/early 20's moron thinking of buying an mr2 to show them that they are not prepared for such a thing yet

idiotbitch
Jul 16, 2013
What car will get me hot chicks. Serious post

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

idiotbitch posted:

Girls love irony, go with a Yugo

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

idiotbitch posted:

OctoberBlues posted:

Girls love irony, go with a Yugo

Import a Honda Beat, the Yugo isn't weird or unique looking enough even if it isn't bad advice.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I was so close to getting a Beat.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

between the beat, the cappuccino and the az-1, japan made some really hilarious, dumb cars back then. driving them on an american highway would probably be absolutely terrifying tho.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

idiotbitch posted:

G37s, M3s and F150s seem to get the most girls

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Also, chicks seem to really like the Fiat 500 and the mini

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU