Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Andrew, the Unicorn, AdjectiveNoun
Anne, the Fae, ShootaBoy
Riley, the Infernal, SuddenConsequences
Spencer, the Ghost, Antivehicular
Sunny, the Mortal, GodFish

Strings sheet (please keep updated)

Students:
  • Casey Adams (Riley’s former best friend who got weird after Riley kissed her that one time)
  • Dakota Bright (she was sick and got better and Spencer hates her and wishes she died instead)
  • Deborah (rich girl, Riley took her phone once because gently caress rich girls, hasn’t been at school since though...)
  • Joey Fenchurch (will hook you up with weed when ANDREW DOESN’T STEAL IT ALL)
  • Larry Haussman (wants to be Spencer’s friend, is in every club and wants Spencer to try one of them out)
  • Lisa Gerstein (one of Andrew’s concern troll projects)
  • Ryan Richards (Sunny’s neighbour, very friendly, very popular, probably evil because not even the dog likes him)
  • Stan Eyman (Anne’s former crush, she got him lost in fairyland)

Assorted adults:
  • Andrew’s dad (alcoholic)
  • Andrew’s mom (skipped town)
  • Anne’s dad (can see faeries but ignores them)
  • Anne’s mom (a faerie, lives in another world)
  • Mr. Baumman (is actually down with the kids, but hates Sunny because she’s not from around here)
  • Riley’s dad (works a lovely job in Carlspoint, used to write bottle letters with Riley)
  • Librarian Lady (Knows Spencer’s dead, maybe)
  • Dr. Marcia Malone (Sunny’s psycologist, very good at her job)
  • Pastor Greene (Leads the Church of Living Water, lovely faith healer, also a homophobe, got mad at people for trying to clean up skyfish that one time)
  • Riley’s mom (ditched her and her dad)
  • Sheriff Desi Sherman (The sheriff, Sunny’s aunt, she has a badge and a gun and also a secret society??)
  • Spencer’s mom and dad (out of towners who brought their dying son to a creepy faith healer, gently caress those two)
  • Ms. Spooler (your homeroom teacher, always looks tired, apparently has relationship problems)
  • Sunny’s dad (he’s pretty dead)
  • Sunny’s mom (dropped her off here because therapy is not an instant process)

Supernatural:
  • The Abyssal Deep (literally has you all surrounded)
  • The Boat Girl (She’s been waiting for Gordie for a while)
  • Tvisq (a faerie who likes to watch drama, has been moving in on Anne’s territory and starting to gently caress with people)

Dog:
  • Muffin (Sunny’s cute dog)

Seating Chart

Formatting note: Spencer has 7 letters in his name, which is longer than any other PCs or NPCs that need to go on this chart. When you're filling your name in, please make sure that there are exactly seven characters in the desk box -- keeps everything even. If you aren't Spencer or Andrew, just add underscores until you have the right number.

code:
[Larry__] [_______] [_______] [_______] [Stan___] [Dakota_]
[Casey__] [_______] [Anne___] [Joey___] [_______] [_______]
[Deborah] [Riley__] [Sunny_S] [Ryan___] [Spencer] [Lisa___]

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Drip. Drip. Drip.

loving rain.

It's been coming in heavy bands all day -- moments of clear separated by moments of deceptive calm. This storm, at one point, was a hurricane that wrecked a lot of poo poo in the Caribbean and the Florida coastline. You heard about it on the news. Now, though, it's not even a tropical storm -- just a lot of rain, a bit of wind. A "depression." Hellmouth Island: The place storms and dreams go to die.The schoolboard really should find the money somewhere to fix the roof before there's an actual hurricane, judging from the steady drip that comes down from the ceiling of your homeroom class, landing in a rusted old bucket someone dragged out of a closet to prevent a puddle from forming. It's already 2/3s of the way full.

Ms. Spooler doesn't seem to care much about that. Or much about anything before the bell rings. She sits behind her desk at the front of the room, staring at her computer screen, deaf and blind to anything else going on in the room short of one of you screaming at the top of your lungs or trying to kill one another. Dakota swears she got a look at the computer screen once or twice, from her superior vantage point up in the corner of the room -- Ms. Spooler spends a probably-unhealthy amount of time posting on r/relationships. She's young -- early to mid 20s -- and from out of town. Petite, almost pretty, but with an unapproachable, lifeless quality to her eyes some of the time. Rumor has it that this was the only full time teaching job she could find, and that the salary barely makes a dent in the mountain of student loans she needed to become a teacher in the first place. She can be a good teacher, sometimes, when she can bring herself to give a poo poo. Before she is technically being paid to, however, is definitely not one of those times.

Her classroom is largely spartan. A poster up on the cinderblock wall sternly warns against the use of drugs or alcohol. It's faded enough that it was probably hanging there long before Ms. Spooler came to work at the school. A clock high on the wall, exactly five minutes, thirty eight seconds slow. A picture on her desk, showing some guy you don't know. The blackboard behind her (what, you think this schoolboard can afford whiteboards?) is empty save for a whiteish smear of chalk where someone has erased its contents somewhat half-assedly. All in all, it presents a rather bleak vista, with little to look but one another, and little to do but talk among yourself in the long minutes before the bell goes off.

Andrew
Why are you late?

Anne
Larry broke a promise to you recently -- what happened there, and how are you going to fix it?

Riley
poo poo, is that Debora? It is, too! Just kind of... sitting at the back of the room, looking at nothing in particular. Weird. Do you talk to her or anything?

Spencer
Are you okay after what happened yesterday?

Sunny
Disaster struck on your way to school. Why is today the worst day ever?

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 15, 2016

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot: -1 | Cold: 0 | Volatile: 1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 0/5 | Conditions: none | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Homeroom

Some days you just feel like you get never really dry all the way. It's one thing to just be soaked but this damp, clammy bullshit is something else. And of course it finds it's way into the classroom. Why should this place be any better than anywhere else in town, right? Blech. And of course, when it rains... Deborah's back. gently caress. I mean... probably good actually, now that I think about it. I just don't wanna deal with that. But of course she's set up in the back, which leaves me with the alternative of sitting near Lisa and Ryan. Pass and super-pass. Fine. Guess I can just plop down next to her, see if she's still loopy or if she wants to start any poo poo and if she doesn't even better, right?

So I sit down next to her and give her a token glance of acknowledgement. "Sup Deb." Yeah, just act as if nothing happened, just a bit of disdain in my voice. "What's the matter? Did you get demoted to slum it in the back in your absence?" my mouth adds before I can think better of it. Whatever. Not like I feel bad for her anyway and I might as well make sure she knows it, right?

quote:

Name: Riley Keene
Skin: The Infernal
Look: quiet, sunken eyes
Origin: Chosen

Stats
Hot -1, Cold 0, Volatile 1, Dark 1

Moves

Soul Debt
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.
  • The Power Flows Through You - You can give the dark power a String in order to add 2 to your next roll (choose before rolling).
  • Elsewise Power - You can give the dark power a String to use a move you don’t have, just this once. This move can come from any playbook.

Can’t Save Myself
When somebody saves you from forces too powerful for you to reckon with, they mark experience, and you gain a String on them.

Dark Power
The Abyssal Deep

Sex Move
When you have sex, the dark power loses a String on you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Darkest Self
You can’t get what you need, anymore. The world has left you cold and alone, shivering in the wake of your own addictions. The dark power will make some open-ended demands of you, and it’ll promise you some lucrative (and perhaps volatile) things in return. Every demand you fulfill brings you a little closer to feeling whole again, to rekindling the fire in your heart. Whenever you fulfill those demands, remove a String it holds on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the dark power has no more Strings on you, or when you agree to an even worse bargain with an even more dangerous dark power.

Backstory
You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

code:
[Laury__] [_______] [_______] [_______] [Stan___] [Dakota_]
[Casey__] [_______] [_______] [Joey___] [_______] [_______]
[Debora_] [Riley__] [_______] [Ryan___] [_______] [Lisa___]

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 0/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: none

I hate everything.

I hate mornings, I hate school, I hate Hellmouth, I hate shoddy products made in china but I especially hate the loving rain! The only thing that isn't completely terrible about today is that when my Umbrella broke right as I walked under a clogged rain gutter that decided to overflow at that exact moment, I was able to curl up around my camera in time to make sure it didn't get any water in it. Which is something I really wish I could say about anything else on me. Me: Soaked. Backpack: Soaked. Homework: Soaked. Clothing: Soaked. Bright yellow rainboots I was wearing for the first time: Soaked, and also muddy.

I'm practically splashing with every step I take down the hall into the classroom. Oh, and I spilled my coffee when the water dumped on me. This day is the absolute worst day ev-Hey, there's a seat open next to Riley! My moon brightens very slightly, and I slosh my way over to the seat next to her, the one between her and Ryan. I give him a depressed, waterlogged look as I sit down, and turn to look at the one person who makes this place worthwhile. "Hi Riley." My voice sounds a bit breathy, not at all matching my appearance, or general mood. "How's your morning?" I think I managed a smile through all that water. My clothes are, as I've said, drenched, but maybe if I'm lucky they're sticking to me in a way that looks attractive, and not miserable. But when have I ever had any luck?

<godfish> turn on Riley (true love, entrenched)
<godfish> !r 2d6+4
<Krysmbot> godfish, 2+4 = 6
<godfish> pfffffffffffffffffffffff
<godfish> pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Mortal posted:

Name: Sunny Sherman
Look: Beautiful, human eyes
Origin: new kid in town

Mortal Moves
True Love
You always have exactly one lover. The first is chosen during your backstory. If you ever fall in love with someone else instead, give them a String and they become your new lover. You always carry 1 forward to earning your lover’s heart or fancy

Down the Rabbit Hole
When you go poking your nose in affairs not meant for your kind, someone involved in the situation gains a String on you, and you mark experience.

Entrenched
If you and another character have a total of 5 or more Strings on one another, gain 1 to all rolls against them.

Stats
Hot 2
Cold -1
Volatile -1
Dark 1

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, trigger their Darkest Self.

Darkest Self
Nobody understands you, or even wants to. They’d rather you disappear. Well, you’re not going to disappear. You’re going to make life a living hell for them. You’ll betray the wicked to the judges, the weak to the executioners. You’ll pit humans and supernaturals against one another, until everyone looks like monsters. Only seeing the pain that you’re causing your lover will let you escape your Darkest Self.

code:
[Debora_] [Riley__] [Sunny_S] [Ryan___] [_______] [Lisa___]

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Hot: 2 Cold: -1 Volatile: -1 Dark: 1
Harm:0/4 Exp: 1/5 Conditions: Drained

Oh Larry. It was something so simple, just letting me borrow some notes, and you forgot. Now I would have just shrugged it off, this once, since he's such a busy guy, but he had to say those magical words. 'I promise'. So now it's personal. But before I can revenge myself, I have to decide where I'm going to sit. Hmm... as tempting as the back looks, Sunny and Riley look so much more fun. Sunny is fresh and new which is always exciting, and I've caught Riley's eye wandering my way quite a bit lately. So yes, I think they'll be excellent neighbors.

I slide into the seat in front of Sunny, such a lovely name, and give both her and Riley a good morning while I settle in, but leaving them to their conversation otherwise. Plenty of time to chat after I figure out how to deal with Larry. Not really traditionally popular, but made his own by being in so many extracurriculars. All of the 'nerdy' ones though. Hmm... I wonder if he has his eye on someone? That could work. Oh yes, I think that will do nicely. I let myself sink into the Heartlands, just a tiny bit, just enough to see people's connections.

I say connections, but I suppose their feelings would be a closer fit, but it's not in the way most people think of feelings. This is seeing their personality and seeing who and what it reaches out to. Larry's is a nice yellow, with just a hint of black in it. How appropriate for such a busy little bee. Now let's follow these threads and see if they lead to a special someone.

(10:21:56 PM) ShootaBoy: Gaze About Larry
(10:21:56 PM) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6+1
(10:21:57 PM) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 7+1 = 8
Lucid and detailed visions, but I gain Drained. Marking XP for Dark.

Anne Jean Walton posted:

Skin: The Fae
Look: Disheveled, Laughing Eyes
Origin: Fae Blooded

Hot 2
Cold -1
Volatile -1
Dark 1

Moves:

Faery Contract
If someone breaks a promise or contract made to you, take a String on them. When spending a String to even out the score and get justice on a broken promise, add these options:
- They gently caress up something simple at a crucial moment;
- Add 2 to your roll on an act of vengeance;
- They suffer 1 harm, whether the cause is obvious or not.

Unashamed
You can give someone a String on you to add 3 to your attempt to turn them on.

Sex Move
When you lie naked with another, you can ask them for a promise. If they refuse, take 2 Strings on them.

Darkest Self
Everything you say is a promise. Everything you hear is a promise. If a promise is broken, justice must be wrought in blood. To escape your Darkest Self, you must in some way re-balance the scales of justice.

Advances

code:
[Casey__] [_______] [Anne___] [Joey___] [_______] [_______]
[Debora_] [Riley__] [Sunny_S] [Ryan___] [_______] [Lisa___]

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
XP: 0/5 | Conditions: None | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Homeroom

No, I'm not really okay.

A letter came to the house yesterday -- I didn't even know they were still delivering mail, but there it was. It was from my sister, Emily, and addressed to my parents. She said she was sorry, was this still the right address, and how were we doing? How was I doing? It was dated a week and a half ago, so... she should have known what happened. Did... did my parents not even tell her? That I died, that they moved?

I don't know how to deal with that. It's beating itself against the back of my head, loud and angry, as I slump into the seat in the back row that I've taken up as mine, between Ryan and Lisa. Neither of them pay attention to me which is probably just as well, on a day like this. On a day like this, I want to just be gone.

quote:

(image source)
Spencer Jacobs, the Ghost

Look: Meek, pained eyes
Origin: A confused death

Hot -1
Cold 1
Volatile -1
Dark 2

Moves:
Unresolved Trauma
Whenever you project the blame and trauma of your death onto your current situation, roll with dark. On a 10 up, give two people the blamed condition. On a 7-9, give up to two people the blamed condition, but for each, choose one:
* You gain the delusional condition,
* You can’t speak during this scene,
* You suffer one harm,
* You start re-enacting the scene of your death.

Forgive and Forget
Whenever you accept that someone isn’t responsible for your pain and suffering, and absolve them of their blamed condition, mark experience.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you both get to ask a question of one another’s characters. This can be spoken by your character, or simply asked player-to-player. The other person must answer honestly and directly.

Darkest Self
You become invisible. No one can see you, feel you, or hear your voice. You can still affect inanimate objects, but this is your only avenue of communication. You escape your Darkest Self when someone acknowledges your presence, and demonstrates how much they want you around.

code:
[Debora_] [_______] [_______] [Ryan___] [Spencer] [Lisa___]

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot: -1 | Cold: 0 | Volatile: 1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 0/5 | Conditions: none | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Homeroom

Speaking of wet, holy cow, Sunny is drenched. And she sounds kinda out of breath, guess she was probably running through the rain. Rookie mistake. Once you're this wet you might as well roll with it. "Sup Sherman. Better than you, from the looks of it." I answer her question and it's only kind of a joke. She really does look kinda miserable, even if she's trying to smile through it. She's got that kinda air about her. Like a puppy that someone just fished out of the water. "Next time you go for a swim you should probably not take all your stuff with you." I joke. nudging her with my elbow before momentarily getting distracted by Anne strolling in. I mumble a "Hey." in response to her before her attention seems to already be drifting to who knows where. I'm not even sure that's rude or if she's just a little day-dreamy sometimes.

"Hey, just kidding." my attention snaps back to Sherman after my eyes hang on the back of Anne's head for a couple of awkward seconds.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Anne
You can see subtle shifts in the buzzing, bee-like aura around Larry, reflecting his thoughts and emotional state. The lying little poo poo's feeling pretty good about himself; you can tell. He didn't lose a second of sleep over what he did to you. But you can see a nervous little thread coming right from his heart, faint to look at, but powerful to touch -- feeling's he's trying very hard to hide. It snakes away from him, past you, toward the very back of the classroom. Sometimes looking into someone's soul like this can be strange, confusing, even terrifying. But with Larry on this day, with these feelings, it's all very innocent and pure. Well, relatively speaking.

You easily follow the thread to its destination -- Riley.

Riley & Sunny
Deborah blinks slowly at your words, expression a little confused. By the time she gives Riley a real answer, Sunny has already sat down and taken up Riley's attention. So, Deborah's voice comes from over Riley's shoulder; much dreamier, and significantly less strident than Riley remembers it, but somehow still with an air of having to explain something that she should already know: "This corner of the room is closer to the sea," she says, simply. She tilts her head, frowning slightly at you. It's hard not to notice that her long, blonde hair -- once almost obsessively styled and taken care of -- is now dull, slightly tangled, and distinctly neglected. "Can't you hear it?" She doesn't even seem to be looking at Sunny.

"That's not the sea," cuts in Joey. Joey is wiry, long-haired, and has a truly tragic tendency to dress in shirts featuring elaborately painted pictures of wolves. He reaches over and gives Sunny's wet face a condescending poke, smirking a little. "All that water's just Sunny. I guess they don't have umbrella's in Canada, huh?" His words are greeted by general snickering, the kids around you barely bothering to muffle the sound with their hands. Evidently, there is still some confusion as to which Vancouver it was Sunny came from. "We get some rain here. You might have noticed."

Ms. Spooler -- who is currently wearing earbuds -- barely glances up.

Sunny gets the "Clueless Canadian" condition.

Spencer
Well, normally neither of them pay you much attention. "Well, you like loving poo poo," Lisa mutters to you after you sit down. She's sitting with one booted foot braced against her desk, chair tipping back precariously. She's sparing you a glance over the top of the battered little John Green paperback she's reading; the cover is the same shade of blue as the plastic tips of her eyebrow piercing. Her face holds a dim, passing interest, like she might forget you exist again if she gets distracted. She greets the titter of laughter at Sunny's expense with little more than a brief eye roll, broadcasting her disdain for this class and everyone in it. "Who died?" There's a level of irony in the question that tells you she doesn't actually expect you to tell her about a death in the family.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
can I be the wizard?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 1/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Clueless Canadian

My eyes flicker towards Anne to give her a quick "hey" of my own before I look back at Riley. Her joke manages another weak smile out of me, it's nice that someone here can find some humor in my situation. "I'll remember that next time I decided to go swimming under a poorly built awning." I would have said more, but Deborah is saying something, and it's weird enough that I end up quiet trying to figure out what the heck she's talking about "Hey!" I jump, trying to swat at Joey's hand as he pokes my face. What the hell!? And now a bunch of the class is laughing at me, I'm so glad that people here can find some humor in my situation. Ugh, poo poo, they're making me look stupid in front of Riley! What should I do?

After a quick moment of indecision, I decide completely ignoring their taunting will make me look like the bigger person here, Riley'll pick up on that. I'm too good to listen to their stupid insults. I turn away from Joey, looking back determinedly at Riley and Deborah, and talk a bit louder. "Aren't we a bit too far from the ocean to hear anything Deborah?" I give Riley a curious look, asking if she has any idea what Deb is on about.

<godfish> I believe in you sunny
<godfish> shut down joey (+1 for true love)
<godfish> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> godfish, 7 = 7
condition swap, giving Joey the condition Ignored
exp for cold

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Sunny

Joey looks at you expectantly, becoming visibly disappointed as you fail to raise to his bait. "Can't even take a joke, huh?" he says, looking around with a slightly hopeful expression, until he notices his audience barely taking note and quickly losing interest. Disgruntled, he simply slumps back down into his chair.

Sunny gets the "Can't Take a Joke" condition.

Deborah pays attention to you for the first time. "Well, of course you can't," she says. "You're not even from here. I didn't understand it at first either -- Pastor Greene had to explain." She has something in her hand -- an old pen -- and she seems to be carefully gouging something into the surface of her desk. It's too early to see what it is.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

I roll my eyes at the exchange between Joey and Sunny, but Deb piping up is much more curious. And a little bit unsettling, I'll admit. I thought she was out of it but this is pretty bad. Partially cause it's my fault but also because I realize she's not just crazy. gently caress, did she somehow tap into the same thing as me? Mentioning Pastor Greene makes me breathe a slight sigh of relief cause I don't think that guy knows what he's talking about. She just got a whiff of the real thing and went bonkers. Wow, that's not freaky or anything. Or maybe she's just weak. Yeah, that makes way more sense. She can't handle it. "Yeah Sherman, don't you know that Pastor Greene's got all the answers?" I inform her sarcastically. "Gotta be on top of all the crazies in town so you can keep them straight. Hey Deb, you sure you're not just jealous of Sherman for getting baptized in the rain?"

SuddenC Time to shut down Deb
SuddenC !roll 2d6
Krysmbot SuddenC, 7 = 7
Exchanging conditions, giving Deb "Jealous"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 1/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Clueless Canadian, Can't Take a Joke

I roll my eyes. Great, more dumb small town bigotry and superstition. "Silly me, thinking it might possibly be about something normal. You should switch into Mr. Baumman's class Deb, he's all about that sort of thing, only people from HAL-mith could possibly understand things." Glad to see I was right about Riley not being like the others, as she immediately starts making fun of it, just like it deserves. I'm grinning pretty broadly by the time she's done. "Oh! I can hear it, I can hear it! The holy water filling my ears is letting me hear the voice of the ocean ooooooh~" I try to roll my eyes up like I'm going in a trance, but it's not as easy as I thought it'd be. I stop after a couple seconds and smirk at Riley, offering her a hand for a high five.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Whew. That was a bit more tiring than usual. Probably from the weather, rain is one thing and this is a bit past that. But this is something I never expected. The busy bee likes the ocean blue, who would have thought? This changes my plans a bit, Riley has such good taste, it just wouldn't do to set her up with someone like Larry, even for a minute. Oh well, I'm sure I can think of something even better.

Oh. Oh. Yes, I think that will do nicely. Some days I almost shock myself with my cleverness. Paper, pen, and a minute of my time and I've got a note written up for the busy little bee. Oh yes, this will work just fine.

note to Larry posted:

I know who you like~ I can help you out, if you want. She likes funny guys, try making a joke about that time she smelled like fish, she always talks about how funny that was after it was over.

A few quick folds and the note is passed off through the rows. This will be fun to watch.

(11:23:59 PM) ShootaBoy: Manipulate Larry
(11:23:59 PM) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6+2
(11:24:00 PM) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 5+2 = 7
Dang. I was hoping for a 10.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Hot: 2 Cold: -1 Volatile: 1 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4 Exp: +1/5 Conditions:

I can't help that I'm late. I have a lot of things to do, okay? A lot of people to take care of, to make better. And I was spending all night thinking of ways to finally get through to Lisa, to give her the sharp push that will finally let her open up and admit she has a problem. So I slept late, woke late, and arrive late for school, trudging into the classroom soaked. Small miracles that Ms. Spooler doesn't seem to notice.

I take a seat just in front of Lisa, and lay my head on the table. I need something, some flash of inspiration to guide my way and break past this wall she's set up...

[08:09am] Nown: Gaze into the Abyss
[08:09am] Nown: !roll 2d6-1
[08:09am] Krysmbot: Nown, 7-1 = 6
Hard Move
Marking Experience, at least

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Name Andrew Davies
Look Birthmark, Stoic Eyes
Origin Blessed

Stats

Hot: 2
Cold: -1
Volatile: 1
Dark: -1
Integrity:

Moves
With Integrity
You judge your own actions harshly, holding yourself to a high moral standard. You have a fifth stat to reflect this, which starts at zero and can climb to 3. Gain a point of Integrity when

you take the moral highground about an issue that matters,
you follow through on something important that you say you'll do.

You can gain up to 1 Integrity per scene. When a move calls for you to roll with integrity, erase 1 Integrity after you roll.

Speak From The Heart
When you have someone else's best interests at heart, add 2 to your rolls to manipulate an NPC.

Blessings
(If you pick this move, read this aloud: "I can bless attempts at greatness and worthy endeavors. Ask for my blessing.")
When people tell you their plan and seek your blessing, tell them whether you approve of what they'll attempt.

If you approve, they carry 1 forward to what they'll attempt, and if they have any Strings on you they erase one.
If you don't approve, they get a String on you.

Darkest Self
This is it. Everything falls apart, and
you can't hold it together anymore. It's
not because everything is too much
to bear – just that you aren't good
enough. So beg their forgivenesses,
everyone you've wronged by being too
weak to help; and show them how
sorry you are, in whatever small ways
you can muster before the final curtain
falls. Don't seek their acceptance.
You don't deserve it. You escape your
Darkest Self when someone reflects to
you a glimmer of your own self worth.

Intimacy Moves
Sex Moves
You have three intimacy moves:
When you lay your head in a virgin's lap,
gain a point of Integrity and choose:

give them 1 forward to
protecting you,
roll to turn them on.

When you kiss a non-virgin, take 1 harm.
When you have sex, lose all your Integrity.

Backstory
Someone is thinking about taking something from you - discuss with them and decide what it is. You each get a String on one another.
Someone's in love with you and has told you about their feelings. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Advances

People Should Never
Willingly Hurt Others
Refuse to Apologize
Run Away from Problems
Do Drugs

code:
[Casey__] [_______] [Anne___] [Joey___] [_______] [Andrew_]
[Deborah] [Riley__] [Sunny_S] [Ryan___] [Spencer] [Lisa___]

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

XP: 1/5 | Conditions: None | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Homeroom

"I..." I know it's a figure of speech, just a bad choice of words, but Lisa's way closer to the truth than I'd like. What do I say to her? I'm about ready to just mumble something and hope she gets distracted when I overhear the phrase "Pastor Greene." Why -- what -- oh, no, oh no no no --

No. None of them really know anything, and the best thing I can do is try to smile through it and act like I'm okay. Maybe that'll work better than just blowing Lisa off, anyway. "Just a bad morning," I say, trying to work up a little smile and look... harmless? Endearing? Sympathetic, maybe? I think "harmless" is probably the best I can do, but it's worth a shot. "Happens to everybody, right?

Turn On Lisa: 2d6-1 7
Marking XP for Hot, also being frankly OOCly amazed that roll kind of succeeded

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Andrew & Spencer
Lisa lowers the book marginally, and Spencer can see her expression soften a notch, although she doesn't actually smile. Seeing Lisa smile would probably be more alarming than anything. "Yeah, I know how that is," she says. Hesitating a moment, suddenly a little awkward, before asking: "You... want to hang out some time? Like... after school?" She spares Andrew a sidelong glance as he sits down in the chair in front of her, but doesn't say hi, looking quickly back to Spencer. "You know, maybe drink, take some illegal drugs and have underage sex." The last part is delivered with enough irony that you're both reasonably certain that it's not a serious part of the offer, and conspicuously only once she's noticed Andrew entering earshot.

Lisa is offering to spend time with Spencer, something she thinks he might want, since he looks lonely all the time but suddenly in a cute way.

Anne
You watch Larry read the note, frowning a little, his aura warring between sudden optimism and intense concern. He glances briefly back at Riley, then away again as if terrified she'll notice, before he scribbles something madly on the piece of paper. A moment or two later, the note returns to you:

Anne's Note posted:

I know who you like~ I can help you out, if you want. She likes funny guys, try making a joke about that time she smelled like fish, she always talks about how funny that was after it was over.

----

Really??? I thought she hated that!

Do you promise she'll like it?

- Larry

Larry will do it, but he needs a little reassurance that you're sincere. He's the trusting sort, though, so you should be able to get around that with some clever wording.

Riley & Sunny
Deborah looks at Riley with mild surprise, then something remarkably like... disappointment. "There's nothing special about rainwater," she says, flatly. "I thought you would know that."

Riley gets the "I Thought You Were Cool" condition.

She only rolls her eyes at Sunny, before going back to gouging at her desk. It's... an eye? Weird.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 17, 2016

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

He takes the bait, just lie I knew he would. Now how do I seal the deal here? Hmm. It shouldn't take much, just one last little push. I flip the note to the other side and prepare to set justice in motion.

Anne's Note posted:

Time has a way of making you see the funny parts of anything. And trust me here, it will work. I promise you that you'll have her undivided attention~ Just remember, fortune favors the bold.

And away the note goes, a little ship on the waves of foolishly placed trust. Hopefully he'll learn a lesson from this. 'Don't break a promise' or maybe 'don't trust someone who you just broke a promise to'. But sadly, he probably won't learn a thing, judging by how quickly and easily he forgot a promise.

Oh well, not my problem~

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot: -1 | Cold: 0 | Volatile: 1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 0/5 | Conditions: I Thought You Were Cool | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Homeroom

Well gently caress me, not only is she not completely pulling stuff out of her rear end, she knows that I know. That's probably not good. I still high-five Sherman cause, hey, she's joining in on doing a bit and you gotta respect that, but it's kinda half-hearted and doesn't feel quite as victorious as it should. "Whatever." I scoff at Deb before turning back to Sunny. "People here are... weird about the ocean." I inform her. It's one thing to mock Deb but it does make me feel like bit of a hypocrite. Plus I'm not sure I want to piss off the briny depth. "What with the fishing having been such a big deal for so long."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 1/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Clueless Canadian, Can't Take a Joke

Deborah is acting really weird. Like maybe she's actually going a bit nuts? Not surprising considering she has to live here, I suppose. "Yeah, no kidding. Bet they'd probably sacrifice people to it if they thought it'd help bring the fish back, huh?" It was a joke, but now I'm wondering if they would. The place feels creepy enough that I wouldn't be that shocked to find out they were already! Suddenly wanting to change the subject, I lean in a little towards her. "So, how's-" oh no Sunny you idiot you already asked that! Shitshit, "-what are you doing tonight?"

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot: -1 | Cold: 0 | Volatile: 1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 0/5 | Conditions: I Thought You Were Cool | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Homeroom

"Dunno. Was thinking about hanging out at Pete's place. He's trying to get a band started but his problem is that he sucks. He's usually got beer though, so I was thinking I'd grace him with my presence and screw around on the guitar for a while." I'm not sure what kinda answer she's expecting, honestly. But she's from Vancouver, so she's probably used to at least having something to do. "Or if we can get a couple people together it's still warm enough to hang at the beach, get a fire going and just chill. There's a cool spot out by the old lighthouse where usually no one bothers us or asks us to turn down the music. Probably one of the better spots on this island, as sad as that is." Man, I feel like there's nothing that crystallizes how lovely this place is than trying to make anything out to be cool to someone from a big city. Welcome to Hellmouth, Sherman.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Normally, I would have made a face at the various options for 'fun' Riley is laying out, Hellmouth is an absolutely dreary place to live, when those are your best options. But! It's Riley suggesting them, and even the idea of suffering the company of Pete to get drunk while listening to her play the guitar sounds good. So instead, I smile enthusiastically at her. "I fire sounds pretty good right now," now I do make a face, but not the kind I would have, and glance down obviously towards my soaked clothes, "if the rain stops anyway that'd be fun." I pull out my cellphone to check the weather forecast - it always takes ages and ages to for it to get the data for Hellmouth. "If not, can I tag along with you to Pete's? I could really use a drink today."

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

"Sure, I guess. If you wanna get drunk that badly!" I chuckle, bit surprised that she actually seems excited to listen to a lovely garage band. Though her pulling out her cellphone to check the weather actually makes me wonder. Could I do something about the rain? The clouds mostly roll in from across the sea and that might be enough. You never know till you try, right? There's stories of rain-dances and poo poo so who's to say it can't work the other way around? Except, I dunno, less goofy hopping around and more rocking the guitar maybe. Hell, worst that'll happen is we'll be stuck at Pete's place and just hang out there instead. "And if the weather clears up we can always head down to the beach." I add with bit a conspiratorial smirk on my face.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 2/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Clueless Canadian, Can't Take a Joke

"Better drunk than drenched, right?" I can't really keep my enthusiasm hidden from my smile though, grinning eagerly at the idea of spending time with Riley, either closeted up with her while she plays music or together at the beach. Maybe today wouldn't be so bad after all! "Sounds great~" I look back down at my phone, and am barely even irritated its taking so long to show the forecast. I need to figure out how to make a move on her tonight! I tap a button to put my phone into splitscreen, and run a google search in the second app.

'How do you ask out a girl if you aren't sure she's gay'

<godfish> going to add a quick gaze in Gazetteer
<Gazetteer> Oh no
<godfish> (its totally gonna fail)
<Gazetteer> Was mostly done this post x_x
<Gazetteer> And Larry's going to talk to you
<godfish> she's doing a google search
<godfish> !r 2d6
<Antivehicular> nooooooooo*inhale*oooooo
<Krysmbot> godfish, 8 = 8
that was supposed to be +2 (dark 1, true love 1)
curing, show me what to do
exp for dark

GodFish fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 19, 2016

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

I belatedly realise that I completely missed Andrew's Gaze Into the Abyss roll

Andrew
Mr. Gerstein. Or, perhaps you should you say, Deputy Gerstein, of the Hellmouth Sheriff's department. You're struck with a sudden, intense image of yourself sitting across a diner table from him, a grave expression crossing his weathered face. "Thank you for letting me know, son." he's saying. "We knew something was wrong, but... well, there was nothing we could do if she wouldn't talk to us. We can get to the bottom of this problem now; we're her parents, and we know what's best for her, after all."

Wow, that was weird. Wait, is that Lisa talking now? To Spencer? About... illegal drugs and underage sex??

Anne
Larry turns around in his seat and grins at you, looking like a five year old who you've just shown a dupe trick in his favourite videogame. He seems to hesitate a moment, before getting up from his seat, and crossing toward the back of the classroom. On the way past, he actually literally flashes you a covert thumbs up, before stopping in front of Riley's desk. He stands around awkwardly for a moment, waiting for a gap in Riley's conversation.

This should be good.

Riley
"The beach, huh?" a voice cuts in. Larry. gently caress. How long has he been standing there? And why is he grinning like an idiot? "Let's hope you don't have a repeat of last time, eh, Eau de Pusson?" His French accent as he delivers the nickname is infuriatingly good. His eyes flick over to Sunny.

Sunny

Yahoo Answers posted:

October 12, 2006

Q: How do I Ask Out a Girl if I'm Not Sure She's Gay?

Help! I just moved to a new school, and there's this really cute girl who keeps talking to me, but I'm not sure if she's like, into-me into-me or if she just want to be friends! (we're both girls). I'm in Florida so I don't want to make a wrong move here in case she gets mad

-----

A: just kiss her in the middle of class. Thatd b totlly hot.

-----

A: my cousin is gay and one time she thought another girl liked her but then it turned out that she didn't so the other girl got really mad and didn't want to talk to her ever again and her boyfriend told everyone at school and my cousin had to move so make sure you don't do that I guess

-----

A: Keep things casual at first. Like, spend some time with her, get to know her, try to feel out if she's really interested in you or not, ask her if she's got a boyfriend or whatever, maybe mention being into girls and seeing how she reacts (if she freaks out on you, then you don't want her in your life anyway, but that might happen). There's no easier answer to this question, you just kind of have to deal with it as part of life.

-----

A: Just be honest! A lot of straight girls are pretty open to trying, until they leave you after a few dates and break your heart and start dating some guy named Chuck who plays guitar in public like an rear end in a top hat goddammit Kimberly

-----

A: Is her hair dyed blue? If her hair's dyed blue, then she's probably gay.

Wait, some guy is talking to Riley, and now to you? Something about Riley and the beach and her being called 'Eau de Pusson'?

"Oh, that's right, you weren't around when that happened, were you?" He looks over at Riley conspiratorily, as if calling her this and offering to explain an extremely embarrassing episode that everyone had mostly forgotten to the new girl she was talking to would be something she'd think was the funniest poo poo ever. "Want to hear about it?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 2/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Clueless Canadian

Yesss, she's got the hair! Okay, can safely ignore that first suggestion, as tempting as it is. Two and four are getting me a bit anxious, but three and four both sound kind of reasonable... I don't really want to have to take it slow though, this sucks! But the take away from these is that she's probably gay -blue hair!- and I should try to fish for information and drop hints, and make sure she's open to the idea of dating girls before I really make a move. Thanks internet!

"Huh, what?" I look up at whatshisname, Larry, I think, a bit puzzled. "when what happened?" Something about Riley? Oh, I gotta know this, maybe it'll help. "Sure, lay it on me!" From the way he's looking, it's some kind of amusing story involving the two of them? Eau de Pusson, that's.... Smell of, something, right? Smell of cat? That can't be right...

Removing Can't take a joke from the gaze curing.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Sunny
Larry continues to smile at you, looking weirdly grateful. Like he was hoping you'd say that. "Well, a while ago," he starts, "before you moved here, a bunch of us were down at the beach. And Riley was talking about how she could like, draw power from the water or something? I didn't really get it, it was all pretty new age, but, you know, it was kind of interesting! So she goes to show everyone, and then, bam! Out of nowhere, she started to stink. Really, really badly. Like... day old dumpster of rotting seafood bad. I'm not really sure what caused that. Maybe something she ate? Anyway, because of that, people starting calling her Eau de Pusson. At first I thought it seemed too mean to do that, but it turns out she thought the whole thing is hilarious." Larry turns to grin at Riley, like he's sure she's super glad that he told you. In a loud enough voice to remind half the class.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"Uh... yeah. Yeah, we could hang out sometime, something like that." Is that the right thing to say? I think I'm getting a little nervous about it, especially since... is Andrew watching? What does he think of this? Does it matter what he thinks? No, of course it does, Andrew matters a lot... but this is an actual offer to spend time with somebody, in a way that probably doesn't involve clubs or anything really bad happening. I can tell she's joking about the drugs and sex, even though I'm not sure either would work, and I'm not really sure I want to try.

... well, maybe I want to try a little bit. I mean, why not? What do I have to lose?

"Um. Where? ... We could go over to my house. My parents are, uh, out of town." That would be all right, wouldn't it? I mean, I try to keep it pretty clean, and there's furniture and stuff... but there's no electricity. Nothing in the fridge. Maybe not my house. "... or somewhere outside?"

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot: -1 | Cold: 0 | Volatile: 1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 1/5 | Conditions: I Thought You Were Cool | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Homeroom

What the flying gently caress Larry!? I'm too stunned by the fact that someone this god drat stupid exists to stop him from blurting out this hilarious story, just kind of staring at him slack-jawed. When I finally shake off my stupor I just raise my hands at Larry in a 'What the gently caress' gesture and the idiot has the misguided idea to grin at me. That's it. Before I know it I'm up, chair clattering tot he ground behind me. "Oh yeah, loving hilarious, wasn't it?" This is a really stupid idea. Overreaction too, honestly, but that thought doesn't last long, washed away by something else. Before I know it my fist punches snaps out and into Larry's shoulder. "The hell's your problem!?" I hiss at him and I can feel my presence slam into him almost as hard as my punch. For a moment it feels like I could knock him over entirely just by staring him down, sweep this little poo poo up like a piece of floatsam. It's exhilarating.

SuddenC Punch time!
SuddenC !roll 2d6+1
Krysmbot SuddenC, 9+1 = 10
SuddenC Hella punch time
Invoking Primal Dominance through Elsewise power, giving the Abyssal Deep a String
Taking a String on Larry, dealing one harm and he has to hold steady to retaliate
And marking XP for rolling Volatile

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 2/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Clueless Canadian

I don't know, that story doesn't sound that funny to me. More like mortifying. I guess a sea breeze must have blown the smell of some dead fish up onto the shore or something? But still, if Riley thinks the story is funny, I don't want to get on her bad side by not seeming to enjoy it. I'm in the middle of opening my mouth to laugh with Larry when Riley jumps up out of her seat and socks him! I just end up staring at the two of them with my mouth open for a moment. Part of my mind is trying to figure out what's going on, while the other part is entirely stuck on how sexy Riley looks when she's angry.

Eventually, I find my voice. "Riley! Stop, you'll get in trouble!" I reach up to grab her other hand, trying to guide her back to her desk. "You can punch him later!"

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Harm: 0/4 Exp: 1/5 Conditions: Drained

Oh this went even better than I planned! Bless Sunny for playing her unexpected part so beautifully, it really made this into something spectacular. I should find some way to thank her later. So much for your crush, busy bee~ Maybe you'll think twice before you make a promise so lightly.

While everyone's attention is on Riley punching and yelling, I slip out of my seat, looking like I'm just getting out of the way of the 'fight'. Really I'm scooping the note off of Larry's desk, neatly allowing me to deny any involvement. All Larry has in his defense is his word, and I don't think Riley will be listening to that any time soon. Or ever. But now justice has been done, and a bargain broken has been avenged. A good start to the day, if I may say so~

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Unfortunately, AdjectiveNoun has decided that he is too busy to keep up with this topic right now and has withdrawn from it. I'll be looking at the possibility of a replacement, but for now I'll just give a post for the remaining four.

Anne
You scoop up the note unobserved by your class, as the chaos around you expands. Your moment of quiet victory is perhaps slightly ruined, however, when you hear a familiar, musical voice ring out:

"Oh, lovely work. I couldn't have done better myself." Tvisq is sitting on the empty desk beside Larry's, beaming at you, unobserved by the rest of your class. He holds the smile a moment longer, before admitting: "Well, no, that's not quite true -- I could have, but you can use some praise now and then."

Ugh. What does this guy even look like, anyway?

Riley
Either your punch completely caught him off guard, or your glare scared him worse than you meant, because with a startled sort of squawk, Larry trips backward, smacking his head sharply on the corner of Anne's desk. poo poo, is he okay?

"Ow! She... she told me you'd think it was funny!" Okay, he's mostly alright. Physically, at least, apart from what's probably going to be a nasty goose egg on his head. Emotionally, though, he's on the floor, staring up at you... actually starting to cry? "I wanted you to like me!" With that, he's staggering to his feet, and running out of the room amid an oddly stunned silence.

"Okay, okay, what the hell was that?" Ms. Spooler has stood up behind her desk so fast that her earbuds have been ripped out of her ears. She doesn't seem to notice that she's just used a mild swear word in front of her shocked classroom. She stares at the door that Larry has already retreated through with some annoyance, then looks back to you. "You're coming with me, to the principal's office. Now." She strides forward from behind her desk, grabbing the arm that Sunny is not currently clinging to. "Come on."

Spencer
"Sure, outside would be good, if the weather gets any better. We could also go to my place -- it's not too far from school, and I've got my dad's car today. It's a piece of poo poo, but it runs." Lisa continues to look slightly pleased... until she actually drops her book in shock at the sight of Larry being knocked down. "Holy gently caress!"

Holy gently caress is right. You've never seen Larry this upset before -- he's your friend, right? Are you going to do anything?

Sunny
Oh no! Riley's being taken away! What do you do?

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 21, 2016

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot: -1 | Cold: 0 | Volatile: 1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 1/5 | Conditions: I Thought You Were Cool | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Homeroom

What kinda kindergarten bullshit is this? He likes me so he acts like a total dick? I felt a little bad for him banging his head but gently caress that. This is his idea of hitting on me? What is up today with everybody being loving weird? I'm pulled out of my annoyed contemplation by Ms. Spooler. "Too late, looks like." I tell Sherman with an annoyed scrunched up face but also kinda trying to play it off. Not the first time I'm getting dragged to the principle for something stupid. "I'm going, I'm going! Eesh." I put up some resistance to Ms. Spooler just on principle (hah!) and only slowly let myself get dragged. "Hey, can you take care of my crap if I'm not back before the bell, Sunny? Thanks. Talk to you later!" At this point I'm halfway to the door and Ms. Spooler is clearly getting pissy at me dragging my feet so I take a couple hurried steps so she can stop pulling on my arm. "Alright, alright." I tell her, lifting my arms slightly as if I'm being arrested. So ridiculous.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I look up, clearly startled and a little frightened. "What? Wait, what...? Is he okay? I..."

I swallow hard. Suddenly, things got scary, and I hate that. It always makes me sort of queasy to see someone upset and crying, let alone a fight. Sometimes, at the hospitals, there'd be really bad nights and someone's dad would just start screaming and punching, and I always felt so helpless to do anything about it, because I was sick and stuck in bed, and what could I do against someone's angry dad, anyway?

"... I'll be right back, okay?" I stand up, before my courage fails me, and head towards the door to see if Larry's around and okay. Well, around. Pretty sure he's not okay.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

What's he talking about, who thinks you'd get someone to like you by reminding them of embarrassing stuff that happened? I'm distracted enough by that that it takes me a moment to notice Ms. Spooler is pulling Riley off to the principal's office. Oh no! I should come along too, maybe I can talk the principal out of getting me in trouble - but what if he's one of those outsider bigots, would I just hurt her case? What should I do? And then Riley answers my question, she wants me to watch her stuff. "You got it Riley!" I call after her, giving her a thumbs up in confirmation. "And you can count on me if you need a witness for the principal!"

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Harm: 0/4 Exp: 2/5 Conditions: Drained

Oh dear, how do I describe this to such a... fettered mind? Hmm. I suppose a somewhat accurate description would have me telling you to imagine a... a swirling pillar of green-blue, about as tall as your elbow to the end of your fist. Now encase that pillar in a maelstrom of twigs, sticks, leaves, mud, dirt, rocks, and anything else you'd find on the forest floor. Picture that maelstrom forming into faces, expressions, and limbs as needed for a conversation. It's not an entirely accurate description, but since you can't see and understand the real thing, it will have to do. And please, try not to interrupt like that dear, it breaks the flow, don't you know. Now where was I? Ah, yes.

Such wonderful execution, shame that Riley reacted how she did though. Words could have cut him down just as well. She's a clever girl, I'm sure she'll find a way to escape a punishment. I can't dwell on her too much anyway, sine I have a more pressing thing to deal with now. Everyone is still moving around chaotically, all attention focused on either Larry or gossiping, so I neatly seat myself on the table next to Tvisq, looking to all the world like another person watching the drama unfold.

"Oh please, dear friend, no need to brag to cover up your deficiencies and insecurities. We both know you're not capable of such degrees of subtlety, no need to be ashamed of it."

(2:00:15 PM) ShootaBoy: Shut Down Tvisq
(2:00:15 PM) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6-1
(2:00:16 PM) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 7-1 = 6
Dammit. Marking Xp for Cold.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Anne
The maelstrom's smile seems to stretch just a hair wider. "Subtle indeed?" he asks, his laugh bubbling all around you. "I see, I see! Perhaps next time, you'll even pull off your trick unobserved!" With that oddly ominous note, Tvisq's seems to stretch out slightly, wind closer in on himself... and vanish.

It takes only a second for you to realise what he was referring to -- with Tvisq gone, you now have an unobstructed view of the desk across the room from Larry's -- and the person sitting there, looking at you with an inscrutable expression. Stan's eyes flick from the place that Tvisq had been sitting, then, pointedly, to the note still clutched in your hand. At this point, he looks away, as if he saw nothing at all. He very clearly did, though.

Stan takes a string on Anne.

Riley
"I mean, really, Riley? You couldn't have hit a kid the principal hates?" Ms. Spooler mutters, still leading you along toward the office. "You all know how she is about those after school club types -- you'll get in crap for this, sure, but who's fault do you think it's going to be for not being able to control my classroom?" It is almost admirable how few fucks Ms. Spooler has gotten away with giving about her job. "You can't go through life punching people just because they're punchable," she adds, looking more exasperated than annoyed now. "Eventually, they start pressing charges over it."

Spencer
You find Larry nearby, in a boy's washroom, staring at himself in a mirror. He's not crying anymore, but he is now mumbling over and over again about being a gullible idiot. He doesn't seem to have noticed you come in yet.

Sunny
Well, that happened. With the teacher out of the room, the general conversation gets a lot louder, and everyone's too busy talking about Riley and Larry to talk about you. And here you are, all alone with Riley's stuff. Do you snoop at all?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Me? Snoop?? I'd never! Not through Riley's... stuff.....

No, I'm definitely not snooping, I'm... I'm.... Tidying it up, and keeping my eye on it, like she asked! Yes. I pull her backpack over to my desk, and fold up her notebook on her desk, making it all look neat. And then maybe I just happened to look inside of her bag, just to, you know, see what was there to make sure nothing vanished while she was in the office. I definitely wasn't looking for anything that'd show what sorts of things she was interested in or what her home life was like.

<godfish> gonna do it
<godfish> lets gaze into the abyss of Riley's backpack
<godfish> what secrets shall we find
<Yawniphonerir> haha "earth to beatrice"
<godfish> (entrenched, true love)
<godfish> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> godfish, 7+3 = 10
backpack backpack, on the floor, what secrets lie hidden within your depths?
What's Riley into, what's her home life like? How can I appeal to her?
Curing visions, lucid and detailed

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Harm: 0/4 Exp: 2/5 Conditions: Drained

Hmm, that's not ideal. I could haed over and have a chat with Stan, but something tells me he wouldn't feel very inclined to talk to me right now. I'll just have to remember to have one later, he might act like he wants nothing to do with me, but I know. I know he can't get rid of his feelings for me that easily. So I'm sure we can work something out later. For now I'll just have to find something else to do. Sunny seems to be the only really interesting person left, since Riley has been taken away, so I might as well get to know her a little bit better. She is new here after all, she could probably use another friend.

I make my way back to my seat now that the action has died down to find Sunny nosing around in Riley's things. I vaguely recall Riley telling her to watch her things for her, so good job Riley, picking someone so dedicated. I watch her for a moment before speaking.

"Everything accounted for?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

XP: 2/5 | Conditions: None | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Homeroom

I stand awkwardly just inside the doorway, trying to think of what to say to Larry. The fact that he's not crying is good, at least, but... if he were crying, it'd be easier to comfort than when he's feeling however he's feeling. I realize now that I wasn't really even paying attention to what happens -- he said something dumb to Riley and got hit? Is that what happened? God, I'm so bad at this. Larry and I are barely even real friends. But I can't leave him alone, can I? I'm trying to do this right, now that I have a chance to.

Still silent, I find my gaze gravitating to the mirror, reflecting Larry and me in the harsh light of the school bathroom. I look bad, but I look alive. Larry... he looks even more alive, though, like something in him is ablaze from the danger and stress. I just watch our reflections for a while, trying to see something in Larry -- or in me? -- that I can use to help him, to comfort him, to do something.

Gaze into the Abyss to figure out how to help Larry: 2d6+2 10
Lucid and detailed and +1 forward, please! Marking XP for Dark.

• Locked thread