Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot: -1 | Cold: 0 | Volatile: 1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 0/5 | Conditions: none | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Homeroom

Some days you just feel like you get never really dry all the way. It's one thing to just be soaked but this damp, clammy bullshit is something else. And of course it finds it's way into the classroom. Why should this place be any better than anywhere else in town, right? Blech. And of course, when it rains... Deborah's back. gently caress. I mean... probably good actually, now that I think about it. I just don't wanna deal with that. But of course she's set up in the back, which leaves me with the alternative of sitting near Lisa and Ryan. Pass and super-pass. Fine. Guess I can just plop down next to her, see if she's still loopy or if she wants to start any poo poo and if she doesn't even better, right?

So I sit down next to her and give her a token glance of acknowledgement. "Sup Deb." Yeah, just act as if nothing happened, just a bit of disdain in my voice. "What's the matter? Did you get demoted to slum it in the back in your absence?" my mouth adds before I can think better of it. Whatever. Not like I feel bad for her anyway and I might as well make sure she knows it, right?

quote:

Name: Riley Keene
Skin: The Infernal
Look: quiet, sunken eyes
Origin: Chosen

Stats
Hot -1, Cold 0, Volatile 1, Dark 1

Moves

Soul Debt
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.
  • The Power Flows Through You - You can give the dark power a String in order to add 2 to your next roll (choose before rolling).
  • Elsewise Power - You can give the dark power a String to use a move you don’t have, just this once. This move can come from any playbook.

Can’t Save Myself
When somebody saves you from forces too powerful for you to reckon with, they mark experience, and you gain a String on them.

Dark Power
The Abyssal Deep

Sex Move
When you have sex, the dark power loses a String on you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Darkest Self
You can’t get what you need, anymore. The world has left you cold and alone, shivering in the wake of your own addictions. The dark power will make some open-ended demands of you, and it’ll promise you some lucrative (and perhaps volatile) things in return. Every demand you fulfill brings you a little closer to feeling whole again, to rekindling the fire in your heart. Whenever you fulfill those demands, remove a String it holds on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the dark power has no more Strings on you, or when you agree to an even worse bargain with an even more dangerous dark power.

Backstory
You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

code:
[Laury__] [_______] [_______] [_______] [Stan___] [Dakota_]
[Casey__] [_______] [_______] [Joey___] [_______] [_______]
[Debora_] [Riley__] [_______] [Ryan___] [_______] [Lisa___]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot: -1 | Cold: 0 | Volatile: 1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 0/5 | Conditions: none | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Homeroom

Speaking of wet, holy cow, Sunny is drenched. And she sounds kinda out of breath, guess she was probably running through the rain. Rookie mistake. Once you're this wet you might as well roll with it. "Sup Sherman. Better than you, from the looks of it." I answer her question and it's only kind of a joke. She really does look kinda miserable, even if she's trying to smile through it. She's got that kinda air about her. Like a puppy that someone just fished out of the water. "Next time you go for a swim you should probably not take all your stuff with you." I joke. nudging her with my elbow before momentarily getting distracted by Anne strolling in. I mumble a "Hey." in response to her before her attention seems to already be drifting to who knows where. I'm not even sure that's rude or if she's just a little day-dreamy sometimes.

"Hey, just kidding." my attention snaps back to Sherman after my eyes hang on the back of Anne's head for a couple of awkward seconds.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

I roll my eyes at the exchange between Joey and Sunny, but Deb piping up is much more curious. And a little bit unsettling, I'll admit. I thought she was out of it but this is pretty bad. Partially cause it's my fault but also because I realize she's not just crazy. gently caress, did she somehow tap into the same thing as me? Mentioning Pastor Greene makes me breathe a slight sigh of relief cause I don't think that guy knows what he's talking about. She just got a whiff of the real thing and went bonkers. Wow, that's not freaky or anything. Or maybe she's just weak. Yeah, that makes way more sense. She can't handle it. "Yeah Sherman, don't you know that Pastor Greene's got all the answers?" I inform her sarcastically. "Gotta be on top of all the crazies in town so you can keep them straight. Hey Deb, you sure you're not just jealous of Sherman for getting baptized in the rain?"

SuddenC Time to shut down Deb
SuddenC !roll 2d6
Krysmbot SuddenC, 7 = 7
Exchanging conditions, giving Deb "Jealous"

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot: -1 | Cold: 0 | Volatile: 1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 0/5 | Conditions: I Thought You Were Cool | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Homeroom

Well gently caress me, not only is she not completely pulling stuff out of her rear end, she knows that I know. That's probably not good. I still high-five Sherman cause, hey, she's joining in on doing a bit and you gotta respect that, but it's kinda half-hearted and doesn't feel quite as victorious as it should. "Whatever." I scoff at Deb before turning back to Sunny. "People here are... weird about the ocean." I inform her. It's one thing to mock Deb but it does make me feel like bit of a hypocrite. Plus I'm not sure I want to piss off the briny depth. "What with the fishing having been such a big deal for so long."

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot: -1 | Cold: 0 | Volatile: 1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 0/5 | Conditions: I Thought You Were Cool | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Homeroom

"Dunno. Was thinking about hanging out at Pete's place. He's trying to get a band started but his problem is that he sucks. He's usually got beer though, so I was thinking I'd grace him with my presence and screw around on the guitar for a while." I'm not sure what kinda answer she's expecting, honestly. But she's from Vancouver, so she's probably used to at least having something to do. "Or if we can get a couple people together it's still warm enough to hang at the beach, get a fire going and just chill. There's a cool spot out by the old lighthouse where usually no one bothers us or asks us to turn down the music. Probably one of the better spots on this island, as sad as that is." Man, I feel like there's nothing that crystallizes how lovely this place is than trying to make anything out to be cool to someone from a big city. Welcome to Hellmouth, Sherman.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

"Sure, I guess. If you wanna get drunk that badly!" I chuckle, bit surprised that she actually seems excited to listen to a lovely garage band. Though her pulling out her cellphone to check the weather actually makes me wonder. Could I do something about the rain? The clouds mostly roll in from across the sea and that might be enough. You never know till you try, right? There's stories of rain-dances and poo poo so who's to say it can't work the other way around? Except, I dunno, less goofy hopping around and more rocking the guitar maybe. Hell, worst that'll happen is we'll be stuck at Pete's place and just hang out there instead. "And if the weather clears up we can always head down to the beach." I add with bit a conspiratorial smirk on my face.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot: -1 | Cold: 0 | Volatile: 1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 1/5 | Conditions: I Thought You Were Cool | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Homeroom

What the flying gently caress Larry!? I'm too stunned by the fact that someone this god drat stupid exists to stop him from blurting out this hilarious story, just kind of staring at him slack-jawed. When I finally shake off my stupor I just raise my hands at Larry in a 'What the gently caress' gesture and the idiot has the misguided idea to grin at me. That's it. Before I know it I'm up, chair clattering tot he ground behind me. "Oh yeah, loving hilarious, wasn't it?" This is a really stupid idea. Overreaction too, honestly, but that thought doesn't last long, washed away by something else. Before I know it my fist punches snaps out and into Larry's shoulder. "The hell's your problem!?" I hiss at him and I can feel my presence slam into him almost as hard as my punch. For a moment it feels like I could knock him over entirely just by staring him down, sweep this little poo poo up like a piece of floatsam. It's exhilarating.

SuddenC Punch time!
SuddenC !roll 2d6+1
Krysmbot SuddenC, 9+1 = 10
SuddenC Hella punch time
Invoking Primal Dominance through Elsewise power, giving the Abyssal Deep a String
Taking a String on Larry, dealing one harm and he has to hold steady to retaliate
And marking XP for rolling Volatile

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot: -1 | Cold: 0 | Volatile: 1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 1/5 | Conditions: I Thought You Were Cool | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Homeroom

What kinda kindergarten bullshit is this? He likes me so he acts like a total dick? I felt a little bad for him banging his head but gently caress that. This is his idea of hitting on me? What is up today with everybody being loving weird? I'm pulled out of my annoyed contemplation by Ms. Spooler. "Too late, looks like." I tell Sherman with an annoyed scrunched up face but also kinda trying to play it off. Not the first time I'm getting dragged to the principle for something stupid. "I'm going, I'm going! Eesh." I put up some resistance to Ms. Spooler just on principle (hah!) and only slowly let myself get dragged. "Hey, can you take care of my crap if I'm not back before the bell, Sunny? Thanks. Talk to you later!" At this point I'm halfway to the door and Ms. Spooler is clearly getting pissy at me dragging my feet so I take a couple hurried steps so she can stop pulling on my arm. "Alright, alright." I tell her, lifting my arms slightly as if I'm being arrested. So ridiculous.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot: -1 | Cold: 0 | Volatile: 1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 1/5 | Conditions: I Thought You Were Cool | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Hallways

"Yeah, wouldn't it have been so much better if I'd socked someone who can't afford a lawyer?" I snark back at Ms. Spooler, what's she gonna do, double-drag me to the principle? And she clearly gives zero fucks so whatever. "Ooh, maybe we could just put up a punch jar. You pay a hundred bucks and you just punch whoever you like! Maybe then we could get the roof fixed, eh?" I give her a thumbs up along with the fakest grin I got.

Meanwhile in Riley's stuff, Sunny would find the usual clutter and schoolbag sediment. Among it her lovely iPod, filled with mostly punk and rock music but a small chunk of classic rock she clearly must have ripped from her Dad's collection. There's also a detention slip or two crumpled up and stomped into submission at the bottom of the bag, clearly not signed by anybody. Then there's a lighter, but Sunny already knew Riley smokes. She's got a flyer stuffed in there for a local punk girl band playing in Carlspoint this weekend as well among a bunch of half or completely unfinished homework.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot: -1 | Cold: 0 | Volatile: 1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 2/5 | Conditions: I Thought You Were Cool | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Hallways

I'd be lieing if I said I'm looking forward to this. Principal Bailey is one of those entrenched Hellmouth - sorry, Halmuth - people. The kind who think this place is worth poo poo just because they're one of the ones who are well off. Dunno if that's cause of her job here, but I seriously doubt it. Either way she's a bitch, doesn't really matter why, and she thinks this place is worth anything. Come to think of it, that's probably why Spooler is being so annoying about this whole thing. But yeah, not the first time I'm here, after a while it kinda loses it's appeal. If she didn't hate me before she sure does now, just because I don't keep my head down and learn, as if that had ever done anybody any good in this place. At first she was trying to be all mother-figure-y. Congrats, you read my file, fantastic. I mean, I'm not an idiot, I tried to milk that for a while, poor Riley, no motherly guidance, must be so hard. But that doesn't fly forever so previously on the Riley gets dragged to the Principal Show she's gone out of her way to yell at me for 20 minutes. Maybe she was pissed that she got duped into being nice for a while but like most people, she's actually an rear end, big surprise there. I kinda don't wanna do this though.

"Hey, Miss Spooler, you know this is bullcrap. Just lemme off the hook this once? He had it coming and it's really not my fault he slipped and banged his head. Hell I'll even apologize to the douche-canoe if that's what it takes for him to not complain. I mean I really don't wanna get you in trouble for my stuff, you know? You're the chillest teacher in this dump and Bailey doesn't need to know about this, for both our sakes, yeah?"

SuddenC Manipulate Miss Spooler
SuddenC !r 2d6-1
Krysmbot SuddenC, 7-1 = 6
Whelp. Marking XP at least.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot: -1 | Cold: 0 | Volatile: 1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 2/5 | Conditions: I Thought You Were Cool | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Hallways --> Classroom

"Sure thing, Misses S!" I grin and give her two thumbs up. Not looking forward to making nice with Larry but that's gonna suck less than getting yelled at by Bailey and being stuck in detention. So fine, I'll apologize or whatever and then everyone can move on with their lives. Still saying it was his own drat fault though for being a god drat idiot. Maybe I should make sure I don't look too smug walking back into class if I want Larry to buy whatever half-assed apology I come up with though, as much as I wanna flaunt the fact that I didn't get in trouble. I'm still mulling over that whole thing when I see Sunny and Anne come out of the bathroom and heading down the hallway back towards the classroom. Looks like she took the opportunity to dry herself off some and she even brought my backpack to keep an eye on it. Coolbeans. And eesh, did she seriously just walk into a trash-can? Clumsy-rear end girl. I'd say something but Spooler is still hovering behind me and I probably shouldn't push it, so I just follow them to the class-room.

Before going back in I make sure I look all crestfallen for Larry's benefit as I make my way back over to my desk. "Well, that was a tremendous waste of everyone's time. Hope you made the most of me taking Spooler out for a walk, kiddos." I joke to the people in immediate earshot, once Ms. Spooler is back at the front of the class.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot: -1 | Cold: 0 | Volatile: 1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 2/5 | Conditions: I Thought You Were Cool | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Classroom

Did something happen while I was out? Everyone is being exceptionally friendly all of a sudden. Well, par for the course for Sherman, maybe and I can't say that I mind her hand on mine. Damnit Riley, that's the exact poo poo that ended up with the Casey situation being what it is. She's just being overly concerned cause she's a precious little puppy who thinks going to the principle is a big deal. I pat Sunny's hand. "No worries, I got it all sorted out with Spooler. Just gotta... ugh..." I had a shiver for emphasis "Apologize to Larry and it's all good. No big deal."

"And, I mean, yeah she was gonna tag along to Pete's and listen to us practice. This is probably the most interest we've ever had as far as people wanting to listen to us goes." I laugh, although it's sadly true. "You can come along if you wanna? We could hang out afterwards too once you're fed up listening to us make noise." Okay this is getting spooky. I didn't even do anything and I swear it feels like these two are crawling all over me. Am I flexing my powers without even noticing? If so then I really hope those two don't end up all loopy like Deb did. But in the meantime, if Anne wants to get drunk and huddle under a blanket then I'm sure as hell not gonna say no to that.

Promising Anne to hang out with her.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot: -1 | Cold: 0 | Volatile: 1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 2/5 | Conditions: I Thought You Were Cool | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Parking Lot

Larry seems to have disappeared. And by that I mean he didn't come back to homeroom. I totally did keep my eyes open and even asked around some but for some reason everyone seems to have gotten it into their head that I'm just looking for him to finish the job, make sure he doesn't squeal. I mean, not that that doesn't sound more appealing than actually apologizing in some ways but come on people, I just wanna talk to him. But nope, apparently now I'm the crazy nutjob who sucker-punched a kid in the middle of class. Damnit, Larry was being a complete rear end, how am I the bad guy here somehow? So yeah, of course I don't find Larry cause no one wants to tell me what classes he's having today and by the end of the school day I really don't feel like chasing him down anymore. Admittedly, my heart wasn't exactly in this in the first place. I'll just find him tomorrow or whatever, sort this out later.

Besides, I got plans, so I head to the parking lot to meet up with Sunny and Anne. I was gonna swing by home real quick to pick up my guitar and meet them at Pete's but of course Sherman doesn't know where Pete lives and Anne wasn't a hundred percent on that either, so now the two of them get to see the shithole I live in. Hurray. That's not embarrassing or anything. Whatever. I pick a random car to lean against and light up a smoke. Does Sherman have a car? I forgot to ask her, but that'd be convenient.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot: -1 | Cold: 0 | Volatile: 1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 2/5 | Conditions: I Thought You Were Cool | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Parking Lot

I didn't notice Sunny walking up so I jump a little at the sudden flash of light till I realize it's just her camera going off. Doesn't make me feel any less stupid though. "Jesus, Sherman, watch where you point that thing." I joke to cover for jumping at that. "And I didn't know you were in the business of luring poor schmucks into a creepy old studio under the pretense of taking glamour shots and making it big. You got an old warehouse or just a creepy basement for that?" I smirk and lightly punch her in the shoulder once she's close enough. "Or did you just adjust your standards of excellence to Hellmouth already? Cause if so I got some broken beer bottles that the water polished into shiny beads to sell you."

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Eesh, calm down, Sherman. What is she even... oh god, I get it now. She heard about Casey, didn't she? And she suddenly realized how she's coming across snapping pictures of me. She's probably worried I'm gonna take it the wrong way and start making out with her or something. Not that that sounds like such a horrible idea. She's adorable in that kind of preciously innocent kinda way and I bet kissing her would be amaz -- Anne's arrival thankfully snaps me out of my wandering thoughts before I spend too much time adoringly looking at Sherman babbling like a complete idiot. Unlike Sunny, Anne always seems fully aware of what she's saying and how it could be interpreted. I think she just enjoys peoples' reactions to being so unashamed. It's what this place needs, really. Some shaking up and keeping people on their toes.

"S'cool." I say and flick my mostly-smoked cigarette into a nearby puddle. It's impossible to have a proper smoke in this weather anyway. Yet another reason this place sucks. "Any of you ladies happen to have a car? My place isn't far but this drizzle is starting to soak into my brain."

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

I'm about to snap at Lisa, something along the lines of 'There's still time' or something that's probably just going to proof her right in her assumptions when Sunny cuts me off. Probably for the better, even if it's always kinda lame to try and justify yourself, but hey, she's sticking up for me so that's nice. And it kept me from digging myself a deeper hole, although I can't stop myself from flipping Lisa off. Too bad I already got rid of my cigarette or I could have flicked it at her pretentious vaping self. Instead I just turn to Sherman with an approving grin. "Look at that, the puppy has teeth." I wrap one arm around her shoulder and pull her in for a side-hug that also maneuvers me under the umbrella and gives me an excuse to stick close to Sunny.

10:34 SuddenC Krysm, don't fail me now
10:34 SuddenC Turn on Sunny
10:34 SuddenC !roll 2d6-1
10:34 Krysmbot SuddenC, 5-1 = 4
Whelp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot: -1 | Cold: 0 | Volatile: 1 | Dark: 1 --- Experience: 3/5 | Conditions: I Thought You Were Cool | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Parking Lot --> Hangout

I can't help but laugh at that. "Oh yeah, totally. Just lining up around the block. Anne, we'd be happy to have any fans." Okay so she probably knew that, but my default reaction is to be a smartass, especially when I'm getting flustered. And the only reason to even bring that up is to get a rise out of me, right? Or is she actually flirting? Whether she intended to or not, the thought is certainly... appealing, to put it lightly. I can easily picture myself heading backstage after a big show, still riding that high of playing for a huge crowd and collapsing on a couch with Anne, lips touching, hands roaming... I snap back to reality with what has to be a noticeable blush. I'm not sure which part of that daydream is more unlikely, but that doesn't mean it's impossible, right? I'm terrible at being subtle but I'm not making the same mistake twice and just bluntly charge forward on assumptions or wishful thinking. "But hey, I somehow roped you two into listening, so that's a start." I add with a smirk.

• Locked thread