Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
XP: 0/5 | Conditions: None | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Homeroom

No, I'm not really okay.

A letter came to the house yesterday -- I didn't even know they were still delivering mail, but there it was. It was from my sister, Emily, and addressed to my parents. She said she was sorry, was this still the right address, and how were we doing? How was I doing? It was dated a week and a half ago, so... she should have known what happened. Did... did my parents not even tell her? That I died, that they moved?

I don't know how to deal with that. It's beating itself against the back of my head, loud and angry, as I slump into the seat in the back row that I've taken up as mine, between Ryan and Lisa. Neither of them pay attention to me which is probably just as well, on a day like this. On a day like this, I want to just be gone.

quote:

(image source)
Spencer Jacobs, the Ghost

Look: Meek, pained eyes
Origin: A confused death

Hot -1
Cold 1
Volatile -1
Dark 2

Moves:
Unresolved Trauma
Whenever you project the blame and trauma of your death onto your current situation, roll with dark. On a 10 up, give two people the blamed condition. On a 7-9, give up to two people the blamed condition, but for each, choose one:
* You gain the delusional condition,
* You can’t speak during this scene,
* You suffer one harm,
* You start re-enacting the scene of your death.

Forgive and Forget
Whenever you accept that someone isn’t responsible for your pain and suffering, and absolve them of their blamed condition, mark experience.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you both get to ask a question of one another’s characters. This can be spoken by your character, or simply asked player-to-player. The other person must answer honestly and directly.

Darkest Self
You become invisible. No one can see you, feel you, or hear your voice. You can still affect inanimate objects, but this is your only avenue of communication. You escape your Darkest Self when someone acknowledges your presence, and demonstrates how much they want you around.

code:
[Laury__] [_______] [_______] [_______] [Stan___] [Dakota_]
[Casey__] [_______] [_______] [Joey___] [_______] [_______]
[Debora_] [_______] [_______] [Ryan___] [Spencer] [Lisa___]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

XP: 1/5 | Conditions: None | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Homeroom

"I..." I know it's a figure of speech, just a bad choice of words, but Lisa's way closer to the truth than I'd like. What do I say to her? I'm about ready to just mumble something and hope she gets distracted when I overhear the phrase "Pastor Greene." Why -- what -- oh, no, oh no no no --

No. None of them really know anything, and the best thing I can do is try to smile through it and act like I'm okay. Maybe that'll work better than just blowing Lisa off, anyway. "Just a bad morning," I say, trying to work up a little smile and look... harmless? Endearing? Sympathetic, maybe? I think "harmless" is probably the best I can do, but it's worth a shot. "Happens to everybody, right?

Turn On Lisa: 2d6-1 7
Marking XP for Hot, also being frankly OOCly amazed that roll kind of succeeded

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"Uh... yeah. Yeah, we could hang out sometime, something like that." Is that the right thing to say? I think I'm getting a little nervous about it, especially since... is Andrew watching? What does he think of this? Does it matter what he thinks? No, of course it does, Andrew matters a lot... but this is an actual offer to spend time with somebody, in a way that probably doesn't involve clubs or anything really bad happening. I can tell she's joking about the drugs and sex, even though I'm not sure either would work, and I'm not really sure I want to try.

... well, maybe I want to try a little bit. I mean, why not? What do I have to lose?

"Um. Where? ... We could go over to my house. My parents are, uh, out of town." That would be all right, wouldn't it? I mean, I try to keep it pretty clean, and there's furniture and stuff... but there's no electricity. Nothing in the fridge. Maybe not my house. "... or somewhere outside?"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I look up, clearly startled and a little frightened. "What? Wait, what...? Is he okay? I..."

I swallow hard. Suddenly, things got scary, and I hate that. It always makes me sort of queasy to see someone upset and crying, let alone a fight. Sometimes, at the hospitals, there'd be really bad nights and someone's dad would just start screaming and punching, and I always felt so helpless to do anything about it, because I was sick and stuck in bed, and what could I do against someone's angry dad, anyway?

"... I'll be right back, okay?" I stand up, before my courage fails me, and head towards the door to see if Larry's around and okay. Well, around. Pretty sure he's not okay.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

XP: 2/5 | Conditions: None | Harm: 0/4 | Location: Homeroom

I stand awkwardly just inside the doorway, trying to think of what to say to Larry. The fact that he's not crying is good, at least, but... if he were crying, it'd be easier to comfort than when he's feeling however he's feeling. I realize now that I wasn't really even paying attention to what happens -- he said something dumb to Riley and got hit? Is that what happened? God, I'm so bad at this. Larry and I are barely even real friends. But I can't leave him alone, can I? I'm trying to do this right, now that I have a chance to.

Still silent, I find my gaze gravitating to the mirror, reflecting Larry and me in the harsh light of the school bathroom. I look bad, but I look alive. Larry... he looks even more alive, though, like something in him is ablaze from the danger and stress. I just watch our reflections for a while, trying to see something in Larry -- or in me? -- that I can use to help him, to comfort him, to do something.

Gaze into the Abyss to figure out how to help Larry: 2d6+2 10
Lucid and detailed and +1 forward, please! Marking XP for Dark.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

XP: 2/5 | Conditions: None | Harm: 0/4

"... Larry?" I figure I should say something before I get any closer -- that'll startle him less. I think. "Um. Are you doing okay?" Dumb question, but it's polite to ask that, right? And it gives me a moment to psych myself up to keep talking.

"... I dunno what happened back there," I say, stepping closer. It's true, mostly. The mirror told me the story, or the parts that matter, but I still probably don't know it all, besides that Anne... Anne said something to Larry that made him do whatever Riley got angry at, and maybe she meant it. I don't know what to make of that. I thought I knew Anne -- well, kinda knew, as much as I know anybody, but -- she didn't seem like someone who would hide anything, would lie to people, let alone lie just to get someone hurt. Why would she want to do something like that? Just... just hurt someone for no reason, someone who didn't mean any harm to anybody. "But, uh... it wasn't your fault. You didn't deserve to get hit, whatever you said, and I know... you're not the kind of guy who'd hurt anyone." I'm pretty sure I know that about Larry, anyway. I clearly don't know that about Anne anymore.

I hesitate, for just a moment, and then I reach out to place a hand on Larry's shoulder and squeeze gently. It seems like the right thing to do, I guess? I want to reinforce that I'm here now, that it's okay. That he's... safe with me? Okay with me? ... I don't know why. I just know I want him to register me, notice me trying to help.

Turn On Larry (+1 from successful Gaze): 2d6 8

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Larry pulls away, but I don't. I didn't expect that, but it was... absolutely amazing. I never thought anybody would kiss me, and even if it's Larry, I... don't actually mind. I never thought about him that way, but now? Now, yes, this is good.

"... I'm not gonna freak out," I say, with a little smile. "That was..." Oh, geez, what do I even say to somebody at a time like this? "... good. Really good." I take a step closer, unsure if I should touch him again or just... let him touch me. If he wants to.

Does he want to?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Larry and I got... a little farther, not much farther. I don't remember which base is which, or I'd say it that way, because just saying out loud what we did feels kinda... not okay? But... it went a farther, and maybe it would have gone on, if we didn't have to go to class. Well, Larry had to go to class, and he thought I did, too. I probably could have stayed, if I wanted to.

Right now I'm feeling happy and excited, but nervous and strangely light, like something's bubbling up inside me that I can't explain. I didn't know I could still feel anything like this, or that I ever could. I always thought... if you're dead, that's it, right? You don't feel anything. Even being a ghost now, well, nothing's made me feel anything like this. And now here's Lisa, talking about a party and a band, and really, I probably shouldn't? But there's nobody to tell me no, and Larry's busy anyway, and why not?

The band sounded good, and I told her as much, so now I'm waiting outside near the parking lot for her car. I'm trying not to fidget. It's hard, but at the same time it's nice to feel like my body wants to be doing something, even something that doesn't make sense. This isn't a feeling I'm used to, but it's such a good feeling, I want it to last a little while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

XP: 3/5 | Conditions: None | Harm: 0/4

Did they really have to bring that back up? I always thought Sunny was kind of a nice girl -- the time I, uh, went over to her place, she seemed really nice -- so I don't know what to make of her lashing out at Lisa over what Riley did. Not that Lisa maybe should have said that, but... no. I really don't want this to be happening this way. It reminds me of those bad days when I'd start getting sick again, when I thought that everything was going well, and... I try to chase that feeling down. Things can still be okay, right? Things can still be okay. I try to promise that to myself, try to believe it.

I step towards Lisa, keeping my voice low. "Lisa? Uh... you're not wrong, Riley's a huge jerk, but... can we just drop it for now? Try to have a good time and let her be?" I know I sound a little on edge, maybe a little desperate, but... I just want things to be nice. Peaceful. Maybe just have a good day. Everything's going to get bad and complicated soon enough -- I feel it in my gut, where I shouldn't feel anything now, but it's still there -- but maybe I can just have one. Nice. Day.

Manipulate Lisa to drop it and smooth things over: 2d6-1 7
What does she want from me? And marking XP for Hot, since it's a new scene and all.

• Locked thread