Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Gavok posted:

New episode on the different home ports of Mortal Kombat 1, including the Tiger handhelds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCUtXD27UyQ

I'm more excited about the cliffhanger. The next episode will be about Time Killers.

I'm blaming my lack of sleep on the "How do these games stack up" joke slaying me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I like how clearly one of his main points is there isn't enough multiplayer games, but for some reason he doesn't actually say it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They reupped the Minecraft video for some reason. Instead of watching that, watch the far superior version here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCYetaKe9L4

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Long live Burown Buricks

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Codependent Poster posted:

They reupped the Minecraft video for some reason. Instead of watching that, watch the far superior version here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCYetaKe9L4

Man, it says so much about Mike that he ever thought this was a good idea. If he was 12-13, I'd get it. But isn't he 40? I know the Gadget thing was posted years ago, but not 25+ years ago, so he has no excuse.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think the Inspector Gadget video is one of those cases where you're just spitballing ideas and you don't truly realize how bad of an idea it was until after it's done.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

New AVGN episode: Dennis the Menace for SNES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTtuohRoXNY

The most telling thing about the badness of the game is how he looks up a walkthrough on Gamefaqs and the only existing one goes as far as the third level.

And holy poo poo, I was NOT prepared for the sudden Mr. Wilson appearance in-game.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

They did that game on J&MM a long time ago as well. The Mr. Wilson sprite is hilarious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAIIHaZvr60

Not to belabor the point that AVGN is bad now, but this line really stood out to me as why AVGN in recent years has grated on me:

"He was like the original Steve Urkel, and in that same regard, it seems the game is just as troublesome to the player"

What the hell is that? It's like he writes all the videos now as a parody of a college essay, with the required amount of diarrhea jokes added in. Go back and watch any episode from 2007 and the writing is SO much more natural sounding, and that's saying a lot. There are longer gaps between lines to let things breathe, and to draw your attention to the action on screen for a second. Honestly I could watch those old videos over and over again (and I have), but none of the episodes from the last few years do it for me. :(

It's disappointing because some of the scripted stuff James writes is still great and natural sounding. Like his video on The Thing from last month. That would fit right in as a Monster Madness video from 2010. So I can only assume the weird writing and different editing has been a conscious decision for the Nerd character.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was actually shocked to find out that there were two entirely different Dennis The Menace comic strips between the US and the UK with the same premise and it's not like you can call one the "original" since they came out on the same day. What a world.

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

wa27 posted:

They did that game on J&MM a long time ago as well. The Mr. Wilson sprite is hilarious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAIIHaZvr60

Not to belabor the point that AVGN is bad now, but this line really stood out to me as why AVGN in recent years has grated on me:

"He was like the original Steve Urkel, and in that same regard, it seems the game is just as troublesome to the player"

What the hell is that? It's like he writes all the videos now as a parody of a college essay, with the required amount of diarrhea jokes added in. Go back and watch any episode from 2007 and the writing is SO much more natural sounding, and that's saying a lot. There are longer gaps between lines to let things breathe, and to draw your attention to the action on screen for a second. Honestly I could watch those old videos over and over again (and I have), but none of the episodes from the last few years do it for me. :(

It's disappointing because some of the scripted stuff James writes is still great and natural sounding. Like his video on The Thing from last month. That would fit right in as a Monster Madness video from 2010. So I can only assume the weird writing and different editing has been a conscious decision for the Nerd character.

James doesn't write nerd episodes anymore, it's done by Screenwave Media (mostly by the guys you see in the Rental Reviews) which is owned by Ryan. They practically run the channel now and James shows up, reads the lines they wrote him, and goes back to raising his family full time.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

John Mirra posted:

James doesn't write nerd episodes anymore, it's done by Screenwave Media (mostly by the guys you see in the Rental Reviews) which is owned by Ryan. They practically run the channel now and James shows up, reads the lines they wrote him, and goes back to raising his family full time.

Oh, bummer. I guess that explains it though. So is he just lying when he mentions things like "playing through Earthbound or Majora's Mask for the review" in other unscripted stuff they do?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Nah he definitely does some of the technical side of things including capturing game footage.

But yeah said to find out AVGN is basically a tribute to itself now.

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

wa27 posted:

Oh, bummer. I guess that explains it though. So is he just lying when he mentions things like "playing through Earthbound or Majora's Mask for the review" in other unscripted stuff they do?

Funnily enough, those are the only two he's been motivated enough to write himself recently. I think he also did work on "The Immortal" episode. The Earthbound video is the last proper James AVGN video.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He should pick an SMT game for his final AVGN video when he decides to finally end the character.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

wa27 posted:

Nah it's a fact he did play through Earthbound at least, his daughter named the characters so that's why they had silly names in the review for example. And he showed off all the DVDs he used when he was recording Majora's Mask too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

John Mirra posted:

James doesn't write nerd episodes anymore, it's done by Screenwave Media (mostly by the guys you see in the Rental Reviews)
:barf: :barf: :barf:
drat that sucks. Explains why this season's videos have been kind of uneven and meh.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I guess that's the price you have to pay for content

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

:barf: :barf: :barf:
drat that sucks. Explains why this season's videos have been kind of uneven and meh.

Yeah it's sad. I really can't stand the terrible humor of those guys in rental reviews so no wonder AVGN has dropped in quality.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wait, that inflatable stoner Ryan is the one writing the show now? What the hell?

Dude is a black hole of 'interesting'.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm honestly surprised the AVGN is still around, why doesn't James just call it a day than this slow death he's currently chosen.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm honestly surprised the AVGN is still around, why doesn't James just call it a day than this slow death he's currently chosen.

I know part of it is his daughter needing really expensive medical treatments.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
the only rental review thing i ever watched was 5 minutes of their jurassic park 2 vs. 3 video, where james spent the entire time wanting to say something about the first movie but kept getting talked over as the other guys tried to one-up each other on argumentative hyperbole. they actually made me appreciate mike more.

even james seemed really confused by what they were there to talk about. poor dude's being used as a selling point so their lovely half in the bag ripoff doesn't fade into obscurity

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

They're really easy to hate, those Screenwave guys. Shame that James felt they were the right choice. He could've done anything, and people would've paid him to keep doing it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Screenwave are also his video host. He's been working with them for a while. It's kind of insidious in a way.

Also Ryan is basically a trust fund baby with the entire thing being established by his wealthy dad, apparently.

Screenwave is also rumored to have been why Bootsy and Kyle Justin no longer work for cinemassacre.

Basically James is stuck in the same situation as Doug Walker (though not an rear end in a top hat and with actual talent,) forced to push out videos even if he doesn't care about them to pay the bills.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 14, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Surely he could find an alternative?

Or Mike. Let Mike find him one.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

THE BAR posted:

Surely he could find an alternative?

Or Mike. Let Mike find him one.

Ryan's been running the website for a decade apparently. He might be locked in a pretty strong contract. It's even likely they own the whole AVGN character since they produce the DVDs/BRs and the official video games.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 14, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, I just watched the latest video, and it's not nearly as bad as that other poster made it seem like, and at times was almost classic. But that being said, it was fairly forgettable, just like some of the originals were. I liked that there weren't any gimmicks, he wasn't trying to do some dumb thing like Fred Fuchs, or whatever.

drat shame that he's kind of in the pocket of barely-sentient bean bag Ryan and those other guys. I don't hate the rental reviews, but I'd rather most of the time and effort put into those just go towards better AVGN episodes.

Edit: more riffing on the digital Walter Mathau sprite could have really helped this episode. I mean... Walter Mathau has his own SNES sprite, complete with animation! That's incredible!

Who else exists like that? Christopher Lloyd, obviously (from here, and BTTF)... uhhh... Is the Addams Family sprite of Gomez based on John Astin, or Raul Julia? Also holy poo poo, Christopher Lloyd is in that, too.

Weird.

Some follow up episode consisting of digitized celebrities could be good.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 14, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The use of the clip from The Critic felt really bad.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

God, that game looks absolutely infuriating. The Nerd's assessment of Ocean as the British LJN was pretty spot on because Christ, those guys published some poo poo over the years.

I noticed the difficulty was set to Hard, but apparently that's the default difficulty level. Even if there are easier difficulties, this seems like the kind of game that would only let you progress up to a certain point on anything lower than the default difficulty.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I'm glad when this thread reminds me there is a new AVGN episode since I usually scroll past the YouTube suggestions for Cinemassacre anymore. There's too much crap like James and Mike Mondays and Rental Reviews I don't care about.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I've been rewatching some old episodes (Atari 5200 is still the best one :allears:) and it reminded me how some people would accuse James of using emulators to cheat at the games he reviewed back in the day, even when he specifically said he was playing on original hardware. How in the gently caress do you look at James Rolfe's gameplay footage and go "yep, that's clearly emulated, I am very smart" when it was obviously recorded using composite or even RF video cables?

I realize internet video quality in general wasn't that great at the time, but emulated footage still would've looked noticeably better and lacked the crawling edge artifacts from composite video.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Former Human posted:

I'm glad when this thread reminds me there is a new AVGN episode since I usually scroll past the YouTube suggestions for Cinemassacre anymore. There's too much crap like James and Mike Mondays and Rental Reviews I don't care about.

Yeah, I only watch the AVGN and James solo videos these days. Everything else sucks.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I enjoy the rental reviews. It’s nice background noise, like listening to your friends talk about a movie while you read a book, or cook dinner.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

John Mirra posted:

Where did you read this?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Open Marriage Night posted:

I enjoy the rental reviews. It’s nice background noise, like listening to your friends talk about a movie while you read a book, or cook dinner.
Nah, they're too much of a mishmash of poo poo to be interesting.

The first minute of this is a bad skit capped with "ha-ha, there's a Sonny Chiba movie named THE Street Fighter! And here's a list of other Street Fighter named movies! wild!!" 15 minutes in and they're just talking about the Bison levitation scene at the end and jump around the whole film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhINNl6eUX0

e:// it's just too freeform to waste time on, imo.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

James seems so spacey and uninterested in all the unscripted videos.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
i think he's fine in j&mm if it's a game he cares about. it's very endearing how excited he is to talk about simon's quest and how they probably hosed up the ending order. that was from years ago though, so they've probably long since run out of stuff he has any real interest in and now he's just there to help a friend's video out

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Mike in the thumbnail is a sure fire way to get me to not click a video.

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

Little Mac posted:

Where did you read this?

One of the Screenwave guys admitted it in a Reddit AMA. Most of it was pasted here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheCinemassacreTruth/comments/g4dyzw/faq_an_introduction_for_new_visitors/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

John Mirra posted:

One of the Screenwave guys admitted it in a Reddit AMA. Most of it was pasted here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheCinemassacreTruth/comments/g4dyzw/faq_an_introduction_for_new_visitors/

"Mike is still around, but he's focusing more on his streaming career"