Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

twistedmentat posted:

There's a difference between people liking something and people saying "Best thing ever!!!!"

I can understand that, when video games are your job, something you can play for less than an hour and feel satisfied is probably going to be more fun than something you need to sink hours upon hours in.

Okay this Beyond the Sleep is pretty creepy.

During those podcasts Jeff was saying he was going home and playing through 100 Mario mode every single day. If true, he sunk "hours upon hours" into the game and probably played it more than anything else last year.

Maybe it's a good game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Yea. I think what really killed it for me was Giant Bombs GOTY 2015 podcasts where they'd dismiss Witcher 3 or MGSV or other really great games and say "and I went back to playing Mario Maker when i was board and wanted something to do". It was basically a time waster, on the same level as like candy crush.

As I remember, several people at Giant Bomb fought AGAINST Mario Maker making the top of the list. And the only reason Witcher 3 wasn't talked about was because no one finished it, most of them there did like what they played (and one of them went on to finish the game and some of the DLC and liked it a lot).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

There's a difference between people liking something and people saying "Best thing ever!!!!"

What if they actually think that. After spending more time with video games than most living people over a 40 year period. But no maybe he's just being hyperbolic because you don't like the game :ms:

elf help book posted:

During those podcasts Jeff was saying he was going home and playing through 100 Mario mode every single day. If true, he sunk "hours upon hours" into the game and probably played it more than anything else last year.

Maybe it's a good game?

No he likes it too much, sorry.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Did you guys watch James and Mike play Among The Sleep yet? I was genuinely curious about this game, but I couldn't make it through their video. It's as if Mike is trying to be as obnoxious as possible, and James just sits there and laughs awkwardly in response. Mike, tone it down a little bit, buddy.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 24, 2016

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Jedah posted:

Did you guys watch James and Mike play Among The Sleep yet? I was genuinely curious about this game, but I couldn't make it through their video. It's as if Mike is trying to be as obnoxious as possible, and James just sits there and laughs awkwardly in response. Mike, tone it down a little bit, buddy.

Yeah I watched it this morning, but I didn't have any problems with Mike in this one. He's like that though; if you're in just the right (or wrong) mood he can be grating, but if you're not looking for it he's fine.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

timp posted:

Yeah I watched it this morning, but I didn't have any problems with Mike in this one.
I gave it another shot, and while the first few minutes are cringe-worthy (Mike screaming "NOT THE MAMA!!!! and doing obnoxious impressions) they eventually realize that the game is extremely cool, and start quieting down a bit. And I can understand why, that game looks awesome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was going to say the whole pancake aspect of Lumberjack Man was just another lol random kind of modern internet humor crap, but when James revealed that it was more of a spoof of the slasher genre it can be forgiven.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Mike and Bootsy share their top 5 favorite horror movies

Cinemassacre makes it really easy to get into the Halloween spirit every year :allears:

E: should go without saying, but Monster Madness has been absolutely terrific this year.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Too bad Mike isn't very interesting to listen to. Bootsy though was good.

And holy poo poo that's what Clockwork Empires was? For some reason I though it was a goofy Steampunk tactical game, not a Lovecraftian town builder.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Really interesting MM episode today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awwwtYdeymI

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

And so the end has come, the final MM review, on the day of Hallow's Eve...

Is the Christmas Horror/Comedy, Krampus

Quite frankly, I already liked the movie, and love the wonderful subversion of the holiday's expectations for another Halloween film.

But hey, in the end, it's been a good decade, cheers to Rolfe, hope his new projects do well for themselves.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I hope James and Mike do some more commentary tracks in the future, like their ones for Dracula, White Zombie, the Terror, and Night of the Living Dead. If they just release the audio, they shouldn't take up too much of their time because there's not much editing required and James already knows as ton about the movies. I'd love to see one for every Universal monster movie.

Though I suppose if they are going to take two hours of their time recording something, doing a live stream on youtube would probably get ten times the views than a commentary track on cinemassacre would.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
RIP Monster Madness 2006-2016

Maybe in the future he could do one a week but slightly longer or something? Anyways, if I had to say my top 5, It would go Godzilla, 80s, History, Camp Cult and Sequel A Thon 1.

I am surprised that he never did two of my favorites, The Lost Boys and Prince of Darkness.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure he's already said Monster Madness will continue. It just won't be a marathon.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I am surprised that he never did two of my favorites, The Lost Boys and Prince of Darkness.

Uh?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

How the hell did I miss that? *goes back over it* nope, I straight up missed that one, it doesn't have the Watched thing on the ps4 app, but the ones before it and after did. Strange.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

10 years and I don't think James has ever done a Simpsons related video that wasn't the video game. The best Treehouse episodes came out at the perfect time for him at ages 11-18 and lampoon films he thinks highly of. There's at least a top 10 episode right there.

disc
Sep 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

10 years and I don't think James has ever done a Simpsons related video that wasn't the video game. The best Treehouse episodes came out at the perfect time for him at ages 11-18 and lampoon films he thinks highly of. There's at least a top 10 episode right there.

They mention it briefly in the Halloween TV Specials video. He explained that he stopped watching The Simpsons early in the series and catching up at this point would be near impossible for him.

It's not a horror movie, but I was hoping for a video on Hocus Pocus at some point.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

disc posted:

It's not a horror movie, but I was hoping for a video on Hocus Pocus at some point.

Everyone I know goes nuts for this movie, and I don't get it. Yeah, I've seen it, I thought it was ok, as a kid. I don't find it holds up. Same with Ernest Scared Stupid, but maybe that's a given.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Sarah Jessica Parker dressed up as a witch made me feel all funny when I first saw that movie as a kid.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I know its WatchMojo but AVGN topped their list of Retro Youtube Reviewers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV-4Hn33exA

I liked that Gaming Historian and LGR were on here, but those clips of JonTron do not make me want to ever watch any of his stuff.

Though Pat, did he stop doing tons of videos about Wrestling? I enjoyed his gaming vids, but holy poo poo it was annoying to skip through the wrestling to find the games.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
More people need to watch Ahoy, such an amazing channel.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If James was super impressed by Outlast because there was "danger" then he might literally die playing Alien, both from nostalgia and gameplay.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

More people need to watch Ahoy, such an amazing channel.

His updates are infrequent, but it's like a surprise Christmas every time. Everyone needs to go through his Nuclear Fruit: How the Cold War Shaped Video Games videos.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

al-azad posted:

If James was super impressed by Outlast because there was "danger" then he might literally die playing Alien, both from nostalgia and gameplay.

Or frustration. I get the feeling they would probably get really annoyed with it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Or frustration. I get the feeling they would probably get really annoyed with it.

Maybe in the long run but if he came out of Outlast feeling great while getting killed in every encounter and blindly ignoring giant prompts on the screen I think he'd cream his pants over Alien. It was also super cute that he and Mike split keyboard/controller duty. He could barely work the Xbox controller.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how nerds are all "I need a clicky keyboard because....feels!" and mike is all "things so loud!"

I was was just wondering what was going on with Mike's setup, as I noticed the posters kept changing. Now i know, two setups, two different sets of posters.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

James visits an arcade with some friends. Good video, I really miss traditional arcades like this. That beat-em-up game Ninja Baseball Bat Man is awesome. Well worth a play through or two, especially with a friend.

There were so many good titles back in the day. The Simpsons Arcade game, X-Men Arcade, Turtles in Time, Samurai Shodown 2, Alien vs. Predator, Mortal Kombat 2, Killer Instinct, Die Hard Arcade, Puzzle Bobble, Time Crisis, Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara. And countless others, too!

Jedah fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 5, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jedah posted:

James visits an arcade with some friends. Good video, I really miss traditional arcades like this. That beat-em-up game Ninja Baseball Bat Man is awesome. Well worth a play through or two, especially with a friend.

There were so many good titles back in the day. The Simpsons Arcade game, X-Men Arcade, Turtles in Time, Samurai Shodown 2, Alien vs. Predator, Mortal Kombat 2, Killer Instinct, Die Hard Arcade, Puzzle Bobble, Time Crisis, Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara. And countless others, too!

Lucky and Wild :colbert:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I heard this man IS afraid of Ghostbusters

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Absolutely! I only had the opportunity to play Lucky and Wild a few times, but it was excellent. Priceless facial expressions.

And I deserve to be clotheslined by Mike Haggar for not including Final Fight, one of the most influential beat-em-up games.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Jedah posted:

Lucky me, I live only 30 minutes away from Galloping Ghost. What a great arcade!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I remember having a lot of fun with a Lucky & Wild machine as a kid but it's been well over a decade since I've played one.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I watching Mike and his GF play the Universal game, and I am totally fascinated by this game, because it's such a weird concept. I can understand the minigames based on Universal Movies, becuase yea that's what it's about, and even the Park part I understand but the whole earning points ot buy hats to go on the ride is just this weird hoop you have to jump through. It seems like it would be something in a modern mobile game that is trying to milk you for microtransation money.

I guess someone said "this is for kids, who It can't just be fun, they need to learn something, I know lets teach kids not to litter!".

Gamecube is probably the console I know the least about out of the major ones from the last few years. I've never actually played it, and i have zero experience with the games. Sometimes I feel like getting a used one just to check it out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

GameCube was sweet. With a few exceptions, had much better first party Nintendo games than Wii/Wii U. And the best controller for games specifically designed around it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Detective No. 27 posted:

GameCube was sweet. With a few exceptions, had much better first party Nintendo games than Wii/Wii U. And the best controller for games specifically designed around it.

Yea, when I always saw it I'd think "wait, that actually looks good" because I loving hate the N64's controller with a passion.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think it's more like "This game is too short and easy, we need to justify the $50."

And so to get to the meat of the game you have to spend an hour doing meaningless bullshit.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Star Fox SNES and 64 are pure score attack games, in the same mold as Platinum Games's oeuvre. It's supposed to be played over and over again. I mean, yeah, $50 in 1997 money is around $460 today, but I know I got at least that much money's worth on ,you old N64 cart without it ever feeling like a needless padding grind.

Edit: I just realized you were talking about Universal Studios. My bad.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The GameCube controller is automatically not great by virtue of not having the necessary inputs to play third party games of the time in the standard way. All of them had to make unnecessary compromises or just not come to the system at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

The GameCube controller is automatically not great by virtue of not having the necessary inputs to play third party games of the time in the standard way. All of them had to make unnecessary compromises or just not come to the system at all.

The Wii had the same problem.

And it looks like the Switch likely will too (at least if they want that break apart controller thing to work right for MP)