Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I was never a Mike hater, and him leaving kind of feels like the nail in the coffin for Cinemassacre. No more James and Mike Mondays, no more Bootsy, no more Board James. It's all Screenwave content now, and half of those videos are done too. Maybe the Monster Madness renaissance will be something but that's ten months off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It's funny to me, that in the Resident Evil video they did lately, where James goes on an anecdote about camera angles and one of the Screenwave slobs interrupt him to show off his sick moves, the comments on Youtube are angry at James, not the other guy, for disrupting the video. James is talking about something genuinely interesting, pay attention you fools! :argh:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mike has major lowtax vibes

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think in the comments somewhere Mike said they were still friends. It just looks like taking a break has made them realise they don't need to do what they were doing anymore. I can only imagine after so many James and Mike Mondays it can start to feel like a chore.

The spawnwave guys are largely just a skip for me as I think they are for a few people now. No offence but I feel like YouTube is awash with people who look just like them with the same taste as them who'll complain about the same things as them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah the stuff where any of the Screenwave guys are front and center are instant skips for me as well.

Josh as mentioned was pretty good in AVGN though. He's fine playing a character.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Rental Reviews never landed for me because there's just too many people and too little of interest for faaaaaar too long. The Monster Madness reviews where Mike and James are riffing work well because James is either fanboying about the film or offering something interesting about the production or history, while Mike is more of an everyman (when not interrupting James).

Rental Review was just some unstructured bull.

Mokinokaro posted:

Josh as mentioned was pretty good in AVGN though. He's fine playing a character.
Was he the guy who played Clown? Because he really nailed that whole thing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMDxGMe0O1Y

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I can't believe James sacrificed Mike to the Behelit.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, basically I just watch Nerd videos, everything else is meh.

Greatest Hits for Xmas Nerd
https://youtu.be/VsJJjNIiIU8

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I only watch Nerd and the solo James videos he occasionally does on some old movie topic. They’re good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hah, I forgot that he did an Xmas video with Dad.

EDIT: This reminded me I never watched the Majoria's Mask episode. Holy poo poo, I never played it because I a) hated Ocarina of Time and b) the ads were extra depressing. But drat like I'm sure this does deserve its classic status, but god the mechanics of that game look unfun.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 23, 2020

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Watched some of the newer AVGN’s since I was behind and it felt like James was just phoning it in and felt uninterested. Like the last 2 episodes were a bit better though.

Do the screen wave guys do all the writing, gameplay, editing, etc and James just comes in to just do the lines?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Was he the guy who played Clown? Because he really nailed that whole thing.

Yeah that was him.

The Screenwave guys are helping him with writing and editing since he's got a family to care for.

IIRC, the gameplay comes from a bunch of different folks.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Zarfol posted:

Watched some of the newer AVGN’s since I was behind and it felt like James was just phoning it in and felt uninterested. Like the last 2 episodes were a bit better though.

Do the screen wave guys do all the writing, gameplay, editing, etc and James just comes in to just do the lines?

He's talking about games now that he never had any connections with growing up. James seems to be the sort who's passion leaks out when he has a connection with something and autopilots for everything else. I could care less about Paramount monsters but James really makes that stuff fun with his monster madness stuff.

I have no idea why he's partnering with basically a bunch of nobodies (screenwave) but who knows. It just feels like they're grifting and milking it as they just suck out any enjoyment I have when they're involved. They remind me of some of the uncomfortable creeps I knew in college. Like the bad guy from Megamind or something.

I mean AVGN lasted longer than any youtuber I know of so pretty good run all things considered.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Screenwave have been his host for like a decade. They've just become more active.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I have no idea why he's partnering with basically a bunch of nobodies (screenwave) but who knows. It just feels like they're grifting and milking it as they just suck out any enjoyment I have when they're involved. They remind me of some of the uncomfortable creeps I knew in college. Like the bad guy from Megamind or something.

I mean AVGN lasted longer than any youtuber I know of so pretty good run all things considered.

It's in this thread somewhere but someone linked a bunch of stuff from Reddit AMAs and the like which basically confirm this is the case.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Buckwheat Sings posted:

He's talking about games now that he never had any connections with growing up.

Counterpoint: one of the absolute best episodes is Plumbers Don't Wear Ties. Though, to be fair, that "game" is unfathomably terrible.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I know James has said multiple times the past year "Screenwave is the only reason AVGN can continue". I'm sure at some point a few years ago he was ready to walk away, so they stepped in and took on 90% of the production load to keep it going. And so I can't really get upset at them bastardizing the series when the alternative is nothing. I don't think there is another crew out there that could recreate the genuineness of James making these videos by himself in his basement.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I'd rather something dies with dignity rather than having its corpse being Ubisofted.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The AVGN stuff is still good. But yeah, the charm of him doing mostly everything on his own is gone, but that's nobody's fault. He's older and has a family, so of course he's not gonna have as much time and will have to let other people do more heavy lifting. We all grow up and can't devote time to things as much as we could have when we were younger with less responsibilities.

It sucks, but James is still entertaining and endearing. I still enjoy the AVGN stuff, even if it lacks the janky charm the earlier episodes had.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It feels like the show wasn’t the same after the movie hiatus but I still find it enjoyable and like to see it continue.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

It sucks, but James is still entertaining and endearing. I still enjoy the AVGN stuff, even if it lacks the janky charm the earlier episodes had.

Yeah, this. The character and setting is getting stale, but he's still bringing a performance even at his worst.

Still, bring back Mike, Bootsy, and Board James.

Please don't make Board James with the new people. :smithicide:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm not here, still watching, for the AVGN, Mike, the screensaver guys, or anyone else. I just keep watching for James :shrug:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Angry Videogame Men are still good. We fight. We kill. We betray one another. But we can rebuild. We can do better. We will. We have to.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I'm not sure why everyone thinks the new videos are so bad. They remind me more of the really old AVGN ones, where he just talks about a game and shows people why it sucks, with the occasional skit thrown in every few episodes. I guess if you got into him during the era where every episode had an elaborate skit or storyline, but I found it tedious after awhile and kind of like this return to form.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He's had a lot more skitheavy stuff this "season". Or was that last year when his releases became Amazon Exclusive?

Like the one with Jurassic Park and Gottfried

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I loved the Kage/Taito episodes. Really, really loved. The latest one just felt lifeless, I don't know. It's like he went TOO far away from the skits/gimmicks on that one, and it literally was "guy complains about a game". Usually, that description is very much under-selling it, but in that one, that's all there was.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Original_Z posted:

I'm not sure why everyone thinks the new videos are so bad. They remind me more of the really old AVGN ones, where he just talks about a game and shows people why it sucks, with the occasional skit thrown in every few episodes. I guess if you got into him during the era where every episode had an elaborate skit or storyline, but I found it tedious after awhile and kind of like this return to form.

His last couple were better, but he has some really awful ones (Spawn and Jurassic Park) recently where the focus has been more on unfunny skits rather then the game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I liked Spawn, I thought that was one of the better skit heavy ones.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SeANMcBAY posted:

I liked Spawn, I thought that was one of the better skit heavy ones.
Spawn worked because of the guy doing Clown stuff. It was a more polished and less fun version of that Batman review with the lovely Joker.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m not sure how watchable the Mike heavy skit ones would be these days for me.

Has anyone played the new version of the AVGN game? How’s it compare to the originals?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Original_Z posted:

They just seem like ordinary reviews that anyone on the internet can make now. Just a bland listing of flaws. Then a forced rage minute that doesn't feel believable like it used to feel.

The last great episode I saw was Majora's Mask. That was the last one where I didn't have to fight the urge to turn it off.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i thought the Spawn episode was okay, but i also hadn't watched an episode for like a year and a half before watching it as part of a catch up over a week or so so i was probably grading on a pretty low curve

the Gottfried one was kind of weird because like the actual game footage was loving absurdly bad that you just laughed at it on its own, and Gottfried hamming it up was entertaining on his own, but it was kind of less than the sum of its parts as a whole episode

i dunno, like i said i stopped watching for a couple of years because i was just kind of over the whole "angry dudes yelling about video games" thing altogether. they're probably not as good as they used to be, but i'm also not as interested in that kind of content as i used to be, so if other people handling a bunch of the production lets James keep the money coming in while having more time with his family and stuff then good for him, it's kind of like The Simpsons where i've just moved on, no skin off my nose :shrug:

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Spawn worked because of the guy doing Clown stuff. It was a more polished and less fun version of that Batman review with the lovely Joker.

I can't believe people around here are praising the obnoxious clown in the Spawn video. Justin is repulsive and I shut it off whenever I see him in a video. I would have assumed you were Justin with a SA account if it wasn't for other goons praising him too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The only guest characters I remember liking is the Glitch Gremlin and the Ninja. All others were just annoying the ground the episode to a halt.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

The only guest characters I remember liking is the Glitch Gremlin and the Ninja. All others were just annoying the ground the episode to a halt.

I liked the Mario 3 episode with the cyber Jesus :smith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zarfol posted:

It's always weird when he reviews good games. But welcomed.

I'd love to see him handle the ICOM/Macventure trilogy :allears:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zarfol posted:

That's not really a character on the same level of Mike dressing up like the Cowardly Lion and just doing lines from the movie.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Anything with the guitar guy in it is golden.

He did a pretty mean cover of Double Vision in that Coleco episode, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Ikari Warriors with Kyle Justin is still a classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bByE7n2AJj4