Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

God drat that was a good one. The loving boat bits had me in stitches; some clown thought that was some genuinely good game design so he used it twice.

Games like this are where AVGN shines -- finicky controls, awkward platforming and just outright cruelty with no way to anticipate it.

Nothing will top the explosion of rage and frustration at the end of the Dick Tracy review though. That poo poo legitimately feels real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What legitimately terrible 8 and or 16 bit games are left for him to REview?
God damned loving Time Lord on NES. My most hated game.

Lovely music and graphics. Just the most awful gameplay. The levels involve you having to find five orbs and the logic behind them is beyond esoteric. Like "hey jump in this completely random non-descript spot to make it appear!".

What I didn't know as a child is that the boss of the third area (with no visible health bar) had regenerating health. My brother and I literally fought that loving bastard for over an hour at a time.

I feel like a montage of finding the orbs would be perfect standard AVGN fodder.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 20, 2022

Slavik
May 10, 2009
The skit with Ernie was great, hope the Nes toaster survived :D were there Seasme Street games this is a hint at?
Good episode, how games like that got made I'll never know. Would of been pretty annoyed owing or renting that. Would of at least been a lot more playable if the movement was fixed to a grid as mentioned. Obtuse puzzles, instant deaths, items needed you cant backtrack too - ex Sierra employee?

Slavik fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 20, 2022

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Slavik posted:

The skit with Ernie was great, hope the Nes toaster survived :D were there Seasme Street games this is a hint at?
Good episode, how games like that got made I'll never know. Would of been pretty annoyed owing or renting that. Would of at least been a lot more playable if the movement was fixed to a grid as mentioned. Obtuse puzzles, instant deaths, items needed you cant backtrack too - ex Sierra employee?

Ah, good old Sierra. The King's Quest games alone were full of item traps. A pie you can eat that is used at a later point, a basement you can accidentally thrown in twice, and the second time around the item you needed to get out was gone, so in both cases you were just hosed without knowing.

The KQ-games even included tons of very dumb screens where you could just walk to your death if you tapped your movement keys the wrong way for a nanosecond. Very Last Ninja like. My favorite was in King's Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder, where there was a part where you could slightly walk off a staircase to die immediately. The game didn't even care if you where just one step off the ground, step to the side an you were just dead, complete with hilarious death scream. :allears:

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Libluini posted:

Ah, good old Sierra. The King's Quest games alone were full of item traps. A pie you can eat that is used at a later point, a basement you can accidentally thrown in twice, and the second time around the item you needed to get out was gone, so in both cases you were just hosed without knowing.

The KQ-games even included tons of very dumb screens where you could just walk to your death if you tapped your movement keys the wrong way for a nanosecond. Very Last Ninja like. My favorite was in King's Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder, where there was a part where you could slightly walk off a staircase to die immediately. The game didn't even care if you where just one step off the ground, step to the side an you were just dead, complete with hilarious death scream. :allears:

That's why I always preferred the Space Quest games over King's Quest, as when you inevitably made a mistake and died at least you got a fun, graphic death screen.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

iamsosmrt posted:

The Last Ninja works so well because you get a real feel of how lovely the game was to play as he struggles with the control mechanics. It wasn't a very thorough play-through, nor did it need to be, it just played up certain parts for comedy's sake and the episode benefited for it.

Exactly. Angry Nintendo Nerd blew up because it took you back to the time when games were obtuse bullshit and you had literal flashbacks to your previous experiences in games. This is a large reason why his Sonic 06', Earthbound, and Majora's Mask reviews are his most popular and beloved modern episodes because besides brand recognition, they have you recall your own experience playing the games or those similar to it. There's a reason why people keep referencing the scene in the Earthbound episode where the nerd replicates Poo's subservient meditation excerpt. It's because it was a trippy scene that everyone remembers and they reacted in a similar, though admittedly toned down, way.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Enjoyed the new episode a lot! I was trying to work out what my favourite and least favourite episodes were, I'll have a proper look at the list later.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Exactly. Angry Nintendo Nerd blew up because it took you back to the time when games were obtuse bullshit and you had literal flashbacks to your previous experiences in games. This is a large reason why his Sonic 06', Earthbound, and Majora's Mask reviews are his most popular and beloved modern episodes because besides brand recognition, they have you recall your own experience playing the games or those similar to it. There's a reason why people keep referencing the scene in the Earthbound episode where the nerd replicates Poo's subservient meditation excerpt. It's because it was a trippy scene that everyone remembers and they reacted in a similar, though admittedly toned down, way.

Sorry for the double post, something just struck me. I wasn't all that high on the Majora's Mask episode, but then again, I got it with a strategy guide, which heavily affected my experience playing it. A lot of the stuff I thought was obvious probably wouldn't have been without the guide, in which case I probably would've felt the frustration.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I was partial to Cobra Triangle as a kid. Kind of similar to RC Pro-Am, just with more variety in level objectives.

Check out Eliminator Boat Duel if you like that game.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

What legitimately terrible 8 and or 16 bit games are left for him to REview?

Faxanadu. Very ambitious game with absolutely dickish design - enemies too short to hit, can hit you anywhere on the screen, developer traps including a trap extra life before the final boss; terrible password system; and bugs - at least one upgrade actually makes you weaker. Would make a good episode.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Astyanax. Fun side scroller.

Athena. loving inscrutable action game.

The entire "Series" gen 1 library of NES games where they took slightly altered sprites from the games and made them the box art.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
actually surprised james hasnt played athena

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

God I remember renting Athena and that's one of the first games I ever thought was just straight up bad.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Athena is dogshit.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
there are also a few flawed but still good games on the NES he could play. Someone already mentioned Faxanadu

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

FilthyImp posted:

The entire "Series" gen 1 library of NES games where they took slightly altered sprites from the games and made them the box art.

Most of those are pretty decent. I can’t really see an episode on one.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Between the NES, SNES, TG-16, and Genesis there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of potential games to do. I do suspect a lot of his "bad" reviews are likely due to barely playing them himself and bring filled with Screensaver guys padding the scripts with pop references for cheap comedy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SeANMcBAY posted:

Urban Champion.

It sucks.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I remember hating Tiger Heli and Burai Fighter. They're not good games but they're too boring and unremarkable to actually make fun of for an entire video.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i played a lot of tiger heli as a kid because it came with my hand me down NES

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Can we agree that the Shrek episode is the worst AVGN episode?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

the worst ones for me are the ones where mike is doing a character and wont stfu

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

punk rebel ecks posted:

I skipped the seemingly extremely dumb skit, and therefore I have no idea just how bad/how justified I was.

From the sounds of it, "very".

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I just watched the Shrek ep, and even just skipping to his review and cutting off at the skit, it's pretty bad. Just a soul-less play through of the game, a bunch of lame humor and forced anger at the end before the shrek cameo even starts.

I don't know if it's that Emily video, but I've been more mindful about why the good ones are good and why reviews like this are so terrible and easy to forget. Basically he just wanted to poo poo on the Shrek franchise and chose the lowest hanging fruit of a game to do it.

After writing that, I skipped ahead a bit in the video to see if there was anything else interesting and I realized it's where that awkward self-tying with the onion gag rant came from in his behind the scenes video. I guess it's sort of a self-inflicted problem of focusing too much on a bad skit for an AVGN video over insightful gameplay anger.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I skipped the seemingly extremely dumb skit, and therefore I have no idea just how bad/how justified I was.

From the sounds of it, "very".

This short clip is all you need to see to know how bad it is.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I always think of the Gilbert Gottfried episode.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

wa27 posted:

It's up there.

Outside of McCulkin, pretty much all of his "special guest" episodes suck rear end.

I've also heard that Gilbert Gottfried doesn't really sound as obnoxious at all, like he has a completely normal voice, and the super annoying voice he does is just to get attention.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

wa27 posted:

He's a national treasure and that episode was good.

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's up there.

Outside of McCulkin, pretty much all of his "special guest" episodes suck rear end.

I've also heard that Gilbert Gottfried doesn't really sound as obnoxious at all, like he has a completely normal voice, and the super annoying voice he does is just to get attention.

He has a podcast and when he's talking and interviewing someone his voice is fine. When he goes into a bit or if he laughs really hard, that annoying voice kicks in.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Getting the guy from PepsiMan was pretty great.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
and they also got the pepsi tv game guy

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Legacy of the Wizard would be a fun one.
Has he done those Wizards and Warriors games??

SeANMcBAY posted:

He's done "series" reviews before and I think it'd be fun to see the variety of games contained in the early NES releases.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

FilthyImp posted:

He's done "series" reviews before and I think it'd be fun to see the variety of games contained in the early NES releases.

The thing about the black box games is that they were from a different era of gaming, more of an evolution of the Atari era arcade score chasers and simple concepts. In Japan you can see the evolution of game concepts that eventually brought us to super mario, whereas in the states the system launched years later with mario along with the first few famicon games which were obsolete right away.

Jeremy Parish’s video works series is good for those kinds of reviews, he reviews every single game for a console in order of release, reviewing them based on the competition and tech available at the time, so a game might be flawed but it’s understandable why. In the same way, if a game sucks and there are no excuses then he absolutely rips on it.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

Has he done those Wizards and Warriors games??

They did a J&MM of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgszqQv2588

I had Legacy of the Wizard as a kid. A lot of people seem to like it, but I felt so ripped off. Everything in that game is so obtuse. It's hard to navigate, the puzzles make no sense, item drops can harm you, the graphics are bad even for 1987, etc. It's one of those old games where you had to draw your own map as you played and keep track of every special block and trap or you could never beat it.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I remember quite enjoying the Gilbert Gottfried and Lloyd Kaufman episodes but I imagine I'm in the minority there.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I remember quite enjoying the Gilbert Gottfried and Lloyd Kaufman episodes but I imagine I'm in the minority there.

Kaufman's was fun, I just didn't care about the game he dragged Gottfried in for.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm surprised he hasn't done more classic Genesis games like Altered Beast. For Nintendo, I don't think he's really done those Culture Brain made games yet, Kung fu Heroes was kind of fun but wonky as heck to play.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
life of black tiger didnt really have that much material to work with in the first place imo

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

iamsosmrt posted:

I'm surprised he hasn't done more classic Genesis games like Altered Beast. For Nintendo, I don't think he's really done those Culture Brain made games yet, Kung fu Heroes was kind of fun but wonky as heck to play.
Given that Altered Beast takes all of a mighty ten minutes to see through from start to finish, there's not really anything to say about it other than "it's pretty poo poo with the best-worst voice samples ever".

Now the classic Golden Axe series would be worth a look, because the third one is just that bad.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Given that Altered Beast takes all of a mighty ten minutes to see through from start to finish, there's not really anything to say about it other than "it's pretty poo poo with the best-worst voice samples ever".

Now the classic Golden Axe series would be worth a look, because the third one is just that bad.

It's a short game but there's enough goofy poo poo for him to riff on for like 10 minutes with some b-movie sketch on top. But yeah, Golden Axe would be another good choice.

He hasnt done Revenge of Shinobi, right? The original version that has Batman, Spiderman, Godzilla, Terminator and Rambo is right up his alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

iamsosmrt posted:

He hasnt done Revenge of Shinobi, right? The original version that has Batman, Spiderman, Godzilla, Terminator and Rambo is right up his alley.
That game has some great potential for an episode. The cameos, the absurd difficulty, that one loving jump. Also the fact you have to be not-poo poo to get the good ending too. That alone warrants a "you mean I gotta do that poo poo all over again?!" moment from the Nerd as he realises that he's got to play an utterly horrible vertical level again.

Shinobi as a series (or at least the 8/16-bit games) would make for some good Nerd material in general. Sure, the games are generally high-quality but they're also regarded as being very difficult, which is ideal for Nerd rage. Especially the SMS port of the Arcade original, which just starts throwing complete and utter bullshit at you by the last few levels. He'd also get to finish the topic with Shinobi III, which is tough but fair, and in turn stopping there allows us to pretend that Shinobi X never happened.

We can also ignore the GBA game which shares the name of "Revenge of Shinobi" but isn't a remake and has absolutely gently caress-all to do with any of Sega's titles whatsoever!