Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN8vTnT61zg

This is tickling me pink as I had The Second Mission as a child. Never played the original.

James also had some other video recently, "Joe Bob Briggs RETURNS! The Last Drive-In, Horror Movies, and More!" ... but at over an hour not touching that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg1oKKz7NOw

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Feels like this was mostly an excuse for him to complain about the downsides to having a cat as well to show off his current pet(s)

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Feels like this was mostly an excuse for him to complain about the downsides to having a cat as well to show off his current pet(s)

I see it more as a stealth episode of You Know What's Bullshit? about cats.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hey so there's apparently a monster madness going on this year.

Did the fiasco from last year just kill the enthusiasm?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

He's covering new movies, so eerh.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/oleivarrudi/status/1586055863122403328?s=46&t=KDxlV3alLudcHF9SzlGK1g

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5zyhC11hzQ

AVGN: Doom

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That was pretty good with some info I didn’t know like fmv scenes were planned for 3DO.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I never thought about why the PS1 and N64 Doom games have that generic moody music, and the Jaguar version has no music at all: id software didn't want to pay Bobby Prince.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s fine for 64 since that’s a new original game but 1 and 2 need their music.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!
Oof my boy's hairline is really suffering these days. Good episode though. I never realized the Doom soundtrack was straight replicating actual songs though, that's awesome!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Doom 64 needs more love. The real Doom 3. Seems hardly anyone knew it was an original game and just assumed it was yet another port.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Former Human posted:

I never thought about why the PS1 and N64 Doom games have that generic moody music, and the Jaguar version has no music at all: id software didn't want to pay Bobby Prince.

JagDoom does have music, albeit very liimted use of it -- it's only heard on the title screen and during intermissions, because during gameplay the chip responsible for handling music is being put to use calculating collision detection and other important stuff.

The disagreement with using Prince's music rose with the development of the PSX port -- Williams didn't want to fork out the royalty fees for that stuff, so went with Aubrey Hodges for a new OST and new sound effects.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

edit: Okay I was late for the party for the Doom post. My bad.

The best AVGN episode I've seen in a while. The BFSG had me lol'ing

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 31, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

teethgrinder posted:

Doom 64 needs more love. The real Doom 3. Seems hardly anyone knew it was an original game and just assumed it was yet another port.

It’s getting more lately with the rerelease and Doom Eternal. It’s a rad game and totally recommend everyone that likes Doom give it a go.

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Oof my boy's hairline is really suffering these days. Good episode though. I never realized the Doom soundtrack was straight replicating actual songs though, that's awesome!

He should get a toupee for the nerd when it gets to the point of no return in a few years.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 31, 2022

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
It's my theory that Carmack made Doom run on anything to save humanity from extinction. When alien archeologists visit Earth in a thousand years they are bound to find Doom loaded on something and will think, "drat! Humans were sick!" and Jurassic Park us back to life.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SeANMcBAY posted:

That was pretty good with some info I didn’t know like fmv scenes were planned for 3DO.

The full story about the 3D0 port of Doom and why it's the way it is is pretty interesting and Burger Becky herself tells the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBbIil2HPSU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpgrQgvlpBM

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm glad he mentioned Burger Becky without dragging her for her work. She had way too little time!

Anyway, weird coincidence that Stop Skeletons from Fighting (previously known as the Happy Video Game Nerd) released his PSX DOOM video literally 3 days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRcFCkXbdGI

Guy's got a bunch of Doom videos, I recommend them.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That was a good AVGN. I'm happy to see that John Romero actually contributed to it as well. Shame that the Nerd never got to play a C64 version of Doom, I'm sure someone must have ported it by now.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s getting more lately with the rerelease and Doom Eternal. It’s a rad game and totally recommend everyone that likes Doom give it a go.
Yeah Bethesda made Doom 64 available everywhere, finally. On Game Pass too.

It was on somethingawful that I first found out about it probably nearly 20 years ago; there were a couple of early fan-made PC adaptations and I really loved it. I did like Doom 3 too fwiw, but obviously it was a completely different thing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Male pattern baldness is awful! Been marathoning his episodes in batches at a time and his hairline is the one thing that's slowly changing. It doubly hits because that's basically my situation too, except I'm losing my hair on my crown.

I wonder if he still keeps in touch with Kyle Justin. The last episode I watched in the marathon was the Christmas episode he did with Keith Apicary and apparently Justin built the set they demolished but after that he just disappears from those videos.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Randalor posted:

That was a good AVGN. I'm happy to see that John Romero actually contributed to it as well. Shame that the Nerd never got to play a C64 version of Doom, I'm sure someone must have ported it by now.

That's easy mode. Now, what would really impress me would be an Amstrad CPC 464 port, on tape.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah for all intents and purposes, id Software considers Doom 64 to be the real Doom 3 as of Doom Eternal and has a ton of references to it. The actual Doom 3 seems to be some kind of alternate timeline thing now. Which is impressive, since id Software didn't actually develop Doom 64, Midway did.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Libluini posted:

That's easy mode. Now, what would really impress me would be an Amstrad CPC 464 port, on tape.

Yeah, but he was specifically wanting to play Doom on the C64. I mean, he showed off Spectrum Doom, which is an even more impressive feat (the really impressive one would be on a computer that didn't have any graphics support, just text characters for the game art).

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Randalor posted:

Yeah, but he was specifically wanting to play Doom on the C64. I mean, he showed off Spectrum Doom, which is an even more impressive feat (the really impressive one would be on a computer that didn't have any graphics support, just text characters for the game art).

DoomRL

I know it's not what you mean, but it's still a really cool game. :ssh:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Randalor posted:

The C64 was astonishingly easy to program games for, so a C64 port wouldn't surprise me. The CPC 464 was notorious for making programmers really struggle, even basic things like sprites and scrolling constantly caused problems. On paper, the CPC 464 is not a bad machine, but the more actiony a game was, the worse its CPC-port tended to be.

Now that said, the ZX Spectrum port of Doom had me going "HOW!?!" in my mind at the loudest mind-volume you can imagine

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had my doubts about this going in since James is usually completely out of his depth with anything newer than the SNES. Plus how lazy he’s been in the last several years. But all and all it wasn’t a bad episode.

Seriously James. Shave your loving head, it’s painful to look at.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Oof my boy's hairline is really suffering these days.

People get old and I guess being a Youtube celeb makes poo poo like male-pattern baldness a bigger issue for him than it should be. Really though, he should just fuckin buzz it cus that proto comb-over or whatever he's doing right now ain't it.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Interesting that Stop Skeletons from Fighting likes the music in PSX Doom, while James doesn't seem to think so fondly of it. I can see both sides. The original music does seem to clash with the overall style of the game, and doesn't age well, but it does add a bit of flare for an otherwise dark game.

I really liked the episode, but I wish James didn't plainly say that Romero created Doom, even if it wasn't meant to be taken as fact.

Casimir Radon posted:

Seriously James. Shave your loving head, it’s painful to look at.

I noticed it too, but I honestly don't understand why anyone would care. People are indoctrinated into thinking that baldness is some kind of hideous curse that shouldn't be seen by anyone, when it's actually quite common, thus making it uhhh... normal? Yup.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 31, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I don't like to make fun of people losing their hair or anything but his current haircut is super distracting. Just gotta shave it off or wear a toupee or wig or hat or something

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
He has been wearing a toupee as the Nerd character for years now. He has been going bald for a long time. If you look closely, you can see it in a lot of his videos since it's not super high quality.

But honestly, it doesn't bother me. James should be able to style his hair however he wants, and honestly, more dudes should rock the power donut. Or the skullet. Or don't feel like the only thing they have to do is shave it off.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The more I think about it, his progressive hair loss and the result actually adds to his nerdiness.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I think he could rock the skullet ponytail that the guy from Phantasm had. It wouldn't be that bad on him.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I was fully expecting Daikatana to make an appearance. Good episode though!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I was fully expecting Daikatana to make an appearance. Good episode though!

Daikatana 64 definitely feels like it’ll be an eventual episode.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The hair ain't great, but I don't think it's specifically because he's balding, it's just in this weird middle ground that not a lot of people seem to go with, since it's more of a rigid hairline really far up rather than a fade. Since he's playing the Nerd, it could be charitable to say he's playing up the goofiness, but it's really hard to tell.

My main constructive critique is that his current all round look--shirt, cargo pants hair, visible tattoo--make him look closer to a try-hard dad half heartedly playing a geek rather than an actual "video game nerd." Which in fairness he probably is at this point. Ultimately if he makes good review videos, it doesn't matter very much, but it can be a bit distracting.

Anyway, it'd probably benefit his views if he either buzzed it or went with a more traditional geeky style, but it's whatever, he's doing his thing.

The Doom video is one of his better efforts recently, it's great when he has actual interest in the game.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah for all intents and purposes, id Software considers Doom 64 to be the real Doom 3 as of Doom Eternal and has a ton of references to it. The actual Doom 3 seems to be some kind of alternate timeline thing now. Which is impressive, since id Software didn't actually develop Doom 64, Midway did.
The Wikipedia article was just an interesting read fwiw: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_64

I'd been meaning to replay all the games on ultra violence, but got stuck in the third episode of Doom 1 due to lack of ammo for all the monsters. Time to just read a guide...

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Male pattern baldness is awful! Been marathoning his episodes in batches at a time and his hairline is the one thing that's slowly changing. It doubly hits because that's basically my situation too, except I'm losing my hair on my crown.

I wonder if he still keeps in touch with Kyle Justin. The last episode I watched in the marathon was the Christmas episode he did with Keith Apicary and apparently Justin built the set they demolished but after that he just disappears from those videos.

OT but some hopefully helpful advice: I had a severe allergic reaction to Rogaine switched over to nanoxidil for the last 2 years with a stimulation roller. Has worked very well with noticeable results. Also finasteride is generic now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m not balding so my opinion doesn’t really matter on this, but I think men should feel free to rock whatever they have. Skullets, comb overs, cheap toupees, whatever. Just telling them to just shave it always is boring and overdone.