Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
several friends
Apr 7, 2015

Washinton Post did a decent write up but I'm going to bold only the juicy bits

Washington Post posted:

LONDON — When two men claimed to have found a mysterious train filled with Nazi gold last fall in Poland, it all seemed too spectacular to be true. Skepticism of the alleged finding quickly overtook the initial enthusiasm.

This week, we may finally find out whether the Nazi train has indeed been found.

One year after claiming to have traced it, a team of 35 researchers that includes Piotr Koper and Andreas Richter will start digging for it Tuesday morning. A report they worked on found that soil anomalies could hint at the train's existence, but another study — by the AGH University of Science and Technology in Krakow, Poland — found no evidence for that. The latter study, though, concluded that a tunnel may be at the location where Koper and Richter will now put their theory to the test.

"The train is not a needle in the haystack — if there is one, we will find it," Andrzej Gaik, a spokesman for the search committee, told the news agency Agence France-Presse. The committee consists of volunteers rather than Polish officials, who refrained from participating in the search efforts.

Gaik remains hopeful: "If we find a tunnel, then that is also a success. Maybe the train is hidden inside that tunnel." The privately funded effort will be streamed live online and could be over within two days. Using special equipment, the search team is planning to drill three holes into the ground.

The story of a Nazi-era train with valuable art, gems and gold that disappeared at the end of World War II in 1945 has circulated for decades. It is thought to have been last seen near the city of Wroclaw, which is today part of Poland, and researchers and hunters have been unable to find the tunnel complex in which it is thought to be hidden.

Speaking to WorldViews on Monday, research committee member Christel Focken acknowledged that it was uncertain whether the team would find any gold. "Our geo-radar images show that there is a train with vehicles on it," Focken said, suggesting that the vehicles could be tanks.

The tunnel system carried the name "Giant" ("Riese"), which indicates the dimensions of the underground network. The Riese tunnel network was also supposed to house a bunker for Adolf Hitler, but there are varying accounts of whether construction was ever finished. The Hitler bunker was never found, but Focken and her colleagues hope that the tunnel might lead to it.

The Polish news site Wiadomosci Walbrzyskie reported last year that up to 300 tons of gold could be hidden on the long-lost train, if it exists.

Although such claims may turn out to be incorrect, some of the history of Nazi gold is well documented. Using jewelry from Jews and other prisoners who had been sent to concentration camps, the Nazis melted the metal into ingots. When Allied forces advanced at the end of World War II, the Nazis transported that gold back to Germany amid fears that it might fall into Soviet hands. Experts say that not all of it has been found.

I'm a newcomer to the subject but it seems like archaeologists have been busting balls over the very existence of a tunnel structure or train for decades and it's about time somebody stepped up.

the black husserl posted:

Shoulda linked the loving amazing New Yorker article on this in the OP. This poo poo is as close as you're gonna get to Indiana Jones IRL. A gigantic underground Nazi base with a mysterious purpose, sought out by what are basically the dudes from Stalker, who also believe a secret Nazi organization still exists to protect the secrets...
Read a bit but this is certainly worth your time if you're a junkie for stranger than fiction stories told good

Streaming
I can't find stream links but this guy's twitter seems goodThat guy is involved with the dig but apparently RT will be holding a stream from their on-air service

Some amateur drone footage of the surrounds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_6MdNYTpOk

The place where we find the gold

Poland for anybody who doesn't play Paradox games like I do

We're going to bust into an old Nazi train and find tons of gold and trinkets, probably nothing supernatural but who knows. Apparently the story of the gold train has existed as folklore for a long time in this area of Poland and I truly believe top secret poo poo is hidden in a journal in a safe in a carriage next to a Nazi skeleton with the swastika all ripped up and dirty maybe, the discovery of a lifetime is happening for certain in the next few days. Don't even try and stop this hype train is all I'm saying

several friends fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

#goldtrain

I wonder what Hitler's bong looked like?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
i clicked that guys twitter and was thoroughly confused OP dunno what to tell ya

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

he used blunts obviously he is OG

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

i clicked that guys twitter and was thoroughly confused OP dunno what to tell ya

#goldtrain

follow the money

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
theyre going to give it all to israel if they find it
this is not an antisemitic thing to say because its true

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
There's no gold train, sorry.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I... I'm having an existential crisis, I love trains but hitler is bad. :hitler:

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Is this the same Nazi gold train buried in Poland that they found a couple years ago?

Or is this a different Nazi gold train buried in Poland?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

why would the dumbfuck nazis bury it in the first place. did they mark it with an x at least

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Animal-Mother posted:

Is this the same Nazi gold train buried in Poland that they found a couple years ago?

Or is this a different Nazi gold train buried in Poland?

we will never know

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/could-nazi-gold-train-loaded-6455198#ICID=sharebar_twitter

quote:

Could Nazi 'gold' train be loaded with chemical weapons? Shocking new theory as hunt continues

Rather than being filled with gold and gems from the Second World War, a lecturer at a military university in Warsaw claims the train's cargo could be lethal

the goldtrain prospectors are goblins which adds some more coolness to this Nazi mystery

e: nm this article I was too stupid to actually read the date but drat these Nazi train stories blend together

several friends fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 15, 2016

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
This sounds fun, but hopefully those decades of soggy tunnel humidity didn't warp all the cool stuff.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Shoulda linked the loving amazing New Yorker article on this in the OP. This poo poo is as close as you're gonna get to Indiana Jones IRL. A gigantic underground Nazi base with a mysterious purpose, sought out by what are basically the dudes from Stalker, who also believe a secret Nazi organization still exists to protect the secrets...

quote:

Jurek’s biggest concern, and Boczek’s, was being followed. Both worried that they were being watched by a gang of clandestine agents known as “the guards.” Other treasure hunters voiced similar concerns. Piotr Koper, the man who claimed to have found the train at the 65th Kilometre, said that he feared for the safety of his family.

There is an extensive mythology around the guards. By most accounts, they are a global network of former Nazis, similar to the legendary ODESSA unit. ODESSA was allegedly founded at the end of the war in order to help former S.S. members avoid capture and escape to countries like Argentina and Brazil. Historians doubt whether ODESSA units ever existed. Boczek conceded that most of the original guards were likely dead, but he suspects that their secrets have been passed along to subsequent generations, who have been charged with watching over the old homeland and its buried treasures.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

its gonna own if they stick the shovel in the ground and then :gas: comes out and theyre all choking on live stream and then the camera turns sideways and goes to the ground cause the camera guy breathed it too and then everyones all passed out and it keeps streaming anyway cause he cant hit the button

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
Maybe they'll find the Amber room in there.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
they should destroy the gold it has bad vibes

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

gently caress da Mods posted:

they should destroy EAT the gold it has bad vibes

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Israel is demanding any gold be turned over to them

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

big shags posted:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/could-nazi-gold-train-loaded-6455198#ICID=sharebar_twitter

the goldtrain prospectors are goblins which adds some more coolness to this Nazi mystery

e: nm this article I was too stupid to actually read the date but drat these Nazi train stories blend together

thank god the ghost of rob ford is back to help

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
i wonder when rome is gonna get its statues back, whenever I look up the bust of a latin senator it's always at the berlin glyphthotek

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
or at least give rome all the busts of ancient german figures, drat

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
they're either going to find jack poo poo or something cool

/obligatory "I did nazi them coming" :smuggo:

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

Why is it always Nazis! :argh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Industrious tribe them nazis

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Moridin920 posted:

Israel is demanding any gold be turned over to them

Source?

quote:

"Our geo-radar images show that there is a train with vehicles on it," Focken said, suggesting that the vehicles could be tanks.

If they find some mint condition German tanks, they're almost worth their weight in gold to private collectors.

Haier posted:

This sounds fun, but hopefully those decades of soggy tunnel humidity didn't warp all the cool stuff.

The Nazis were pretty good at hiding their poo poo in locations where it would be protected from the elements. Salt mines were really popular, but if they picked a rise in the tunnel, and it's sealed up well, it could possibly have really good characteristics for preserving stuff. I'm always amazed how well preserved stuff is in bogs. Don't know how many tanks they've pulled from swamps in Russia and Poland that all they needed to do was hose them out, change the fluids, and they started up.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
actually now i'm wondering what would happen if you introduced a bunch of oxygen to a bog, like get a series of tubes with punctures along the side and an air compressor and really aerate that goop up

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

dookifex_maximus posted:

actually now i'm wondering what would happen if you introduced a bunch of oxygen to a bog, like get a series of tubes with punctures along the side and an air compressor and really aerate that goop up

Something that smells like a Magic the Gathering Convention?

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

the black husserl posted:

updated, this is dope.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts

gently caress da Mods posted:

they should destroy the gold it has bad vibes

they should give it to me for disposal

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
So if they find it do they keep the gold? Or do the jews steal it?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Microwaves Mom posted:

So if they find it do they keep the gold? Or do the jews steal it?

r/c/p dumbshit fuckface

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

just a joke but it seems plausible doesn't it?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i will make the jew joke next

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
The Polish/Russian mob is gonna be all over that poo poo. Or the government just might confiscate it immediately.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Moridin920 posted:

just a joke but it seems plausible doesn't it?

I'm picturing the last scene from Schindler's list where Oscar is lamenting how he could have saved more people, but in reverse.

"A bar of gold, I could have bulldozed 300 Palestinian homes with a bar of gold. . . a missing Monet! I could have JDAM'ed a school in the Golan Heights with the money from that painting!"

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Hopefully nobody shatters their wrists digging for that sweet, sweet Nazi gold. I thought we were right in the middle of finals for accelerated summer courses. Anyway, heres to treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
I think everybody knows Poland is full of neo-nazis

• Locked thread