Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

researchers that includes Piotr Koper and Andreas Richter

this time fukkin team coco went too far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Borneo Jimmy posted:

I think everybody knows Poland is full of neo-nazis

Came here to make this joke :(

Seriously, though, various groups demanding, or outright taking, anything they find seems plausible enough. Why are these dudes giving press conferences right before they might uncover stuff? Wait till you find it and move it somewhere safe and decide what to do with it before you start talking idiots!

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
these guys never find poo poo. its a string of old shipping containers filled with dirt

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 16, 2016

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

really if any European country deserves to find a hidden train full of nazi gold, it's Poland

even if their new government are batshit crazy

if they find anything at all while digging this will be cool as poo poo

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i wanna know more about the nazi train hives and did they rig up all the entrances to collapse like a loving blofeld lair or what

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Just curious, but is Geraldo Rivera involved in any way?

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

Looks like a pretty limited disaster zone when you consider that heavy forests offer just another obstacle to the strong but slow nazi undead guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_6MdNYTpOk

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I watched an episode of Expedition Unknown where they were looking for the gold.

They were in a forest and found some tunnels in the ground. Turned out they must have not been touched since the mid-40s. The walls were clearly carved by hand tools. The tunnels were totally bare and went for a while before they found a shuttered opening that was giving off radiation.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Moridin920 posted:

just a joke but it seems plausible doesn't it?

you got horned up lmbo

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

genesplicer posted:

Just curious, but is Geraldo Rivera involved in any way?

nah man he's done opening things

also gene did you see the ground penetrating radar and other equipment they're using?

it owns

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
it would fuckin own to find a whole shitload of old treasur e

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
My garage is chock full of nazi gold. Is it worth anything? It was already here when I moved in.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Orkin Mang posted:

these guys never find poo poo. its a string of old shipping containers filled with dirt

what if they actually find gold, and just say they dont? That way they keep it.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Microwaves Mom posted:

what if they actually find gold, and just say they dont? That way they keep it.

they already told everyone they were looking for it before they found it. lol.what u do is u go in before hand when nobodys looking wearing camo/crossdressing and take all the gold then come back with cnn and go, poo poo too bad looks like graverobbers beat us to it hundreds of years ago when ppl were named ptolemy

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Orkin Mang posted:

they already told everyone they were looking for it before they found it. lol.what u do is u go in before hand when nobodys looking wearing camo/crossdressing and take all the gold then come back with cnn and go, poo poo too bad looks like graverobbers beat us to it hundreds of years ago when ppl were named ptolemy

loving GERALDO! THAT SON OF A loving BITCH! It took the lateral thinking of Orkin Mang to blow this case wide open.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Seriously, though, various groups demanding, or outright taking, anything they find seems plausible enough. Why are these dudes giving press conferences right before they might uncover stuff? Wait till you find it and move it somewhere safe and decide what to do with it before you start talking idiots!

Guessing that they didn't have the capital themselves to get this search and excavation off the ground and had to get other parties involved who wanted a little publicity. Publicity can also get you even more backers in short order, and I would not be surprised if there were other teams out there closing in on the area and this crew decided to go for broke and get as much attention and money as possible to get digging before someone else gets there first.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It belongs in a museum.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i found the treasure

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Egbert Souse posted:

I watched an episode of Expedition Unknown where they were looking for the gold.

They were in a forest and found some tunnels in the ground. Turned out they must have not been touched since the mid-40s. The walls were clearly carved by hand tools. The tunnels were totally bare and went for a while before they found a shuttered opening that was giving off radiation.

And? And then what?

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts

Johnny Aztec posted:

And? And then what?

I bet it was Radon or something (that's usually found near coal country, if it was in a similar area)

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
mods pls change my name to cool nazi poo poo tia

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

And? And then what?

They left, like any sane person would.

I can't find any pictures of it online, but I would have said "gently caress this" as soon as I went in. The unnatural smoothness and pockmarks from being hand carved made it creepy. The tunnel kept going forever until they got to the closed off portion.

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

One eyed Wilhelm... *puffs inhaler*

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Corny Cornflake posted:

One eyed Wilhelm... *puffs inhaler*

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Here they come to steal my soul
(Gold train)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Exclusive video from the search

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3iFJpGJiug&t=30s

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

So I was listening to the last podcast on the left episode where they're talking about dulce base, which is supposed to be this massive underground complex full of government dudes and several kinds of aliens and all that noise and how it was dug with secret nazi technology we got from operation paperclip, and then I find this sweet poo poo.

Not gonna let this make me go crazy but man I love stalker and the dude running around with the dowsing rods in that New York Times article makes me so happy to think about. More of this type of poo poo please. On that note would anybody get down on a thread about The Principality of Sealand?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Paging Urban Smurf to this thread.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts

rebounded posted:

Paging Urban Smurf to this thread.

they're putting the expedition on hold, they're all very busy lately and the ground's cold

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

but it would destroy the precious archeological knowledge if looters just looted it

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I don't know how often nazi trains carried gold, but I bet they carried a lot of bombs, shells, grenades, ammunition, and explosives back then, so first and foremost I'd view it as a train full of those, all old and rusty. Also it'd be just like the nazis to booby trap their gold

so if they dig up a unexploded bomb from WW2 and it explodes and kills some soldiers or trucks or something and the identity of the pilot who dropped it can be established from old mission logs, do they get retroactively added to the pilots war score?

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
If I had 300 tons of gold, I'd do some sick poo poo with it. For sure.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I think I'd make a big pit of gold, and just dive in and swim around in the gold.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Another line of research to consider involves the assumption that the birth of a century is fixed upon the founding of the USA in 1776, thus Century One is 1877-1976 and Century Two is 1977-2076. Something having to do with a "white house", "freedom" and a medal (see image 2's Fort Sumter), palms on ribbon bars, in 1977, the birth of Century #2, First Lady Bird Johnson received the Pesidential Medal of Freedom.

How might Lady Johnson be connected with May 1913 or something relevant to Charleston?

In 1972, First Lady Pat Nixon traveled to Africa with former First Lady Bird Johnson,

I find it interesting that they delivered a speech at the inauguration of William Tolbert (born May 13, 1913). This African travel story about the 36th and 37th First ladies is a little more accessible to a 1981-based audience than a 68 year old magazine article. Furthermore, Tolbert is the grandson of Danial Frank Tolbert of South Carolina who sailed from Charleston to Monrovia on the Azor on April 21st, 1878 (Liberian Exodus).

Acknowledging the Edwin and Edwina reference in Abroad in America, means recognizing this individual: Edward Wilmot Blyden (3 August 1832 – 7 February 1912), the father of pan-Africanism, an educator, writer, diplomat, and politician primarily in Liberia. I think it's clear that some deep African/Charleston research was performed by Preiss.

Looking again at the verse,

Harken to the words:
Freedom at the birth of a century = Lady Bird Johnson, recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1977
Or May 1913 = an issue of National Geographic or the birth of William Tolbert in Africa
Edwin and Edwina named after him = Edward Wilmot Blyden
Or on the eighth a scene
Where law defended

The use of the word "or" would indicate some particular connection between the Freedom and May lines, so the focus on Lady Bird Johnson and her trip to Africa to meet Tolbert should lead the searcher to relevant thing or place in Charleston. Perhaps the Blyden line supports the May 1913 line by stimulating some geographic thinking about Liberia.

I'm beginning to think we must hearken to the words of Lady Bird Johnson delivering a speech in Liberia. I'm also beginning to think her name is important to picking up on the relatively obscure news of a murder scene on April 8th of 1873 when lighthouse keeper Andrew Johnson killed his wife. Since I've used the internet to reveal most all of these details, I'm still unsure how people would proceed to make each discovery in 1982. Anything is possible, but it seems only a Charleston resident would have the privilege of hearing the gory tale about a monster in their own backyard. I don't know what source would apply to paying attention to the events of the First Ladies. These days I only hear about Michelle Obama by watching Jimmy Fallon. Maybe Ed Sullivan reported on Pat and the Bird in 1971...(before my time)...but I don't really know what source would best be used in 1982. I'm Urban Smurf and I'm quite literally special in the weird way

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pretty loving convenient to find an entire train full of gold.

I think ISIS is involved somehow.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

spud posted:

Pretty loving convenient to find an entire train full of gold.

I think ISIS is involved somehow.

"Give me back my loving gold assholes!"

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

well gently caress i did nazi that coming

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I did Nazi that joke already !!!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy