Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Quick prompt for Quill's question to the guttermage

Quill - The Jail

"No!" He moans from behind the barrier, but his shoulders slump, it almost as if he knows somethings just happened! His eyes flicker nervously. "Y-You don't understand! He made us do it! We didn't know what for! Or why! He just said, take from them their black gold! He gave us this power, said it would make us strong! That we could do anything! You weren't supposed to show up! YOU RUINED EVERYTHING!" He swings his arm as if he was throwing something. But looks at his hand in disbelief. "NO! MASTER! WHY?" He reaches above his head as though to grab something, but his hand passes through the space where the thread used to be, and he freezes.

His mouth moves as though he can't believe it. But after some moments he looks back at you. With the eyes of a madman.

"DOn't you SEE? HE did this! He gives AND taKEs! AHAHA! A THIEF! A THief! Y-You'LL NEVER SEE HIM COMING!!! HHAHAAHAH!"

Whatever this guy was, sane was not on that list. He babbles more, talking about a form of smoke, and grasping hands, eyes like diamonds in the dark. In dispersed with cackling. Lots of cackling.

Whoever this Master guy was he's clearly left an impression... You're pretty sure this guy was a hell of a lot more lucid. Unhinged, certainly. But he kinda had it together. Could the cost of his failure be his mind? It's difficult to say. That's probably as much as you're getting out of him for now. At least until he calms down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Fre: -1 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +2 | Mun: +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

For her part, Voidblade remained silent during Elementa's speech, merely thanking her silently for not going with Opal's frankly ridiculous suggestion. It would make a poor impression if she were to interject the team's leader, after all. And hell, it's not like she wanted to either. That girl obviously had a beautiful way with words and coming up with plausible sounding speeches on the spot.

But Voidblade's silence did not mean that she was idle. She picked her poses and body language very carefully, carrying herself with confidence and giving an air of legitimacy to Elementa's words as she stood by her side.

She even gave Bugman a cheeky wink to fluster the aggravating windbag. Perhaps she could goad him into displaying his foolishness in a way too brash for the rest of the press and the public to handle.

Throwing a +1 Team to Elementa's Provoke action

quote:

Theantero: Rolling to Provoke Bugman
Theantero: !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot: Theantero, 9+2 = 11

I want to provoke Bugman to make him seem DUMB AND SO GODDAMN CRAZY whilst we are cool and calm. Perhaps have him say, accuse me of TRYING TO MIND CONTROL HIM whilst it's obvious to all that I just gave him a little playful wink or something :v:. Not saying it has to be that, but something similar.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 1, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Fre +1| Dan -1 | Sav +1 | Sup +2 | Mun +0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry

Rauri's pierce Quill's mask:

What do you want me to do?

Quill seems intent on hiding behind her wings when she notices you looking at her, and with her having the whole angelic nature, you have every right to think she would despise the sight of someone so demonically infused, but her words don't suggest that. Every time she speaks to you, she's complimenting you, wanting you to know how good you are. Maybe she's just a kid with unrealistic ideals. They do say the pure of heart are the closet to angels.

Her nervous babbling reveals more though, you notice she never says, we did well, always saying everyone else did well. She thinks she isn't good enough and madly wants the team's approval, yours most of all - for some reason. You're the one she keeps watching when she thinks you don't see, she seems fascinated by you, wanting to talk to you but running away before you can speak.

She feels like she is intruding on your time just talking to you, she needs you to take the lead in the conversation, because she's terrified you are just putting up with her. Reminds you of the actions of love sick teenagers on TV....

what do you intend to do?

Quill's determination to finish the mission is obvious and always puts it, and the team, first. But when she heard Om, you and herself were paired together, she seemed more purposeful than ever. She's desperate to be involved but never quite knows how to. She is still young, and seems very new to even just talking to people, she seems very much an outsider, and unsure how to act.

Her intentions with Daeva seem to be just a wish to be near her. Whenever you smile, even for a second, her face beams. You've really got her under your thumb, but she's defiantly hiding something from you. You can tell she's looking for an opportunity to get you alone, but it's as if she's dreading the idea at the same time.

How could I get Quill to help Daeva with a sketchy Magickal ritual in her Sanctum to scry more for whoever is behind the Guttermages.

Every other angelic or holy creature you have come across has hated the sight of you and Quill herself has revealed to the group she has a real angel living in her head. However much you want to believe that is up to you, but she has shown some kind of magic/spiritual know-how and she does keep mumbling to herself, in a kind of one sided conversation.
So you would think she would stay away from you, that this angel would warn her not to go near you. Yet here she is, always trying to tell you how great you are.

Ask her. She'd follow you anywhere. Quill seems quite gullible for someone who is supposed to have an angel in her head. She tries to hide it but she's desperate to impress you, to talk to you. You offer her time with Daeva, she'll rain check whatever she was already doing.

---

The mage continues to babble and my heart sinks, my wings falling low behind me, dragging across the floor as I walk away.
This guy probably wasn't all that bad, some rear end in a top hat in the sky has made him do stuff.

"Those who seek to become rich fall into temptation, into a trap, into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction."
"This, master guy, tempted them with power, and now it's not worked out, this master has taken this power away, along with his senses." I say it loud enough for Om and Daeva to hear.
"Precisely."
I sighed deeply. I'd have thought this would be over quick but if this master guy was still out there, something like this could happen again. And though I hated admitting it, we had been really lucky. We had worked hard, all of us, but this master guy, he'll expect retaliation now. But why didn't he before? Why wouldn't heroes come to stop the oil monster? If not us, then someone else? "You weren't supposed to show up?" What could that mean?
"This is bad, this...this is going to need more work..."

Quill walked out pondering the whole situation, as the cackles of the guttermage ringed in her ears.

---

I was grateful for Daeva's portals, I'd be using my wings so much they were starting to ache. It was good to be home. Hmm, that sounded nice in her head.
Then, all of a sudden, this girl burst into tears in front of us.

"Hey, hey, hey! It's ok!" I walked up to her, mumbling words through her sobs, taking some of the very heavy bags off her shoulders, dropping them carefully on the floor. She was cute and small, when she said she was the techician i was a bit surprised, but who am I to talk, looking so young with thousand of years worth of knowledge in my head, she might be similar.

I didn't know what to do and just put my hand on her arm comfortingly, pulling out a crumpled tissue out my pocket and handing it to her, to dry her eyes.

"Hey, it's alright, just calm down, you'll be OK. You're the technician huh? Hey, don't cry. Just breathe, everything is going to be alright. In, and out. Slowly." I was trying my best to calm her down, but she must have been standing here for hours, waiting for us. Poor girl.
"It is very sweet of you to try and help this poor girl regain her composure but you have more important things to be doing, such as writing down everything that guttermage told you before you forget something vital.

Om departed, which was a pain, because I wanted more than anything to get his advice on what to do about this string I'd seen, but he deserved a break, we all did. I wanted to say something to him, but this Samantha was an emotional wreck.
"Hey, it's going to be alright no need to worry. You're Samantha huh? I'm Quill, you don't have to worry, the team is all safe and sound, they'll be back here soon."

Daeva: "Hey Quill... I could use your help with something in my room, if you want to come along with me."

My heart skipped a beat. For a second, I wondered if I'd imagined her saying it, but there she was, staring at me. Hands in her pockets, waiting for my response, I was in shock. My mouth was open, my grip on the techi's arm went limp.

"No, no, no! No, this girl requires your assistance. You have work to do! You can not, must not go in that room with the abomination Quill, I forbid it!"

"erm....yeah...sure...gimmie a sec." My voice kept changing pitch and I cleared my throat but it didn't help. My heart was racing and this was all moving too fast.

I turned back to the techi, and took some deep breaths, more for me than her.

"Ok, so, the rest of the team will be here soon, I'm sure! Until then, You can set up all your gear somewhere, there's tonnes of space in this base, hell, I haven't had chance to explore it all but maybe there's a room for you. Oh and also, Opal, that's the robot-sorry-cyborg who's probably going to need your help when she gets here. Her mechanical arms busted, but i'm sure you can help her with that. Ok, I got to go."

I sped through my explanation to Samantha, and hoped she'd be ok, but I didn't want to miss out on a chance to actually talk with Daeva. Or maybe I did, I was so nervous. What did she want me for? What could I do?

"She's going to stab you through the chest, I know it. That or a magic circle, she'll have already set it up, the cunning sly devil. A banishment spell! That'll be what she's planning. Rip the two of us apart for good! Please Quill, for the love for all that is holy in this world! Don't Go! In! That! Room!"

I stepped into the room and closed the door behind me, hunching my wings together as tight as I could.

"God drat it!"

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: +1 | Dan: +1 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +0 | Mun: +0
Potential: 1/5 | Doom: 0/5 | Conditions: Guilty

I'm seldom rattled by stuff - comes with the territory of being a damned practitioner of the strange that pals around with Gods and Angels - but what that mage described? The Smoke? It's... Ahriman's a creature of smoke and fire. In a way, I am too, since I rapidly consumed my final cigarette after that particular conversation. I've got a pretty idea of who I'm going to see when I scry the master that was directing the lovely mages we fought. Not that it immediately matters, of course - I've got a bigger problem.

Namely, Quill. An important part of being a decent mage is truly knowing yourself - since the self is the the source of all True Magick. In the process of doing just that, I learned this: I'm poison. Don't get me wrong, poison can be useful - antibiotics, vaccines, you know the drill... but then again, the average poison can't drag you down to hell with it. I'm truly something special awful - and she's an angel, or at least thinks she is. I'm not sure the distinction matters in any case, since she clearly deserves better than me.

Gotta be casual about this. "Cool," I tell her once she's agreed, doing my best to lead the way without betraying any of my emotions. Ughhhhh, this loving sucks. It's kinda obvious she likes me, since I'm not an idiot. And like, don't get me wrong, she's not Elementa (those legs) but she's definitely cool, and I don't want to poo poo on her romantic dreams more than I have to. Can angels be lesbians? Isn't lesbianism sinful? If it isn't than selling your soul for magic shouldn't be, since I've definitely done both and would recommend one of them.

I've got a lot to think about on the way to my room, but I'm about to tip the confusion scales towards her as we reach my room. Unlocking the door (I always keep it locked), the pair of us are admitted to my absurdly under-furnished room. There's a mattress on the floor with a single wadded up blanket and a dirty pillow atop it, along with a dresser with a couple empty packs of cigarettes atop it. Aside from those, a few burn marks on the carpet, a bizarre door handle on the wall surrounded by chalk markings, and an ashtray near those burnmarks, it's a barren wasteland of a dwelling. Good thing for me it's not my actual room.

Once she's taken the squalor in, hopefully changing her mind about me, I motion towards said doorhandle, then open the door for her into my private dimension. Barren white walls are replaced by bright colors, the smell of cigarettes exchanged for that of fresh food and books, colorfully impossible plants and insanely cool furniture rather than thriftstore or scrounged bedding and blankets and clothes.

Only after we're fully inside my Sanctum do I speak up. "Sooo... just you and Om have seen this now. Magick's pretty cool sometimes, right?" Moving towards the improbable fridge that I've got in here, I open it to grab exactly the sandwich I want, along with a a pack of Camel cigarettes and a beer. You only live once, right? "Want anything?" She's got full run of the kitchen if she wants it, I might as well be nice about all of this, and it's not like I have to pay for any of it - this place replenishes itself. Thank Ahriman for the small benefits of selling you soul.

Speaking of, time to break her heart. gently caress. Laying down on the nearest couch, I glance over at her, my chestnut hair draped across my face to offer the slightest semblance of privacy for this. "So Quill..." I offer her a smile, knowing full well that she's going to over-respond to it. Maybe I just want to see her do it one last time. "Want to hear about how I got my magick?"

Daeva's Sanctum

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Why does she keep her room locked? It's not like someone from the team is going to steal anything...weird.

I enter nervously, trying to keep my wings firmly in place. I expect to find masses of books and potions, some kind of magician's lab from old TV shows.
What I find shocks me to the core.

A dirty mattress and an old blanket, shoved into a corner, surrounded by cigarette stubs and ashtrays...it's hardly a room.

I recoil slightly at the scene. It's far too similar to a few places I slept in when I had no where to go. The long nights surrounded by the stench of old smoke, shivering in the dark with rotten blankets, hoping that sleep would come, knowing it would only bring the nightmares again.

I swallowed hard, and stared speechless at Daeva. Was this all the AI had given her? She deserved better than this! I moved to speak in outrage for this awful treatment against her but Az butted in.

"Child, wait. She is a mage. Nothing is as it appears."

She moves to a door handle and instantly the room changes. Light and colour fills the air and my senses explode. I smile in amazement as the rotten room fades away into nothing, and her true home reveals itself.
My shock is evident, mouth agape and eyes wide. This magical place of hers was astounding, I felt as if I couldn't take it all in. Beautiful furniture, curious plants and books upon books upon books, it was a veritable Aladdin's cave of wonder.
I smiled, this was the real Daeva. This is where she was herself, this was her home. Absolutely stunning, it matched her perfectly.

She mentions that only I and Om have seen this place, and I suddenly feel like I'm stepping on hallowed ground. This isn't just her home, it's her personal space, and she had let me in. What had I done that made her feel like she could allow me such permission? I mean, I felt honoured. She didn't have to be so nice, so kind. Maybe she knew I would give this place the respect it deserves, and not go gossiping about it to anyone else.

"Yeah, very, very cool...." I say in amazement. I'd never known magic could do anything like this, and she did it with such ease and grace.

She pulls some food and a beer out of the fridge. along with a pack of cigarettes from somewhere, and asks if I want anything. I instinctively scrunch my nose at the sight of Daeva with another pack of those filthy things. I want to tell her to stop having so many cigarettes, it can't be doing her insides any good, but I think better of whinging at her, especially when she'd asked me to come here to help.

"No, thanks. I'm good." I say, meekly.

I feel stuck to the spot, I haven't moved since she changed the scenery, and I'm so focused on not letting my wings knock anything over. I realise I must look like a stupid idiot, wings bunched up, holding my arms together, eyes wide, nervously waiting. She lays out on a couch nearby and stares at me with her beautiful eyes, her hair falling ever so slightly across her face.

Then she says my name and smiles at me. I can't help but relax. My wings soften and stretch out slightly, and a smile spreads across my face. It's so good to see her smile. Makes everything better knowing she's OK. I don't know why it effects me so much. Just one little smirk and my knees go weak and my heart pounds faster.

"Want to hear about how I got my magick?

"Of course! Er I mean, that is, if you want to tell me."

I blink a few times and get my focus back. She's going to tell me about her magic, this is a big deal. I know its demonic in nature. Az could sense that a mile away. Does she know I know?

"Quill, do not over react here. These stories are either extremely violent or upsetting in their natures, possibly both. Be calm and listen closely, I need every detail."

I perch on the edge of the arm of the couch she's set herself up on. Take a deep breath and wait patiently to hear her story in full. More than anything I just want her to tell me the truth. If she tells me the truth, maybe I can help.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Mosh party in the Press Pit!

Bugman's eyes bulged, he looks like he was about to bark. He eyed Elementa venomously. Whirling around as a few of the reporters chuckle.

"You must think you look very clever with your honey'd words. BUT WE THE PEOPLE SEE THE TRUTH! We don't need to believe the lies you're spouting." He pointed a finger threateningly at Elementa, waggling under her chin. "CHILDREN like you are NOT fit to be doing this! It's DISRESPECTFUL to the REAL heroes!" He looks around at the crowd who's wondering where he's going with this. "Our TROOPS!"

Someone laughs, back of the group. Bugman whirls around. Beads of sweat popping up on his forehead. He turns around in time for Opal to start whispering to Elementa and Voidblade to wink at him. "You drat psychic! What did you do TO THAT INNOCENT MAN?! RELEASE HIM FROM YOUR GRIP YOU-!" Someone puts their hand on his shoulder. He jumps and looks back into the face of on of the reporters.

"Time for you to go home, mate. Before you have a heart attack, eh?" He mummers, a certain calmness cutting through the rage like a knife. Bugman looks about the crowd hurriedly. Realising how he looked. Realising he'd been played like a two bit piano, and he didn't like the sound he made.

"...You'll pay for this. Mark my words. You'll pay!" Bugman scampers off, a good bunch of the press following him to take pictures and ask him questions. Hes become the news story. Veteran reporter outwitted by a bunch of kids. Ha. Suck it!

The man in the hat glances at you, a knowing smile playing on his lips.

"Nice going kid, you speak pretty well... Hardly surprising though. Hehehe, well you've probably got places to be. Oh, before you go, here." He hands you six of his business cards. They simply read 'Strider'. "Make sure you give them to the rest of the team. After all, you never know when it could come in handy."

Then he turns and walks off into the crowd, they just seem to part for him, and he's gone. What weird guy. Still though, you totally made that TV host look like an arse. Of course he'll be giving his own spin on the story. But there's enough camera phones about to show what really happened. That he got owned by a bunch of teenagers.

[There's still a few reporters about, but you've pretty much done what you came to do, and looked good doing it. What do you do now?

- - -

Basically back at base

Samantha takes the tissue offered and sniffles, nodding at Quill's advice. She seems grateful though. She even flashes a shy little smile. She doesn't say much, obviously you're pretty busy, but she does look a little less stressed!

Om's hanging gardens

Om tries to relax a little bit. But it doesn't take long for his phone to start buzzing. Oh geez, only one person that could be!

Yep, its... Your Uncle!

He congratulates you at first on a successful mission. Then drops that and immediately starts talking about how bloody dangerous that way. You could have sent your team flying, never mind the monster! His rant, is long, and painful. Do you grin and bear it? Or do you fight back?

Uncle's got a bone to pick with you Om. What are you going to do about it?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Fre: -1 | Dan: 0 | Sav: +1 | Sup: 0 | Mun: 3
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

It was so obvious I had won the battle. I didn't know what was better, seeing Bugman make an absolute fool out of himself in front of everyone or the guy coming up and complimenting my speaking abilities. I was wary taking the business cards from him, but he didn't seem like he was too bad a man. After all, he did calm down Bugman. I would've just let him blow a gasket.

"Oh my god, Fiero." I muttered to myself, just remembering the plans I had made before. Whipping out my phone, I sent a quick text over to Fiero before turning back to Eva and Opal. "Hey, I was supposed to go meet a friend before we had to fight that giant oil monster, so I'm just gonna go quickly see them. Meet you back at base?"

I didn't give them much time to respond before I turned my legs back into rubber and bounced away. Destination, Cyclone Cafe. Hopefully, Fiero got my text. Will he be mad? He should understand, he's a hero too. I had responsibilities that I needed to follow through. At the same time, I couldn't help but feel a little bad. It wasn't like I could spend much time with him. I had to head back to base.

Take deep breaths. Deeeep breaths...

Text to Fiero posted:

Hey Fiero! Sorry about standing you up! Our team had to go on a mission. Can't spend much time, but want to have a quick meetup just to catch up? See you at Cyclone Cafe!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Merely nodding to Elementa, and giving a polite but not tacky bow towards the last few reporters, Voidblade too absconded from the scene (taking care to only jump onto the roofs when no cameras were in sight. No point in revealing unnecessary info, after all!). Might as well check back at base. See if anything new was up. And if there were any cupcakes still left.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Opal

"That went great! Nice!" I says, beaming at Elementa, as the reporters disperse. "So, back to the...Backstage?" I wonder. "We need a clever name for the base that goes with our team name." I frown a bit at Sarah. "You sure that's safe? Don't need backup?"

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Fre: +3 | Dan: +1 | Sav: +0 | Sup: +0 | Mun: -1
Potential: 2/5 | Burn: 0 | Conditions: Afraid, Guilty, Angry

It was about 15 or so minutes later when the phone rang. Being that he was face down into the covers, it took OM one or two false starts before he finally got a hand on it.

"Jaggy here." He said, trying to force the fatigue out of his voice. And failing.

"Ayyyy Jaggy let us talk!" It was Uncle Gao. OM jolted himself awake, oh dear, he wasn't looking forward to this.

"Uncle! Heeeey er, how are things?"

"Very good veeeeery good! I was just thinking right now 'I am so proud of my nephew finishing his first mission!'"

"Eeer yeah, yeah I think-"

"And then I look out the window and go 'Oh, that's a HUGE psionic anomaly I see from my store window and every slightly occular hero in the city probably felt it' and I think 'oh I would bet my right thumb who caused it.'

OM groaned, he knew the moment he saw it that he was really going to get it in the neck, "What did I say about overexerting yourself Jaggy?"

"Oh Uncle, it was the only way I could think of stopping it! It was either that or just let it run around loose some more. It's not like I caused huge property damage this time surely?"

"I had an entire line of warding charms hung up for a discerning costumer Jaggy, over a hundred in fact and they ALL burned up from the backlash! Don't tell me that was just a psionic hiccup. Now i'm an entire shipment short and somebody is going to have to come and do some overtime and help me replace them!

"Aww Uncle! I was planning to do superthings with my superfriends! I had movie nights planned and all sorts of stuff!"

"Jagganath"

"Oh alright I'll come in when I can, but it's gonna have to be tomorrow I've got a debriefing to attend to. Whilst I am here is there anything else you want me for?"

"Jaggy you know that my sister has been asking about why you haven't come home lately? You've been visiting even less then Anjali now and she's worried to bits about it."

OM put a hand to his face, oh gods now mum and dad were getting in on this too. "I'm superhero now Uncle, I can't just drop ship at a moments notice to see me mum, the league gets really testy about things like that." There was a silence. "Okay okay I will pop in and see her tomorrow as well it's the least I can do."

"Allllrighty, I'll be sure to tell her you've promised. And Jaggy?"

"Yes Uncle?"

"Be careful. Don't overcook yourself like that again alright? It will make all your hair fall out if you do, I should know, I barely have any of mine left!"

Okay maybe OM admitted it was a little funny. "Thank you Uncle, I'll see you tomorrow then"

"Goodbye!" *Click* and the conversation was done. OM sighed and flopped back onto the bed.

"I should find my trunks whilst I'm here." Draws started opening on the over side of the room. "I am sure I packed them."

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

"That is a discussion that we need to have as a team." I warned Opal over the communicator as I stood by Cyclone Cafe, waiting for Fiero. "I'll be fine, it's not like I'm meeting up with a supervillain or anything." Granted, saying that over the communicator for everyone to hear probably wasn't the best thing, but I had already gone a considerable distance by the time I had heard Opal and this was really the only way to communicate with her other than my phone. Also, I needed to pass the time waiting for Fiero somehow.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Oi, you better not", the communicator crackles to life with Eva's voice, clearly amused, "Dad is probably already crazy paranoid about you lot. Meeting with villains would be a good way to get a shiv in your windpipe. And I like you enough that that would make me sad~"

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Hearing the communicator crackle to life again, I had to suppress myself from laughing loudly once I heard Voidblade.

"If he does that, I'll just turn my throat to steel." I jokingly respond, unable to hold back my laughter anymore through the communicator. "You know, Eva, at first I thought you were this highly trained superhero person who was just so much more capable and above us. I'm glad to see that you aren't like that. You're capable, but you're also sorta normal. Well, about as normal as you can get with a father like yours." Talking to them was certainly help passing the time waiting for Fiero. I was half tempted to just ditch him again to hang with them. Then again, I did ditch him before.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Haha, I try!"

"..."

A little bleep in Elementa's ear signifies a private transmission.

"...Hey, Sarah? Thanks."

Right, Elementa is telling me Who I Am and has influence over me. Voidblade is not rejecting because it's basically what she wants to hear. The GM is thus to shift my labels accordingly.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

"No, he's worse!" I joke with Sarah. Really, she'll be fine, no worries there. I listen to her and Eva getting all chummy and feel kind of sick. Even if Voidblade isn't all superior, she's still controlling with no sense of boundaries. I feel like my skin crawls extra to make up for having less of it.

Well then. "Okay, team! What's the rest of you up to? Party time?"

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 5, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Alright then - here goes nothing. "Have you ever wanted something so badly you'd do stuff you normally wouldn't?" I look towards Quill, serious and unblinking, wanting to make sure I know exactly how she's going to react to everything I'm going to tell her. Leaning back against the couch, I've got my head proper up on the back, hands folded into my sleeves like I'm a magician preparing some sleight of hand. "And I'm not talking little stuff, I mean..."

poo poo, I'm so garbage at explaining this. The only people I've told are Opal - after I got really depressed one day and, I guess, tried to cheer her up and myself up with it - and Doctor Weird, though he'd guessed everything already. Let's start over.

Running a hand through my hair, I take a different and more direct approach this time. "Listen Quill... I get it. You, uh, think I'm cool I guess." More than that, but let's have some tact. "But I'm hosed. I traded my soul for magick in a past life - by the way, reincarnation's apparently real for some people at least - in order to do something, something I can't remember."

I haven't even mentioned the worst part yet. "To a Demon Lord, naturally - it's why my magick's so destructive. He's named Ahriman, and yeah... he's coming to collect. Soon." Whatever, it is what it is. I could have died of childhood cancer, seventeen and change years isn't so bad in comparison. Think I may be doing a bit worse than dying, but there's nothing I can do. Ughhh, way to get distracted Hyeon, finish your story! "Until he does, I want to help the rest of the team out, sooo speaking of..."

Pointing towards the door with the hand I'd previously been using to fidget with my hair, I've look so earnestly at my angelic companion. "If that's not going to bother you, I could use your help with a ritual to track down who was behind those Guttermages earlier... since I think Ahriman might be linked somehow. If it does bother you, I can let you out of here, no biggie. Just please don't tell anybody."

Do I ask her? I might as well. "It's, uh, well - you're an Angel, right?" If anyone can save me, it's gotta be her. "Do you know if there's anything I can do? I mean, I didn't agree to it, a past-life of mine did - I'm not totally hosed, am I?"

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you and ask if they honestly think there’s hope for you. If they say yes, mark potential or clear one box of your doom track. If they say no, mark a condition or mark your doom track.

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

"Have you ever wanted something so badly you'd do stuff you normally wouldn't?" Daeva stares up at me and I'm at a loss. I feel awkward under her gaze and nod slightly. I guess I wanted my freedom badly enough to runaway, does that count? "And I'm not talking little stuff, I mean..."

She shifts in her seat, looking serious but a little lost as to how to start what looks to be a complicated issue.
I listen calmly to everything she says and hear Az hum in understanding as her story unfolds. Then something strange happens. She mentions this demon's name, Ahriman, and my wings twitch. It's odd, they've never done that before like a spasm, an electric shock coursing through the feathers, making them shift. It only lasts a second but it feels peculiar and puts me on edge. What was that all about? I try not to let it effect me and focus on Daeva's words, holding my tongue as best I can, and wait until she's finished.

"Do you know if there's anything I can do? I mean, I didn't agree to it, a past-life of mine did - I'm not totally hosed, am I?"

I shake my head immediately and move to speak but Az gets there first and it's almost impossible to talk over him.

"I knew it! I knew there was more to her than meets the eye! She is an abomination just as I had suspected! And a pawn of the scourge, Ahriman no less!"

I hold up my hand slightly to Daeva, not wanting her to think I'm ignoring her. Turning to the side, wincing at Az's rage inside my head, I put my other hand to my head from the slight pain his very loud words strike against me.

"Az, please I'm trying to have a conversation here-"

"I had imagined some foul occurrence but never the selling of a soul such as this! Damned! Damned from her very conception and a dangerous tool!"

I could tell Az was not far from unleashing one of his rare but aggressive rants. I spoke over him, and gave Daeva the best response I could.

"You aren't totally hosed. I'm no expert, but demons, from what Az tells me, are destined to fall. It is in their nature to fail. There's always something we can do." I want to give her hope, I want her to know we can do this, and I really think we can. Especially since, from Az's ravings, my own little angelic friend might know something about this creature.

"It doesn't bother me, not in the slightest."

"Child, what are you doing!? We must stay away from - "

"Baxter." I say it loudly, turning my head to the side and holding my hand to Daeva again. I must look like a pyschopath, trying to have two conversations at once, but I think Daeva gets that Az and I are having an interesting discussion.

Az took a moment to relax. I didn't bring up Baxter often but when I did it was the final straw. Back when I was seven, I saw Terry Baxter picking on a little boy in the playground. I wanted to do something about it but Az told me not to, that it would draw too much attention to me. For weeks afterwards I cried for not having done the right thing. Knowing I had stood by and watched bad things happen because I was afraid for myself. I was inconsolable, and Az admitted that he had overstepped a boundary. Az agreed he would only advise me on what I should do, but it would ultimately be my decision how I lived my life. I mention Baxter and the discussion is over.

"....this will take a lot of work, and will probably end in our death."

I nodded in agreement. "I understand that Az, now if you'd let me finish talking."

"My apologies, please, continue."

I lowered my hand.

"Sorry Daeva, he gets excitable at the mention of demons." I took a deep breath, and spoke slowly, thinking hard and knowing not to give false hope, only speak the truth.

"Thank you for telling me, I know that couldn't have been easy. I won't tell anyone and this doesn't bother me. You obviously didn't choose this, you didn't get a say. And this demon lord, isn't going to be collecting anything, because we are going to stop it. It will take time I'm sure, we will have to figure out how it was able to trap your soul this way, and how we are going to take it down for good. But you aren't, as you keep saying, hosed!...Not while I'm here. I will converse with the Seraphim tonight about the subject, hopefully they can shed some light on our problem. But their messages can be quite...complicated."

I ponder for a moment and stare at Daeva, wondering what she's thinking, and where I can start in the process of saving her soul. An ingenious little idea pops into my head.

"Oh Quill, please no! This abomination could very well one day turn into your enemy, your nemesis. She's a ticking time bomb and you want to give her power over you!"

I smile, full of joy and resolve.

"In the meantime..."

I reach around to the top of my wings, deep in the folds near my shoulder blades. I stroke the thick mass of feathers and pick the sturdiest, the strongest of the bunch. Closing my eyes tightly, taking a deep breath, I rip the quill from the wing.
It's agonising, but the sharp pain turns into a numb loss quickly. I try and hold my own, and pretend it was just a small sting rather than an ache that's going to last a while. I present the strong, healthy feather before her and smile softly.

"...I want you to have this. I don't give them out lightly, and if you lose it I'm not giving you another one. But, well, you might find a use for it. Maybe in a spell, or something. I don't know what an angel's feather would do to a demon, but I doubt it's something they'd enjoy."

Before she can even think about refusing my gift, I take her hand and place the feather in it softly.

"Maybe it might even protect you. Az told me they have a kind of power even when they aren't connected to me anymore." I just smile at her, hoping I've done enough to convince this beautiful woman I'm on her side. I swallow hard and take a good step back, trying not to let my feelings get the best of me. I have a mission now, I don't intend to fail.

"So...what was this ritual you wanted a hand with?"

Yes to the question of if there is hope for you!

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 4, 2016

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Drop the Base

Opal and Voidblade make it back the the Base. Man, you guys really need to name this thing. As you walk in you're immediately greeted by the sight of a young girl, an AI name badge pinned on her chest. She glances at Voidblade with the red puffy eyes of someone who's been crying. Seeming to take her in entirely, before she flicks over to Opal and her eyes go wide.

"O-OH!" Her hands jump to her mouth in shock, she scampers over and immediately takes Opal's arm. Hurriedly checking over the break. "O-O-Oh gosh, that looks bad! We need to get it fixed right away! Oh? Ew! Sentient oil. Yeah, we're getting rid of that." She looks up and catches your eye and immediately flushes. "....H-Hi.... I-I'm S-S-S-Sammi.... I-I'm the t-tech..." she stammers. It's almost like a switch was thrown, one moment she seemed in control, then the next she goes all shy and shaky. Still though she wants to help it seems! She points towards the kitchen where a large collection of tools have been set up. Looks like she wants to work on you.

What do you do?

Om meanwhile sinks into the pool, it feels good man. Plus it's a good chance to reflect on what's been going on. Things have been getting pretty heated magically. Something bigger is going on. Those Guttermages didn't have the raw power to pull off a stunt like that. They've got to have been pacting with something! The question is... what? And Why? What use would stealing oil be? And what about what that guy said back at the lock up? 'You weren't supposed to show up'? Were they not expecting anyone to try to stop them? Or where they hoping that another hero would show up?

Om - Any theories?

Inside the Sanctum Daeva & Quill walk up to the ritual circle. What are you going to do? What are you hoping to find out? It's got to feel good that Quill thinks you've got a chance, right?

- - -

Cafe Le Rouge

A quick barrage of text pass between the two of you, and It barely takes any time at all for Fiero to show up, he arrives with that usual casual grin that just seems to make Elementa go weak at the knees. Even more so when he brushes his hair out of his face and hits you with a full on dazzling smile. You can already feel your heart hammering in your chest.

"Good day to you, my lady." He takes your hand and kisses the back of it. He gives you the smoulder with a wink thrown in for good measure. "I heard you were in the midst of a deadly battle. If only I had been there to assist! No evil would dare to stir within the city at such a paring!" He laughs. "What say you? How about you and I form a little team of our own? Maybe it'll give us a little bit more time for coffee."

Elementa - Is he asking you out? IS HE ASKING YOU OUT?! WHAT DO YOU DO? WHAT DO YOU DO!!!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Tranquility reigns supreme in the heated pool, as OM digests the facts of today, headphones plugged in to the jams on full blast.

In his right hand, a ball of water floated just above his palm, held still by invisible forces. (It never hurts to keep in practice and Uncle always said that a telekinetic that can hold water is well set to hold anything. The trick is not to try to 'hold' the water but to shape the air around it.)

In his left hand, a mug of tea held in firmly in hand because if he gets tea into the pool he'll get in trouble for sure. A small knob of butter was dissolving in the warm liquid.

Voidblade was right, this is perfect.

But to the matter at hand, what exactly did he do today? He stopped a bunch of gutter-mages from stealing oil from cars. Okay sure he knew that already he was there and everything, made a oil monster explode and everything but what did he actually really prevent. People getting hurt by the monster is a side effect of anytime some bugger tries some half-baked magical plot but there was the one point about the 'crime' that continued to bother him and it was Why oil? If he was trying to steal car radios or something, or strip the metal off to sell for salvage rates that would make a sort of warped kind of sense but what were they going to do once they stole a bunch of used car oil? No this isn't working let's try a different tact.

I am, a gutter-mage, let's say I got a hold of something hot from somewhere (or someone) and for some reason that would only make sense to me, my friend and I used that power to steal oil from cars. After I stole all that oil, then what? Do I, rampage around town with a big monster? No it takes a special kind of nutter to want to cause chaos for the sake of causing chaos, most people who do that either want to cause a distraction for some other crime or they are striking out against the system. He stopped, and thought about that sentence, 'a distraction for some other crime', yes... Yes Quill did say someone or something gave them those powers that they were using, and if you were planning something and needed a distraction what better way to accomplish it then to give some barely coherent idiots with an insane grudge some real occult firepower and letting them loose.

What those two small fry wanted to accomplish in the grand scheme of things doesn't matter. Maybe we really were supposed to be there. And not somewhere else.

"Sammi!" Om called from the pool. "Does this place have WiFi? I need to check something real quick."

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 8, 2016

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

He made it! I didn't look like a total idiot. The next thing I knew, I was swept up in a world of emotions. Embarrassment, happiness, and self-consciousness. So much happened in such a short time, I had forgotten that I still had my communicator on. Right now, I was focused on Fiero. His charming smile, the fact the might even like me and want to be in a team with me? I lost my voice for a moment as I tried to take it all in.

"I-I would love to be in a team with you." I started, trying to gain a bearing on my thoughts. "B-but I'm the leader of The Prestige. I can't just ditch them. I-If I find the time, we could do some duo action, though? Would you be ok with that? Or you could do stuff with our team if you want!" Oh god, I didn't have time for that! I didn't want to just reject him, though. I mean, I do like him and he offered to do something cool. I could learn from him as well. The team could as well.

"O-oh yeah, do you know this guy called Strider? He came to us after the press interviews and gave us his business card. You know what he does? S-since you are a established hero and everything." It was something that was on her mind ever since they got his card. Plus, it gave her time to calm down and really try to see why he offered to work in a team. She hoped it was because he liked her, but she had to be careful.

<jimmydalad> I'm going to pierce the mask of Fiero
<jimmydalad> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> jimmydalad, 7+3 = 10

What are you really planning?
How could I gain Influence over you?
How could I get you to openly support our team and like me?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

With a stretch and a yawn, Eva opened the door to her quarters. Man, it was nice to know that at the end of the day, there was a bed actually worth a drat waiting for you. A luxury she had rarely had. A change of clothes later, and a quick trip to the armory to drop of the vibroblade (who would have thunk, dragging the thing across a road was not very good for the blade or the engines), and she was ready for some well deserved R&R. Whistling a happy tune, she made her way towards the bathroom in her bathing suit. Turns out somebody else had had the same idea. Good old Om, in some strange sort of meditative trance. Hah, might as well.

"Heyy Ooom~", she said in a overtly exaggerated, 'seductive' voice quite clearly meant to be humorous "Room for one more~?"

She drops into the hot tub with a little laugh and a splash without bothering to wait for an answer.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Whatever Quill is constantly talking to - she calls it Az, obviously - does NOT like me, and I cannot really blame it. She does though, and she's trying to reassure me about everything. And... I mean, being cynical is part of the job for me, but I really do believe her when she says it doesn't bother her - that what I did doesn't bother her. Everybody else that knows kinda does. I mean, it's like when someone's sick for a long time - you know you want to be there for them, but eventually normal aggravation with inconvenience starts to outweigh sympathy. It's sadly natural.

But she's going to keep it secret for me. Not only that... she even thinks we can beat Ahriman (she's wrong but it's nice to hear)! It's obviously not all talk either, because suddenly she's talking about communing with her Angelic Bosses and wow uh also ripping a feather out of her wing and I'm wracking my brain trying to come up with if it's some angel thing or if she's freaking out and I need to stop her. It's the first, as it turns out - in the best possible way. Quill's feather is a gift for me, and I instrinctively know how valuable it is... I'd have to be a total idiot not to. Why does she have to be so nice about all of this?! She's supposed to not like me anymore!

"Wow," I can't help but murmur appreciatively when she puts it in my hand. It's impossibly light, and soft, and she mentioned me possibly using it in conjunction with my magic? "Oh Quill, there's no WAY I ever use this as a reagent. My magick... I don't want to pervert your gift with it." It's what would happen. Instead, I place it in my right coat pocket, along with my lucky lighter I never use. Maybe she's right about it providing protection, maybe she's wrong, it doesn't matter. I really am kinda stunned by the gift, and I'm going to want to look at it later - and besides, I can use all the luck I can get.

Oh right, the ritual. "Follow me~" Walking towards the double doors that lead into the "outside" of this place, I let her catch up before I open them - gotta have some showmanship afterall. I mean, it's kinda cool out here... I've got a porch, an ashtray, a backyard with a few trees with lavender leaves that blow in an impossible wind arranged into a circular grove, and in the center of it all a bizarre stone slab, marked with all sorts of runes that I think only I can interpret. Oh yeah, and I put a wind chime up a couple days ago, so that's making some noise too.

Walking out towards the center while she takes it all in, I roll up my sleeves and prepare to get this show on the road. "Basically, I'm going to take everything I know about the Guttermages we fought and the monster they made, narrow down common sympathetic links... and then follow them. The nastiest one should be our culprit. This place doesn't truly exist in spacetime, it's perfect for it." I know this place is connected to Ahriman too, since it comes from my magick and obviously it has to be, but equally obviously I'm not going to call attention to that.

As for her part in it, I'm going to shout it over the clamor of the energy I'm starting to gather up, the sound of my coat and hair flapping about in the flows of arcane energy I'm conjuring up. "I need you to watch carefully! If it looks like I'm losing control, break my concentration, but otherwise watch and see if you notice things I don't!"

When you call upon the resources of your sanctuary to solve a problem, say what you want to do: Track Down who was behind the Guttermages
The GM will give you one to four conditions you must fulfill to complete your solution:
❑❑ First, you must _______________________
❑❑ You’ll need help from ___________________
❑❑ You and your team will risk danger from ____________________
❑❑ The best you can do is a lesser version, unreliable and limited
❑❑ You’ll need to mark one box on your doom track
❑❑ You’ll have to obtain ___________________

Rauri fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 8, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Heyy Ooom~", she said in a overtly exaggerated, 'seductive' voice quite clearly meant to be humorous "Room for one more~?"

The water bubble burst, the music was suddenly shut off, and he had a firm death grip on his tea as all his built up concentration came crashing to a halt. OM very quickly started to smooth down his suddenly frizzy hair with his free hand, whilst shuffling around the edge of the pool to sit opposite to Voidblade.

"Gah! Eva! Please don't do that I mean yes you are welcome and errm and yes." Stop, take a big draft of tea, recollect his discombobulated thoughts and shunt away the ones that perked up at the sight of his friend in a bathing suit. Such thoughts were bad for the chakras after all. After a long moment of which inner tranquility was wrested back from impure thoughts, he nodded at his friend. "So ermm, did you win? Are we stuck with the name Millennial Defenders? Are the others back too?"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Eva smiled widely at Om's clear sheepishness. She had always found that trait of his particularly adorable.

"Hah, Millenial Defenders? Nah, Elementa took care of that, and with style too. Like, you really ought to watch the recording of that later on, a prime example of somebody thinking on their feet. You'll get to see good old Bugman have a meltdown on TV as a bonus. But yes, we're 'The Prestige' now. Got sweet calling cards from The Strider too and all." She laughs a little laugh. "I wonder what Dad will think about me being on TV. Probably nothing good."

Eva scratches her cheek for a bit. "As for the others, Elementa went to see some friend of hers, but the rest of us ought to be present, unless Opal and Daeva have left since you three got here."

"But yeah, that's the gist of it. What about you?", Eva grins at Om, "Did I interrupt something? Why are you playing with your balls all alone here in the bath?" She laughs at her little joke a bit, and inches a bit closer in a way that was obviously meant to be noticed.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"N-no, nothing like that."

Om tried very hard to keep the surface thoughts in his head from broadcasting to the other telepath in the group whilst he flexed all of his willpower to drive through his growing embarrassment, the water felt hotter already. He lent back away from the slowly encroaching Voidblade. "I-I was waiting for Daeva and Quill since this was, their idea and everything but, they haven't finished doing magic stuff in their room yet."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Oh, 'magic stuff'? Yeah I bet." Eva snickers a bit, "Hey. Got any of that tea to spare?"

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
The Ritual Circle

For a rite like this, the hardest part was already over, now you just needed to try and follow the strings back where they lead. But somehow it's made easier. Could it have something to do with that 'thread' that Quill was talking about? Well anyway, the things you need are thus.

- You’ll need to mark one box on your doom track
- You’ll need help from Someone who's seen the thread of power you're trying to follow (oh hey there Quill)

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Om looked over to the gently bubbling kettle near the pool. He had brewed some for Quill and Daeva but he probably had enough for an extra guest "Erm, help yourself Eva."

Okay this is fine, this conversation seems to be leaning away from flirty questioning, Om calms down just a little.

"Do you want me to pour you a cup?" Well it's only polite to ask.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 8, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 1/5 | Doom: 1/5 | Conditions: Guilty

With Quill on hand and the knowledge of that String she mentioned (a powerful sympathetic link no doubt) forefront in my mind, it should be easy to follow it back to its source, no matter what magical protections or labyrinthine wards whoever it goes to may have put up. Focused on it entirely, I don't even notice the glowing purple energy spiraling along the ground around me, forming a complicated and blasphemous magical seal beneath my feet - I've got to concentrate after all. Messing around with any of spacetime, magic, and demons is unwise at the best of times, and right now I'm loving around with all three; caution is definitely in order.

Extending my arms as the invisible winds of magic whip around me, coat and hair both going truly wild as I do, the ritual's nearly finished - it's time for the moment of truth. Lets find out who was behind a bunch of lovely mages while desperately hoping it's not Ahriman, shall we?

Marked Doom, Quill is here - Ritual Complete.

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Daeva took me through to some kind of ritual circle. I'd never seen one before, though Az had described a few in his time. I'd never watched Daeva do her magick up close before, this was going to be cool.

Daeva: "Basically, I'm going to take everything I know about the Guttermages we fought and the monster they made, narrow down common sympathetic links... and then follow them."

Sympathetic links? is she talking about those threads I saw. I opened my mouth to speak, but Az gets their first, as normal.

"Quill, there's no need to ask, she's not silly it's why you are here. Think about seeing those links, what it felt like, what you noticed about them. The magic will pick up on what it needs from you in this place. I doubt the mage will ask you to do much more than observe."

Az was right, as usual, but it was nice to notice he didn't call Daeva "the abomination" this time, maybe he was starting to warm to the idea of working with her.
"...Don't raise your hopes too high, child." Az murmured slightly agitated. I smiled to myself, laughing at how everything was working out.

I stood patiently watching, thinking deeply about the silken strands that rose into the sky, noticing the large purple circle that sprung from Daeva's magic. It was beautiful and terrifying at the same time. I could feel Az's hate towards the spell but I watched with fascination as her hair flared against the power of the spell, watching for any sign of something going right, or - just in case- that something was going wrong.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
The Ritual!

It works!

You feel the power flow through you, and you get a vision! A vision of a... Man?

You feel words.

"Thief"
"Horror"
"Monster"
"No Name"

You feel a sense of dread. That it's something unnatural. Could it be? Some horror that wasn't Ahriman? It didn't feel like you're own personal boogieman. Close, but not quite.

Daeva & Quill - What limited information have you heard about The Thief Of Souls?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I head back to base with Voidblade, of all people. She's probably stuck trying to come up with a good insult or something. We get into the foyer and some girl is rushing up at me. For a quick moment I tense up all over. Oh no. What's about to go wrong. But...

"Hi!" I finally say. I follow her towards the kitchen. Her stammering cute, really. "I'm Opal, Sam," she says. "I think they're calling me Robot Grrl now? I dunno, not like I ever really *had* a secret identity, so just Opal is fine."

I sit on one of the stools around the kitchen island, where all the tools are laid out. I bring up my janky right arm, by grabbing the wrist with my left hand. "Got torn up bad. I think it's the servos and stuff?" I say, guessing. Isn't everything servos? "But I'll let you go at it." She pauses. "Could you grab me some orange juice too?" I ask, putting on my best, this is all totally normal voice.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 1/5 | Doom: 1/5 | Conditions: Guilty

There's a flash of insight, but it's all unpleasant. No, not unpleasant - horrible's more like it. The Thief of Souls is involved in this mess, and that's regrettable for oh so very many reasons. Namely he's a soul stealer (obviously) and we don't need more of those in the mix, he's able to stalk via another dimension (from what I understand anyways) which makes him difficult to track or confront, he's both ridiculously powerful and definitely evil, and worst of all he doesn't even have the decency to be Ahriman. Do you know how much it would have helped me if those two Guttermage idiots had been links to him?! And now that's dead - poof - lead's gone up in smoke and fire. All of this sucks, aside from us having a lead on the rear end in a top hat.

Spell finally ending, I stagger away from the center of the circle, grabbing my beer and cigarettes from off the porch railing and taking a seat near where Quill's standing. While I need a minute to process what I just saw fully, and another couple of them to recover after that, Quill almost certainly got a glimpse of something during my magickal working and I need to quiz her on it. Vaguely aware I'm a wreck and that she's probably never seen magick quite like that before, I start shifting my hair back into place, planning on lighting my cigarette once I've done a half-assed job fixing my appearance.

"So Quill, three questions." I motion for my angelic teammate to take a seat in the other picnic chair I've got out here, since she's awkward enough to not have done so yet. Sigh, poor Quill. "Anything you know about Thief of Souls - that thing from the vision? Want to bring up what we discovered to the team later, after we've relaxed for a while? And speaking of... want to get changed and head to the pool to join Om? I could use some lounging around after that..."

Rauri fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 9, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Daeva staggers away, looking tired from the spell, and I instinctively put my hands out to help but think better of it and leave her alone. I know what it's like when others think you are weak, but you aren't. If she wants anything of me I just hope she would ask.

"Thief of souls? You saw that vision, correct?" Az, inquires, I nod.
"Makes a lot of sense, many other angelic forms and I have discussed over the past few decades a dramatic increase in a number of missing souls. We collectively assumed it was demonic work, souls being traded, much like Daeva's case. The theft of a soul however, that is a very grave and perverted magic. Your soul is not a possession to be ripped away, souls are ethereal essences of life, and not only that, they belong to God!"

"Skip to the end, Az." I smile, knowing anything that suggests going against God's natural laws really sets Az off, but we can rant and rave about moral repercussions of soul stealing later, right now I needed answers.

Daeva motions me to sit and I do, kind of only half paying attention, it's obvious in my eyes that i am busy elsewhere.

"Theft of a soul is powerful magic, that or it derives from another holy entity, which means its not theft simply....redistribution I presume. Either way, this MAN must have some great power behind him and something very strong that keeps him alive. Magic like that kills mortal's quickly. I should know...I had a hand in making sure of it."

My eyes go wide, as Az goes silent. Az has said before he forgets things from the past eons, his roles in certain events. Melding in my mind meant he had to leave a lot of information behind, but if remembers making sure soul stealing couldn't be done by a mortal then that's a big deal.

I sigh and stare at Daeva, who is in the process of lighting another cigarette, to my dismay. I sit forward in my chair.

"Well, I don't know what you might know about this kind of thing but Az says a mortal thief of souls is impossible. It's against the laws of nature, so this guy has some friends or something helping him if he really does steal the living souls of others. That feeling during the spell, whatever he is, he didn't feel natural. Az says souls have been going missing recently and it had been put to demonic selling but if theft is involved we have to stop it."

Az starts to talk more and I begin quoting his words to Daeva.

"It is possible this thief, has found a way to take the souls of others through bargaining, like with the guttermages, he offers them power and in their debt, he takes something of theirs, but the back lash of such power would be immense not to mention the things you could do to a person when you literally have their soul in the palm of your hand."

I finish speaking for Az and hate myself, beginning to stutter. I always filter for a reason, god drat it!

"Not-not that you are in any kind of situation like that with your demon. He doesn't have your soul yet. Not-not that he ever will. Sorry..." I sigh a little and hope she knows I'm not going to let anything happen to her.

"We should tell the others, I doubt this is going away any time soon. This is a big deal, but yeah I think we could all do with a rest, and those guttermages aren't going anywhere. What was your last question?"

I think back through what Daeva asked me, I was still in the process of talking to Az, and then I realise what she said. My eyes go wide for a second and my heart races.

"What does she think you are, a duck?!" Az's rage only makes me giggle and I burst into laughter, I calm down and try to explain to Daeva why water and I don't mix.

"I didn't realise you wanted me to come with you! My....my wings, they er, well they don't do so well in water. They do have a coating, makes the stuff run off the sides but when water gets in the down of my feathers...well let's just say it's not easy to move. I'll...I'll just come sit by the side with you guys."
I desperately don't want to be left out, but man I don't want them asking me to get in the water.

"Again? Again you have a problem and you won't tell your team!" says Az, frustrated with me again.

I roll my eyes, knowing what he's talking about. First, I don't tell them about my stalker and the next I don't tell them about my incredible fear of drowning. After what happened, drowning and dying and all can put you off swimming for life. I can't swim. The wings drag me down when they get wet, and losing control like that isn't fun. Az is right.....drat I hate it when he's right.

Daeva looks to go and I put my hand out and stop her.

"And!....and I'm well....when my wings get water logged they drag me down and, and I....I can't swim." I say it, defeated, like it's a great failing of me as a person. "I still want to join in, i'll just stay by the side." I bite my lip, annoyed at myself that I've had to tell someone but Az seems pleased, as I walk away to my room and change into something a bit more relaxing that I don't mind getting splashed on. I just pray that Daeva doesn't think any less of me.

Sorry just found out I've activated a team move: When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, and they tell you what you should do to fit in more, take +1 forward, and mark potential if you do.

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 9, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Always such a gentleman, aren't you Om?"

Eva's grin settles down a bit as she sits down. "But honestly, I can do it myself. Thanks for the offer though!" With a snap of her fingers, she fills a cup and levitates it back to herself. She takes a sip. "Sorry for teasing you by the way. It's just that you're so cute~ when you get flustered like that."

Eva shoots Om a mischievous glance over the rim of her cup. "But anyway. Did you three manage to get anything out of that guttermage?"

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi's crafts corner

Sammi hunches her sholders, and gets this really shaky smile, like she can't believe how lucky she is that she's making a friend! Well that only adds another tint of red to her cheeks. She gets to work on your arm, and her skill is actually a little breathtaking. She's practically juggling tools while she works, it comes across as effortless, almost subcouncious really. Her large eyes grow wide as she explores the make of your arm.

"....Wow... I've never... I-I mean... once..." She frowns, chewing on her lip. "O-Opal? Where did you get this tech from?" a note of wonder in her voice. Because... well, it's um... pretty um... rare." Her eyes shift back and forth uncertainly, like there's something on her mind. She's holding your arm so tenderly. When you ask about orange juice, she jumps. "O-Oh! R-Right! S-Sorry. J- j-just wait right there!" She scampers over to the fridge and carefully pours a glass. She looks at it uncertainly, then adds ice to it. Sammi hopps from foot to foot before adding a straw, no two straws, one a normal one, and the other a curly straw. Bringing the drink over and presenting it shyly. Gulping and watching your reaction carefully to see if she did any good.

She gets back to fixing your arm and with a few quick twists, you suddenly feel life returning to your fingers! Wow, that feels pretty great!

[looks like your arm is fixed! Clearly this girl is a dab hand with technology, she seems to know something about this tech as well. Do you ask her? What do you do?]

Cafe of Luvvvvv

Fiero chuckles. "A duo, or work with your team? Well why not both? I would love for a chance to meet your team. They seem like a fine collection of companions! Truly worthy Allies!" He said. "Yes, I like the sound of that suggestion. That said, I do hope I get a chance to do a little duo work with you as well. I must admit, you do look very fetching in that costume." He winks.

What are you really planning?

Frankly, he's planning to be the epitome of chivalry towards you. Or at least as close an an american teenager who's never been out of the USA can be. He quite obviously wants to ask you out. But he deff wants to join your AI group. He's a little jellious that you've been selected for one of the A.I. teams.

How could I gain Influence over you?

He's defiantly want to be part of the AI teams. He's got himself a mentor, but something held him back from being selected this time around, and that's wounded his pride a little bit. But he's interested in you. Maybe when you trust him a little better telling him your secret identity?

How could I get you to openly support our team and like me?

Let him meet them, show him how awesome they are. Ask him to do it. Maybe promise him something in return. Perhaps, dinner and a movie?

Daeva and Quill's magical corner

The Soul Thief! That monster has been rumoured to have been around for years and years and years! God only knows if it's the same guy. But his ability to hide in a plane inaccessible to most, makes him really difficult to catch. It's possible that the Guttermages were given the power of a soul that he's stolen previously. Well you can discuss it more with the team at the pool!

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Hehe, he said I looked good in my costume. Blushing slightly, I quickly came to the realization that I needed to get back to meet up with the rest of the team. How long had I been out?

"Oh my god, I would love to stay, but I really really need to get back to base." I stammered. "B-but if you want to come visit, I'm sure I can show you around some time! Though, I would need to run that with my team." I'm sure they'd be fine with it. Why wouldn't they be? It wasn't like Fiero was a bad guy or something. He was a hero! Not with the Alliance Initiative, but still a hero! Then again, Fiero didn't seem to happy about not being picked to join an A.I. team.

"Hey, I'm sorry you didn't get picked to be on one of the Alliance Initiative teams. Don't let that get to you, though. You're a really cool guy and an even better superhero. You've saved me before and you're so cool with your fire powers and lance. You could easily get in next time. To be honest, you should've gotten in this time. It would've been cool to be in a team and I know you would've aced it. I can't say you can join our team, but we can certainly hang out together and we can do duo stuff if I find the time."

I stood awkwardly for a second, trying to gauge his reaction. Afterwards, I gave him a quick wink and bounced my way back to base.

jimmydalad> rolling to comfort Fiero about not being picked by the A.I
<jimmydalad> !roll 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> jimmydalad, 9+3 = 12
I'm going to add another team to the pool. Cause we really need that right now.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Om looked uncomfortable for a moment. "We've had, somewhat unsettling things out of the guttermage. It was like... Actually wait there's a much easier way to do this, hold still a moment?" He tapped his forehead, and then reached over and tapped Voidblade's. This was a technique his uncle taught him, he thought about that strange scene with the Guttermage and then replayed that conversation in their heads.

Arashiofordo3 posted:

"No!" He moans from behind the barrier, but his shoulders slump, it almost as if he knows somethings just happened! His eyes flicker nervously. "Y-You don't understand! He made us do it! We didn't know what for! Or why! He just said, take from them their black gold! He gave us this power, said it would make us strong! That we could do anything! You weren't supposed to show up! YOU RUINED EVERYTHING!" He swings his arm as if he was throwing something. But looks at his hand in disbelief. "NO! MASTER! WHY?" He reaches above his head as though to grab something, but his hand passes through the space where the thread used to be, and he freezes.

His mouth moves as though he can't believe it. But after some moments he looks back at you. With the eyes of a madman.

"DOn't you SEE? HE did this! He gives AND taKEs! AHAHA! A THIEF! A THief! Y-You'LL NEVER SEE HIM COMING!!! HHAHAAHAH!"

Whatever this guy was, sane was not on that list. He babbles more, talking about a form of smoke, and grasping hands, eyes like diamonds in the dark. In dispersed with cackling. Lots of cackling

Om ended the memory playback there and went back to his side of the pool, taking a moment to clear his head of the images. "Blergh, do you see now why I'm concerned? Quill said she saw some sort of strand attached to the Guttermages we brought in, and it separated when we had them in custody. Daeva I think wanted to try and trace that back to where ever it might have come from, and I wanted to check something for myself, It's only about one quarter of a suspicion of a hunch but I can't help but feel that the Oil Monster thing was some sort of distraction.

"Do we have access to the AI database do you know? I wanted to go over the records today, see if any other 'magic crimes' happened whilst we were fighting the oil monster."

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 9, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Eva's demeanor changes from playful to serious as Om shares the interrogation via a psionic link, her smile fading and her brow furrowing. "Yes, there's definitely something shifty going on. As for the AI database, well, even if we have no terminals here, I'm fairly certain they would allow us access to those particular data points. Little sense in witholding that data, right? Like this is the kind of thing it was gathered for in the first place."

Eva stares forward in silence for a minute, before continuing. "...Dad might have some info too. He has a whole bunch of knowledge on the occult and various criminals of magical nature due to his feud with the Necrodancer. And he's nothing if not thorough when it comes to his work." She averts her gaze for a bit. It's fairly clear that even though the Dread Specter would be a good source of information, Eva does not look forward to asking him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

OM notes her discomfort at talking about her father, what he knows about him is only what he's heard from rumour or what Eva agreed to share, but there wasn't much that was good. "Let's ask Professor Shad first, he might be happy to tell us anything going on ... At least I think he will"

He thought about that strange presence from this morning, well, now was as good a time as any if he didn't talk about it to someone he'd probably forget about it.

"What did you think of the Professor Eva?"

• Locked thread