Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Rohan Kishibe posted:

- A pair of twins in the English countryside somewhere are in an accident involving fireworks, which results in one brother's left(?) arm turning into a firework, attached at the shoulder. It turns out that the twins have gained the power that whatever the second brother holds in his arm, the first kid's arm turns into. They only figure this out like 3/4s of the way into the book, and never use it for anything cool. I think the arm becomes a balloon at some point and they float away to escape some kind of danger or something, I dunno.

Because you have a Jojo avatar I can safely tell you that this sounds like a really lovely Stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I remember reading a book when I was a kid, about a rich boy who runs away from his parents and he ends up meeting a monster boy and they become friends. The monster boy came from an underground world where an entire race of monsters live, and they live in houses made of rocks with no roofs because it doesn't rain underground. I think the setting was vaguely medieval because the human boy's parents were like nobles or something. At the very beginning of the book, they are looking at their infant son in his crib and they both think he's ugly, so they think "Perhaps he will be clever".

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I read a book about brothers who went to stay at their dead uncles house until their parents arrived a week later.

The younger brother was tired of getting beat up by his brother and found a bomb shelter where time barely moved inside. On night while his brother sleeps he goes in and lives for a year on rations so when he comes out the next morning he's older than his brother and can beat him up.

I'd love to know what that was called, I think I read it 4 or 5 times.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Blue Star posted:

At the very beginning of the book, they are looking at their infant son in his crib and they both think he's ugly, so they think "Perhaps he will be clever".

You're having trouble remembering this because it's not a book, it's your first memory.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a book about a kid who lives in a town that has a tradition to wring a pidgeons neck to death and the boy who won't do it. It's called "wringer"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Blue Star posted:

I remember reading a book when I was a kid, about a rich boy who runs away from his parents and he ends up meeting a monster boy and they become friends. The monster boy came from an underground world where an entire race of monsters live, and they live in houses made of rocks with no roofs because it doesn't rain underground. I think the setting was vaguely medieval because the human boy's parents were like nobles or something. At the very beginning of the book, they are looking at their infant son in his crib and they both think he's ugly, so they think "Perhaps he will be clever".

Yeah you're just remembering playing Undertale.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the one about the two misfits where one is crippled and one is huge and maybe blind and they combine forces?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

i read a book that was like some girls diary except she like did lsd at a party once then instantly became a crackwhore who traveled around homeless and hosed up her life. she was like 14. it was for girls and poo poo.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

canpakes posted:

What's the one about the two misfits where one is crippled and one is huge and maybe blind and they combine forces?

Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I remember a Ray Bradbury book that was really boring fond remembrances of the depression era US because technology is bad and so is this stand in for the television

Ray Bradbury hated science basically but got stuck writing scifi somehow

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Rurea posted:

i read a book that was like some girls diary except she like did lsd at a party once then instantly became a crackwhore who traveled around homeless and hosed up her life. she was like 14. it was for girls and poo poo.

Go Ask Alice

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

The Legend of Rah and the Muggles.

Thought you might be pulling my leg because of the muggles thing, but I looked it up, and maybe...? I remember it being less whimsical fantasy and more The-Road-for-kids, with people foraging for food and trying not to get killed. If it even was a kids' book.

But a lot of things seem more plausible when you're that young, so it's hard to say. Thanks for the tip! I might have to check this out. It sounds bizarre.

green chicken feet fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 17, 2016

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rurea posted:

I was super into D&D poo poo when I was in middle school and there were basically no medieval fantasy type books in the school library, so at one point I wound up reading some kind of olde fashioned bodice ripper because it was the only book I could find that had anything to do with castles

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Wizchine posted:

I remember reading a book of the shelf in my local library when I was like 11 or so - a book of horror short stories geared towards kids. This was long before Goosebumps was published, and the book would have been written in the 70's at the latest. I just remember this kid going down into the basement with his little dog near the end, and he hears [the monster] eat his dog (dog cries out, snapping followed by slurping or sucking sound). It ends with it implied that the kid is about to die and get eaten next as he's on the basement stairs. I think the creature was some sort of ancient Egyptian thing, or bird-like, but I can't be sure.

In any case, I hadn't read poo poo like that before - what kind of author kills a puppy and then the child protagonist too? Welcome to horror, Wizchine!

HA. This was bugging me so much I started Googling and found it: "Wendigo's Child. " It's a short story by Thomas F. Monteleone published in a 1973 horror anthology called "Monster Tales". The story involves a mummy, but not the Egyptian kind, and the Wendigo itself according to the synopsis is "part man, part reptile and part bird" - which is why I remember the bird bit.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

mdm posted:

uhh there was this one book about jews or something and the main character dies but not really :shrug:

The New Testament :smuggo:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

criscodisco posted:

Go Ask Alice

I think she'll knooowwwwwww

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

canpakes posted:

Freak the Mighty

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
I've found most of the pulp fiction Sci-Fi that I used to read as a kid. I had to use online collections of 1960's pulp covers and vague story descriptions. Once the Internet got good, I finally found them all.

The one I was most excited to find was "Interstellar Pig" That one was 80's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_Pig
That one wasn't pulp, it was just that all I remembered was a vacation, a kid, and something called a pig that came from space.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

canpakes posted:

This is freak the mighty

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rohan Kishibe posted:

- A pair of twins in the English countryside somewhere are in an accident involving fireworks, which results in one brother's left(?) arm turning into a firework, attached at the shoulder. It turns out that the twins have gained the power that whatever the second brother holds in his arm, the first kid's arm turns into. They only figure this out like 3/4s of the way into the book, and never use it for anything cool. I think the arm becomes a balloon at some point and they float away to escape some kind of danger or something, I dunno.

This sounds hosed up and hilarious. I guess if I ever run across someone on the internet with a fireworks-arm fetish I'll know where it came from.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

mdm posted:

uhh there was this one book about jews or something and the main character dies but not really :shrug:

I remember some book about some girl at her bat mitzvah who daydreams her being shipped off to a concentration camp and then she almost escapes but then realizes she's just daydreaming and gets on with her life :shrug:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
dae remember that book about the magic pot that cooked unlimited pasta

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

canpakes posted:

The hawk tree one is "my side of the mountain"

The sequel is the opposite gender The Other(or your) side of the mountain

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
I vaguely recall one book I read when very young about a girl who I think went to a boarding school and got a room in an attic or something. She finds this evil doll that she can't get rid of, but no one believes her because I guess she is a loser or something. Been trying to figure out what book this is for, like, forever.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Cymoril posted:

I vaguely recall one book I read when very young about a girl who I think went to a boarding school and got a room in an attic or something. She finds this evil doll that she can't get rid of, but no one believes her because I guess she is a loser or something. Been trying to figure out what book this is for, like, forever.

Doom House.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Applewhite posted:

The story about these kids in Warsaw Poland who smuggle gold right under the Nazis noses by putting it under their sleds.

Snow Treasure?

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum

Applewhite posted:

Doom House.

Google is only giving me RL Stine and it def wasn't one of his books. I think the cover had a picture of the doll.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Cervixalot posted:

Snow Treasure?

That's it!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i have really vague memories of some post apocalyptic sci fi book where the world was overrun with like, cyborg meat monsters and kids were hiding from them, I think it was early 2000s

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

The first book I read was based on the NES game Wizards and Warriors, except a kid from today (the 80s) gets transported to that world and accompanies the hero. I can't imagine how awful it must have been, but I read the whole thing.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
There was this one book about this kid that got stranded in the Canadian wilderness and the only thing he had with him was this hatchet.
I remember he had to use the hatchet to survive and that hatchet came in handy in all sorts of unexpected ways.
He even used the hatchet to start a fire by scraping the hatchet against some flint.

Basically the hatchet ends up saving this kid's life.

I this it was called "Living in the Woods Axe Boy"

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

mostlygray posted:

The one I was most excited to find was "Interstellar Pig" That one was 80's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_Pig
That one wasn't pulp, it was just that all I remembered was a vacation, a kid, and something called a pig that came from space.

I read that one, too. What I remembered was that the piggy was part of a board game and a measurement of intelligence like IQ was involved in playing the game.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

I think there was a series of thses, but all the stories I remember are in this book. They make a hot air baloon that pumped helium in and out of a tank so they can change altitude forever.

Also I know What You Did Last Summer originally a young adult fiction book.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Fonzarelli posted:

i have really vague memories of some post apocalyptic sci fi book where the world was overrun with like, cyborg meat monsters and kids were hiding from them, I think it was early 2000s

Maze runner

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I remember reading some absurd rear end book series about some kid who had a magical bicycle who somehow got sent to hell or was on earth during the demon apocalypse or some poo poo and he had to fight off hell's hordes while delivering a strong Christian message.

e: apparently after a cursory google the first book was actually just called the magic bicycle the synopsis seems tame but by like the third book in ther series poo poo was completely off the rails

Iron Prince fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 17, 2016

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
i always used to rent this riddle book from the library when i was a kid but i can't remember what it was called. it had the riddles in rhyme at the bottom and the answers were incorporated into one big fantastic piece of artwork above, this was before the 'I Spy' stuff, i'd love to get it for my neice but i can't figure out it's name. every time i search i just get linked to webpages for 'finding your lost childhood books' and they haven't been helpful at all. another book i want to get her that i can't remember the name of was like a zoological book of made up creatures, i can only recall the one on the last page. it would unfurl it's beard down the banking of a stream and trick fish to swim up it into its mouth...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

There was this one book about this kid that got stranded in the Canadian wilderness and the only thing he had with him was this hatchet.
I remember he had to use the hatchet to survive and that hatchet came in handy in all sorts of unexpected ways.
He even used the hatchet to start a fire by scraping the hatchet against some flint.

Basically the hatchet ends up saving this kid's life.

I this it was called "Living in the Woods Axe Boy"

Are you sure it was a hatchet and not a corpse? This might have been Swiss Army Man

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

Alabaster White posted:

I remember some book about some girl at her bat mitzvah who daydreams her being shipped off to a concentration camp and then she almost escapes but then realizes she's just daydreaming and gets on with her life :shrug:

Was it The Devil's Arithmetic? In 1999 Showtime made a movie based on it with Kirsten Dunst and Brittany Murphy.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

I Greyhound posted:

I think there was a series of thses, but all the stories I remember are in this book. They make a hot air baloon that pumped helium in and out of a tank so they can change altitude forever.

Didn't these guys also build a loch ness moster contraption to scare some olds? Or was that some other book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

- A book about a girl (maybe?) who finds a dragon egg and then has a dragon. It's pretty much all about her dragon doing wacky stuff.

- A book about a shark, sometimes told from the perspective of the shark, maybe? Like not jaws though, this shark was basically just chill and had babies and ate fish or whatever. I wanna say it was called Sevengill but I can't be hosed to google it

• Locked thread