Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Welcome to "Too Many Cooks Spoil the Police," a TradGames design contest for September 2016! This is my first foray into running a contest on the forums, so feel free to ask for clarifications on rules or any other points.

The theme of this contest is based on Monte Cook's new Kickstarter, Invisible Sun, and the two most amazing things about it: first, that it is an insufferably pretentious pile of feelies and 1980's-era High Concepts in Roleplaying, and second, that it is named after a goddamn Police song. In this contest, you will attempt to emulate both of these things, creating an amazing game-shaped pile of puffery based off of a randomly-assigned Police song title. If you end up making a good game in the process, more power to you!

Seriously, attempting good game design is highly encouraged, but for this contest, it's not necessarily required. This is going to be pretty silly, and I'm not going to be amazingly stringent about the rules. However, all contest entries must be playable, since they'll be playtested as part of the contest.

RULES

1. The goal of this contest is to create a stand-alone, playable roleplaying game (defined as a game in which the players recognizably take on a role or a persona) by the contest deadline, following the rules and constraints below.

2. All contestants will be assigned a random title of a song by the Police to base their game around. This title should be the title of your game and meaningfully influence its themes and content; you don't have to slavishly follow the narrative of the song, or even use any of its narrative at all, but don't just slap the title on a random dungeon-basher and call it a day.

3. Each phase of the contest will have a posting deadline, in accordance with the schedule below. You'll generally have a week between deadlines. The first and second week's content can be posted after deadline, but no more than a week after -- if you can't get your first week in before the second is due, then it won't be judged. The third and fourth week's deadlines are hard deadlines, and no material posted late will be judged, unless you're like ten minutes late or something. But don't be ten minutes late.

4. All game material must be original, including mechanics (no hacks of existing systems or open-licensed rulesets), writing, and content/intellectual property (no games based on copyrighted property of others). Illustrations, fonts, and other graphic elements may be made by others, as long as you have permission to use them, but all words and ideas should be your own. The only exception to this rule is that you can quote the Police, from your title song or other songs, as much as you'd like. (No, not any of their solo work. Just the Police. There's a gimmick here, okay?)

5. Your finished game should present its rules in a way that others can play it as a complete game: at bare minimum, a conflict resolution/narrative flow regulation mechanic, and probably character creation rules and gamemastering guidelines. Part of the contest will be others playtesting your game, and I'm going to be judging based on trying to figure the drat thing out myself, so make it a complete production.

6. The final length of your game is up to you, but it should be at least the length and beefiness of a Lasers & Feelings or Big Mutherfuckin' Crab Truckers-style microgame (one full page). Maximum length is up to you, but you don't have to go crazy, and you probably shouldn't. Just make it the length it needs to be.

7. In the final week of the contest, every game must be playtested by someone other than its author; every contestant must run a playtest of a playable game draft that is not their own. You will not be penalized if your game isn't playtested (provided it's because your playtester flakes out or something, not because your game isn't playtestable), but you'll still be expected to complete your share of playtesting.

8. Bonus challenges may be issued throughout the contest. Games that integrate the bonus challenge into their next posted product (or otherwise complete it, if it's not a part of the game) will get a small scoring bonus and be extra-impressive and wonderful.

9. Use common sense and don't be an rear end in a top hat -- to me, to your fellow competitors/TradGames posters, or to Monte Cook, even though this content is based in large part around poking fun at his dubious Kickstarter. I reserve the right to disqualify anyone for gratuitous assholery.

SCHEDULE

The following schedule will be used for contest milestones and deadlines. All deadlines are at midnight Central Time, or "before I wake up for work the next day," Central Time, basically.

August 31st: Deadline for signups and Bonus Challenge 0 entries
September 1st: Contest begins; song titles issued to contestants
September 8th: Deadline for Part 1 (Project Proposal/Outline)
September 15th: Deadline for Part 2 (Rough Draft)
September 22nd: Deadline for Part 3 (Playable Draft)
October 3rd: Deadline for Part 4 (Playtesting)
(extra time on this one to allow two weekends for playtesting)

Winners will be announced as soon after the final deadline as possible. Which brings me to...

FABULOUS PRIZES

The overall winner of the contest will receive a life-changing $30 gift certificate to DriveThruRPG. In addition, two other prizes will be awarded to runners-up, with each getting either a $10 DriveThru gift certificate or a forums upgrade of their choice. One runner-up prize will be awarded by each of the following criteria:

Kickstarter Readiness: Could this game launch a successful Kickstarter right now, even in its embryonic state? Think flash, dazzle, polish, feelies. Don't think "actual content" or "creator track record" or anything concrete like that -- think "could this get people to give you money?"

Triumph Over Adversity: This is going to be a silly contest, and there's a good chance that games may end up having pretty heavy burdens of stupidity after a certain point. This award will go to the game that has the best balance of high stupidity and actual success -- in other words, the game that does the most with the least.

Finally, there's one last thing before the contest begins:

BONUS CHALLENGE 0: GET THE HYPE TRAIN ROLLING

Some of you are no doubt reading this OP and composing worried rhetorical questions to me. "Wait, we get a song title assigned randomly? A lot of Police song titles are insane garbage! This is the worst contest ever, SA Forums Poster Antivehicular, and there has to be another way!"

For people who are worried about the RNG, I present Bonus Challenge 0: Get The Hype Train Rolling. Bonus Challenge 0 consists of two parts, and for each part you complete, you get an extra random song title to choose from. Complete both and get three options! And, of course, sell us on the revolutionary vision of your contest game, which doesn't even have a title yet, but who cares.

Here are your Bonus Challenge 0 sub-challenges:

1. Hype us up on the AMAZING, ONE-OF-A-KIND new mechanic that your game will feature -- a mechanic that nobody's seen before, provided they haven't roleplayed since 1985 or so. Will your game be like D&D, but classless? Will there be built-in mechanics for how the player characters relate to one another? Will there be tarot cards involved somehow!? Channel your inner clueless newbie game designer on Kickstarter and explain how what you're doing has never been done before, you guys! So innovative! So smart!

2. Tell us about one of the non-game components in your game's deluxe box set. This component shouldn't be used for actually playing the game, but it is nonetheless crucial to the experience. Sell us on it. Sell us hard. Convince us that this random object is what the hobby has been missing.

Have fun, and let's make some games.

LIST OF ENTRANTS

1. Covok
2. Skyl3lazer (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
3. Anniversary (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
4. potatocubed (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
5. Kwyndig (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
6. frankenfreak (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
7. El Estrago Bonito
8. Cascade Jones
9. Lightning Lord
10. grassy gnoll
11. Alien Rope Burn (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
12. nomadotto (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
13. Laphroaig (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
14. Hedningen (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
15. Ettin (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
16. Mr. Maltose (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
17. neongrey (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
18. Mr.Misfit (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
19. Rather Watch Them (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
20. DalaranJ (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
21. Free Cog (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
22. Ten Thousand Names (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
23. FutureVillainBand
24. LuiCypher (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
25. Speleothing (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
26. goatface (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
27. Peas and Rice (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
28. Mirage (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
29. Black Wombat (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
30. Trollhawke (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
31. Ulta (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
32. Hitlers Gay Secret (Bonus Challenge 0 done)
33. Radio Free Walrus
34. fr0id (Bonus Challenge 0 done)

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Alright, signing up because $30.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'm down as gently caress for this.

Day 0 challenges:

1) What good are The Police if there isn't a good Mystery? That sentence might not make much sense, but that's OK because neither will your actions sometimes! Players will each roleplay a character sure, but the twist is that The players will not (initially at least) know the abilities of the character they're playing. That's right, it's going to take some real sleuth work to puzzle out how to best use your character!

2) Well we have a mystery Police themes game, and no mystery-Police-themed-game will ever be complete without our included flavor accessory: Sleuth Shoes. Unless you want to Stand Losing You barefoot, you'll want to Moonwalk your way into these Roxxing shoes! They'll make anyone want to Stand So Close To You, unlike on Any Other Day where you'd just be Invisible, Son! Message In A Bottle.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
There's no way I'll regret entering this!

Day 0 Challenges:

1) Rehumanize Yourself - Resource management as a driving mechanic? That's right! You, the human, will be making the decisions dice used to make, mostly! You might wish you had a gun to keep you warm, but what good is that gun when you're out of bullets? What will keep you warm then? Not me, that's for sure! (That would be weird.)

2) No Time This Time - Now you won't have to worry about spending time with your friends! You may be used to combat taking hours to resolve as your friends agonize between ultimately meaningless decisions; no more! Use this handy Authentic Pocket Watch, included exclusively in the True Believer tier, to keep the pressure on you and your friends when playing a game! (Authentic Pocket Watch may just be a picture of a brass pocket watch, fancy!)

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
This space reserved for marketing puff.

Tired of numbers and formulas and maths informing your roleplaying experiences? Then this will be the game for you! Using a revolutionary new system it turns the everyday language you use into game rules, getting out of the way while you roleplay. Gone is the mindless hack-and-slash of yesterday, replaced by intricate backgrounds and detailed relationships, all set in a sprawling weird-fantasy city the like of which has not been seen since Lankhmar! Fully designed for online as well as face-to-face play, you can play whether your friends are in the country or not!

As a special reward, backers of the Insightful tier and higher will receive a set of hand-painted element cubes with their game. No need for you to break immersion with a handful of six-sided dice!

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 17, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Voices Inside My Head, Driven to Tears by lack of writing opportunities, demand that I enter my Message in a Bottle. The Fallout On Any Other Day would be epic, but as a Demolition Man, it'll be like Walking On The Moon.

Bonus Day 0 Hype:

1) Real time combat resolution! Every second you spend playing is a second for the characters in the game (in combat)! Feel the crushing weight of decision as every step you take is obsessively watched by your fellow players as it means life or death!

2) To go along with #1, a special sand timer to keep track of your game's time, emblazoned with the game's name/logo. Watch as the precious time trickles through the Hole in My Life and into the point of no return. Experience true Synchronicity!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
asdfghjkl is the next project coming to you from Franken Freak Games. As with our past projects, we will be ambitious and exciting early - and will deliver something worthy of our track record as huge flakes. We will push the envelope with asdfghjkl to bring you the most immersive and verisimilitudinous game we can produce. asdfghjkl will challenge you like no game before and provide an experience for true, adult ROLEplayers.

asdfghjkl will introduce a new exciting mechanic called Murder by Numbers. When you roll the dice, the result will not just decide on success or failure. Instead, you will get to choose how you things play out. You will select from a list of options that open up depending on your roll. The choice is yours as asdfghjkl puts YOU in control of the action!

If you back this project at the Commisioner level, you will also recieve the deluxe boxed set of asdfghjkl with an exclusive Message in a Bottle. Enclosed in a bottle (made from sturdy plastic - so don't worry about it breaking in shipping) you will receive a letter. In this handwritten missive, we will share with you the true secrets of asdfghjkl. As each message is individualized, this secret will make YOUR game of asdfghjkl truly unique and elevate your experience to the next level. You really don't want to miss out on this!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Sure, I have some free time.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I'm pleased to announce that generous donor Dagon has offered another $20 DriveThru gift certificate as a bonus prize. This will probably be a second-place prize, but it may be reserved for a special award if I come up with something appropriately arcane to throw at y'all.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015
OK, I'm in.

Uh, I've got nothing for hype? I look forward to being screwed over by the RNG.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I'll give it a shot, but don't expect much. I'm not exactly Greg Stafford.

Mostly I just want to work in a totally veiled and not obvious at all reference to John Constantine being Sting. I mean, that's Police related, right?

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 18, 2016

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I would like to participate in this challenge. It's been too long since we ran a forums contest.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I think I could come up with a little something that will change your life.

No big deal.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

I'm in.

My game will feature a unique "Whirlybird" method of conflict resolution. As part of character creation, players will create a set of unique paper-fortune-tellers which will be used to determine success or failure of their actions. This allows for unique player customization of their own level of risk/reward, as well as mitigating the flat randomness of dice.

The boxed version of the game will include a unique collection of aftershaves, which have been scientifically designed to evoke the proper feel for each of the stages of game play. From the tantalizing spice of character creation to the bitter tang of defeat to the exuberant musk of final victory, these " Aqua Vitea " will serve as the perfect accompaniment to your gaming experience.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
What's the point of killing monsters? Why, to eat them of course!

Day 0 Challenge:

1] The Arrest; players are no longer bound to only acting on their turns. By using certain special abilities and in special situations, the players will be able to act out of turn to affect the situation, much like how the police can show up out of nowhere and arrest someone for the simple mistake of adding illicit and addictive banned substances to their mail-order food business despite nothing ever being proven in a court of law due to the settlement.

2] Immersive "eat what you kill" system rewards players for seeking out more delicious challenges, by having a direct game interface with our subscription box;

The Halfling Chef is a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly subscription box bought to you in partnership with [Blue Apron/Amazon Fresh/COSTCO]. With a variety of delicious tiers of packages (from the introductory 'Lembas Bread Survival' to the filling 'Full Halfling Second Breakfast and Elevensess' to the premium 'Brian Jacques Private Table") never settle for ordering pizza again; we provide custom recipes of fine cuisines and ingredients shipped to your gaming table, along with amazing and succulent premade snacks and small plate dishes to whet the appetite. Plus, with our "Cup Overfloweth" Dwarven Tavern package, we'll provide wine, beer, juice and soda pairings as well at a moderate additional cost. Each food and drink pairing is named after the fantasy tavern that inspired it; finally, immersion you can really sink your teeth into!

Don't Delay! Turn your gaming sessions into gaming feasts! The Halfling Chef will help.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 20, 2016

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
This seems like a useful thing to do with my time. So let's get 90s as hell and introduce a new revolutionary mechanic that certainly isn't a thinly-disguised marketing gimmick!

Tired of systems that require you to roll dice? Wish that you could generate your outcomes by relying on the mystic wisdom of chain-smoking Chinese grandmothers in a dimly-lit parlor? Have we got the mechanic for you! Built off of the ancient game of mah-jong, this patented mechanic allows for quick resolution of important actions, as well as a dynamic influence on your character's progression! The Zenyattā Mondatta resolution mechanic will truly be a revolution in gaming!

And how can you play without a specially-designed, branded set of tiles for your adventures? Well, believe me, you probably can't, and might injure yourself trying to do so, especially if you've only played Dungeons and Dragons! Understanding narrative gameplay takes dedication and a slightly different mechanic than you're used to, so spring for the specially-rebranded tiles that will certainly enhance the experience and are in no way a blatant cash grab to make the box set seem like a much better deal than it really is!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I'm in. Also, stickied.

1. Hype us up on the AMAZING, ONE-OF-A-KIND new mechanic that your game will feature -- a mechanic that nobody's seen before, provided they haven't roleplayed since 1985 or so.

Many games have NPCs and groups who shape the world behind the scenes. My game will bring them forward, turning them into powerful symbols the PCs will aid or oppose over the course of their game. It's a little thing I like to call "passive icons".

2. Tell us about one of the non-game components in your game's deluxe box set.

This beautiful, 6-inch resin sculpture of my rear end holds a single active card from the Game Deck for all to see. One comes with the game, but you can pay $455 for an extra copy of this gorgeous piece.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Thanks for the sticky, Ettin! I was meaning to PM you, but, well, procrastination happened. Thank goodness I could pull a Nightfall/Nocturne and have someone else take care of it on my behalf.

The OP has been edited to add a list of entrants. I'll be updating people's contest status there; right now, it's just whether or not you've done Bonus 0 and thus how many random Police songs I have to roll for you, but it'll include titles and degrees of completion/check-in as we go.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah sure gently caress it something something King Of Pain.

1) Unlike these other fools I'm going to bring a truly novel concept known as the TWIN DEFY SYSTEM. At any time you would normally engage in game mechanics, you can instead opt for the PHYSICAL CHALLENGE and commit a commensurate action in real life real time. Can't roll a twenty? Bust out twenty situps instead! The constantly updating mobile app will contain a dynamic set of 27000 possible scenarios and the amount of sweat needed for you to bypass the associated mechanics.

2) In order to facilitate the necessary difficulty to do things like "be better than a wizard at something" or "Catch an item tied to your hand by string", you're really going to need to slam that weight. So we'll be including 50 pound custom labelled CHALLENGE SACKS full of secrets (sand) and intrigue (dirt). Add an additional 355 dollars to your pledge tier and we'll double the amount of mystical portents (loose gravel) in your CHALLENGE SACKS to show your true devotion to real gaming.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Sure, I mean I'm definitely gonna drop out before I get to actually putting any rules on paper. But right now it's late and this bit seems like fun.

1) Look, you know what's no fun? Arbitrarily going 'yep, that's a success' or 'nope, that's a fail'. Since time immemorial people have tried to solve this problem in increasingly arbitrary ways: why, if you say 'yes, but' to your players, what follows beyond that 'but' could be anything at all! How are your players going to feel secure against the predations of killer GMs? How are you the GM going to know you're coming up with fair solutions to your players' randomly-affected actions?

A WHOLE SHITLOAD OF TABLES, that's how! You're not allowed to do something with a randomly-determined result unless there's a corresponding table for it! Every single table will have enough possible results to ensure all fair outcomes could be determined!

And how are you going to determine what's randomly occurring? You could use dice, but everyone's got their lucky dice, their unlucky dice, novelty loaded dice... so, sure, there is that option, or...

2) You could go with the one truly random force that exists in this universe. The ultra deluxe edition includes something no other game has dared to package before: a live cat! Play assured knowing that your conflicts will be resolved by a truly random method that doesn't care whether your character lives or dies!

For a mere $80/month more, you can try our ultra deluxe premium edition, and keep your campaign alive with cat food!

neongrey fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 20, 2016

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Crazy as gently caress, Iīm in, if only to point the finger at Montes KS.

1)
Never again worry about when to levelup or how many EXP you need! Gone are the days of yore and madness where you kept score of POINTS! Instead, witness the beauty of this wholly original* and never-before-seen** DESTINY ENGINE, combining task resolution and ardous character advancement ability into one easy package, allowing you to ADVANCE your character AS NEVER BEFORE. Donīt just create and play! BE YOUR CHARACTER!

2)
With the DOOM SHARD for your group, a fully mounted and deluxe resin board available now for an additional charge of 95$, you too can envision the game world in glorious full colour, with added tables, placements for combat grids and immersive picturesqe imaging technology used in the creation to fully visualize and recreate the gaming environment. And for an additional charge of only 25$ our chief designer, the famous [Nobody Anyone Knows] will PERSONALIZE and SIGN your DOOM SHARD.

Furthermore, as an added bonus, this game will never again be made after this KS! Be part of the revolultion, as well as an exclusive owner of [ENTER POLICE SONG NAME HERE]!

* Meant in arcane meaning of Ancient Summerian, where original is "Thing-that-might-have-been-there-before
** by the designer

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I am incredibly passionate about this particular project, and hereby Toss My Hat into the ring! I'll have the bonus challenge done today, just you wait!

1: Are you tired of having to keep track of pointless roll modifiers and perks on your tiny character sheet? Don't you wish there was just ONE* thing to add at any time? Well, with our never-before-Googled Stat Array Modifier System (SAMS), you can see in physical form what to add to whatever roll you need. Just find the trait on your character's SAMS grid and you're all set! Plus, all modifiers are semi-permanent, constant when you need them and shifting around as effects hit you. No more floating numbers; your SAMS does the math for you!

2: As a part of this revolutionary system, for backers pledging $121 or more, we'll add personalized SAMS Origin Point Stamps for each potential player and trait. When the game begins, how else will you keep track of where your traits start in the vast SAMS array? Well, no more guesswork for you! Just place your trait markers on the stamped area. It's that easy!

*TWO, technically.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 21, 2016

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
1. Have you ever said to yourself, "Ugh, real combatants don't take turns hitting each other, this game is compromising my ability to view this fantasy scenario in a realistic light! (I wish there were a shorter way to say that.)" Well, fear not, your days of waiting for your opponents to roll dice are over. With When The World Is Running Down, You Make The Best Of What's Still Around everyone in combat can resolve their actions simultaneously. And why stop with the combat you are currently in? As long as other combats are coincidentally happening at the exact same time it doesn't matter where they are, another part of the city, another continent, even another world, they can be resolved with the same resolution as your combat using the revolutionary Synchronicity II system!

2. Have your wizards been casting spells willy nilly, without rhyme or reason? That's absolutely not allowed in When The World Is Running Down, You Make The Best Of What's Still Around, they have to obey the rules and regulations inherent in the Zatch Billfold*. One plastic covered panel holds the wizard's 'signature spell' while the remaining 6 slots hold 1 spell card each, and only two of the six slots can be viewed at any time. Wizards must strategize carefully, because they can only cast from among the spells they can currently view, and once they do they remove that spell card from the Zatch Billfold. Out of spells? Why not throw money at the problem, because the Zatch Billfold is also an actual working wallet!

*Obviously, you can also use the included Zatch Billfold Simulation Playmat instead, but what fun is that?
P.S. I hope this feelie reference is the correct level of obscurity.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 2, 2016

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

If there'll be anything to get me back into the groove of making games, this'll be it. I'm in!

Bonus Challenge Sub-challenge 1: For years, players have always found it to truly express the inner depths of their character's souls. With the constant stream of objectives and the push and pull of the rest of the group, how can a player really get across how much taking down the feudal lord's fortress really means to him?

Now, there is a solution.

The revolutionary Soliloquy System changes role-playing forever, by introducing an incredible new dimension to the time honored art: at key dramatic points of the game, a player can engage in describing exactly how their character feels at the moment for as long as they want, free from the constraints of the events of the game, in exchange for extra power (1 to 3 bonus) to whatever action they take!

Let nothing stand in your way! Bare your character's soul to the world!

Bonus Challenge Sub-challenge 2: Sometimes, a Dream Sculptor cannot access the Dark Fantastique that gives them the strength to set up the events that create the foundations of the mind palace that is role-playing. The dreaded slings and arrows of real life just get in the way.

Fear not! For pledges of $350 or more, you get access to perhaps the most incredible tool in the Dream Sculptor's Wonder Pallete (Basic Wonder Palletes are still available to pledges of $275 and above): The Cathedral of Dreams!

The Cathedral of Dreams is an incredible flip book of complex mandalas, all painstakingly crafted with stained glass and framed in the sturdiest iron. When paired with the Aspirations of Transcendent Gaming series of meditation podcasts (introductory subscription rate of $30 a month after initial $425 pledge) your game mastering will be taken to a new apex, beyond anything which you've envisioned before!

Ten Thousand Names
Oct 25, 2007
Sign me up. I could use something to focus on for a while.

Terrible Hype:

Nothing adds more to the role playing experience like having another layer of uncontrollable randomness. Players will be dealt cards that can dramatically impact the flow of the game by providing bonuses to combat, adding new NPCs to help or hinder the party, or forcing immediate resolutions to troublesome encounters. Watch out though, the GM draws and plays as well!

The deluxe box set, in addition to having a set of gold foil cards and several kickstarter exclusive cards, will include a set of blank maps, which you will be able to fill out as you complete your campaign, along with a set of fine calligraphy pens to permanently capture the magic of your journey. For kickstarter backers of the $1500 level and above, a map of their unique world will be expertly crafted and included in the box set. Show the world your masterful vision of the perfect fantasy world.

FutureVillainBand
Feb 21, 2013
I would like to compete in this contest.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I'm going to regret this, aren't I? I have no knowledge of game design save for 'I think this is good' or 'I think this is bad'. Nevertheless, I shall be in with Bonus Challenge ZERO!

1. When interacting with players or NPCs and there might be significant consequences/benefits from failure/success, players will draw through a CUSTOM TAROT DECK with GLORIOUS ARTWORK by REAL WEBCOMIC ARTISTS. Be amazed and in awe as you draw The Hero of Time, allowing you to narrate a past event in which your character's heroics would impress someone else. Or get really lucky and draw The Five of Aces, which lets you more or less dictate the outcome! Beware of Death of a Salesman, however, as the GM will reveal that all that you aspire towards is an utter lie and you lose the respect of the person you're interacting with.

2. My super-deluxe edition of the game will come with four small red balls, numbered one through four, that you must place at the edge of the table one behind the other. If you don't like the outcome of a draw, you can knock the ball in front off the table and put it at the end... But beware! If that ball gets back to the front of the line and you knock it off again, the GM gets to go back to that decision you pushed and dictate a particularly nasty consequence. Time just works that way, OK? By the way, that means everyone travels back through time to that critical decision point and the game resumes with the opposite outcome.

Edit: Holy poo poo I just saw that Kickstarter. The only good thing I can say about it is 'At least it will keep Dennis Detwiller well-employed so that he can keep making Delta Green'.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 22, 2016

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
In Steely-Eyed Heroes, no longer are your actions tied to mere skills and numbers . Instead, use the power of descriptive phrases to define your characters and enliven your world! The Dice Pools you wield grow with your Hero's experience, and provide an intimate reminder of all the adventures you've been through together. Each princess you've rescued and dragon you've hunted shapes your character in a new and exciting way.

And if you back at the $275 dollar level, you'll get a set of four beer glasses with the Steely-Eyed Heroes logo on one side, and spaces for you to write in your achievements on the other. What better way to remember your 'character sheet' than to see it every time you take a sip?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

LuiCypher posted:

I have no knowledge of game design save for 'I think this is good' or 'I think this is bad'.

That sounds like an unfair advantage to me.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, sure, why not.

I'm not set on gimmicks yet though.

edit - Zero Day Zero Hour bullshittery

1. Never be kicked out of the Church Basement again with HEURISTIC-BIBLIOMANCY as a counteract to the Satanic Panic. Learn about your character through random consultation of the bible. Watch them grow strong as Samson, wise as Moses, or rich as Pharoah. Change the world by touching GOD and getting a free declarative action in on the Dungeon Master. Develop their unsettling personal history as you keep landing on references to slavery and murder during character creation. The only limits are those laid down by the word of the almighty*.

*System works equally well with any other book of considerable size. Unless it's a dictionary. Don't use a dictionary.

2. All pledges from the $45 "Scholar and a gentleman" tier and above can add a degree of ceremony to their gaming as they receive two finger-cymbals to be used instead of saying "stop" when choosing a page.

The $240 "Sunday School" tier is intended for retailers and should not be purchased by actual Sunday School groups unless they are capable of providing evidence supporting their tax status

goatface fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 26, 2016

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm in.

Edit:

1. Brown Dog Games' engineers weren't happy with the performance of d10-based systems -- too limiting -- so we built entirely new RPG mechanics from the ground up. Our boffins labored night and day to completely rework every mechanic you've ever known, and the results are nothing short of revolutionary. We're pleased to announce, in conjunction with Impact Miniatures, the exclusive D11 SYSTEM. This RPG system goes to 11! Each game box ships with two exclusive D11s, guaranteed to take your gaming to the next level. Are you ready for the D11 SYSTEM? Are your gamers?

2. For gamers who back at the Don't Stand So Close To Me level, we'll ship a separate convention kit: a Brown Dog Games ribbon for your badge (show your support!), a D11 SYSTEM pint glass for hitting the beer hall, and best of all, a D11 embedded in soap! Motivate those crusty gamers who haven't washed for days to clean themselves and experience the next revolution in RPG mechanics. Show you're part of the next level of gaming -- fly your D11 flag at the next show you attend!

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 28, 2016

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Abso-freaking-lutely in on this.

1. Having trouble finding someone to DM (or, if you're playing those fancy modern games, "GM") for your group? Well, worry no more! [Game Name] features the brilliant new NGNM Role-Playing Structure which eliminates the Dungeon Master completely. Now at last, you and your friends can play to your heart's content without worrying about useless things like "balance" and "fairness!"

2. Rolling dice is fun, but let's face it, we all have That One Friend who just flings dice everywhere. This usually ends up delaying the game, getting dice under your fridge or stove, and even in extreme cases blinding your dog. But we've heard your complaints! For those lucky players who plump for the $395 World Beater tier, we will provide, FOR NO EXTRA COST, one of our amazing patented Dice Pots(TM)! Now instead of having to pick errant dice out of your light fixtures, fishtank, or mom's rear end cleavage, you and your friends will have a sturdy, steep-walled target to keep your random number generators all in one place for easy viewing. Dice Pots(TM) have a high-performance interior coating of smooth luxurious Teflon for the ultimate low-friction dice rolling surface, and come with an easy-to-grip pre-drilled handle so you can hang it from your belt or backpack for on-the-go gaming!

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Ha, yeah, I'm in. One of my local GMs has taken Invisible Sun hook, line, and sinker, and I'm... Well. I think it deserves to have some of the piss taken out of it.

1) You know what nobody likes? When their super badass hero fails something because of a bad roll. Not anymore! In my revolutionary new game, you will always succeed at your stated objective! Are you a cattle farmer doing brain surgery? Doesn't matter! "But Wombat," you say, "Where will be the risks of failure?" Don't worry, my friend. You will still roll. But instead of rolling to check for success, you will be rolling to see how severe the unintended consequences and/or side effects of your actions are! The less skilled you are, the more likely to have terrible, terrible consequences for you or your loved ones.

2) For those who are interested in really advancing the cause of gaming, consider backing at our Hero of Fate level. Included at this tier is a fantastic resin statuette of a pair of feminine hands, made to represent one of the nordic Fates, holding aloft a beautiful bowl made in the style of late dark ages. This statuette, made from a laser-derived scan of a hand-sculpted piece by master artist Borejeorn Trebenedeleo and then artisinally created by our intern Alex with on his dad's new 3D printer, is the perfect size for a single set of dice. For those who already have a way to hold dice, it can also hold upwards of six Doritos, assuming at least two of them are kinda crunched up.

It's recommended to purchase one for each player at the table, and they can be added to your pledge for $195 each (+$30 extra S&H outside North America.)

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
I am so in. I didn't play Numerana and I haven't followed Invisible Sun, but if we're talking first time game design with a random element, I'm in. Let's begin with some challenges:

1. GMs, let me level with you here. You've built this fantastic, overarching, expansive world with so many little details, a likeable cast with extensive back story and you have this beautiful story planned out.
Right?
If you don't, that's fine, but let's focus on those who are organized for a second. You have every intricate step of your story game planned out, and then your players build PCs, typical murderhobos, kill some shopkeeper and all of your work just gets ruined. It sucks, right?
Boy, do we have an answer for you.
Introducing the Theatre Goers system, designed to supplement between player agency, NPC protection, consistent world-building or anything in between! The players primarily take the role of universal concepts and forces - for example, one player might be love, another might be sadness, another might be hubris, and a fourth success.
Each of these will give the players the drive, agenda and objectives to keep invested - but instead of playing as a single player, the players take turns playing as fleshed out NPCs. The beauty of this system is that, if you'd like, you can include the players in this setting/character building process, to which we feel Stage Building is the only appropriate title.

2. And for all of you theatre goers, what more is there in this for you than the game? Well, at the Peanut gallery backer level ($900), we bring the best - with your Sunday best. That's right, for the low price of $900123, we will include Custom fit suit, complete with themed suits and a special relationship chart tie, available in one of three colours. Immersion can make or break a game, so what better way to indulge yourself in the game than to wear it? In your new suit, you'll feel like a new player - or universal concept - and so you'll play in a whole new manner. And, since it's a whole suit, you can indulge in the game at your workplace or special events. Life is just a game - play it.

1:$+2d20 pnp outside of the USA.
2:If the total material required per M2 is over the maximum postage width in your country, costs may increase.
3:Hawke games takes no responsibility for suit uselessness due to backer size changes between the taking of measurements and the delivery of the final product.

--
As a rule question, are we allowed to attach a subtitle to our song of choice?
For example, if one gets Roxanne and I'm making a game about, say, time travellers preventing accidents which lead to the end of the world as we know it, could I call it
Roxanne:Putting on the red light across time and space?

--

And to make things interesting I'll decline the extra song choices from challenge 0.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Sure, I'll sign up as well. I need to write something.

edit: Adding hype

1. As we all know, video is the wave of the future. Kids today love video. That's why we're teaming up with some of the greatest producers to include a hyperreality vhs tape. Why roll dice when you can fast forward to the outcome resolution. Electrons are more random than plastic polyhedrals and twice as small. With hours of resolution mechanics, your DM will become VJ-M (video jockey master)

2. Playing our system is a journey and that's why backers at the limited $3000 level will win a road trip* to pick up their "new to you" van with the game's logo stenciled on the side! Show your devotion with this transportation that will sure to be the talk of Reddit.

*backer responsible for cost of trip. Van is located in Beaverton, WA.

Ulta fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 31, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

OP updated with entrants to this point! As a reminder, you have 24 hours (okay, like 27 hours, but who's counting) to post interest and get your Bonus Challenge 0 entries in.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
If anyone's on the fence because of the song title thing, I just took a look at this complete list of Police songs and honestly there aren't that many that you couldn't build an RPG around with a little thinking.

... Except maybe "Behind My Camel."

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Mirage posted:

If anyone's on the fence because of the song title thing, I just took a look at this complete list of Police songs and honestly there aren't that many that you couldn't build an RPG around with a little thinking.

... Except maybe "Behind My Camel."

"Behind My Camel" sounds like a one shot about people traveling a desert, wherein during each scene one player becomes the "Camel" halfway through and must try and warn the other players about the threat that's coming up.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Even in troubled times, tourists are willing to pay big money to some of the greatest wonders of the ancient world: the Great Pyramids and the Sphinx. Behind My Camel is a storytelling game of intrigue, ruthlessness, and deception as players make alliances and break bonds to compete to be the wealthiest tourist guides in Cairo. Build Reputation Points by constructing the most compelling narratives of Ancient Egypt, then expend them on Plot Disruptions to ruin other players' attempts to rise to the top. Set against the backdrop of the Arab Spring, Behind My Camel is a ripped-from-the-headlines game where spinning yarns and back-alley deals go hand-in-hand with increasing violence and brutal political crackdowns.

Will your players create the real stories behind their camels?

Note: this isn't my entry into the real contest, I'm just loving around in a meeting at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

Even in troubled times, tourists are willing to pay big money to some of the greatest wonders of the ancient world: the Great Pyramids and the Sphinx. Behind My Camel is a storytelling game of intrigue, ruthlessness, and deception as players make alliances and break bonds to compete to be the wealthiest tourist guides in Cairo. Build Reputation Points by constructing the most compelling narratives of Ancient Egypt, then expend them on Plot Disruptions to ruin other players' attempts to rise to the top. Set against the backdrop of the Arab Spring, Behind My Camel is a ripped-from-the-headlines game where spinning yarns and back-alley deals go hand-in-hand with increasing violence and brutal political crackdowns.

Will your players create the real stories behind their camels?

Note: this isn't my entry into the real contest, I'm just loving around in a meeting at work.

drat fine idea. Could be a competitive board game.

• Locked thread