Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
This is a thread to discuss playing Sharp Practice 2, the skirmish wargame by Two Fat Lardies.

The plan is to use Roll20 to play the game, allowing us to play asyncrinously and get a feel for the game. I've already mentioned this in the Historicals thread, so this is mainly to stop cluttering up the main thread.

So, what era would people be interested in playing, I don't mind making up several token types for the various units, but I don't want to commit to making tokens for every unit in every time period! I'm interested in AWI, Napoleonics and ACW.

I don't mind feilding questions about Roll20 either - although I'm not an expert.

I'll fill this out with more info once we get going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Looks like Napoleonic is a clear winner then.

So, as we can all do our turns whenever, what do people want to do, a series of smaller games, or a large game where we all control a smaller force (80 points or so) - Either wya, I think the starter armies from the rule book would be a good place to start.

goodness posted:

What scale is it

Any scale we want! I was thinking about scaling it to be around 28mm though, with each base being an inch wide on a 6x4 "table" , but I can easily drop that/increase the table size.

On that, does anyone have any ideas for maps? I can draw up pretty much anything, but if anyone has any good ideas to get me going I can base them off that.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Good idea, the base lists in the books look like this -

quote:

BRITISH REGULARS

Leader, Status III
Three Groups of 8 Regulars, Muskets

Leader, Status II
Two Group of 8 Regulars, Muskets

Leader I
One Group of 6 Light Company Skirmishers,
Muskets

Point Value: 56

quote:

FRENCH REGULARS TO 1812
Leader, Status III

Leader, Status I
Two Groups of 8 Line Infantry, Muskets

Leader, Status II
Two Groups of 8 Line Infantry, Muskets

Leader Status II
Two Groups of 6 Voltigeur Skirmishers,
Muskets

Point Value: 54

We can add artillery and cav later on.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

JcDent posted:

I thought sharp was too small for cav and cannon!!

Would lead some frenchies to their deaths, yes. Grey, you in Europe, right?

yeah, I'm a brit.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

How does this look?

Its all layers, so I can shift things around.

Here are the tokens.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 20, 2016

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Asychronous would work best for me, I can make copies of everything and we should be able to have more than one game running.

SImplefish, I guess that means you and me! I'll pm you the game invite.

If others want to sort out a live game, I can do the same for them.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Okay, so we'll play a simple encounter with no bonus points - keeping it really simple!

Which side do you want? north or south?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Not the best place for my deployment point, but it will have to do!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Guess which moron didn't change the player window.....

It should work now.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So for my game against Simplefish, it’s time to see what my leaders look like - with the tables from the book! I’ll not go into as much detail, Simplefish is doing a fine job of that!

Say hello to the 1st Innsmouth Regiment

Group 1
Leader, Status III - Sir Reginald Smashington-Smyth.
Military family with wealth and influence
Honourable
Sporting Life
Giant of a man
Face like a pig’s backside
Pleasant

Three Groups of 8 Regulars, Muskets (Companies I through III)

Sir Smashington-Smyth heads up this brave detachment of the British Army. He’s a rich sportsman how towers above all around him. Shame he’s repulsive to look at! He’s well known to be a pleasant and honorable man.
As long as you can have a conversation with him facing the other direction.

Group 2
Leader, Status II - Captain Horice Hogswash
Military family with wealth and influence
Cad or Bounder
View Halloo
Diminutive chap
Face like a pig’s backside
Affable

Two Group of 8 Regulars, Muskets (Companies IV and V)[/code]

Shame the same can’t be said for Captain Hogswash! He to has the “Innsmouth look” - but he’s a tiny mad, and a Bounder to boot!

Group 3
Leader I - Sargent Blunt
Risen from the ranks
Honourable
Flashing Blade
Average Stamp
Fair of face
Pleasant

One Group of 6 Light Company Skirmishers, Muskets (The 1st Dunwich Lights)

The Light Company is commanded by Sergeant Blunt. He’s a good looking chap - for now, it’s a real shame that his current swashbuckling charm is going to fade as his “heritage” comes in.

The 1st Innsmouth has been sent on a scouting mission to see where Frenchy is! They seem to get a lot of detached operations. Some would uncharitably say that's because the rest of the army gets uncomfortable when they are in camp!

The Frogs have the drop on the good Colonel!

They have the high ground, but this will not stop a Smashington-Smyth!

The next three cards are all command cards, which would normally cause an event, but as no-one is on the table, it’s ignored.
Then the card for the french 3rd Group comes up!

EDIT! My Extras will be a Physic, two musicians, a water cart and an ammunition cart. (I think that makes 8)

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 22, 2016

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Simplefish - just to let you know, I've added tokens for the support options, and you are good to go for turn 1, where your group 3 has been drawn.

I assume thats your skirmishers. Worst luck for me. ;)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

No problem, I wasn't sure if you were waiting on tokens/knew it was your activation.

Btw, if anyone else wants a game , let me know and I can set one up.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So I can't read rules! I shall replace my second Musician with a Holy Man from the local Esoteric Temple of Dagon!

I also draw the next command card.

drat. Sir Smashington is really letting the French get the drop on him!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So it doesn't look like Simplefish is doing all the work here, I'll do a quick comparison of our line units.

As you can immediately see, the British line troops are better than their french counterparts - they are Regular to the French conscripts, and worth two more points. Both are armed with Muskets and have the same number of soldiers in a group.

Formation Always - Both sides can always form up. These are trained troops after all!

First Fire - Both sides know to properly measure their powder before battle.

Controlled Volley - - Here we see the first difference, British troops can take a more accurate three step fire procedure (Load, Present, Fire!) while the French can only fire the quicker but less accurate uncontrolled volleys (Load, Fire.) - While the French will be putting out more fire, it will hit less often and has the additional problem of making it hard for them to STOP firing - if Simplefish wants to break a unit off, he needs to test for each group in a formation firing uncontrolled fire. failing means they will continue firing if able. This can lead to formations breaking up as part of a unit pulls back, but other parts stay in place.

Crashing Volley - Both sides can use command cards to deliver a more devastating volley, but the number of cards they have to use is lower for the better trained British troops.

Step Out The first French advantage! Their men are quicker to march, using the reformed columns rather than the unwieldy lines of the British.

Drill The British forces can change formation quicker with the help of command cards, while the French cannot.

Now we move on to the Special abilities -

The British have "Sharp Practice" - meaning they can spend two command cards to fire or reload without taking an action - aiming to get that fabled three rounds a minute! They are also Aggressive, making them good in fisticuffs, and have the "Thin red line" trait, allowing them to spend two command cards with a leaders activation to fire a volley into the enemy then charge in with 3d6 of movement.
All in all, the British troops are good shots and aggressive fighters.

The French only have "Pas de Charge" - This allows their leader to spend two command points to charge in with 3d6 movement while shedding two shock from each unit - meaning they can rally themselves and make on last push through enemy fire, which may be key!

I won't go into as much detail about both sides skirmishers - both have Sharp Practice though, and the skirmisher bonus means they are harder to kill than line troops - and Simplefish has two units of 6 to my own single unit.

I hope that's useful to people!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

simplefish posted:

Sorry Grey, I haven't disappeared, just something unexpected came up last night

Its not like I have you and a timetable!

Btw, can you see the command cards? if so, you can always draw the next one yourself, if not, I'll take a look at it at some point.

I fully expect you to get all your men out, then draw the tiffin. This will be followed by a massacre.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Finally the 1st Innsmouth take to the field!

Sargent Blunt and his six men are the Skirmishers at the Van of the regiment, and as such can deploy up to 12" from the DP - I can't get anywhere more than that without being seen.

This gives me something of a problem, as due to cunning deployment by Simplefish, I cannot get line of sight on him!

I have to go for the next best option, and put my men against the fence and ready to engage - As skirmishers, they upgrade cover by one, so should be harder to hit here. Plus we can put fire into anyone stupid enough to show their faces - lets hope the rest of the boys turn up soon!

The next card is a blue flag, followed by my 1st commander - Sir Smashington-Smyth has arrived! Shame he can only deploy his line infantry up to 6" from the DP. (The skirmishers on the hill can pretty much see the entire area of deployment, cutting down my options a great deal.

They come on in formation with the entire entourage. This is a stirring sight, but they are going to have a few issues getting out of the ambush that is forming. I could really do with my last unit then a tiffin now! (Or four command cards.)

I meant four command cards for me!

While I get Captain Hogswash and his men, Simplefish now has all four of his cards. With only 6" of deployment zone, I decide the area is to cramped to properly deploy the 4th and 5th companies, and will hold them off the board for now.

I'll now let Mr Simplefish decide if he wants to make a bonus activation or not - all my men have activated, and all I can hope for is my two command cards before the tiffin is drawn.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Sir Smashington-Smyth coughed, the damned light infantry had failed to warn him about the French ambush, his men were in disarray, but luckily no one had been hit!
He gritted his teeth and got to work.

The next card is just what I wanted.

My 4th command card - this means I can take a bonus action! I activate Sir Smashington-Smyth and get ready to pay the French back.

Steady Boys, Steady! PRESENT! FIRE!

Rallying off 2 shock, I now shoot back - I am going to fire a controlled volley, so lets see how the french like a taste of their own medicine!

I have 24 men in this formation, plus a status 3 leader - a total of 28 dice. I then lose 1 per 2 points of shock, leaving me with 25

This is first fire, plus a controlled volley, so I'm hitting on a 4+, as opposed to the French's 5+

Actually Grey, there is a 4 there, so that's 13 hits. This is six each, and the extra hit on Capt. Amiens' group .

In light cover, its 4+ for shock and 6+ for a kill, so both units gain 3 shock, and one French soldier is killed - Its now time to see if it was the officer - a roll of 1 in this case.

He's okay!

Battle has been joined proper!

The last card in the deck, a tiffin - and as everyone has activated this turn, we go into turn 2!

[b]TURN 2[b]

It looks like the British are still on the advance!

This gives me something of an issue, as my men have not been able to advance forward, I can either leave him off, or bring Captain Hogswash and his men in in column formation. I decide its better to have some men on the field rather than none, so I do so. They are just out of range of the French, but will have to hope they are not hit to hard before they can shake out of their march!

French Leader 4 (Capt. Amiens) is drawn, and Simplefish gets to ponder these new developments!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I think all you can really do is rally off a point of shock - he can perform all the same actions as a leader, execpt activate the formation.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Erm simplefish, I'm red, YOUR blue. so hose are my skirmishers activating......

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So this is the first time we've used Skirmishers - Skirmishers are special in that they get a free action that can only me used for movement.

I want to scoot along the fence here and get the drop on the Nice troops. I'll use one action to move and boost it with my free action.

Well, that's a bit pants! I use my last move to get a bit further along the fence line.

Well, it's better than nothing!

Three guys can see their targets now, next turn I should be able to get more into line - and I've preserved their first fire bonus!

I get a command card and then its the Voltigeur's turn to activate!

Thankfully, their a little out of it!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

You still around Simplefish? 'Tis your turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Right, I'm back from the hell of visiting family.

Are you still alive there? Or did you die under a pile of paperwork?

• Locked thread