Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

I got a call back literally 5 minutes later.

Proof that if you play enough first person shooters, you are definitely Ranger-grade material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Shove it you autistic slut.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
*KRUSTY IMAGE*

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
i dont even know whats going on in here

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Just one job? That's Bush league.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Great, now your boss is going to talk your ear off about all the lame puzzle games he loves. You brought this unto yourself.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

y not trainyard that game is the poo poo

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
an autistic guy applying for a job as a linux application engineer. WHO WOULDA THOUGHT

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
i got my current job by being drunk at the same bar for so many consecutive days that they just hired me to bartend

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Wait, when did I become autistic? gently caress.

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013

Brady posted:

The second you posted this thread.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Brady posted:

You play with trains on the computer and your job is Linux engineer...

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013
Zinge'd myself with my own gimmick account. :smug:

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

notZaar posted:

You play with trains on the computer and your job is Linux engineer...

Nah I told the person I wasn't interested in the position, hence the joke response. I'm just astonished that they called me back after that e-mail.

Edit- Also trains in Factorio are a pain in the rear end and honestly I haven't even gotten to that point yet.

LiterallyAnything fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 17, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Iron Prince posted:

i got my current job by being drunk at the same bar for so many consecutive days that they just hired me to bartend

Noice

Brady posted:

TheEffect posted:

The second you posted this thread.

The second you signed up for an SA account. :hfive:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Brady posted:

Nah I told the person I wasn't interested in the position, hence the joke response. I'm just astonished that they called me back after that e-mail.

Edit- Also trains in Factorio are a pain in the rear end and honestly I haven't even gotten to that point yet.

Oh it was one of those unsolicited job posting references from guys with suspiciously Indian names? I hate those.

KrustyTheClown
Aug 15, 2016

Hey, hey, hey, Kids!!!
Lets all suck my damn balls!!!
Whoa! What a go getter OP is!!!
Here, have a tasty reward:

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
gently caress yes

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

KrustyTheClown posted:

yeah more of this

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

KrustyTheClown posted:

Ayyyyy papi

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
what is factorio? i had a pirated copy of railroad tycoon (2?) and it was p fun building railroads all over the place and stuff but it always crashed

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Chinatown posted:

*KRUSTY IMAGE*

Same

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
I was gonna say that it takes a certain kind of person to excel at factorio, but apparently that's not you OP.

I mean the best coder I know has been playing the poo poo out of that game for many months.

edit: I've never played it, it looks more like a job than a game to me.

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016
The problem with not having a job is when you've been out of work so long no ones give you a chance. It's not like I don't want a job its that as every day goes by I just get worse and worse at actualizing the skills needed to find and keep a job, but this doesn't get me down because hey, once life turns around. It really turns around.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

monkey posted:

I was gonna say that it takes a certain kind of person to excel at factorio, but apparently that's not you OP.

I mean the best coder I know has been playing the poo poo out of that game for many months.

edit: I've never played it, it looks more like a job than a game to me.

I haven't played all that much because it's time consuming. I think I'm in the middle of re-hauling my power grid on my current save now that I have accumulators and solar power, which is why I've been dreading going back. It very much does feel more like a job than a game.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

Kang Wang posted:

The problem with not having a job is when you've been out of work so long no ones give you a chance. It's not like I don't want a job its that as every day goes by I just get worse and worse at actualizing the skills needed to find and keep a job, but this doesn't get me down because hey, once life turns around. It really turns around.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Kang Wang posted:

it's not about skills you nimrod, everyone in the workplace is borderline sober and competent at best. a gap in your employment history shows that you might not put up with the worst shittinesses from your bosses without walking. have you considered lying on your cv

e: on second thought it could also mean you've been in prison so make sure you write "i have not been in prison" somewhere on the resume too

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

it's not about skills you nimrod, everyone in the workplace is borderline sober and competent at best. a gap in your employment history shows that you might not put up with the worst shittinesses from your bosses without walking. have you considered lying on your cv

e: on second thought it could also mean you've been in prison so make sure you write "i have not been in prison" somewhere on the resume too

I most definitely need to update my resume but I don't really have anything to add. I don't think I'd ever consider lying in writing.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Kang Wang posted:

It sounds like you don't know how to BS a resume. This is a basic resume check.
Just write down what projects/training you were doing when you weren't employed.

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I don't have any ink if thats what you mean.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Factorio is real good and I am looking forward to the new rail path implements to make it out of beta and into the steam mainline.
I also do Railway Oriented Programming so I look forward to stealing your job OP

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016

notZaar posted:

It sounds like you don't know how to BS a resume. This is a basic resume check.
Just write down what projects/training you were doing when you weren't employed.

People will figure me for a fool wherever I go. I'm currently in a place where I need to get my body in order and try to understand my condition. I don't know how long I'll be able to walk much less excercise so I can look presentable in public again, but drat it if I won't try. The last few times I went out there I put in a five hour run and a three hour run. I drat near killed myself the last time but it did show that I most probably do have MS. The heat really exacerbates the condition.

Kang Wang fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 17, 2016

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard
I have six degrees and haven't had a job in forever. Currently working on my seventh degree. The last time I got a job, it was by saying I liked The Plague because it was about doing your best even when there was no loving point at all and you're going to die and never be given a chance and gently caress this earth. The time before that, I got a job by walking into the building and saying "I would like a job", to which they responded "The last time we gave you a job, you left us on bad terms" and I said "Yeah" and they said "ok, well come back on [date] and we'll give you the paperwork to fill out"

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Kang Wang posted:

I don't have any ink if thats what you mean.

good good that'll support your story

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i prefer nepotism

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016

DrowningInDreams posted:

I have six degrees and haven't had a job in forever. Currently working on my seventh degree. The last time I got a job, it was by saying I liked The Plague because it was about doing your best even when there was no loving point at all and you're going to die and never be given a chance and gently caress this earth. The time before that, I got a job by walking into the building and saying "I would like a job", to which they responded "The last time we gave you a job, you left us on bad terms" and I said "Yeah" and they said "ok, well come back on [date] and we'll give you the paperwork to fill out"

Plenty of experienced people will tell you once you get your foot in the door its up from there and this is true in theory but it all depends on how hard you work and how much you actually look forward to improving the people you work for and not just doing it for the paycheck. People will notice if you really care and people will thank you in kind.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

fwiw i quit my job to look after a kid but my cv is going to be a hoary load of bollocks about starting a business and studying this that and the other

it'll only be tangentially true but they'll buy it because hr people are as stupid and bored as everyone else and no one really gives a poo poo as long as you tick the right boxes and don't obviously belong to a non-protected minority

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
WHAT HAPPENED TO BLOCK C

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
what the gently caress are you people going on about this isn't loving e/n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

Kang Wang posted:

Plenty of experienced people will tell you once you get your foot in the door its up from there and this is true in theory but it all depends on how hard you work and how much you actually look forward to improving the people you work for and not just doing it for the paycheck. People will notice if you really care and people will thank you in kind.

Yeah nah I busted my rear end off and got thanked personally on a weekly basis by management/administration and they actually went out of their way to cut me out of the loop on managerial training that I had signed up for, three times not calling me after I had put my name down on the sheet. The also hosed me around and wouldn't let me use the women's locker room or (at first) leave my coat with the front desk, until I started walking to work through blizzards with just my work clothes and they thought I might die and they might get bad publicity or something. But I mean, that was a terrible company by all accounts, so it's not like my experience was special or anything, at least not in the broad sense.

• Locked thread