Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016
The problem with not having a job is when you've been out of work so long no ones give you a chance. It's not like I don't want a job its that as every day goes by I just get worse and worse at actualizing the skills needed to find and keep a job, but this doesn't get me down because hey, once life turns around. It really turns around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

it's not about skills you nimrod, everyone in the workplace is borderline sober and competent at best. a gap in your employment history shows that you might not put up with the worst shittinesses from your bosses without walking. have you considered lying on your cv

e: on second thought it could also mean you've been in prison so make sure you write "i have not been in prison" somewhere on the resume too

I most definitely need to update my resume but I don't really have anything to add. I don't think I'd ever consider lying in writing.

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

e: on second thought it could also mean you've been in prison so make sure you write "i have not been in prison" somewhere on the resume too

I don't have any ink if thats what you mean.

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016

notZaar posted:

It sounds like you don't know how to BS a resume. This is a basic resume check.
Just write down what projects/training you were doing when you weren't employed.

People will figure me for a fool wherever I go. I'm currently in a place where I need to get my body in order and try to understand my condition. I don't know how long I'll be able to walk much less excercise so I can look presentable in public again, but drat it if I won't try. The last few times I went out there I put in a five hour run and a three hour run. I drat near killed myself the last time but it did show that I most probably do have MS. The heat really exacerbates the condition.

Kang Wang fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 17, 2016

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016

DrowningInDreams posted:

I have six degrees and haven't had a job in forever. Currently working on my seventh degree. The last time I got a job, it was by saying I liked The Plague because it was about doing your best even when there was no loving point at all and you're going to die and never be given a chance and gently caress this earth. The time before that, I got a job by walking into the building and saying "I would like a job", to which they responded "The last time we gave you a job, you left us on bad terms" and I said "Yeah" and they said "ok, well come back on [date] and we'll give you the paperwork to fill out"

Plenty of experienced people will tell you once you get your foot in the door its up from there and this is true in theory but it all depends on how hard you work and how much you actually look forward to improving the people you work for and not just doing it for the paycheck. People will notice if you really care and people will thank you in kind.

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016

DrowningInDreams posted:

Yeah nah I busted my rear end off and got thanked personally on a weekly basis by management/administration and they actually went out of their way to cut me out of the loop on managerial training that I had signed up for, three times not calling me after I had put my name down on the sheet. The also hosed me around and wouldn't let me use the women's locker room or (at first) leave my coat with the front desk, until I started walking to work through blizzards with just my work clothes and they thought I might die and they might get bad publicity or something. But I mean, that was a terrible company by all accounts, so it's not like my experience was special or anything, at least not in the broad sense.

They thanked you by cutting you out of the loop? HA! I love how some companies have this attitude and then show this other face but its not the end of the world. Things will change when they put a women in the office. I myself am looking forward to being not paid three dollars an hour because I'm currently disabled and thats a lot to look forward to.

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016

The Bananana posted:

How are you printing your resumes then?

My dad has a laser printer. LOL. I have INK like photo ink but I don't have any tats in that I've never thought anything I've seen is worthy of being put on my body by anyone other than myself.

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016

Microwaves Mom posted:

I might have to borrow it from you. I'm also considering death by cop at this point, because they're so trigger happy, but I'm white so it might not work.

ALthough I'm fast approaching poverty line so maybe it will?

You should try something in writing field. I think you to be very funny and your writing unique.

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016

Drink Cheerwine posted:

do you think the firzst guy who invented a temp agencty initially just hired his replacement for cheaper and kept doing that instead of his real job?

I've seen Lorne Michaels be funny but he does very few scenes. Maybe this is what you are talking about?

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016

A Stupid Baby posted:

Until there's a reason to just loving hip check you out out the door. Girl who ran the front desk at my business got unexplained sudden firing. Best guess is the management found a volunteer willing to do most of her job for free (we're kind of half a state park) and they took the first incredibly minor non fuckup as a reason to not get sued over it and save 12 bux an hour or whatever incredibly onerous salary she was pulling down

Best actual non retarded advice is work hard and you might get lucky but you only ever really get ahead by never stopping the job search. You get way more mileage out of overselling yourself and scrambling to cover than you do out of doing an exceptional job and asking for a raise like a civilized person.

You seem to say money is the problem but I hope if you are still working there money isn't the reason they fire people because if things get bad, easily seen to happen if you work for the government, you'll start seeing some of your friends disappearing.

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016

A Stupid Baby posted:

If you're passably decent at math certain areas of the country also have an electrician shortage and they will literally pay to train you and if you pass you get a guaranteed gig. Still a scam but a scam you can leverage into work somewhere that isnt poo poo

I was once available to work in such a position but things are happening beyond my control on a physical level and I hope to god it doesn't get worse but thats something that might very well happen.

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016

A Stupid Baby posted:

That's half of it, the other half is the director is friends with the immediate replacement. This isn't really "government work", just a business that operates on state owned land and enjoys certain tax breaks, as someone who's worked for the USPS. I honestly prefer the paperwork idiot maze of the bureaucracy than the flagrant nepotism and ego-driven decision making of the private sector

I would like to think this is true but once Chelsea Clinton gets elected we will all have a good laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016

A Stupid Baby posted:

The catch is they pay you far less than an electrician would normally be worth and you probably have to sign a noncompete or something. Work two years, get some experience, then just gently caress off to some other part of the country without telling them where, idk

I pride myself in knowing what jobs to take and I do agree electricians are very important in the fact that if the global economy wants to continue expanding... Lets just say I don't have my money on quantum leaping.

• Locked thread