Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I liked the preview in as much as the style and spirit felt a lot like older seasons of the American version, with Adventure Host and a strong focus on the setting/culture, with what looks to be great production value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, I'm a pretty big evangelist for the 5x/week Masterchef, but that's doable in part because the format keeps things switched up and interesting. With the more homogenous Survivor format, it's a bit rough, and I'm saying this as a superfan who full out marathoned a few seasons when I rediscovered the show.

The episode length also isn't helping. The editing feels loose and sloppy.

Ten is clearly paying attention to ratings so hopefully they can sort this out, because at its root the show is very well-done, it's just got some very unfortunate kinks.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The red tribe's ongoing dumpster fire is just incredible :allears:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Potential spoiler tag rules for this thread seems weird. Yankee privilege~

I guess we can reliably get to episodes 12 hours after they air? That's accounting for the workday and such.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I have mixed feelings about that twist. I'm not such a purist that I hate it on principle, and as a supporter of Team TV it made for a fun tribal council. Sunapu's tribal alone would have been great, but the sheer stupidity of behaving like that in front of Vavau, dirty laundry and idol and all, was simply delicious (especially for the reaction shots). They could have just behaved like reasonable adults in the middle of a game where information is just about the most valuable weapon you have.

Gameplay-wise, I don't so much mind the initial twist as I do the secondary twist; I would have preferred something like initial immunity for the swapees. It would give them a chance to be used as leverage between alliances, expose tribal cracks, and further give them a fair shake at integrating with a new group. As it is though, two people were unfairly punished (Tegan now can't idol hunt, though that was smart on Nick's part) and as pairs instead of singles, their targets are even bigger than the singles' would have been even without immunity. It tastes too much like the horrible swap mechanic from China.

I don't think it's as hilariously inept as Outcasts, at any rate. Lill makes it to FTC because she's too annoying to tolerate at Ponderosa? Yeah, no.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If Barry is, in fact, playing the strategy of having zero strategy, it's easier to understand why he's not getting much screentime.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

obliriovrons posted:

Does anyone feel like Australia Jeff was pretty hard on Peter to everyone at the first challenge on the last episode? All like, "Peter decided this game was too hard and he quit" and then a whole monologue about how Survivor Is Difficult? Like, guy told his team to vote him out and then stuck around another three days, presumably hoping that would be his opportunity to get voted out, because he's got some sort of illness and hasn't been able to eat for a dozen days...

bowmore posted:

a lot of people applied and he quit pretty quick

Yeah, that was the mateship version of Probst rolling his eyes and chewing people out to their faces for quitting.

I think he'd been able to eat at least. His tribe still had fire and some rewards under their belt. I think that's just kind of why the American version rarely, if ever, casts truly older types.

I saw a something somewhere that their physical fitness exam was laughable, and I wouldn't be shocked if their psych evals don't quite know what to filter for yet.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
How do you figure? Rohan voted against her to try and get in with the Vavau people, after throwing her under the bus within earshot, twice this episode alone?

Creating the 4-4 split would maybe be more interesting, but Kat and Rohan still hate each other so the dumpster fire side of the tribe would still be boned on the next vote, one way or the other.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Kat wasn't good, but nixing Rohan still wasn't bad at the time.

Idoling Phoebe was the hilarious HII move that US Survivor/Probst has been jizzing over since they came up with the concept.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Still disagreed. Rohan was never going to be with her. Being at the bottom Cochran- style would have at least bought her time until either another merge/swap, or else for the infighting.

She went out last night for being very bad at this, granted.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lampsacus posted:

Yeah I think he's actually a sweet guy. I wouldn't mind being his friend or coworker in real life.

Otherwise,

How cool were those last two eps (9,10)?? So cool. I love this show. Episode 10 got me thinking about how, from us audience's POV, villains, underdogs etc emerge. And how sometimes the villians win and sometimes the heroes do. I often think back to that woman whose tribe kept losing until she was all alone in a cave. About how she gave so much to the game but still didn't win because of some politics down the line. The rain shall fall on everybody right? Survivor is so great.

Steph got a glowing edit her first time around, but, erm, do you remember how she handled things the next season when she returned?

Yeah.

The heroes/villains thing is a bit on the nose, since Steph's ouster on that season really put the Heroes' lovely behavior under a microscope and made the Villains infinitely more rootable.

Anyway, I'm now just plain tired of the Aganoa Vavau dumpster fire. We can debate twists all day, and I'm torn again, here because Saanapu absolutely earned that there tribe swap reward, but it's very obviously overpowered.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Mills posted:

Kat was a useless turd in challenges. She's physically overweight, sucked at puzzles. And had the personality of a fish.

I find this statement incredibly offensive.

Turds and fish did nothing to deserve being portrayed in such a light.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeahhhh, always cool to see a correct idol play, but I don't know how they think they're winning any challenges with that one. I'd have gone for Sue. Solid Vavau number, not a strong physical asset.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That stupid twist was dumb and bad.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

elgarbo posted:

That twist just seemed like the producers were afraid Phoebe would go home... so let's just make up some bullshit about not voting tonight.

Eh, they still had a production schedule. It's another twist that just smells so much like the China season I think one of the producers has to have seen it recently, emerging with a boner the size of Uluru.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lampsacus posted:

-i liked the most recent twist

why

Lampsacus posted:

-i just realized how many of the reward challenges have been food. I guess it's cheaper? It would be cool to see them in a helicopter going to a lagoon (or a bar : p )

They're also in it for a long haul. At their halfway point here, US survivors are going into endgame.

Lampsacus posted:

-connor is my homeboy. i love his wry defeated but smiling take on everything that happens to his tribe

He has the best, most pathetic smile ever. He's the guy Michael Cera's agent wishes he was. I just want to give him a giant bear hug every time I see him on-screen.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Dugong posted:

I used to feel sorry for Connor but now I think he's dull.

I disagree! Let's go through his arc.

-Part of majority within Saanapu tribe

-Comfortable winning tribe gets paranoid, vote comes down to a split between Connor and Flick. Said split is based on perceived shadiness; here I'd say that Flick was playing a very Phoebe game.

-Vote ties. Before the fact of the tie is revealed, the first vote-swap twist mechanic is revealed

-Lots of hemming and hawing, Connor basically throws up his hands to get shuffled over to Vavau

-Other twist is revealed, Connor pulls over alpha male for challenge winnings and also they seem to get along

-73 more episodes of Australian Survivor occur

-Connor has not only not gotten voted out, he's getting approached by the "bottom" alliance.

Like, think about this. The bottom alliance of 4 then 3 then 2 and now once again 2, goes to Connor for comfort and support.

Sorry. I'm a Connor fan.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
And actually now that I've written all that out it reminds me of something.

I kind of feel like Phoebe is a poor man's Flick.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
For example, see how Brooke got sent for the eavesdropping advantage? That wasn't an accident.

That's Parvati-style managing your lieutenant so as to think they themselves have power, as well as your little people so as to think to themselves, oh, that's okay, she's not doing much game-wise so this seems like the prudent choice.

The confessionals I really want to see regard how that choice went down.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
e14

They absolutely did the correct thing. Phoebe made the crucial overplaying misstep of trying to assuage Kristie, and badly. Like, the don't-talk-to-the-enemy strategy only works if you're Boston Rob with a comfortable majority. How does a criminal attorney not know how reverse psychology works?

The argument that Kate and Connor bought (and I love their bromance and hope they go far) is that Phoebe can and will throw anybody under the bus to save her own game. Kristie made that point very well and clearly to Connor. In a merge situation, having all three tribal connections at hand would serve her better than anybody else, and that's too dangerous a situation to risk given her proven gameplay.

I don't think Kristie is quite as big a goat as she seems. I buy the edit in that I think she truly saved herself with this one. Having her instead of Phoebe puts Kate/Connor in a stronger position going forward. She's trustworthy to the people she works with, and has literally zero outside connections. In short, she's a solid number and a clutch negotiation tool when a single vote can shift the outcome one way or the other. They would never be able to count on Phoebe's vote.

And yay Sue got a nice reward with Tribe Winning :3:

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 20, 2016

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fast Luck posted:

Well Phoebe being willing to throw people under the bus is what makes it not a slam dunk choice, but Kristie is just going to disappear at the merge and not be any help to them. Maybe Phoebe can help them set something up with Lee and El and others, and if not, she's a huge target anyway which is nice, right? I guess the counterargument is that she simply defects and leaves them high and dry but I mean I basically expect that from Kristie just as much. Just sucks more from my POV that the other tribe couldn't have stolen Phoebe/that Vavau didn't win one immunity/keep her around one more vote, not because she'd win but because she's a good player who would've brought elite TV at merge.

Kristie CAN'T leave them high and dry. She has zero options. That was my point. Connor and Kate need all the help/votes they can get, and after that Kristie's best move is to stay loyal to them, whereas Phoebe's best move post-merge is :iiam:

Think back to Aganoa; she had Kat as a pair, and the girls as a hopeful alliance, and she stuck to that. She never scrambled around being an alliance whore hedging against and with literally everybody. That was Phoebe. That's no bueno for a minority tribe going into a merge.

As for El and Lee, it's kind of a whatever. It's hard to see where they're currently sitting, since Saanapu's getting the Koror edit but it's dumb to keep somebody like Phoebe around in hopes of snagging two mystery people who are likely enough in their own new things anyway.

The other tribe could have stolen Phoebe. Brooke correctly decided against it because she could smell Phoebe's M.O. from a mile away (probably also her B.O., but hey, that's Survivor :v:).

She gave us elite pre-merge TV. Last week was stellar and you have her to thank for it. The show has 13 other people with games we haven't really gotten to see for a while.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Mills, the thing is not saying that Phoebe got outplayed; I'm not really arguing that (short of that she outplayed herself). I'm saying that for the two deciders, getting rid of her at that point was infinitely smarter than getting rid of Kristie. Got anything for that?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Phoebe's goat outplayed her.

Just let that settle in, enjoy your weekend, and break out the popcorn for the merge shenanigans.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Did I miss Kylie using her idol somewhere in the midst of the 87 episodes of Australian Survivor so far?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
And to be fair to this twist, I was expecting something much worse, like the four people out of the challenge being the only people for whom one could vote. Exile with three other people and a hidden idol was tame next to what they've done this season.

Seating them apart from the others for tribal to prevent collusion was a nice touch.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Everything about Brooke's and Flick's faces during that tribal made me want to punch them. It was Survivor: High School.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm on suicide team JL. She has done nothing wrong, many things right, and gotten unlucky. She was picked for Sanaapu to be gotten rid of, and they've failed so far.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The distinct subtext from chitchat this episode is that there are two couples being rude on either side of Flick, and actually she's the moron for not taking that seriously.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The you-loving-idiots jury reaction shots are pretty good.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Here's a reddit link that gets updated with all the Jury Villa videos accessible outside of Australia.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That was just an amazing episode for hashtag team TV, whether or not you think Flick's move was quite the correct one. I've hated on her all season and actually like her now.

I think I lean on the side of thinking it was a good move. She couldn't win against Brooke and like I said last week, she's been having power couples aligned with her. Granted, El and Lee fit that description, but I think she was probably correct to prioritize breaking Brooke and Sam.

Say what you like about production, but perhaps compare it to Africa where the contestants literally lived in fenced off zoo exhibits. The planning here has flaws, but for a first/third go I think they're doing well.

And at least they didn't loving name the season after arbitrary generation monikers.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Matt has very consistently done absolutely nothing in the game. The most interesting thing he did was switch his vote during the fake tribal. Not only would he not flip, he'd probably tell Brooke about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

I think we can all agree whoever wins this season went to poo poo a long time ago. Also gently caress Lee and El they're like contestants from some other poo poo Australian reality show that somehow ended up on the island by mistake.

Yeah nah, this season went overboard with twists, but many of the votes had enough gameplay behind them to maintain interest, even if the early merge was frustrating to watch. Hell, I've even been entertained by the challenges, and I almost always skip those for the American version. There's obviously a lot of room for improvement, but there's also a lot they're doing correctly.

• Locked thread