Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Lol this is Victorville on fire, expensive homes these ain't. Also it hasn't but d here in a while, it's not a fire zone.

Actually they're probably average price for literally the entire rest of the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Why are Californians so combative about their choice to put expensive housing in known fire zones

The rich people actually love getting to rebuild their house every 5 or so years it's basically a perk of living in Santa Barbara or Santa Monica. I've talked to people that literally see it as being paid by their insurance to redesign their house. Everyone else just shrugs because these fires never effect normal people unless it's one of the desert ones.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Lol this is Victorville on fire, expensive homes these ain't. Also it hasn't but d here in a while, it's not a fire zone.

I hope the Victorville film archive is okay. Prayers for Gregg Turkington.

1 like = 1 prayer.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

FogHelmut posted:

Lol only 3 metropolitan areas and the state is 90% of the coast. The Northeast chortles heartily.

yeah sorry that we also grow like half of the countries non-corn produce and also have some of the largest and most beautiful protected nature areas

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FogHelmut posted:

Lol only 3 metropolitan areas and the state is 90% of the coast. The Northeast chortles heartily.

lol im sorry what

look at how pissbitch tiny Manhattan and Boston are lmfao

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

lol im sorry what

Lol those places all have buildings that go upwards. LA is basically glorified suburban sprawl.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Yea redo that with population density. Also people in cali boggle my mind. I was at a party while visiting a friend once and told a girl I was from Wisconsin and she goes. Oh is that in northern California?

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 18, 2016

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

L.A. smells like an uncircumsized Macaulay Culkin, and the freeways are literally lined inch to inch with pedophiles if you look on Megan's Law. gently caress everything in LA except for the Getty, Broad, and Observatory.

But let us rejoice in becoming hell on earth for another year.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Actually they're probably average price for literally the entire rest of the country.

you're right, average home price is around $250k or so

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Moridin920 posted:

lol im sorry what

Conversely, if you tried to superimpose Chicago on that, it would just devour the entire map.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Preoptopus posted:

Yea redo that with population density. Also people in cali boggle my mind. I was at a party while visiting a friend once and told a girl I was from Wisconsin and she goes. Oh is that in northern California?

yeah bro there's idiots everywhere that shouldn't be news to you

Also, according to the latest US Census, LA and SF are #1 and #2 metro areas of population density. Oh and we have #3 and #4 too.

http://la.curbed.com/2012/3/26/10385086/los-angeles-is-the-most-densely-populated-urban-area-in-the-us

quote:

The nation's most densely populated urbanized area is Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, Calif., with nearly 7,000 people per square mile. The San Francisco-Oakland, Calif., area is the second most densely populated at 6,266 people per square mile, followed by San Jose, Calif. (5,820 people per square mile) and Delano, Calif. (5,483 people per square mile).

so what's up lmao

if you massage the numbers to your liking then NYC takes the #1 spot but LA and SF are still #2 and #3

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Naerasa posted:

Conversely, if you tried to superimpose Chicago on that, it would just devour the entire map.

also what?

Chicago (the city proper) is 234.0 sq mi (606 km2) with a metro area of 10,874 sq mi (28,160 km2) total. LA (the city) is 503 sq mi (1,302 km2) and the metro area is 33,954 square miles (87,940 km2).

LA is easily the largest metro area in the USA and it's 3x the size of Chicago.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/misscyberspace/status/766368377577189377

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

the northeast - 181,324 sq mi, 55,943,073 population = 308.52 people per sq mile
California - 163,696 sq mi , 39,144,818 population = 239.13 people per sq mile

northeast superiority

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Don't forget about Sacramento, which was listed as the 4th most hipster friendly city in the country. You midwesterners wish you had a city this cool to live in and it's like the black sheep of the California family

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FogHelmut posted:

the northeast - 181,324 sq mi, 55,943,073 population = 308.52 people per sq mile
California - 163,696 sq mi , 39,144,818 population = 239.13 people per sq mile

northeast superiority

sounds like our per capita GDP is about 20% higher than yours then

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, this happens literally every summer since forever.

James Cook documented it back in 1700s

like gently caress who cares

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

FogHelmut posted:

Why are people in Louisiana so combative about their choice to put literal shacks and hovels in known flood zones

Is this a serious response or

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

sounds like our per capita GDP is about 20% higher than yours then

lol like hollywood accounting is meaningful to anyone as if silicon valley is actually a real industry

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Monstrous Dooklord posted:

When California finally eats it do you think all the refugees will run to Texas or Tennesse and pretend like they've always been cool/lived there??

the only reason californians move to your humid garbage poo poo kingdoms is because they're cheap, or they want to start a snake wrestling church

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Dogmeat posted:

The rich people actually love getting to rebuild their house every 5 or so years it's basically a perk of living in Santa Barbara or Santa Monica. I've talked to people that literally see it as being paid by their insurance to redesign their house. Everyone else just shrugs because these fires never effect normal people unless it's one of the desert ones.

Why are Californians terrible

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if and when CA finally eats it the rest of the country will be an utter shambles as well

in fact we'll probably eat it because the rest of you losers keep demanding more and more and more of our tax dollars to support your insane dumb idiot states and eventually we'll buckle under the weight of like 30 freeloader conservative states

imo californians are pretty dope

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Moridin920 posted:

imo californians are pretty dope

I'm afraid my experience atm is very different

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
sriracha comes from California

think of us every time you use it :ca:

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Moridin920 posted:

sriracha comes from California

OK fire burn it to the ground now

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the california raisins come from california

naem
May 29, 2011

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Used to have a cool CA flag that said SANTA BARBARIAN that I got from some stoner guy when I was up there for Fiesta! a few years ago, not sure what happened to it tough

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Cuz we're better than you, and you're too bitter to admit it.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Cuz we're better than you, and you're too bitter to admit it.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnope

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

see, you're so bitter that you're constipated.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think its cool that i can drive my little car for 1 hour to goto the mountains to ski or hike or w.e OR drive 1 hour to goto the beach. i live in la.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
summer nearly over tho... that sux

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fire Update:

https://twitter.com/LATvives/status/766436382260678656

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
New York owns.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cymoril posted:

New York owns.

ya

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Franais.
California produces some drat good almonds.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I like philly better tho lol. Wtf

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

caution: restaurant may be hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

cool