Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
CPU: CompuDYNE Bit-Chomper 9.6thz
CPU Cooler: SaltonTestronics Heat-KONKEROR XL
Mobo: Fonic Labs BHK-91 Czar
Mem: 2mb Lazerchipz DDX 300
GPU: Greggs & Son Gamut-Gooser 900
Storage: Airnox 500mb GSD
Case: DaVinci Designs AlumiBaron Ventor
Power Supply: Crabshack Digital 40v Spark-Buddy
Optical Drive: 10x Galaxzee Discvolver
Sound Card: Refugee Audio Ice-Dancer TrebleKING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
Only idiots put 64Gb RAM in their PC

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
i browse from a kindle paperwhite

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I wrap six months of non stop projects very soon and my finger is hovering over the "buy now" button on a new rig and a vive so I can take a bag of weed and disappear into no man's sky for a month and then catch up on like three years of games I missed. From highschool to about six years ago, when I still worked in IT like everybody on this dumb gay forum, I was really up to date on hardware and poo poo. Now I'm really out of the loop, and the technology in the world I have emerged into is strange and makes me uncomfortable.

I think I just want the good value skylake i5 and a 1070? I'm jumping up like 3 sockets here. All the motherboards are like GAMING X-TREME EDITIONS and good basic antec cases cost twice as much as I remember.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
I have an overclocked 3570k with overclocked gtx 970 with overclocked 1440p monitor

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

bitmap posted:

I wrap six months of non stop projects very soon and my finger is hovering over the "buy now" button on a new rig and a vive so I can take a bag of weed and disappear into no man's sky for a month and then catch up on like three years of games I missed. From highschool to about six years ago, when I still worked in IT like everybody on this dumb gay forum, I was really up to date on hardware and poo poo. Now I'm really out of the loop, and the technology in the world I have emerged into is strange and makes me uncomfortable.

I think I just want the good value skylake i5 and a 1070? I'm jumping up like 3 sockets here. All the motherboards are like GAMING X-TREME EDITIONS and good basic antec cases cost twice as much as I remember.

lmao no mans sky is out and its loving terrible

Takane
Aug 24, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I5 6600k is an extremely good CPU and 1070 is more than you would need for a lot of stuff

Takane
Aug 24, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Fallows posted:

Yeah no man's sky is awful enjoy your paid dlc too.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
380x, 390, 390x, 480, 970, or 1060

i think they're all about the same price and performance, which is the one to get

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bitmap posted:

IMO a new rig will not recapture the magic of highschool where you had all the free time to play games and no responsibilities towards yourself and others. You might be disappointed on the money you spent when you find that most of the games that need a good computer run aren't that interesting to play for you.

But yes the i5 and 1070 are good choices

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

how much would it cost to build a computer to play no man's sky tia

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

bitmap posted:

NMS is not worth the $60 just for the game.

If you buy a new rig and VR (which is dead already) just for NMS, then check yourself into a mental institution.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

EX250 Type R posted:

i think they're all about the same price and performance, which is the one to get

there's no reason to go after last gen, personally id pick 1060, but 480 should be ok as well, now that it doesnt actively try to burn down your house anymore

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

EX250 Type R posted:

There is basically an entire sub forum for asking this question.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Fallows posted:

Takane posted:

Yeah no man's sky is awful enjoy your paid dlc too.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

NMS is not worth the $60 just for the game.

If you buy a new rig and VR (which is dead already) just for NMS, then check yourself into a mental institution.

man I just want to be high in my loungeroom playing a psychedelic space exploration game for a little bit.

Takane posted:

I5 6600k is an extremely good CPU and 1070 is more than you would need for a lot of stuff

cool

Zidrooner posted:

IMO a new rig will not recapture the magic of highschool where you had all the free time to play games and no responsibilities towards yourself and others. You might be disappointed on the money you spent when you find that most of the games that need a good computer run aren't that interesting to play for you.

Yeah, I know. That time and the patience to invest it is gone. It's never the same but my job is high intensity periods followed by long down periods and I really like taking the first week or two of my breaks to just junk out on games and my old rig was built for skyrim so it's like 5 years old now and I got the money to burn so :thumbsup::homebrew::thumbsup:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

my rig is a apple

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Ork of Fiction posted:

There is basically an entire sub forum for asking this question.

is there a sub forum for you sucking my dick you gently caress man

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

CPU: CompuDYNE Bit-Chomper 9.6thz
CPU Cooler: SaltonTestronics Heat-KONKEROR XL
Mobo: Fonic Labs BHK-91 Czar
Mem: 2mb Lazerchipz DDX 300
GPU: Greggs & Son Gamut-Gooser 900
Storage: Airnox 500mb GSD
Case: DaVinci Designs AlumiBaron Ventor
Power Supply: Crabshack Digital 40v Spark-Buddy
Optical Drive: 10x Galaxzee Discvolver
Sound Card: Refugee Audio Ice-Dancer TrebleKING

:captainpop: noice

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm p sure these days you can take any $500 Best Buy desktop throw a mid range video card and SSD in it and play everything at high graphics settings for under a grand. Hand picking parts is kinda going overboard.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Also go outside you gently caress faces video games are for winter.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
i'm still using the computer i built in 2009 for like 700 bucks.

That's like $100 a year value right there.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

EvilJoven posted:

People don't go outside anymore, and when they do go outside it's to play Pokeman video games.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

someone mail me their old gaming laptop they no longer use so i can play that blizzard shooter tia

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

EvilJoven posted:

You don't have to wait for winter to spend time indoors anymore gramps.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
lol! Computer? More like poo poo!!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

My battery went from 100% to 8% in 14 minutes yesterday. :grin:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I rebuilt my PC recently and it's the first time in my life having a good computer. Feels p. good.

i5-6600k (3.5 currently OC to 4.1)
ASUS Strix GTX 1070
Some too big CPU cooler
Only 8 GB or RAM I should get more
Old generic case and HDD

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Zidrooner posted:

This is true.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Parallax Scroll posted:

my rig is a apple

think different, user friendly?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Parallax Scroll posted:

my rig is a apple

I used to smoke out of an apple sometimes, but I've stepped my game up, you probably should too. Get a nice bong.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Are the 1070 cards down to $300 yet?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

notZaar posted:

Are the 1070 cards down to $300 yet?

you can get two 1060 cards for less than a single 1070

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

EX250 Type R posted:

you can get two 1060 cards for less than a single 1070

drat, I'll keep waiting then. I can still run dark souls just fine so no rush to upgrade.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

you fuckers really hammered my enthusiasm down

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Intel G3258
Nvidia 1060
32GB Ram
500GB SSD, 16TB from HDDs mounted in internal backplane raid cages, 16TB external back-up
blu ray burner

Its ridiculous how well a $35 processor can handle when its designed to just be a cheap overclock monster and games are still coded to really only use 1 thread.
Its a great upgrade from the Celeron 300A I was rocking before.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 18, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Filthy Hans posted:

I hope you have good AC, your basement's gonna get pretty hot running that bad boy at 4K

1080s and i7s have very reasonable TDP.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

bitmap posted:

you fuckers really hammered my enthusiasm down

excellent post/av combo

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Here's my motherboard, notice that there is no socket to insert into the pcie slot. That's because I ripped it out by accident when replacing the gfx card. It still works perfectly in the other slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I have a GTX 580 video graphics card that I bought some years ago. Still plays every game just fine

• Locked thread