Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was Bleach good?
This poll is closed.
yah 57 21.03%
nah 214 78.97%
Total: 271 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

I guess Uruhara did die. Oh well. Rip bleach, I read every release since 296. I think I'll go to a doctor for these brain problems now.

Bacontotem fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
That was a hilarious chapter, and I still want to know about the Soul King AND WHAT HAPPENED TO HALLIBEL!?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That was a beautiful piece of poo poo ending where nothing made sense and I love it

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Bleach shows that even the gooniest weedlord can phone it in for fifteen years before getting sacked. It's the feelgood story of the millennium.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Postal Parcel posted:

That was a hilarious chapter, and I still want to know about the Soul King AND WHAT HAPPENED TO HALLIBEL!?

soul king turned out to be irrelevant. same for hallibel. why bother to care about that bullshit when kubo obviously doesn't?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So on Ywach's motivation... Isn't that exactly what was supposed to happen when the Soul King died, which was only prevented by Ywach eating it and becoming the new one?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Serious Frolicking posted:

soul king turned out to be irrelevant. same for hallibel. why bother to care about that bullshit when kubo obviously doesn't?
I dunno probably because the #1 thing Kubo doesn't care about is making a good story?

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Ywachs actions and motivations seem wholly unrelated.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Ywachs actions and motivations seem wholly unrelated.

YWACHs quincy seem wholly unrelated to Ishida, his father and grandfather.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The_Frag_Man posted:

YWACHs quincy seem wholly unrelated to Ishida, his father and grandfather.

i'm still not sure if they were supposed to be living quincies or quincy ghosts.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
What a pile of garbooooooooooooo. I had to check in to see what I missed after checking out post uh..the last chapters I read were answering my questions of "what was up with Ichigo's dad" and "this is how Yachiru's sword works". This was after not looking for months post Full Bringer garbage. I am guessing even if I read, this would still suck.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Congratulations to Archenteron, JohnnyCocksville, DolphinCop, and Silver2195.

Dadchigo does not count as a form, so everyone but 1 person already had guaranteed victories.

Last name was chosen courtesy of Discord.

Tell me if you want an avatar certificate or a name change certificate. If you've got plat, I'll message you the code, if not, gimme a way to contact you.

i've got plat and i'll take the avatar certificate.

i'm happy that i guessed the closest ending chapter, but also somewhat ashamed that my correct guess hinged on the manga being cancelled without even being allowed a multiple-of-100 sendoff

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Fun-size Ichigo was cute, but other than that this comic was awful and I'm glad it's over.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
The most amazing thing for me is that this arc has lasted 4 years

A full third of bleach was the arc advertised as the final arc

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Sprite141, I'm sorry to tell you, but you're under the effects of Kyoka Suigetsu. That's the only way I can imagine the ending you must have read.

You actually both remember and can spell aizen's zanpaktou? Nerd.

Fabricated posted:

So you think you're gazing at a good ending... fascinating.

Look, I don't know what you guys were expecting if you considered this a lovely ending. Like, it wasn't great but it's ok. Yes, if kubo actually paced his manga he would have had much more fulfilling ending. You'd have to be a complete and utter moron to deny that. But with everything said and done, these last two chapters are perfectly fine! Compared to his rushed hack job of hurridly finishing the last part of his manga, I really was expecting much much worse.

Kubo skipped three-fourths of the final confrontation, and ignored a good portion of the stuff he was building up to. Yes, that sucks. But did any of you actually expect anything else? For him to pack everything into one final chapter? The man who has never been able to pace his comic, all the sudden doing so in two chapters? How is it that I'm the delusional one?

Guys, the manga became lovely and rushed because kubo can't pace his comic book. I mean it was obvious he was being forced to end it fast, and he's a moron for loving his pacing and never reigning himself in. All that isn't the ending itself being poo poo, it's kubo being poo poo. No one should ever defend kubo's awful pacing. He doesn't deserve it, he never hs and he never will.

That being said, I actually want to talk about the ending itself. We can talk forever about kubo being bad. We've been talking forever about kubo being bad, and will continue to do so. But the last chapter just released, and I kinda want to discuss that instead of saying holy poo poo kubo sucks guys I'm free now. Like, yeah he sucks, no poo poo.

So yeah, what about this ending pisses you all off so much? Like, in the last two chapters, what is it that is so poo poo? Is it the fact that your OTP didn't happen?

I don't like the fact that he had to skip so much, and that there was a lot left out of the last arc of the book. But he was being foced to end it, and he got himself into this mess so whatever. I also don't like that there were only 2 chapters to close the book out, so we didn't get to see much of the character's conclusion. Mostly just a "oh hey it's our friends, yes we are adults, hey I have a kid." Also I don't like that it didn't show the arrancar or urahara, but hey whatever the dude had one chapter left.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I've been thinking (no i haven't) and was there ever a single reason for any of them to be ghosts? What does making Soul Society a realm of the dead give the series as opposed to making it either an alternate dimension or a deliberately-archaic area of the world?

They age, they grow, they sure as gently caress can bleed and even sometimes die. Being dead changes not a single thing about how they interact with anything and the afterlife is just a second life but probably shittier. There were huge stretches of time where the fact that the majority of the cast were literal dead people was never relevant or mentioned. Would anything significant about the plot have been changed if instead of being ghosts with superpowers hunting down souls they were just regular humans with superpowers hunting down souls?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's okay Sprite141. Bleach is over now. You're free.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Eopia posted:

So on Ywach's motivation... Isn't that exactly what was supposed to happen when the Soul King died, which was only prevented by Ywach eating it and becoming the new one?

No you see, destroying it was going to blow up the universe(s).

But by eating it he was going ot make everyone immortal ,which is bad becaus??????????

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Yup, called it that we would get to hear about Chad without actually seeing him or getting any lines. Classic Bleach :allears:

It really amazes me that in the last chapter Kubo decides to waste time with that whole "Yhwach is backlolnope" thing, and give him a last minute motivation. Yhwach was a boring villain, and giving him a last minute motivation that goes against his every action doesn't make him interesting. Instead, he could have used that time to give at least a background cameo to all the 10002 good guys he introduced.

I'm looking forward to reading all the "What Happened to the Mouse" entries on Bleach TV tropes.

Urahara, Squad Zero, Yoruichi and brother, Ganju, Grimmjow, Nel, Hallibel, Kira, Momo, Kon, DON KANONJI :mad:

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The ending chapter isn't the only bad one. The arc leading up to it was bad and full of opportunities to tie up loose ends from 4 arcs ago. Those opportunities were forfeited in lieu of introducing 26+ new characters and an impossibly vague final boss who didn't even follow through on his death curse. And in the end, nothing happens. There was no meaningful effect that last arc had on the characters. They could have skipped 10 years in the future and had kids after fake karakura or even after fullbringers. The ending should at least make the final arc mean something.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Tunicate posted:

No you see, destroying it was going to blow up the universe(s).

But by eating it he was going ot make everyone immortal ,which is bad becaus??????????

Poor communication kills, Yhwacha was a good guy all along guyz

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Chad literally offscreen as the other characters have wives and children.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

gently caress this stupid series for daring to be entertaining in it's early days.
gently caress you Kubo for being an entitled shithead when under pressure. People take hiatuses for real reasons you idiot. Should have pressed your influence for more breaks when you were at the top.
gently caress you Jump for dragging this way past it's expiry.
gently caress you editor person for not nipping Kubo's dive to being terrible in the bud.
gently caress this stupid manga.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 18, 2016

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
It's over, it's finally over. I've been following bleach since the anime started and at one point during the many filler seasons i started reading the manga. That means i've been following this poo poo since 2004. God drat.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Voted Worst Mom posted:

The ending chapter isn't the only bad one. The arc leading up to it was bad and full of opportunities to tie up loose ends from 4 arcs ago. Those opportunities were forfeited in lieu of introducing 26+ new characters and an impossibly vague final boss who didn't even follow through on his death curse. And in the end, nothing happens. There was no meaningful effect that last arc had on the characters. They could have skipped 10 years in the future and had kids after fake karakura or even after fullbringers. The ending should at least make the final arc mean something.

Fair enough! The final arc did finish up some foreshadowing from prior in the series, but kubo didn't bother to follow through with any of it. Or just hinted at starting to reveal poo poo, but then just hosed off to do more one image double pages and having to super speed through to the end.

I will argue that aizen becoming soul king in the end is meaningful to that character.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've never posted in a Bleach thread before but having spent a decade of my life following this dumb comic for idiots out of sheer inertia, I'd just like to chime in that the ending to Bleach was perfect in every way. It came out of nowhere, was poorly paced, explained nothing, and was completely unsatisfying. So it perfectly matched the tone of the last few years of Bleach.

Bravo, Kubo. :golfclap:

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Sprite141 posted:

Fair enough! The final arc did finish up some foreshadowing from prior in the series, but kubo didn't bother to follow through with any of it. Or just hinted at starting to reveal poo poo, but then just hosed off to do more one image double pages and having to super speed through to the end.

I will argue that aizen becoming soul king in the end is meaningful to that character.

I argue that he is not in fact the soul king due to keeping all of his limbs.

e: Rereading this chapter: Ichigo spends more time talking to Rukia than Orihime.
Fitting

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The bleach ending is whatever

Like it seemed dumb when I read spoilers, it was still dumb, and I kinda just shrugged my shoulders and that was my reaction to that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bleach was my gateway anime, and now I'm glad it's dead.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha the Bleach subreddit actually is an echo chamber.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This thread is basically an echo chamber as well just in the other way

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Captain_duck posted:

It's over, it's finally over. I've been following bleach since the anime started and at one point during the many filler seasons i started reading the manga. That means i've been following this poo poo since 2004. God drat.

I am in this exact same boat except I jumped ship like 2 years ago and just now surfaced to see the flaming remains of said boat finally go out.

I think maybe if Bleach had ended with Aizen's defeat, maybe it wouldn't be as big a punching bag as it is.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
So wait... that was it? Was that even an ending?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Baal posted:

It'll probably be like the Naruto thread, once all the "DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD" posts are done we'll probably get some better retrospectives.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Haven't cared in years. How'd it end?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Haven't cared in years. How'd it end?

ichigo and rukia did not end up together

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
I love how even in the last two chapters, Kubo just had to waste a few panels with a cliffhanger that went nowhere.

Pierson posted:

I've been thinking (no i haven't) and was there ever a single reason for any of them to be ghosts? What does making Soul Society a realm of the dead give the series as opposed to making it either an alternate dimension or a deliberately-archaic area of the world?

That's been bothering me as well. If you forget about parrot boy, Soul Society might as well be Narnia, Wonderland or Oz.

Postal Parcel posted:

I argue that he is not in fact the soul king due to keeping all of his limbs.

Since when were you under the impression that these limbs aren't an illusion?

Kay Kessler posted:

Is the reason all these shounen manga seem to end in pregnancy some subliminal attempt to get the declining birth rate up?

It's either a lazy way to pitch a sequel that resets the ridiculous power level arms race, or all these mangaka just really liked the ending of Digimon 02.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 18, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

ichigo and rukia did not end up together

Orihime?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

yea :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Baal posted:

I think this thread (or whatever) gives credit where credit is do.

It's not like people didn't say when they thought a chapter was good.

• Locked thread