Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will crumble the quickest?
GEO
CXW
GOKU
View Results

• Locked thread
JB50
Feb 13, 2008

paul_soccer10 posted:

i would also like to kill that judge that was taking bribes from private prisons to give harsh sentences to defendants

This guy got 28 years in prison for it:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2011/08/11/139536686/pa-judge-sentenced-to-28-years-in-massive-juvenile-justice-bribery-scandal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Fallows posted:

Ok i just learned about shorting stocks yesterday thanks to GBS, this seems like an appropiate time to do that... anyone got any money now that i can use?

yes, let's all short on margin

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Parallax Scroll posted:

will they let you out before they demolish it

I'm typing from under the rubble of my cell rn.

It's pretty cramped. :(

I'm surviving on a diet of pruno and oligarch tears atm.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Ayn Rand lied to me... unforgivable

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I wish I could make a profit by keeping people incarcerated but the guy I have trapped in my crawlspace only has 8 bucks in his wallet

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dookifex_maximus posted:

pretty sure america's national character will go down in history as "a republic that was captured by powerful interests almost immediately after it was founded and was used to enact great evil"

nah our prisons in the beginning were models for the rest of the civilized world.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gigawhite posted:

I wish I could make a profit by keeping people incarcerated but the guy I have trapped in my crawlspace only has 8 bucks in his wallet

try taking his blood once a week

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

nah our prisons in the beginning were models for the rest of the civilized world.

im pretty sure the american prison system was created to provide a cheap slave rental service after the civil war

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Teflon Don posted:

Ayn Rand lied to me... unforgivable

Rand Lied, Browns Died

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rutibex posted:

im pretty sure the american prison system was created to provide a cheap slave rental service after the civil war

yeah

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

we had "prisons" before that.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
you know I want to know what crimes the corporations committed. they have not been justly sentenced to slavery under their shareholder slavemasters!

i move we emancipate these corporate persons from their vicious slaving human owners

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
question: is the government prison system equipped to handle all the surplus humanity of color in the US?

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

dookifex_maximus posted:

you know I want to know what crimes the corporations committed. they have not been justly sentenced to slavery under their shareholder slavemasters!

i move we emancipate these corporate persons from their vicious slaving human owners

Being a private business who gets schooled by a government run competitor is pretty much the most egregious crime possible for titans of industry

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

paul_soccer10 posted:

question: is the government prison system equipped to handle all the surplus humanity of color in the US?

i think they will choose to knock off the drug war poo poo instead of building new prisons

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
I cant describe how i felt when i read this news this morning. it felt like revenge. gently caress you GEO, CCA, MTC

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dogmeat posted:

Being a private business who gets schooled by a government run competitor is pretty much the most egregious crime possible for titans of industry

I don't think they give a poo poo, it's just about filling as much into your pockets while the taps are turned on and the getting is good as you can

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

industries that should not be for profit:

healthcare
education
criminal justice

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

industries that should not be for profit:

healthcare
education
criminal justice

all of them

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Professor Shark posted:

I don't think they give a poo poo, it's just about filling as much into your pockets while the taps are turned on and the getting is good as you can

You're probably right but i'm sure the other rich guys are going to give them private prison CEOs quite the ribbing at the next quarterly meeting.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
Lol yes let's make it profitable to put people in prison what could possibly go wrong

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm willing to bet that telecoms could be done better by the government, they're really lovely in Canada because we have like 3 companies and they've all decided to work together and be equally lovely rather than try to give customers what they want.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
You won't be laughing when no guards show up to work tomorrow because they aren't getting paid and the doors to the prisons are left open.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

DrBouvenstein posted:

Why do they both have that little bump back up after the initial plunge?

Google "dead cat bounce." You usually (always?) have that after a big sellout. Part of it is that in general is a better strategy to sell parts of your portfolio that have done well to buy parts that have not if you have a balanced portfolio otherwise it will not stay balanced, and when a stock plunges its decreased price attracts a lot of these almost automated buys. Part of it is speculation on that one stock -- people/funds think it will weather X and buy because the price is good.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DrBouvenstein posted:

Why do they both have that little bump back up after the initial plunge?

cuz

lol they're all gonna get hosed

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Sheep-Goats posted:

Google "dead cat bounce." You usually (always?) have that after a big sellout. Part of it is that in general is a better strategy to sell parts of your portfolio that have done well to buy parts that have not if you have a balanced portfolio otherwise it will not stay balanced, and when a stock plunges its decreased price attracts a lot of these almost automated buys. Part of it is speculation on that one stock -- people/funds think it will weather X and buy because the price is good.

There's also a really good argument that a 33% drop in stock price is an overreaction to the news that something like 15% of their business is going away in the next five years, but gently caress private prisons, who would ever buy stock in that?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
although tbh I do think 35% is a bit of an overreaction so I bought some shares on a lark to see what'll happen tomorrow

EngineerSean posted:

gently caress private prisons, who would ever buy stock in that?

lol yeah but screw it im only holding it for a day to profit off other assholes buying this up

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
This was good news to wake up to

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

lol yeah but screw it im only holding it for a day to profit off other assholes buying this up

I admire your "make money off of rubes" spirit.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

plain blue jacket posted:

Lol yes let's make it profitable to put people in prison what could possibly go wrong

I mean, it's not like we'll end up with the largest prison population on the planet or anything lol

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

i was in 3 different private prisons and while i hated all of them i want to see GEO Group suffer the most. gently caress GEO so loving hard

GEO runs almost all the federal halfway houses so im curious to see if those will be shuttered too. im guessing not

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Until such time as the DOJ says "Private prisons will be outlawed" these companies will survive.

IMO the 30% drop is an knee jerk reaction sell off. And unless states, that also pay for these prisons, follow the example of the feds, they will recover some of their value.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yYS0ZZdsnA

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Volume posted:

I never thought I'd see the day. My god this is fantastic news

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

Until such time as the DOJ says "Private prisons will be outlawed" these companies will survive.

IMO the 30% drop is an knee jerk reaction sell off. And unless states, that also pay for these prisons, follow the example of the feds, they will recover some of their value.

yeah the federal system doesn't even use that many ACTUAL private prisons. the one i was in was the only one on the entire west coast.

now what they do use a lot of are private "transfer centers" which are like quasi-prisons that you stay at after you've been sentenced but are awaiting transport to wherever you are going and private halfway houses. plus the states are the main contractors with private prisons anyway

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe this is the DoJ's apology slash consolation prize for the whole Hillary thing

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

the only thing that sucks for the inmates is that private prisons have far, far, far superior commissaries than regular prisons tho

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
This seems very anti capitalistic

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

the great deceiver posted:

i was in 3 different private prisons and while i hated all of them i want to see GEO Group suffer the most. gently caress GEO so loving hard

GEO runs almost all the federal halfway houses so im curious to see if those will be shuttered too. im guessing not

DARE to stay off drugs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darth123123 posted:

This seems very anti capitalistic

a good capitalist recognizes that public goods exist and are necessary for the correct functioning of the market despite the fact that they are not profitable (thus state invervention is required)

typically these are (who knew) defense, healthcare, flood control systems, street lighting, poo poo like that

• Locked thread