Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will crumble the quickest?
GEO
CXW
GOKU
View Results

• Locked thread
Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moridin920 posted:

a good capitalist recognizes that public goods exist and are necessary for the correct functioning of the market despite the fact that they are not profitable (thus state invervention is required)

typically these are (who knew) defense, healthcare, flood control systems, street lighting, poo poo like that

Lockheed Martin disagrees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Gin posted:

industries that should not be for profit:

healthcare
education
criminal justice

As long as we have a Legislative Branch that can get rich from making laws favoring this business or that, nothing will ever be fixed. They write the laws.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Volume posted:

I never thought I'd see the day. My god this is fantastic news

Bear in mind, private prisons are not going away. In fact, there are many private prisons who don't handle DoJ contracts, but instead handle, say, ICE contracts or things like this. Private prisons and government contracts with them still exist--just not with the DoJ.

If this poo poo is building to Obama actually declaring an end to the drug war I'll lose my poo poo, but I think this has likely been in the pipeline for years now and they're just dropping it now for whatever reason. The DoJ's classification of marijuana is still horse poo poo.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Somebody in PYF posted an article from Motherjones about a reporter who applied at a private prison. On his resume he disclosed that he's a journalist specializing in criminal justice and got hired anyway because they were so desperate for bodies. Interesting article, especially how his own attitude towards the prisoners is changed (negatively) by his experience at the facility.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

the great deceiver posted:

the only thing that sucks for the inmates is that private prisons have far, far, far superior commissaries than regular prisons tho

oh no the poor inmates i feel terrible

poor wittle timmy cant get his favorite canybwar anymore

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darth123123 posted:

Lockheed Martin disagrees

We don't have a private military in this country though. Yeah we buy things to equip it from a company but that doesn't mean the public good of defense is suddenly privatized.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The DoJ's classification of marijuana is still horse poo poo.

DEA, but why mince poo poo when I can give you a huge loving sunbeam of hope.

http://www.npr.org/2016/08/10/489509471/dea-rejects-attempt-to-loosen-federal-restrictions-on-marijuana

Read the man's exact words.

Chuck Rosenberg posted:

Drug Enforcement Administration chief Chuck Rosenberg says the decision is rooted in science. Rosenberg gave "enormous weight" to conclusions by the Food and Drug Administration that marijuana has "no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States," and by some measures, it remains highly vulnerable to abuse as the most commonly used illicit drug across the nation.

"This decision isn't based on danger. This decision is based on whether marijuana, as determined by the FDA, is a safe and effective medicine," he said, "and it's not."

Notice his use of language. How he goes about telling us all that marijuana will still be schedule one.

His use of currently, His faith in science, His deference to the FDA and his trust in Science, means that; Should, with testing and facts based in scientific, peer reviewed studies, he, the loving director of the DEA, is willing and able, to change his mind.

We haven't had a director that, dare I say Liberal, in over twenty years.

Remember when it was simply, "DRUGS ARE ALL CRIMINALS, LOCK EM ALL UP AND THROW AWAY THE KEY! EXECUTE THEM ALL"?

poo poo's come a long way, yo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah it sounds like he's basically saying 'as soon as the FDA makes sure it's okay then it's okay.'

That's way different than the last one (that woman I forgot her name) who was basically just 'idc weed is the devil lol.'

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
all physical capital should be held as a public good, if you want to be a capitalist you can corner the market on virtual dildos in second life

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah the soviets tried that it didn't work out so well tho dog

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Chinatown posted:

oh no the poor inmates i feel terrible

poor wittle timmy cant get his favorite canybwar anymore

we could buy fresh produce including avocados at the commissary, you couldnt do that at a regular prison

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

poo poo's come a long way, yo.

I don't want to rain on the sunbeam here but "coming a long way" still means that fools get they rear end locked up for some sticky green still. Ain't no thing, and the science is in favor of medical marijuana, not against. Abuse of marijuana is not even remotely comparable to abuse of alcohol--the fact that liquor, which in the town I'm currently sitting in has proven to be a toxic pill of disease and despair, is legal, advertised, sold and the cornerstone of a massive vice industry is proof positive that there's absolutely no "common interest" at work with our drug classifications, and the most harmless, most healthful possible mind-altering substance, marijuana, is classified in the same category as loving heroin

And heroin is just a form of painkiller, like those ones you can be prescribed, and like the ones that are the fastest growing source of addiction in the country.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
marijuana is bad because the migrant workers smoke it and rape our white women duhhhhhhh

i don't need no SCIENCE to tell me that

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't want to rain on the sunbeam here but "coming a long way" still means that fools get they rear end locked up for some sticky green still. Ain't no thing, and the science is in favor of medical marijuana, not against. Abuse of marijuana is not even remotely comparable to abuse of alcohol--the fact that liquor, which in the town I'm currently sitting in has proven to be a toxic pill of disease and despair, is legal, advertised, sold and the cornerstone of a massive vice industry is proof positive that there's absolutely no "common interest" at work with our drug classifications, and the most harmless, most healthful possible mind-altering substance, marijuana, is classified in the same category as loving heroin

And heroin is just a form of painkiller, like those ones you can be prescribed, and like the ones that are the fastest growing source of addiction in the country.

poo poo don't change overnight, yo.

And when it has, COUGH COUGH, poo poo get whack, yo.

Patience, yo.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

poo poo don't change overnight, yo.

And when it has, COUGH COUGH, poo poo get whack, yo.

Patience, yo.

But the president literally signed an act that ended alcohol prohibition on a federal level.

That's all Obama has to do, in fact, he can now do it as an executive order. Hell, he only has to give a single speech, and say the words "I now declare the War on Drugs ended."

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
life in prison for anyone caught with any amount of the devil's lettuce

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

But the president literally signed an act that ended alcohol prohibition on a federal level.

That's all Obama has to do, in fact, he can now do it as an executive order. Hell, he only has to give a single speech, and say the words "I now declare the War on Drugs ended."

Eat your vegetables, then you can have your dessert.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
My butthole is a private prison. The recidivism rate is astounding.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

that's not how it works lol and we've been over this before

The DEA is mandated by congressional legislation to provide X Y and Z and the president can't override that, nor can he set budgets. Prohibition was almost 100 years ago and was done via different means. The executive branch is in fact required by legislation to provide certain things and the president can't just take his ball and go home.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

we could buy fresh produce including avocados at the commissary, you couldnt do that at a regular prison

how inflated were the prices

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
don't be ridiculous, just saying a thing makes it so, that's why communism means gulags and no voting

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

Eat your vegetables, then you can have your dessert.

You can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
eat my meat you fuckman

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why'd the goon to go prison.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

:qq:

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

VendaGoat posted:

His use of currently, His faith in science, His deference to the FDA and his trust in Science, means that; Should, with testing and facts based in scientific, peer reviewed studies, he, the loving director of the DEA, is willing and able, to change his mind.

Shame the FDA can't legally study the effects of marijuana because of it's current classification

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
the jerk store called

they said your wife was there having sex with a stocky bald man

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

how the gently caress does ANYONE read ANYTHING on twitter

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

935 posted:

Shame the FDA can't legally study the effects of marijuana because of it's current classification

Except they currently have a number of studies ongoing as of right now and the DEA just changed the research marijuana growing scheme to award grow licenses to research applicants instead of the old way where they just shipped out skunk weed from ole miss once or twice a year to fund scare studies

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Good time to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inAl3sbj4ZM

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001

935 posted:

https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=H4300

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

cuck cuck im gay posted:

very carefmully

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

cuck cuck im gay posted:

Autspergers

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
There's a phase 2 clinical trial on smoked marijuana being conducted through the FDA in Colorado right now

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

935 posted:

That's also getting changed. Baby steps.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Holy poo poo was I beaten.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

That's also getting changed. Baby steps.

It literally just didn't get changed. Again, men have been serving lifetime prison sentences, although thankfully most of those, I believe, have been commuted.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Here's a really good movie about private prisons and what life is like in one. I highly recommend it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It literally just didn't get changed. Again, men have been serving lifetime prison sentences, although thankfully most of those, I believe, have been commuted.

:420::350::2bong::350::420:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Holy poo poo. This is the best thing I've heard all year.

• Locked thread