Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will crumble the quickest?
GEO
CXW
GOKU
View Results

• Locked thread
gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
now gut the defense contractors and ill be happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

the great deceiver posted:

california will not be anytime soon as the only way the state manages to stay under the federal court imposed cap on the number of inmates in the state prison system is by sending inmates to out of state contract prisons

Eh, there's only about 5-6% of California inmates sent out of state, I wouldn't be surprised if that was completely phased out. The CO's union is very strong and adamantly against private prisons.

Toys For Twats
Sep 30, 2007
One awesome dude
America's prison system seems kinda hosed up imho

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cabbagedude posted:

It is.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

cabbagedude posted:

it's a manifestation of our arms race of being tough on crime and the current american mentality that has resulted from it

even when someone gets jail or prison time for something silly and nonviolent like marijuana possession every person from church-going christians to school teachers love to laugh and joke saying things like "don't drop the soap! hahahahahahahaha" because daily vicious beatings and rear end rape followed by being stabbed to death with the sharpened handle of a toothbrush is the absolute pinnacle of acceptable comedy in the US

Toys For Twats
Sep 30, 2007
One awesome dude
It's always a bit jarring when there's a joke about prison rape in a movie or something

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Robot Pride posted:

it's a manifestation of our arms race of being tough on crime and the current american mentality that has resulted from it

even when someone gets jail or prison time for something silly and nonviolent like marijuana possession every person from church-going christians to school teachers love to laugh and joke saying things like "don't drop the soap! hahahahahahahaha" because daily vicious beatings and rear end rape followed by being stabbed to death with the sharpened handle of a toothbrush is the absolute pinnacle of acceptable comedy in the US

You forgot, and TOTALLY punishment worthy of marijuanna posession.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Forer posted:

You forgot, and TOTALLY punishment worthy of marijuanna posession.

Do people really go to prison for marijuana possession that isnt large amounts or a third strike thing?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIMEvL7FOwc

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JB50 posted:

Do people really go to prison for marijuana possession that isnt large amounts or a third strike thing?

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

cabbagedude posted:

It's always a bit jarring when there's a joke about prison rape in a movie or something

no it isn't

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JB50 posted:

what's your score on the paper bag test

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Fact: About 750,000 people are arrested every year for marijuana offenses in the U.S. There's a lot of variation across states in what happens next. Not all arrests lead to prosecutions, and relatively few people prosecuted and convicted of simple possession end up in jail. Most are fined or are placed into community supervision. About 40,000 inmates of state and federal prison have a current conviction involving marijuana, and about half of them are in for marijuana offenses alone; most of these were involved in distribution. Less than one percent are in for possession alone.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...ession-19691231

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JB50 posted:

Fact: About 750,000 people are arrested every year for marijuana offenses in the U.S. There's a lot of variation across states in what happens next. Not all arrests lead to prosecutions, and relatively few people prosecuted and convicted of simple possession end up in jail. Most are fined or are placed into community supervision. About 40,000 inmates of state and federal prison have a current conviction involving marijuana, and about half of them are in for marijuana offenses alone; most of these were involved in distribution. Less than one percent are in for possession alone.

Do you want me to post the gif again?

I pronounce it JIF in this case.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

JB50 posted:

"Being sentenced to prison for marijuana possession by itself can happen -- but it’s exceedingly rare."

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/oct/14/bernie-s/bernie-sanders-says-people-are-getting-prison-sent/

So, yeah, it does happen but you will definitely go to jail for a while before trial which is similar conditions.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

Do you want me to post the gif again?

I pronounce it JIF in this case.

•A survey by the Bureau of Justice Statistics showed that 0.7% of all state inmates were behind bars for marijuana possession only (with many of them pleading down from more serious crimes).

https://learnaboutsam.org/the-issues/marijuana-and-whos-in-prison/

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

JB50 posted:

Men are serving life sentences for pot. So long as even one person is incarcerated for smoking weed, then injustice stands.

The War on Drugs is a war on the poor, on blacks and other minorities, and it is a destructive, dangerous, deabilitating domestic and human rights violation that should never have been permitted to last as long as it has.

EDIT: It is immoral for the government to fine you for smoking weed, it is an overt way for the government to take even more money from you. While alcohol continues to kill thousands every year, it is not subject to fines unless abused in the pursuit of violence or while operating a motor vehicle.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 20, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JB50 posted:

•A survey by the Bureau of Justice Statistics showed that 0.7% of all state inmates were behind bars for marijuana possession only (with many of them pleading down from more serious crimes).

https://learnaboutsam.org/the-issues/marijuana-and-whos-in-prison/

What do you want me to say? I already have stated my opinions on pot, many, MANY, loving times.

I also understand the.....Shudder......other side.

Legalize it, I agree.

If you wish a parody thread, I can accommodate. If you want a serious discussion, which seams to be the theme, no matter how ironic it seems in this thread, I can also accommodate.

I'm flexible like that. ;-*

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

cuck cuck im gay posted:

Are you braindead

It has nothing to do with "poor prisoners"

It has to do with judges giving a kid who shoplifted 10 years in prison so he kills himself because the judge got a kickback from PRISONPLEX LLC

how about the kid just doesn't break the law

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

What do you want me to say? I already have stated my opinions on pot, many, MANY, loving times.

I also understand the.....Shudder......other side.

Legalize it, I agree.

If you wish a parody thread, I can accommodate. If you want a serious discussion, which seams to be the theme, no matter how ironic it seems in this thread, I can also accommodate.

I'm flexible like that. ;-*

I wasnt even replying to you originally, wtf are you going on about?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Pothead thread started!

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

polio king posted:

you break laws all the time consciously and unconsciously

if you ever land in prison even the CO's will tell you that the difference between the person on one side of the bars and the person on the other side is that one of them got caught

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hello we found marijuana on your vehicle and now we are also charging you with disorderly conduct because you're an angry black man and oh dude lol you spit on my shoe that's assaulting an officer boy

DA offers a plea deal down to just possession and assault, public defender folds immediately

a DOJ statistician cackles

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's a gateway drug because they use it as an excuse to stop and search you for no reason get it hahahahaha

there's states where police on patrol can enter your house and search it if they say they heard a toilet flushing bc "they might be flushing drugs cuz the police are rolling by"

im not even kidding look it up

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

polio king posted:

that's not an answer to "what should we do with this kid who broke the law"

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
my two best friends in prison were both doing 10 years for weed. in each of their cases the feds never even recovered a single physical gram of marijuana, much less the hundreds and hundreds of pounds they charged them with. think about that for a second.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i sold that CXW this morning when i woke up for a tidy 7.5%

idk how i feel about that but whatever

polio king posted:

"when I run the country there will be NO CRIME comrade!

I will say it and it will be SO."

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

gary oldmans diary posted:

now gut the defense contractors and ill be happy

Can Jenji Cohen make a spinoff of the Pentagon Wars?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JB50 posted:

I wasnt even replying to you originally, wtf are you going on about?

You've replyed to two of my posts. Swallow my cum.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

You've replyed to two of my posts. Swallow my cum.

Maybe youre paranoid from smoking all that devil weed.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JB50 posted:

Maybe youre paranoid from smoking all that devil weed.

Until my dillz is shoved into the back of your throat and my progeny flows freely into your stomach, go gently caress yourself.

Thank you for your time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

polio king posted:

How about you eat my entire rear end

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Oh no, my retirement funds!

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

They're too big to fail.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

the great deceiver posted:

my two best friends in prison were both doing 10 years for weed. in each of their cases the feds never even recovered a single physical gram of marijuana, much less the hundreds and hundreds of pounds they charged them with. think about that for a second.

im sure theres literally nothing else to this story

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Kanish posted:

of course there is dumbass but the point is that overly broad conspiracy laws plus insane drug sentences keep beds filled and filled beds are what keep the prison-industrial complex going

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Kanish posted:

Im glad someone said this.

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't wait for the literal Walmart of the PIC to emerge from this.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

they were both importing weed by the hundreds of pounds from british columbia to the US. one distributed it in the Seattle area the other moved it cross country to brooklyn. neither of them were busted with any physical marijuana they were both snitched on and plead guilty to conspiracy. i dont think you guys understand how unbelievably draconian federal drug laws are. i received 2 37 month sentences served concurrently for possession of about 50 grams of heroin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

if i could do it over again instead of selling dope i would have invested in for-profit correctional services

• Locked thread