Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will crumble the quickest?
GEO
CXW
GOKU
View Results

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Good. Private prisons were a bad bad bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JB50 posted:

I was gonna say this too.

Also, oh no the poor prisoners. Stop breaking the law assholes.

also what is this fuckshit mentality of 'oh they broke the law that means we can treat them however' like it's still 1200 AD or something.

they're still entitled to humane treatment ffs.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

unpacked robinhood posted:

Why are thy plunging for us who don't follow us politics ?

DoJ memo says they're gonna not renew or drastically reduce the scope of all private prison contracts with the ultimate aim of eliminating them entirely because

quote:

“they simply do not provide the same level of correctional services, programs, and resources; they do not save substantially on costs; and as noted in a recent report by the Department’s Office of Inspector General, they do not maintain the same level of safety and security,”

basically bc they suck in every way and aren't even cheaper really

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
anyway if i were a betting man i'd be buying available puts and/or shorting those to 0

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

A picture of the current stock holders of these corporations.

lol I'ma go on StockTwits just to see people raging h.o

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DrBouvenstein posted:

Why do they both have that little bump back up after the initial plunge?

cuz

lol they're all gonna get hosed

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
although tbh I do think 35% is a bit of an overreaction so I bought some shares on a lark to see what'll happen tomorrow

EngineerSean posted:

gently caress private prisons, who would ever buy stock in that?

lol yeah but screw it im only holding it for a day to profit off other assholes buying this up

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe this is the DoJ's apology slash consolation prize for the whole Hillary thing

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darth123123 posted:

This seems very anti capitalistic

a good capitalist recognizes that public goods exist and are necessary for the correct functioning of the market despite the fact that they are not profitable (thus state invervention is required)

typically these are (who knew) defense, healthcare, flood control systems, street lighting, poo poo like that

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darth123123 posted:

Lockheed Martin disagrees

We don't have a private military in this country though. Yeah we buy things to equip it from a company but that doesn't mean the public good of defense is suddenly privatized.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah it sounds like he's basically saying 'as soon as the FDA makes sure it's okay then it's okay.'

That's way different than the last one (that woman I forgot her name) who was basically just 'idc weed is the devil lol.'

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah the soviets tried that it didn't work out so well tho dog

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
marijuana is bad because the migrant workers smoke it and rape our white women duhhhhhhh

i don't need no SCIENCE to tell me that

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

But the president literally signed an act that ended alcohol prohibition on a federal level.

That's all Obama has to do, in fact, he can now do it as an executive order. Hell, he only has to give a single speech, and say the words "I now declare the War on Drugs ended."

that's not how it works lol and we've been over this before

The DEA is mandated by congressional legislation to provide X Y and Z and the president can't override that, nor can he set budgets. Prohibition was almost 100 years ago and was done via different means. The executive branch is in fact required by legislation to provide certain things and the president can't just take his ball and go home.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what the president could do is pardon all the federal marijuana prisoners

not the state ones though

:synpa:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Every day I pray that our government would open its eyes to the fact that life for everyone would be a lot better if they just stopped doing awful poo poo.

nah we should sell more arms to 3rd world countries when they donate to our foundations lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

the great deceiver posted:

not bad actually, an avocado cost like 80cents

that's actually cheaper than they are in the store right now probably

granted you probably don't get paid even minimum federal wage in prison

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
mange mite is alright

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

the great deceiver posted:

i made 12cents an hour

well if you think about it that avocado is payment for an entire shift of work which they surely are profiting off of to the tune of at least $100+ dollars

that's p hosed up right there lmao

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what is this degeneracy

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
there's like 12 year old girls in bondage in that post you just posted

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Profondo Rosso posted:

holy poo poo they're actually ending private prisons? this is probably the most significant step forward as a society so far in my lifetime

most of the private prisons have state contracts though

though it's probably an indication that the state gov'ts will go that way too

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hello we found marijuana on your vehicle and now we are also charging you with disorderly conduct because you're an angry black man and oh dude lol you spit on my shoe that's assaulting an officer boy

DA offers a plea deal down to just possession and assault, public defender folds immediately

a DOJ statistician cackles

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's a gateway drug because they use it as an excuse to stop and search you for no reason get it hahahahaha

there's states where police on patrol can enter your house and search it if they say they heard a toilet flushing bc "they might be flushing drugs cuz the police are rolling by"

im not even kidding look it up

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i sold that CXW this morning when i woke up for a tidy 7.5%

idk how i feel about that but whatever

polio king posted:

how about the kid just doesn't break the law

"when I run the country there will be NO CRIME comrade!

I will say it and it will be SO."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
pick up that blunt citizen

• Locked thread