Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«11 »
  • Locked thread
Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

She'd gone down hard, a long, fatiguing day finally claiming her body. Thus, she woke last, finally rising and rubbing her eyes, brushing her hair back as the others go searching about.

Azure stays sitting on her bed-roll, watching. A breath and she tries to reach out again.

Going to try Omniscan (6) again, not that I expect it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Courtney D'Arvent - Campsite

"The punk's running away!" Courtney yells as they point in the direction of the shadow they see. "Least, it's something...how did they look to anyone else?"

As they scan the trees, they hum a certain melody as they rapidly blink. "Oh the shark has pretty teeth, dear/and he shows them pearly white/just a jack knife has Macheath, dear/and he keeps it out of sight..."

Reading the spell description for Aura makes me think it can be used against obscured targets, so I'd like to use Aura 14 to see if I can't get a better look at this thing.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi Aoshima - Welcome to the Jungle

"Naomi," she said to the uniform, while some of the others went looking for... whatever there was to look for, really. "I can take care of myself. You don't last long in Ohio if you can't look out for yourself. Not much different than this place, really... they've just painted the jungle a different color."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.

Clapping Larry

Irina- Campsite

"Oh-i-o, I know it not. We should at least wait to see if there will be an attack, and then go to sleep. Do they also have the Big Birds in Ohio?" Irina asks looking into the jungle. She was use to the pines cold, not the hot jungle, with strange brushes and hissing birds.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

"I saw...something," he says reassuringly to Jeff. "I did not get a good look but the shouts and light must have run it off. I agree with the Captain, let us keep the fire burning bright unless it has not been deterred from approaching again." Following his own words, he chucks more wood onto the fire. "I will remain awake a while longer, as should most of us, in case they return."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Jungle camp

Azure scans the area and finds no human minds to be found (except for the ones she knows of already). Courtney casts their spell, but it fails to illuminate anything. There is the soft sound of something moving in the jungle, but the sound is growing softer and harder to hear.

Azure got a success, but the power can't detect non-sapient minds. Courtney's spell failed and loses 1 fp.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

"No, no big birds outside the gardens," Naomi said. She wasn't entirely surprised that the woman had never heard of Ohio -- there hadn't been one in her own homeworld, either. "Just back home, in Aoteara, before they all got killed. But a big bird shouldn't be too much of a problem for people who know what to look out for."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Courtney D'Arvent - Campsite, FP 10/11

"Lost 'em," Courtney sighs as their singing comes to a stop. They take a deep breath very noticeably before continuing. "Whatever it is, sounds like it's moving away from us, like it's making a runner."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.

Clapping Larry

Irina- Campsite

"Ah yes, then you will do well. Yes, I hear them moving away." Irina said first to Naomi and then to Courtney, "Would a torch fence discourage them, or should we try to sleep after... that." She said the fire still in her hand until she was sure that there wasn't anything there. The flare had driven off the creature, but she had few of them, and they had no idea how many creatures would be out there in the night.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Jeff

"I always knew Ohio was dangerous," he says with an offhanded manner as he looks back at Naomi and Irina. Even now, he can't help but let the joke happen. Of course, with the things moving away again, it made it easier to have a sense of humor.

To Courtney and Miles, Jeff shakes his head. "Seein' one thing is at least more than I saw. I just heard." He stops for a moment to put the gun down next to him. For now. "I haven't known birds to be all that bright. Maybe all we need is the normal watch schedule and to be ready with some pyrotechnics, you know. Since they bugged out in a hurry before anyone got a good look maybe that's good odds."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.

Clapping Larry

Irina- Campsite

"Ohio sounds like a bad place. Like Austria in Bavaria Provence. Many bad stories from there." She said still peering into the darkness, finally satisfied, she places the flare, with the burning end on the burned out clearing for the fire, so that it would not move around. Irina stretched again, in her tank and shorts looking at the rest of them. "So sleep then?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hector
The young man lowers his sling, but he keeps it in his hand, still one edge.
"Wheter birds or wolves or God knows what else, if they are animals odds are good that they won't get near the fire. Irina's torch fence idea isn't a bad one, I know I'll sleep better with that, we just need to put them far enough from the trees that we don't cause a forest fire."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.

Clapping Larry

Irina- Campsite

"I am not good to make torch, Hector, you should make while Naomi and Courtney make sure no Birds attack." She nodded very seriously, "I wish I paid attention in class, I will know if we have such creatures there then." She said scratching her face. "I will stay up... if you need help." She said unsure, eyeing her bed that looked more like a nest of blankets and twigs.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

Azure rubs her eyes, makes a face. She definitely *feels* like something is out there, but she can't find anything.

~~I don't sense anybody,~~ Azure casts to the group, her mental voice rather glum.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Sounds like a plan to me," Courtney nods before re-checking their revolver. "Naomi, what've you got?" They motion towards the last motion they saw. "See anything?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He sees and hears nothing creeping out from the jungle and the others confirm his thoughts that the intruders have retreated for now, so he sheaths his sword and stifles a yawn. "Making torches to surround the camp will take time, but those on watch can make them whilst keeping the fire we have stoked to keep the animals at bay, should you wish."

The knight looks to Azure as the woman's voice enters his mind once more. "Your talents continue to impress, my lady. Well it seems we can relax somewhat for now as whatever came for us has fled. I suggest purely maintaining the watch as we have been and for those who stay awake to call us again should you see or hear anything large rustle nearby."

With the rush of adrenaline now passed, his yawning increases and he raises a hand to rub his tired eyes. "Tomorrow we should search this landscape more and find a more defensible ground to camp. A cave perhaps." He beds back down on his bearskin rug and throws a blanket over him. "Wake me if something comes to kill us." And with that, he is out like a light.

Quirk - Deep Sleeper

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.

Clapping Larry

Irina- Campsite

Irina glances over at Miles enviously, "Now, I wish I could do that." She said mostly to herself. The flare stowed away and the excitement seemingly over, she took her blanket with her to her nest and laid down as well. Sitting up on one elbow as she watched the others she said to them, "I am going to try to go to sleep myself, unless Courtney, or Noami need me to stay up." She said sleepily holding her head in one of her hands as she watched them.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

~~More impressive if I could detect anything. It may be an animal. They are...difficult for me to detect.~~ Virtually impossible. For whatever reason, the less human a creature is, the harder they are to sense, let alone talk to. With the camp settling down, Azure lies back down, aiming for sleep again.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.

Clapping Larry

Irina- Campsite

"I do not know if talking to animals would be interesting or not. I imagine they see a lot of weird things people do." She said with a bit of a smile as she looked at Azure, "That is impressive you can sense others around you, it must be bothersome in crowds. Do you get like other people making your head spin?" Irina asked honestly, wondering if that in Azure's world she has the most juicy rumor mill.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi listened in silence for a while as the others went back and forth. Even for someone who knew about worlds beyond the veil, who could do things that were meant to be impossible, some of it was almost too strange to believe. Who ever heard of someone being able to sense things by their brains?

"I don't know how wise a torch wall would be," she said. "Fire is notorious and unpredictable. It wouldn't take much to get out of control, and then we'd have much greater problems than some unknown animal. I think it's better we stay alert."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

~~It is...~~ to admit her limitations? The truth is, it's very hard to sense people who she doesn't know - even those she does can be difficult. It was never a focus of her training. ~~...distinctive, Captain~~ she says, leaving things carefully neutral, as she rubs her eyes and shifts on the ground.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.

Clapping Larry

Irina- Campsite

"I think Noami is right. Better not to burn down the whole place. I will sleep good then you seem to be as good as a Russian." She said relaxing again and giving the highest compliment she could think of. She closed her eyes and then they shot open as she lay thinking on what Azure was saying. "Azure, you HAVE to tell us one day the weirdest thing you have seen someone think." She said and turned over in her blankets laying on her stomach.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Y'know, I can set orange juice on fire when I'm trying to cook breakfast," jokes Courtney to Naomi as the others tuck in. "Don't ask me what I can do with an entire forest."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

He listens to the back-and-forth for a while, slowly sinking back towards a reclining position. "Yeah, one fire is probably enough to keep track of," he agrees. "The rest we can figure out in the morning when we're all fresh." He pauses as he starts to settle in. "Have fun."

But even as he quiets down and closes his eyes, he's not convinced that falling asleep is all that likely...

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

A deep, long breath as she tries to settle into sleep again. She lies with her legs together, head back, fingers laced together on her stomach. Without moving, she replies to Irina, ~~I doubt you would believe me, Captain.~~

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Jungle camp

Time passes. The sounds from the jungle are only small animals moving about, insects calling out, and the distant sounds of waves crashing on the shore. Nothing approaches the camp site. Whatever threatened the campsite before appears to have left looking for prey that might not put up as much of a fight.

If people want to keep talking or go into last watch, go ahead. Otherwise I'll move things to the morning.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"It's so drat quiet--nothing like the city," Courtney observes, scratching at their pants leg. "Feel like I'm gonna get jumped by some toughs with golf clubs any second. You from the wilds like this, Naomi, or are you a concrete jungle kind of fella, too?"

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

It still didn't feel real to her -- but it had to be real as anything, real as the last eight years. Real as the clothes on her back, made in a world that had never been hers to begin with. Real as the humidity in the air and the slight taste of iron on her tongue and the feel of the dirt beneath her boots.

"Where I come from there's not much but city," she said. "Don't know if you've ever been to Japan, but mine -- there's a city there that had as many people living in it as my entire country, practically. Blocks and cubes and slabs of just grey. This all almost feels an exhibit, like some workers are going to turn on the lights in the morning and find we've got in with the animals and what do we think we're doing, the tourists are about to arrive. What of yours?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Oh, my world's full of hustle and bustle," Courtney nods in response, turning towards Naomi. "It had its highs and its lows. At its worst--or out of the bottom of a glass--my home's a dirty and smelly place, filled with shadows and desperate down-on-their-lucks punks that like to hide in alleys with baseball bats and switchblades and small gats. And I mean REALLY small gats, about the size of your palm. A city of death." They hold up one hand and measure the span of their palm with the other to demonstrate.

"But at its best...oh, when you can watch the sun rise over the high rises, the lights bouncing off the windows and lighting up the tan and the black and the blue and the green below, and all the people waking up to a brand new day, and the world is warm and right, its a great city. Sure, it's got blocks and cubes, but they're all so wonderfully colored. It's a city of life." Courtney closes their eyes and leans back in nostalgia. "You got the bitter pill and the sweet peanuts side by side...that's life."

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

"Gat," Naomi said, shaking her head. "Suppose I'll have to learn a new language every new world I get shunted to. I barely spoke English before I fell out of mine, you know? Nobody speaks it there, nobody that matters. But I hope you find a way back to yours."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Same to you, Naomi, same to you." Another nod of well wishes, and then Courtney reaches into their suit jacket and produces their revolver, carefully keeping the business end away from them both. "And here's what a gat is. Y'know, a piece, a gun, that kinda mack."

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

"Yes, a heater, right," Naomi said. Slang, slang no matter where she went - it had been bad enough her first time in Chukyo, with everyone speaking Japanese that slid across their tongues, flitted into the air like angry bees, almost impossible to catch. "May it not have any use."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"And if it does have use, may we use them first and best," answers Courtney with the light-hearted tone of a bachelor party toast. "Hey, in my line of work, these 'heaters' get a lot more use than you'd think."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Jungle camp

Time passes, the darkness begins to fade. Those in the camp begin to wake up.

I'm here. Morning has arrived, so its time to get up.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at Sep 19, 2016 around 00:39

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

Morning.

It came without any more yelling of danger, or any hissing and stalking around in the jungle. Jeff may not have slept well, but at least the excitement was during his turn; he didn't miss much rest. He was not habitually one who got all that much, and another commotion might have ruined the rest of his beauty sleep. When the sun rises and he begins to stir, he almost feels fresh, though there's a rumble in his stomach, and a mild sense of disappointment.

For it isn't the place he thought he would be waking up. The trees were wrong, the soil and earth was wrong, the heavy, humid air already heating up was laying over the camp. At least it felt like it was - perhaps it only seemed that way in comparison to the pines and oaks of the Poconos. Who's to say he couldn't have been right back there instead, that the rest had been just a bad dream from half a dozen different causes?

Mostly awake but not yet progressed beyond grumbling, Jeff sits up. "No offense to present company," he says, "but I was kinda hoping that when I woke up it'd be back where I left." He reaches for the open pack of cigs, lights up in what feels like almost one long motion. He looks to Naomi and Courtney. "So, our mysterious jungle Big Birds kept their distance, I'm guessing?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

Daylight comes for them all.

The relentless rays of light probe in and hit Azure's eyelids, setting off all the signals to wake up in her brain. Stupid brain.

Azure sits up, rubbing her eyes again and looking about. Jeff seems to have risen already, while hte other still sleep, for the moment.

~~None taken, Mister Florence,~~ comes the response cast. ~~It appears not. Have we yet determined the bathing situation?~~

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

"The beach may be the best bet for a morning bath," says the knight, his voice drifting across the camp with the slow speech of a man still waking up. In truth he's been awake for some minutes already, yet still he is laying down with eyes closed after remembering his surroundings are sadly not a dream like he had first thought. A nightmare, perhaps, but no dream...

He's always had a knack for sleeping in the worst of places -the siege of Acre being a particular one to remember- but still he feels a whole day spent in bed would not go amiss at this point. However, the new day brings only new work to be done to ensure their survival.

"A trip back to the beach might be a good place to check," he says, rising to his feet and strapping his sword belt back on. "Not only to wash but to see if other wayward souls have gathered there. Or, dare I hope for it, some sort of rescue."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hector

The young man stretches as he wakes; he rubs the last remnants of sleep out of his face.
"Yeah, that's probably a good idea, Sir Miles. I might be able to catch some fish in there. Wherever we might be, a fish is still a fish, one would hope."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

"Well, there's your answer. Think that's gonna be the best bet," Jeff agrees in reply to Azure, before he then nods to Hector. "I can help with the fishing, too. I gotta help out somewhere, you know?" He laughs. "And the beach will at least let us see if anything's coming. Not a lot of privacy, but it's about all we can hope to get right now."

To Miles he shakes his head. "Someone else washing up I could believe. Someone comin' to look for the ol' Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald probably isn't in the cards. We can try to leave a message for anyone that might be looking, but considering all this...I got a feeling it's gonna be by accident. No one's gonna be looking specifically for us. We're gonna need to figure out how to get a message out and keep a watch for ships. I know, I'm a real cheerful morning person." He takes a long drag on his cigarette. "While also keeping everyone in food 'n water, and with us sticking together in groups, too. I dunno about all of you, but after last night I'm not too keen on anyone wandering off on their own until we got the lay of the land a lot better. Only my vote, but...we don't know what else could be out there, and we don't know what those things are or what they could do to us."

Jeff pauses a moment, chuckles, and digs out his guitar. "Ha, hey. If I gotta be all cynical-like, maybe I should at least try to make up for it." He tunes up, switches tuning, and plays the first thing that comes into his head. It really was a cheery guitar part, and he'd liked it enough to play it live plenty of times. He always wondered why that one session guy in LA never recorded it himself. Dude could play.

But he decides not to sing the words. On reflection, maybe the title isn't the best message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

With the sun coming up, Courtney stands up and stretches as they prepare to get themselves mentally "ready" for what's coming. Of course, they'd PREFER seeing the sunrise from a balcony or a rooftop or even just with concrete under their shoes instead of bare earth, but, fine.It's a little queer hearing their unintentional travelling companions talking about morning baths--here, now?!--but maybe they're just creatures of habit--

"She broke down and let--me--in / Made me see where--I've--been / Been down one ti-ime, been down two ti-imes--"

Speaking of habits, that's one they've really got to stop.

"Hey, Jeff, warn me when you're going to call the tune, yeah?"

• Locked thread
«11 »