Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi Aoshima - Welcome to the Jungle

The night must've been uneventful, both because Naomi couldn't remember much happening at all, and because she was greeting the morning to remember not much in the first place. More than once she'd held out hope that it was all a ridiculous dream, that she'd find herself in her familiar bed -- but no, her luck didn't run to the next block, let alone that far.

"No birds," she said to the man with the lucifers. "Nothing but dark."

GTD Aquitaine fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure
My Kingdom for a Resort Hotel

Azure stands and brushes herself off. The dirt doesn't go away, and her dress is in dire need of a good cleaning.

~~The ocean will have to suffice,~~ Azure says. She looks towards Naomi, ~~We should be thankful. Perhaps it was all in our minds?~~ Azure fetches a towel and change of clothes from her beaten-up bag.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Jeff

He slows tempo and stares at Courtney. His fingers repeat one progression a few times to keep his place. "Warn me when you're gonna start singin' out of nowhere, Mr. Astaire. Was tryin' not to bring the words in on this one. Hell, I only ever just recorded this one, just cleaned it up." Jeff laughs. "You always do that, or did this start yesterday and all?"

Palming the strings above the bridge, Jeff stops playing and shakes his head. He looks at Naomi and Azure. "Well," he says, "still better if we plan on them being out there somewhere. Even if they're ostriches or something they could probably do some damage if they're scared and aggressive." He plays an ominous, tritone-based chord sequence, and chuckles. "Maybe we'll find more tracks today, who knows?"

"So what's our first move?"

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 21, 2016

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Courtney D'Arvent - Campsite, FP 10/11

"Swear to the goddess above, this only started happening yesterday," Courtney laughs in response. "I mean, I like a good standard as much as the next fella, but I didn't start belting out the words to everything I heard."

They turn to Naomi and Azure and shake their head. "And if it's all the same to you birdies, I think I'll pass on the 'disrobe and take a bath in freezing and dirty-as-hell water with angry birds floating around', thanks."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

The knight helps himself to a quick breakfast from whatever meager items of food he has left and what little remains from their water collection yesterday. As Jeff the musician plays his instrument, he stops and silently admires the man's talent until the song stops. "A fine tune, sir. I find that I welcome music even more during trying times, so please do not hesitate to play when you feel the need." He cocks an eyebrow up at Courtney as the man then describes his singing problem. "A strange affliction indeed, sir." He chuckles with a smile. "We shall add it to the list of strange happenings."

As the others begin to rise in earnest, he sets about packing his small list of possessions and starts strapping on his armour. To Jeff's question, he speaks up; "If no one has a better plan, I say we head back to the beach now. Rescue may be but a fool's hope, but the chances of a wash and catching some fish are still high. After that we should search for another water source and perhaps better shelter.

"And if we run into any of these large birds-" He taps his sword hilt. "-That will at least solve our shortage of food."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Campsite

Irina had finally gotten to sleep and sat bolt upright her hair falling in front of her unceremoniously she blew it out of her face in a bit of frustration, she had finally gotten to sleep and managed more than a few hours. The sound around her however had pulled her out of a very good dream that had a warm bunk and a warm shower. She stood up and grabbed a bar of soap from her personal essentials and a towel. Looking at the others she pursed her lips for a moment at the joviality of them all in the morning. Most of all her dour look was the ignorance of the threat against them.

"Yes, we should wash, we never know when we can again. The sea will clean, and that is all important." She said a bit disapprovingly toward Courtney. "If you regret it later, you can stand far away from me while you do it." She said pointedly.

"As for the birds, we need to have protection and stay together. Though with thought to modesty. We have to be within yelling range." She slung her AK-67 over her shoulder and held a replacement for her underclothes, her flight suit and uniform would be able to stand more days of not washing.

"You both seem to sing such strange songs, if I were one to sing well, I would show you proper revolyutsiya depressii" She said unable to admit at least out loud that the tune was very well done.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi Aoshima - Welcome to the Jungle

"Birds shouldn't be much of a problem," Naomi said. With her almost-too-big-to-be-real weapon and the one Courtney had been describing during the night, just the two of them should make a good deterrent to anything with an animal brain -- and who knew what other talents the rest of them were hiding, the same way she was? "Go ahead and wash. I'm happy to help guard."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

"I mean, it's maybe only the seventh- or eighth-weirdest thing in the last twenty-four hours, so..." He shrugs at Courtney and stubs out the last embers from his smoke. To Miles, he just smiles. "You know, I've been sayin' for years that rock n' roll can break a lot of cultural barriers, but hearin' that from you puts a whole different spin on it. Thanks. 'course, I guess some barriers still gotta stand." He looks over at Irina and gives her a narrow-eyed glare in response to her 'strange' comment, but with a thin, sarcastic smile which soon cracks into laughter.

"Still," he eventually manages, putting the six-string back in its case, "no sense taking it all the way to the beach and back just to get it all messed from the spray. Play more some other time."

Rummaging around, he puts his jacket back on, slips the .44 back in its home, and grabs a little travel shaving bag from his backpack. It's about all the soap Jeff has got, having only planned for a few days in a very different sort of woods, but it will have to do for now. He stands up and stretches. "You know, now that you mention it," turning quite quickly towards Naomi, "that's probably a good idea, wash up in a couple shifts, have a couple people keeping an eye out for anything comin' from the jungle, then trade. Same deal when it gets to fishin', too. At least lets us feel organized."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

"I still say you people are the queer ones, wanting to take a bath in...these conditions," Courtney raises their hand and motions around them to emphasize the point with a little gentle mockery. "I can stay on stakeout duty for the whole time. If you fish up the Waldorf-Astoria's spa room you can call me over, but besides that I'd rather not be caught with my pants down if those birdies come back for another inning."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Campsite

Irina shrugs, "You was when you can out in the field." If that explained it all to Courtney.

To Naomi, she gives a bit of a smile, "Well then you can protect us. While we wash, yes?" She nods to Azure and gives a tug on her shirt. "It will be so good to get out of the hot jungle at the very least." She said using her tank as a fan as the sun was starting to make her sweat. "We don't know this place, so don't go into the sea far yes?"

"Lets go to beach then?" She said all set for the trip.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

~~Cleansing aids the mind as well as the body, Mister D'Arvent,~~ Azure casts, as she gathers her bathing items. Sadly, her suitcase is too unwieldy to haul down to the beach regularly...but who would steal it here? She does fetch her purse, however.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

"Good for the mind, yeah, but the body's important too, "Jeff interjects. "I don't wanna catch any nasty jungle flu or whatever because I couldn't be bothered to soak in the ocean for a few minutes a day. Still, everyone gotta do what they feel comfortable with, or not." He shrugs. "Can't say it ain't weird to think about, but, you know, the weird train left the station a long time ago. Just gotta laugh at it all. poo poo, when you get down to it, this kinda weird's a purer, more interesting weird than pretty much any drugs I ever had."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Campsite

"I do not like the deep water, but better than some jungle rot." She said with a cringe on her face supporting the other two words.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Chapter 1 - A hundred billion castaways looking for a home

The group makes their way up the trail and back to the shore line. When they get to the game trail they see the large (possibly) bird tracks along the trail. The tracks appear to go to the area of the camp and then they go further into the jungle of the island. The tracks don't appear to go towards the shore. The only footprints that can be seen from the camp to the shore are the ones the group made.

Moving through the jungle. The tropical nature of the island becomes apparent. It seems as if the various trees and other plants are working to hold in the heat and moisture. Standing still provides no relief from the heat, but at least the plants provide some protection from the worst of the tropical sun. It isn't long before some relief is in sight. The group comes to the beach where they washed up on the day before.

Looking out towards the ocean, the waves have white caps on them. The crash of the waves on the beach drowns out the sounds of the jungle. Still while the ocean looks like it would be difficult to boat in, near the shore the ocean doesn't appear to present any dangers.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Campsite

"We should look for shallows where we can see the bottom of the water..." Irina said with extreme certainty. She looked at the others and starts searching along the beach for a safe place to wade.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"All I'm saying is I've taken enough trips to Coney to know that salt water won't help you feel clean any more than cotton candy will help you feel full," Courtney argues defensively as the group makes their way down to the beach. "Still no one and nothing else, huh. drat it..."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Hector - on our way to the beach
"Even with that being the case" says Hector "It's important to try and stay as clean as possible. The very first thing that Grandmother Toadstool told me, that was. 'If the plague you keep in scorn, take a bath 'bout every morn.'"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

""I do not know 'Rock and Roll'," he says to Jeff as the group make their way though the jungle back to the beach. "But I like the song you played. Perhaps if fate is determined to keep us all together for some time, you might teach me of it." The tracks left by what appears to be these giant birds earn a wary glance before he shifts his gaze permanently to the jungle for the duration of their walk. A surprise visit from these beasts first thing in the morning is the last thing they need, especially with the hot sun already beating down on them and seeking to drain their energy.
"You would prefer to walk today with the dirt and sweat of yesterday still on you?" he says to Courtney. "You should wash now whilst we have the chance. The Lord knows that any water we find inland will be needed more for drinking than bathing."

The sight of the beach is a welcome one, even if no sign of any passing ship or rescue of any kind is there to greet them. "No other souls perhaps, but that is also a blessing. No beasts that intend to do us harm."

As they find a shallow part of the beach in which to bath, the knight strips off his armour and his pack. In no time at all he soon stands with only his trousers and sword belt still on, his bare chest cooling nicely in the sun from the sea breeze. He scrunches his toes in the sand underneath, flexing his feet now they are free of his boots.

"Ladies first? We can have our backs to you, both to allow privacy and to watch the jungle."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Beach

Irina looks surprised for a bit and then says, "Thank you, Cit-, I mean, Miles." She glances around the beach intent on finding a good place for washing together. It looked the birds had forced them to trust each other, as much as baring some skin implied trust at least. "I have lived in barracks before, but I appreciate the privacy."

Per 13 to find the best safest spot to wade

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

Azure follows the group down to the beach, as they chat. She stays attentive, looking at the footprints on the ground. They go away from the beach. Good.

Azure leaves her towel on the beach, above the wave line, and as the men turn about, she slips out of her clothes and heads into the waves, rushing, then diving in fully, swimming in some lazy circles to get her muscles moving.

~~Captain,~~ comes a cast into Irina's head. ~~Could you not determine our location with the sun and stars?~~

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Beach

Seeing Azure get in the water, Irina follows rather unashamed nor shy as she goes into the water the place that she was most safe. She keeps her eye for the deep water, but appears to be doing a serviceable dip and scrub, much less elegant than Azure. Pragmatically, trying to get all the sweat off her, though the salt would replace it, it was better than nothing.

"This I do." She looked at the sky in the morning trying to use the dying light's stars and moon to determine their location.

Using Navigation: Air to use the stars/sky to see where they are, absolute direction applies so +3 for 15

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

"Decent rhyming," Jeff chimes in out of nowhere as Hector lays on the wisdom. He nods in agreement, then shrugs at Miles. "Wouldn't expect you would. After your time."

He starts to walk carefully onto the sand, slipping out of his boots and socks beforehand. "Good to know our birds seem to leave the beach well alone," he observes. "That's handy." He spares a look out at the waves, out where he'd been dropped barely even twenty-four hours ago, and exhales with a rueful shake of his head. Well, no matter - they are all here now, wherever here is and whoever they are, and he's just gonna ride the crazy train for as much as it's worth. Only thing for it. With that one look out at the horizon, he turns around to let the women have their privacy and wait his turn.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"I dunno why you're all so insistent on me disrobing," Courtney mumbles more to themself than anyone in particular. "If I didn't know better, I'd say you were trying to court me." They speak a little louderm "Alright, I can splash a few drops here and there, but I'm not prancing about in my underwear for you all to admire."

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi Aoshima - Another Beach at the End of the World

"If you want to get bare, then get bare," Naomi said from the beach. Sure, trudging unwashed across an otherworldly jungle wasn't her idea of fun, but it beat the Tamakikyo alleys, and she didn't relish the idea of scrubbing sea salt out of all the places it could gather. "Someone's got to stay alert in case something needs to be turned away."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Beach

"I think the water fine, you should join us Naomi!" Irina says teasingly at the woman who seemed rather standoffish. She didn't take too much mind to it, but the instinct kicked in and she really did know what jungle rot was. Thought that was a world, and seemingly a life time away, she had been lucky as she waded and knelt down scrubbing a bit more thoroughly with her soap.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

"Thank you, but someone needs to guard," Naomi said. "If there are animals on this island, there must be a source of fresh water. I'd much prefer to use that. Sea water is... undomesticated."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

"If you wish to wash, miss, feel free." He says to Naomi. "We gentlemen can keep watch for us all whilst we wait." As he continues to keep watch for any signs of life in the jungle ahead, his mind starts to wonder on what is to come after this. "It might be best to discuss our next course of action for when we are finished on this beach. Searching for water is a priority still, but a better place to camp and searching this land would also be worthy plans..." As he thinks, he casts his eyes briefly upward. Perhaps they might look to higher ground.

Per - 13. Are there any hills or mountains around which might give a good view of the local area?

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

"Well, after everyone washes up or doesn't, and we do some fishin', I'd say whatever we do, we try to leave something recognizable on the beach before we head out. Above the waterline. Something a passing ship or a plane might have at least a drat hope of seeing." Shrugging, he adds, "That's about the only other idea I got right now."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Only thing that I could use as a signal is a lot of fire," Courtney observes as they pat themselves down. "I saw a bunch of floating silver donut things in the surf yesterday, though. Maybe we can gather up a bunch and hang them in the treetops?"

Also I'd like to request we elide this sequence a bit, get back to figuring out what to do to pull ourselves out of the jungle.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Beach

Irina finds that the shallows of the beach are uniform and quite safe. If she were to go out another five to ten meters there would be a problem. Looking up at the sky, she can determine that this island is located in the south Pacific. Most likely south of Yapan, and further east as well. Unfortunately this means that they could have ended up on an island far away from shipping lanes.

Miles looks around and finds that the island gains elevation as it moves towards inwards. Its hard to see from his position on the beach, but he believes that if the group were to travel with their back to the ocean, they would be able to find the highest part of the island.

As the group washes up, they do realize that they will have to be proactive in finding a way off the island. Building a ship to effect their own rescue wouldn't be the best use of their time, so the other option they have is to create something that draw attention to the island.

Further down the beach, some piece of wood appears to be drifting along the shore. Its about a meter in size and it seems that it has been pushed laterally down the shore from some point north of where the group is currently.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

At least somewhat clean, Azure emerges and dries herself, dressing promptly. She has to clean her feet several times, the sand continuing to stick, before she slips her feet back into her shoes.

Plenty of jetsam floats along the shore, but for some reason the particular piece of wood seems to catch Azure's eye. Her arm darts out.

~~What is that?~~ she casts to the group.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

"Oh, you mean those CDs?" Jeff thinks a minute. "I mean, they're useless for what they're made for here, ain't got a CD player, but that's a good idea to get some use outta the things. Bet there's enough still down here to get a wide spread of shiny, catch some light from a lot of directions. Hopefully enough. Good thinking. I..."

He swings around, follows Azure's pointing with his eyes. "What is..." He starts walking towards whatever it is to get a bit of a closer look. "Well, let's find out."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Beach

Dressing as she finished and looking at the newly clothed Azure, "To answer your question we are about, south east of Yapan, outside of shipping lanes for sure. At least shipping lanes that would normally be" She said looking at the others as they look on the wood. "Oh? What have you found" She says following.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"What's what--oh!" Even from where they're standing, Courtney can see that that block of wood didn't get how it was and where it was by the jungle's work. Without much prompting or fanfare beyond kicking off their shoes they jump into the water and wade far enough to grab it. They give the wood a cursory examination as they wade back to shore.

"Huh. Hello..." It's light and its definitely carved--Courtney can make out something that looks like tool marks. Maybe it's like some kind of fetish; kinda like something rumrunners from points south would put in or set up to watch over their tubs for that extra kick. Which makes them wonder...

As they flip over the wood in their hands, they find themselves humming tunelessly and closing their eyes, looking for some big break--!

That's Courtney using Detective-Forensics 13 and Detect Magic 14 on the object.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

The wash is most welcome, although he does not spend long in the water. Jeff's thought on leaving a sign for passing ships is a good one, yet he wonders how they might achieve it. A fire or perhaps hauling rocks and wood to make a symbol? His own idea of reaching higher ground seems somewhat hopeful, but he does not have long to ponder on it before the others find something and call out.

"Floating wreckage?" he suggests, dressing once more and strapping on his armour. He stands by the shore, watching Courtney wade out to lay hands on the object. "Is it anything of use, sir?"

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi watched from the shore in silence as some of the others waded out for whatever wave-battered prize the ocean had delivered. Not that she expected it to make much of a difference either way, unless someone had figured out how to stuff an airship into an absurdly small space.

"Refuse," she said. "Probably refuse."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Beach

The object appears to be flat with some holes for attaching it to something else. It doesn't appear to have any signs of damage.

Courtney looks at it and sees that it hasn't been in the water for long. The surface of the wood hasn't been smoothed by the action of water, wind and sand. They also find that the object doesn't show any signs of breakage. And the wooden item doesn't appear to be magical.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 27, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Hector - Beach
"Uh. Now here's something you don't see every day." Hector lowers himelf to take a closer look. "Mustn't have been in the water very long. Looks like some kind of...statue? An idol, maybe? Could mean that this island i inhabited. Now there's a scary thought."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He takes a closer look at the piece of wood as it's brought closer. The carvings appear both familiar and foreign to him. "It is some sort of decorative symbol then, like I have seen druids and tribal folk make but different in a way I have never seen..." Many questions surround the strange object. "Can anyone make sense of it? If it was originally from this island and has not been in the water long, as you say, Sir Hector, then perhaps whoever tossed it in is nearby. We could try to search for them... Or perhaps it fell in from another world, just as we did."

Thinking of the likelihood that other people are lurking nearby, more tribal in nature, makes him clench a hand around his sword hilt instinctively. "My lady, Azure," he says turning to the woman as he remembers something. "Did you not give the impression that you can sense others nearby? Could you detect others on this island aside from us?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Beach

"Either this or there is a ship of some sort. Though why would it be so new, I have only seen in museum." Irina adds to the conversation as she looks at the strange piece. She didn't know what it was from or where, but it sure seemed like an artifact one that should be much much older than the one presented before her.

• Locked thread