Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Courtney D'Arvent - Campsite, FP 10-1?/11

"No erosion, the water's barely penetrated the outer layer--and here's some paint." Courtney mutters to themself as they trace the outline of the carving with a finger. "Refuse my *ahem*, looks like this thing's a piece of art." They stand up and move the wood over to the light so others can get a good look. "Which means someone made this. Which means it didn't drop in the river because some monkey threw a coconut at a tree and it fell out like a piece of fruit. Someone else is here, and if we're lucky, they still are. All we gotta do to sniff 'em out is head upstream and...er..." They watch the flow of the water and realize that usually they'd have dogs and a lot more officers on their side for this kind of thing. "Uh...right, whenever we're ready, I think we have something to do besides fish out Jeff's silver donuts."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Jeff

"Well then, Doctor Jones," begins Jeff, the sarcastic nickname still not overshadowing the surprise on his face at what had been found. "You definitely have that last part right, we got one more thing to be looking for, now. Or looking out for. Was hopin' there'd be at least some sign of us all not being the only ones on this rock, anyway."

He pauses, stares at the object again, then adds: "One thing botherin' me about it, though. I mean, so this looks very traditional, right. Tradition of what I got no idea, but either way...most people don't go 'round chucking their artwork into the ocean, though, so the question I can't get around is: if someone made this pretty recently the way you seem to be sayin' - and I have no reason to doubt you on that - but what the hell was it doing in the water?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Hector - Beach

"That's a pretty good question there, master Jeff." mumbles Hector, producing his fishing line and wrapping it around his arm. "Maybe it's a tradition of theirs, or maybe this one got lost. We have no way of knowing that now. For the time being, I'm going to see if I can get us some food without running amok of giant beasts."

Fishing 15

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

~~ Perhaps if we hold on to it long enough, somebody will come searching for it,~~ Azure suggests, as the others pore over the large piece of wood.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi Aoshima - Another Beach at the End of the World

Naomi kept her distance as the others brought the find ashore. One part of her could appreciate the artistry that must have gone into it, could imagine it sitting in a museum if this was some other world... but another part of her remembered what happened the last time she had allowed herself to get too close to "art."

"Whatever it is, we should be careful around it," Naomi said. "Very careful. God knows what it really is."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Courtney D'Arvent - Campsite, FP 9/11

"Hmm, I dunno," Courtney offers as they tilt their head. "I usually get a pretty good feeling when something isn't what it seems. Y'know, when the hoodlum in the corner with a newspaper is hiding a gat, or the punch is spiked with something a lot more fanciful than firewater. And I'm not getting that feeling here." They rap a hand on one of the unpainted edges. "Knock on wood. Hah!"

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi Aoshima - Another Beach at the End of the World

It wasn't about recklessness, Naomi knew. Of course people could be reckless when they didn't think there was anything to be reckless about. She hadn't thought anything of getting on a plane and flying to Chukyo, had she?

"I can't talk about your feelings," Naomi said, taking a few steps back. "But I still have a bad feeling about that. If it's hiding anything, it's not going to be as simple as a heater."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

Taking a look around, Azure spot a small rock half-buried in the sand. It's at best the size of a grape. With a casual underhanded lob, she tosses it towards the hunk of driftwood, unconcerned about the potential impact. The others, though....

...it's not as if it's going to explode.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Beach

Hector goes fishing. He casts his line out into the surf.

As fear grows over the strange wooden object, Azure throws a stone at it. The stone bounces off the wood. Nothing happens.

A few minutes later, Hector gets a catch on his line. He pulls it up and finds this fish on the end of his line:

The fish is about nine inches long and quite lively. Hector manages to bring to shore without loosing it.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

It doesn't explode, but the rock does almost hit Courtney hit in the face when it rebounds. "Gack!" they splutter before turning to Azure. "Warn a PI before you throw stuff around, goddess above!" To themself they think Unless you did call it out and I couldn't hear it because I can't do your mindtalking thing.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

"Well, either way, we gotta follow it. Let's worry about brunch first though." Heartened by Hector's success, he fishes out his own line and hook. The dumb army surplus kit might save his rear end yet. "You all got something, then let's see what we can catch quick before we roll out, get the CDs up on the treeline where someone might see 'em, and see if we can trace where our mysterious artwork came from."

A less-inspiring Fishing 12. Let's try to get a fish for everyone we can!

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

The knight watches with a bemused smirk at Courtney's reaction from Azure throwing a stone at the wooden object. "Calm, sir. Merely a jest, I am sure." He gives Azure a sideways look, smirking from the side of his mouth. "Let us see to these 'See Dees' you mentioned, whilst our kind fishermen catch our lunch." He sets about looking for the silver disks on the beach and in spots within the shallow waters that won't disturb Jeff's fishing attempts. He has no idea what the round silver objects are for, of course, but he does know they will catch the light enough to shine brightly at anything passing by.

Per - 13. Grabbing any C.Ds on the beach or in the shallows far enough from Jeff not to damage his fishing roll. If enough are found, Miles will attach them to the treeline.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Beach

"We could start signal fire yes? We should." Irina said, "We just need dry wood and green wood, build big bondfire that will last long time." That seemed to be the way to allow someone to see them off in the distance at least. "I am not touching that, it seems weird, but I it doesn't seem to do anything either?" She looked questioningly at Noami, but shrugged in the end, after all she seemed to know more than anyone else what was going on.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Beach

Jeff casts his line. The line begins to drift back to him. He casts again. The line comes back again. This time he pulls up a fish that has been partially eaten.

The collecting and hanging of cds goes smoothly. Plenty have washed up on the shore. In total, it appears that there are about a dozen CDs.

Looking around Irina finds that due to the climate's heat, branches near the jungle edge are mostly dry. A quick effort could produce a sizable fire.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

~Strange though our situation may be, Mr. D'Arvent,~ Azure replies, a pleased smirk on her mouth.

She linger in the sand, and her smirk widens to an actual smile on seeing Hector's catch. Her hand claps together. ~Excellent!~ she declares through a cast to the group. ~If only we had some butter and spices. Are any of you skilled in finding edible herbs?~

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi - Another Beach at the End of the World

"Things aren't always what they seem," Naomi said. It would be better if it was all in her imagination -- that weird piece of wood couldn't hurt her, or anyone, if it was just that, a weird piece of wood. "Count on it."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Beach

"I know of the herbs you talk, but not how to find them." She looked around and started gathering wood, "I am to make a signal fire, and then we can be sure that someone will see us." As for Noami, Irina mulled over the thought in her head in a while before becoming a definite conclusion, "You are Worlds expert, you would know strange things like this, yes?" She says in support of her, hopeful some of the ice of Noami would melt off.

Survival 12 to build a signal fire! It seems like a transferable skill, but if not it is woodlands

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He steps back and admires his handiwork now that whatever shiny disks he could find are attached to the treeline, sending off bright spots of light as they sun catches them in the wind. He admires the fresh fish Hector catches, feeling his stomach rumble just looking at it. Jeff's haul isn't as impressive, but still it can feed a few mouths. "Fine catches, sirs. My stomach thanks you both in advance."

As Irina talks of making a signal fire, he moves to help her with collecting firewood. "Perhaps we could set some of this washed up wreckage ablaze. T'would make for a fine fire. Perhaps we will even attract whatever souls linger on this island, aside from us." During the gathering of wood, he strikes upon a thought. "Unless anyone objects, we might think of staying here tonight. We have seen these big birds stray away from the beach and the large fire alone will keep them at bay. True, if anyone sees our signal fire, we should be here to greet them. We will need to find more water at some point..."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Heh, yeah, don't ask me to touch the fire, we'll probably burn the whole place down!" Courtney chuckles as they stand up, still holding the wooden art piece. "I can go help look for some water--we can go upstream and find the source of this thing, and maybe do a good deed by figuring out who owns this here orchid on the way there."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

For his part, Jeff eyes his own catch skeptically. "I dunno. Under other circumstances I don't think I'd even touch this one," he says. He looks over at Hector. "You make this look way easier than it is, man. Not a complaint, mind you. Someone's gotta be good at this."

To the others, he nods. "Fire's a good idea. Far as the beach goes...could be we could use some of the wreckage to throw together at least some shelter, maybe. And if those things do stay away from the beach it's safer." Then, "Should try not to split up too much. If we're gonna do this, let's finish up here, grab the rest of our stuff and bring it back, get shelter set up here - that assumes we wanna do that. Anyway, then see about finding where that little thing popped downstream at and follow it up - all of us. Hopefully it's close and we can rely on it for water, too."

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 3, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector

Hector smiles at the compliment. "Thank you kindly, master Jeff. I could teach you how to catch the big ones later, if you'd like." As he says that, he produces a sharp knife and plants it straight in the fish's brain, ceasing its trashing; then he removes the gill rakers with a practiced motion. "Now we'll just have to wait for this fellow to bleed out and it'll be ready for cooking."

Noticing Irina starting to prepare the fire, he jumps up and moves to join her. It's an elating feeling, having so many opportunities to help out. Makes him feel important. At the mention of a fire he starts mumbling with himself.

"A signal fire... we'll need clean wood, not too big pieces. Wish I had my axe with me..." He clears his throat. "First things first, I think we should get everything that we need to eat and drink for today and maybe tomorrow. Once our basic needs are secured, we can try and build a signal fire. We don't know how long it'll take for someone to see the smoke, we ought to take care of our own survival first."

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi couldn't help but chuckle at the Russian -- she couldn't be anything else, she sounded too much like the residents of Little Petrograd. It was true, she hadn't talked much, and the others had had plenty of time to draw their own conclusions about her, but it wasn't as if she was lacking in secrets to hold onto.

"I'm no expert," she said. "All that I know is that there's something to know. Not the sort of knowledge I'd be comfortable hanging hopes on."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

Azure helps carry and tote, even though she doesn't have the physical heft that the Knight or the Captain do.

~~Would it not be more visible at night?~~ Azure casts to the others, not clear on the details. She drops down to sit on the beach, knees up and together, feeling distinctly at loose ends. It seem all the others have some skill or knowledge of the wilderness. Azure doubts there's many papers to file here.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Beach

"That is what green wood will do, make it smoke and billow, but first maybe food and water must be done first, yes?." She said looking at the others before wiping her brow and looking at Noami, "If you know at all, it is more than the rest of us." She says with a smile.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Beach

Just as the group begins to discuss the merits of lighting a fire, they notice a thin line of smoke to the north of their position. As they all take notice, it seems the smoke lies north west of their position. None of them can tell how far away the origin of the smoke is.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Y'know, I was going to ask if any of you worked arson cases before..." Courtney offers with a laugh, before pointing...northish. "But it looks like someone else beat us to the punch on that front! I say we go stick our nose where it may or may not belong; who's with me?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

Just as he drops more firewood to the pile, the knight looks up to the north and squints at the plum of smoke. "Whatever it is, it seems plenty worthy of us investigating." He gathers his things, one hand kept ready on his sword. This smoke may not be a good sign, but it's one of the only points of interest worth looking into since they arrived. To him, it's worth the risk. "I'm with you, Sir," he says to Courtney. "Let us move."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

Azure's peers in the direction Courtney points. Another few moments and then she sees it, with a faint, actually audible gasp coming from her. People! Other people! Could there be other survivors? Other people they know? Could....

~Should we all go?~~ Azure casts to the others. ~~Sir Miles, perhaps having a woman of business would aid our first meeting.~~

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He nods to Azure with a smile, almost shocked to hear her utter a sound from her mouth. "I would consider your company to be most welcome indeed, miss." Looking to the others, he adds further; "We should all go. It would be best that we all stay together."

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Fire, in Naomi's experience, wasn't something that just happened. Whether it was someone being careless with a lucifer or a lightning bolt setting the brush alight, fire was always a made thing - and she hadn't heard any lightning storms roll by recently.

"No sense guarding an empty beach," she said. "No sense splitting apart."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

He nods along with the others. "Soon as we get ourselves ready to go, it's as good a hint as any," Jeff says. "Besides, I don't think this is exactly wildfire country." After a short pause, he says, "Not to put too fine a point on it, but if we're going, then we should all go. We still don't know enough about this place yet otherwise."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Beach

The smoke appears to be too small to be a wild fire, which would mean someone lit it up.

Been sick for the last few days, quick post. Everyone hiking north then?

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He checks once more he has all his gear before he leads the way north with a gruff; "Follow me."

Yep. All heading to the smoke.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector
The young man fidgets with his knife, and checks again that he has enough sling bullets. "Alright, but let's just be prudent about this, if you please. There is no guarantee that whoever made that fire is friendly."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

"Well," Jeff says, "it's that, or sit around Otis Redding-style down here, scrape by, and hope someone friendly finds us instead. Or someone very not friendly, for that matter." Shading his eyes, he looks inland towards the plume of smoke again, his curiosity very obviously piqued. "I'd rather try to do more than that. So long as we don't do anything real dumb, I think one way or another it'll be worth our time. We'll know who else is on this rock, and whether we need to steer clear or if they can help us."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

An audible snort form the telepath, as she brushes off her hands and prepares for the hike.

~Such cynics. One should guard one's optimism, not smother it in its crib.~

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"If whoever lit it isn't friendly, we can handle that when we get there," Courtney offers as they brush the last bits of sand off of their vest. "Maybe tie 'em to a tree or something until they get the hint."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

He half-turns over at Azure, smiles. "Guilty," Jeff says, though he doesn't look like it's something to be guilty about. "But, you gotta have at least a touch of it if you wanna make music that speaks to real people, so I'll consider it a compliment."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Beach

Irina drops the bundle of sticks that she was carrying next to the fire pile and looked at the fire in the distance. "We should be ready for anything yes?" She cocked her AK-67 and looked at the others, "I can help if you need someone to talk, yes, but Azure can speak into their mind directly and we can make sure we are not misunderstood." She said smiling as she prepared he gear for travel. "Ready everyone?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

"Ready as ever," Naomi said. "For whatever there is to be ready for. So unpredictable."

• Locked thread