Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
On the move

The sun beats down on the sand. Even though its early in the day, the temperature is hotter than most would like it. To the left stood the jungle. The jungle swarmed with the sounds of birds and other various animals moving around in it. As they moved up the shore line, there was no sign of other people either in the jungle or out in the ocean. Occasionally there were bits of debris washing up on the shore, reminders of the past they had, but nothing useful. The sand underneath their feet provide little support for the hike, making the going longer than it should be. Moving along the one sign of hope they had was that they kept seeing the column of smoke. It seemed that they were drawing closer to the source of the fire.

Two hours into the hike, the group approaches a swampy area with mangrove trees. The beach ends and drops off into waist deep water. Looking across the water, it appears that less than a half a mile away the swamp goes back to being beach. Looking forward, the smoke appears to be coming form a fire that is north west of where they were standing currently. The group forges ahead through the swamp and as they waded through the swamp the water helped cool them off. After climbing out of the swamp, the group resumes its trek along the beach. Then after another hour of walking along the beach, they spot where the origin of the smoke.

Down the shore line at the edge of the jungle, there is a stockade built with palm tree logs. The wall looks sturdy with the logs lashed tightly to one another. The height of the wall appears to be only about five to six feet tall, but it looks like it would do a good job of keeping out intruders. And as if to prove the security of the stockage, along several tall shafts of logs are the skulls of some kind of lizard or bird. From where they stand, they can see at least three skulls along the walls. The wall looks roughly about thirty feet across and might the whole wall might be a circle. What looks like an entrance faces the ocean.

On the beach opposite the fort is a large log driven into the sand with a rope attached to it. Attached to the rope is a rather large wooden vessel with a sail. Its appearance makes it look like a viking ship, a longship. While the design might make the ship look viking in origin, there are differences in what one expects. Along the side there are no shields nor were there oars. Instead there is a pontoon attached to the side. From this distance its hard to tell what the ship is constructed out of, but those in the group who know of European woods and ships can tell that the ship is made of local materials.

Looking around no people can be seen and the group is too far off to hear any signs of activity.

Moving on! 5cp for everyone.

Also due to the exertion of hiking in the tropical heat, characters have lost a total of 7 fp. That is due to hiking for three hours and and regaining a couple fp when wading through the swamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure
5CP, 3/10FP

A hike. A march. A slog.

It goes on for ages. Azure starts with as much pluck and vigor and enthusiasm as she could muster - not much at all, and she's not particularly trying to hide it, with her grim face. She stays silent, even in their minds, as she hikes along, staying towards the middle of the group. An hour in, halfway through, she's rubbing at her matted hair, wiping sweat off her brow. This is not exercise. It's torture.

As they come up out of the swamp, Azure's basically given up. Her steps come one after the other, perfunctory, slow, and she often has to get nudged at or encouraged by one of her companions. Finally, at long last, they come to...

~~Civilization~~ comes Azure's voice in their minds. Somehow it sounds as weary as she looks. ~~Or what passes for it. Shall we make introductions, Sir Miles?~~ If they're vikings - and after all this that doesn't sound as insane an idea as it would have yesterday - a man more of their era would do better than a modern woman. It helps, in Azure's estimation, that Miles is strong and solid and better him first than her.

I believe Azure is now "Very Tired", and goes at half move, half dodge and half strength.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Courtney D'Arvent - Fort?, FP 9-7=2/11, CP 5

"There's a *cough* long long trail a winding *hack*/into the land of my dreams/Where the bar is lined with whiskey *choke*/and the brass tap gleams...graaack..."

Courtney's prohibition perversion of a Great War marching song is interrupted by the sight of the...the...

"Oh dear Goddess Above, what is this fresh hell..." The last time they saw a non-human skull mounted on a post was as a prop in a cheesy talky movie about "savages" on a river boat. The newsreels and animation were sooo much better than that garbage. And a palisade out of a frontier show...and a funny wooden ship?

"I guess there's no hope of this being a movie stage, huh..."

Welp, Courtney's no good in a fight now, if what Platonicsolid said is right. That's what you get when you drag a city slicker into the wilds, I guess.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles
FP = 6

He leads the way, only having to look to the sky for the plume of smoke when he might think he's lost his way. Tough and hardened as his years may have made him, his posture becomes more haggard as they march with his breathing becoming increasingly laboured as the hot sun beats down on him. His clothes are soaked within his armour, lending more weight to his steps, and he finds himself increasingly longing for another swim in the cool ocean waters. As much as the swamp may cool him off slightly, it's still no pleasant trek as all manner of bugs are swatted from his face.

He's almost relieved as they come across the stockade with skulls mounted along it. At last they have found some semblance of civilization, even if they may prove to be dangerous. The skulls he does not recognize, but it seems they belong to the same type of large bird that stalked them only the night before. "At least we have a common enemy in these bird creatures..."

The boat on the other hand does look somewhat familiar to his eyes. Different though it may be in ways, it still bares some familiarity with the world he comes from. Finally as well he finds something more in keeping with his own time. "And they have built themselves a boat too. Most interesting..."

To Azure, he nods. "We came this far, we may as well see if anyone is home. Keep your weapons down, tired as we are we should not try to start a fight." Looking around the tired bodies of the group, he decides it would be best if he went forward first.

The knight steps closer to the fortification, his eyes darting about and his ears kept keen for any sight or sound of people.

Per - 13

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irena- Unknown Settlement
FP = 3

Panting with her gun coated more in her own seat than anything else, Irina gulps for air, before leaning against a tree. "This is- Rus" She gasps for a bit before recovering a bit, "This was in the museum i remember seeing boat in the Glory of the Rus muesum." Irina looked at Azure and Miles as she recovered from the hike through such unfamiliar territory. Her uniform was half open half soaked through in the back, and taking a moment to grab a swig of water she looked to the others. "We should be careful if these are of the Rus, they are a hard people. I remember them being very strange and also very violent."

Irina cringed a bit as she tried tasted the bitter charcoaled water and choked it down as much as she could. "Oh does this remind me of boot camp in the Southern Dominion." She said without much relish, "I should go with you, the lack of human skulls might be a good thing." Irina said letting Miles take the lead. "I don't remember much from the exhibit, so not sure what source of information I can be." She said as she scratched her head, searching her dim memory from being in school.

"Maybe they even speak Russian? That seems like a dim hope though..." Irina said hopefully.

Figured I would pick up Fit since she was getting some of that city off her, though she is currently still very tired

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Jeff
4 FP

He gets through a few tunes on the way, mostly whistling in a low register, trying to keep the volume down but unable to stay completely silent. After all, they aren't all trying to be that quiet anyway, the sounds of brush crackling out of the way being a regular occurrence in Jeff's hearing. It's peaceful, at least - but the heat, on the other hand, is stifling, and he finds himself constantly compelled to wipe sweat from his forehead so it doesn't run into his eyes too often. The brief stay in the swamp is about as welcome as a marsh has ever been for that reason.

And then, suddenly: civilization!

Well, not quite. Jeff drops to a knee in the sand. "Huh. How 'bout that," he says, exhaling sharply, taking a quick moment to catch his breath. Too much farther and he might have been as bad off as the others, but he's still got some life in his legs. Beyond that, he seems rather impressed, given the at least house-sized and sturdy nature of the construction. Then again he hadn't really been sure what to expect, had he?

He nods to Miles, then starts to stalk towards the treeline. "I got your back," he says, planning to use the edge of the jungle for a little concealment and give Miles and whoever else goes with him an extra set of eyes from a different vantage point.

Stealth 14, Observation 12. Jeff is just one point of FP above where he'd be getting penalties, so, lucky him.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi Aoshima - On the Move
4/11 FP

Exhaustion. Naomi had begun to suspect that it was as fundamental a force as gravity or light -- that no matter what happened, that pain would never go away. All she could do was move with the rest, letting the rest of the world drop away; was there even a world, or was there just the island?

The sight of the shore stopped those thoughts cold. There had to be other places, because if not, where had the ship come from? Who had built the walls? She listened and observed as the others chattered about what they might find in the small wooden fortress, or what they expected to boil forward. It was always better for her to listen, until she couldn't help but speak.

"Civilization is relative," Naomi said. "Whether they speak our language or not may make no difference. But if I had to guess, I'd say they put far too much faith in those walls. There are ways to deal with them, if we need to."

Observation-13, Stealth-11 to follow with Jeff and Miles and be on the lookout for anything look-out-able.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Hector - Near the Fort
The heat is strong, the road is hard, the jungle filled with insects and worrying sounds; it is a much more unpleasant trek than the ones he usd to do back home. What seemed to him like unpleasant slogs through the forested countryside, always on edge in case bandits would try to rob him, now look like peaceful walks in peace and harmony, and with a lot less of these forsaken bugs. He's not nearly as tired as some of his companions though, who seem near the point of collapse.

While he's not enthusiastic about the idea, he recognizes the need to not appear hostile and puts back his sling. He eyes warily the mounted skulls (only of animals, innocuos animals, no need to worry...) and follows Sir Miles as he advances towards the encampment.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Wooden fort

Miles approaches the fort with others in tow. He moves over the sand towards the wall of wood and as they approach, they do hear some voices from within the stockade. The voices are muffled by the wooden barrier between them, but they are heard well enough to hear multiple people within the fortification talking. None of the group can make sense of the spoken language. Even though Miles and company can't understand the group inside the wooden fence, the tone makes it seem like they are having an ordinary conversation. The group doesn't stop speaking as Miles and the others move up.

Jeff and Naomi make their way along the tree line. Observing the wooden wall, they see that no one is keeping watch on the wall. The people inside don't seem like they are worried about an attack. Moving in closer, they hear the voices. Voices of men speaking a language they can't comprehend. The voices seem to have a convivial tone and show no signs of noticing someone sneaking up on them. Jeff and Naomi sneak closer to the wooden fort with the knowledge that they haven't been detected. Closer up the skulls they saw on the wooden wall appear to be about a couple feet in size and look like they are from a dinosaur. From where they stand they notice that the wall facing the jungle is reinforced as to add extra protection to that side of the wall. There is no door on the wall facing the jungle.

At this point, Miles group is about 10 meters away from the fort, while Jeff and Naomi are within several yards of it.

I'm assuming at this point Azure is only hearing what the others hear. I'll post again if she uses telepathy or anything.

I might edit in more information, if I missed something.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi Aoshima - Wooden Fort
4/11 FP

It wasn't the first time Naomi had found nothing. Aside from scattered memories of a childhood visit to a biopark with a reproduction of what the first inhabitants of Aoteara were said to have built, she'd never seen anything liked it. It looked like something out of the far past, but was that really that hard to believe? The first time she'd been thrown between worlds, she had also been thrown between decades.

"They could be friendly," Naomi said in a whisper. "If we're going to talk to them, I think I should start it off.. They might not find me that threatening... the last thing we want to do is make enemies when we don't have to."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

She's hardly looking her best. Then again, none of them are, nor is this a business meeting where presentation counts. These...barbarians would probably not even notice if her hair were done properly.

Azure steadies herself with a few deep breaths, waiting. She narrows her eyes. It's always harder when she can't see her target. A single wall, though? It shouldn't impede her much. Azure reaches out towards the closest of the speakers, her powers gently plucking at the mind until she slips under the surface and starts hearing the surface thoughts.

<Platonic|sleep> Azure Telerecieve/Universal 16
<Platonic|sleep> .roll 3d6
<Platonibot> Platonic|sleep: 15 (3d6=6, 3, 6)

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles
FP = 6

He stops for a moment outside the camp, hearing the noise of people coming from past the barricade. Their language however is one he does not recognise. "They do not seem to be charging out to attack us and I reckon they must have at least heard us coming by now. Which is potentially a good sign..." Although the skulls on display has him thinking otherwise. He thinks for a moment then speaks to the others. "Someone else should do the talking, one less intimidating than I may appear." True, a broad, hulking man in armour such as himself may frighten these people into action just by the sight of him.

"I will keep back and only intervene should violence become our last option."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Unknown Settlement
3/10 FP

She walked behind Miles and looked at the compound ahead of her, and keeps quiet behind Miles, while Jeff and Noami appeared to be sneaking up on the camp, Irina is just too damned tired to bother. Irina wipes her brow and looks into the devil sun as it beat down on her, the conversation across the wall was interesting for sure, but she wasn't sure she could understand it at all. Her vain hope that they would speak her mother tongue was a bit of a downer to the soldier, but for the most part she kept quiet until there was reason to speak.

"I can try to speak, Miles." She said unsure as she moved forward her gun glimmering in the sun. "I hope no attack from them, that is the last thing we need."

Standing in front of the gate, Irina seems to hesitate for just a moment before trying "Zdravstvuyte, my imeli v vidu mir, my mogli by vesti peregovory na usloviyakh? Nam nuzhna pomoshch'." Irina says in loud fluent Russian. Her voice was commanding though she wasn't sure it would do anything to the strange people who hunted the giant birds.

"Hail! We are friends! Might you give the Help?!" Irina repeated in english.

Then finally came her deplorable Yaponese "Watas- h-hitachi wa heiwa watashitachi o hitsuyō to suru herupu"

Diplomacy 12! Not sure it will do anything but Irina tried!

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff
4 FP

Prowling near the treeline, Jeff's brow furrows as he considers the stockade they've found. No one seems to be keeping watch, and there's people chattering away in whatever bizarre language they speak, inside. It all leads him to believe that perhaps it's only meant to protect from the local wildlife, give a safe little nook that big birdies can't get into. The skulls seem to also confirm that presumption, displayed for all to see...but why did they look so much like something he'd see in a museum?

He looks back at Naomi and nods. "Makes sense," he whispers. While they have no idea who the natives are, Jeff can certainly agree that putting them too on edge is probably not the best way, so Naomi's idea seems good. "Just wanted eyes over here in case it goes bad. You go ahead, I-" Whatever the next thought was supposed to be gets cut off in mid-sentence, as Irina starts shouting at the walls. Which, while not exactly how he had originally envisioned things going, might end up working just as well. At least they can probably guess it isn't an attack or a trick, this way.

Turning to look back a moment, he whispers again. "Okay, so nevermind on that...could both park here, or go down there...they might not take too kindly to surprises, maybe."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Courtney D'Arvent - Fort?, FP 2/11, CP 5

"You have absolutely no idea what they're saying, do you," Courtney mutters to themself as Irina walks up and starts talking, the swampy mess and exhaustion making them snippy. With another long and drawn out sigh, they shuffle themselves over to Jeff and Naomi and flops down by a tree. "Please, please have a good feeling about this." They close their eyes and start humming again, keeping their voice on key, if not necessarily on volume.

"When the shark bites, with his teeth dear/Scarlet billows start to spread~"

Let's do Aura again, since I believe that can communicate hostile intent and we've got a good idea where they are! I can't remember what the penalties for tiredness are, but I rolled
[21:54:29] <Platonibot> Davin_Valkri: 8 (3d6=3, 4, 1)

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

It was simple, really -- when making contact with people you don't know, people who probably don't speak the same language, people from an entirely different world, the best way forward was to be calm, observant, and [b]quiet[/i]. Naomi should have known better. With so many people and no agreed-on leader, everyone wanted to do something. Then Irina shouted, and Naomi couldn't help but wince at it, like the sound had scratched her. Terrible Japanese, just terrible.

"Let's stay here for now," Naomi said to Jeff. "We can move if we need to."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff
4 FP

He nods in understanding. "Then we'll park here," Jeff agrees, staying on the covered side of the treeline and keeping his eyes and ears peeled, and idly wondering if anyone he'd toured with in the time before had ever done a stakeout of a wooden stockade on a tropical island.

He assumes the answer is probably: hell no.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Mysterious fort on the beach

Azure picks up on the minds of a group of men. Some are discussing a decorated rifle another has. A couple others are asking [Proper Animal name] and how dangerous are they. In response to the question about the dangerous animal, an older mind conjures up a picture of one in his mind. The picture is a human-sized bipedal dinosaur with large talons. Associated with the image is the concept that only come out at night. Yet another voice wonders if there's something outside the barrier that surrounds them.

Courtney picks up a blue-green aura from those in the stockade. Those inside don't appear to have hostile intentions. About a handful have an aura that expresses them feeling that everything is normal. Around a half doze auras have a mixture of apprehension and excitement.

Irina speaks up in front of the fort. Azure can hear all the thoughts suddenly being directed towards Irina's voice. Those inside wonder who it is. All are curious, but some are anxious about Irina.

In front of the stockage, Irina stands. The gate to the stockade opens up. Inside Irina can see around ten dark skinned men. They are dressed in variety of natural materials with most of them wearing what appears to be armor constructed from some kind of plant material. Inside the compound has a small shelter, a cooking pit and what look like sleeping mats spread around. The group also has baskets around the edges of the wall too. She also sees a dozen shafts with embedded shark teeth in them. Near the spears were several clubs and a couple of metal blades. At the back of the enclosure are two rifles.

After she manages to get a glimpse inside, one of the men approaches her. A six foot tall man wearing no armor, but whose body is covered in tattoos. He carries an unknown make of rifle (possibly bolt action) and has a shark tooth club hanging by a belt. He rests the butt of the gun on the sand holding it with his left hand, and looking at Irina, he raises his right hand and waves at her. He then says,

"Alii Matangi. Biga Bonasprak?"

Azure can pick up that the man said hello and asked if Irina spoke Bonasprak.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
3/10 FP

She looks confused and shrugs her shoulders as she looks back to the others for a moment. She puts her hands up and says in what she hopes the man would understand "Irina Rossiyskogo Sodruzhestva naroda. A ty govorish' po russki?" Giving her formal introduction and asking if the man could speak Russian, Irina's preferred language.

"Do you speak the King's English?" She adds as a second thought. Her hands still up in the air and off her gun around her neck on its sling. Her vain hope that this was also Russian territory as it is proper for it to be was quickly being dashed.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure
5CP, 3/10FP

Tired she may be, but this is what she does. Azure creases her brow and listens, her head tilting slightly as she focuses. A discussion of...hunting. Not so....oh! Hunting dinosaurs. Lizards? That is certainly something different.

Azure watches the big man covered in tattoos, closely, and then he speaks. ~~He greets you, and wants to know if you speak...Bonasprak.~~ she casts. ~~They appear to be here to hunt...dinosaurs.~~ Even her inner voice appears to have a tone of disbelief.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Courtney D'Arvent - Fort?, FP 2-1/11, CP 5

"Sounds about right," Courtney adds as they shift positions. Singing can be surprisingly tiring. "I'm not hearing anything like fear or disbelief in that guy's voice--apparently if they are hunting dinos, it's normal for them. They aren't shocked or grieving or revenge seeking, this is a food hunt or a trophy run. Like some kinda...I dunno, an Anglo-style fox hunt before drinks at the lodge. Except this fox bites back."

Dinos. When was the last time Courtney saw dinos? A natural history museum trip when they were, what, five years old?

"I really need a break...and a drink."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector - the Fort
Hector's eyes go from Irina to the islander as they speak. Nor understanding what is being said makes him feel tense, but at least the body language seems to suggest that this inhabitant of the fort, at least, means no harm.

"Do you think they speak the same tongue? It all soundstarted like gibberish to me." He asks Jeff, a moment before receiving the telepathic message from Azure. Between the "tone" of the message and his companions' reactions, it seems that whatever a dinosaur is it must be a terrible menace. "Well, at least it's something that you folks are familiar with. How are we going to communicate with this man? Azure, maybe you should speak in his mind as well?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Beach fort

The man says something else and then shakes his head. He then points to his mouth and covers his ears. After which he nods as if to see if Irina can understand his gestures.

Azure picks up on the man's thoughts and what he is attempting to say. He tries to tell Irina that he doesn't understand her language and then makes gestures to express the fact. The man's nodding is his attempt to see if Irina can understand his gestures.

Another man who had been sitting down, walks up to the door way. This other man looks older, possibly in his thirties or forties. There appear to be some small wrinkles on his face and his body appears to be on the down slope from an athletic youth. This man doesn't wear armor either, but has a knife attached to his belt. He looks at Irina and says,

"Speak Englush? Speak little."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He keeps to the side and just behind Irina as introductions are made, appearing as a sort of odd-looking bodyguard. The grip on his sword hilt lessens dramatically as the tribals appear to not be hostile, yet he still eyes their garb warily as well as the firearm one of them holds. "Now how did he get that?" he whispers under his breath.

His eyes widen significantly as the man speaks in a form of broken English. "Finally, a stroke of luck." He steps up then next to Irina, taking his hand from his sword entirely to show no ill will to these people.

"A storm stranded us here on the beach." He speaks slow and clear to make sure the man understands. "We need food and shelter, if you can provide. Can you help us?" He gestures to the skulls atop their wall. "We can repay your kindness by helping protect you from these beasts."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Beach fort

"Storm, yes," The man says. "Storm bring Matang. Storm bring much Matang chabung."

He laughs at his own comment and several of the other men in the encampment laugh as well.

"Food," he shows them the fire and the food roasting there. "Shelter," he opens his hands to point out the fort. "Yes," he points to Irina and Miles and gestures them to come inside.

Another of the men in the fort, a younger man wearing armor stands by the wall and yells something.

"Others? You? Come in."

As Miles and Irina let the others know that they are invited to come inside the fort, so that they can get something to eat and drink.

The older man points to the skull that Miles looked at when referring to helping them protect the camp.

"Liiw Yiim." He then points to the young men and then draws his knife at which point he makes a stabbing motion with it before putting it away. Then pointing to the sky, he says, "Night."

For Azure. The older man understands that Miles and Irina were brought to the island with the storm. He then adds that the storm brings a lot of junk (meaning the stuff washed up on the beach, but also meant as a joke about Matang (white foreigners).

He then offers food and shelter to Irina and Miles. The young man happens to spot the others from the group and the older man invites them in too.

And in regards to the skull on the wall, it is identified as a hunting death and the young men are going to hunt them tonight.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 2, 2016

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff
4 FP

He had been prepared to sit there for a while until - well, he hadn't really been sure until what.

What Jeff does know is that they could have found much less friendly types, for sure. He stands, waves, and calls out with a happy "Well, hello there." He stands up and jogs over as best he can with tired legs. "Joy to you n' me," I suppose, he adds sotto voce, before chuckling. Hopefully they can get the lay of the land from these guys, even if their English is a bit rocky - maybe get a leg up on food, too. Of course they'll have to help hunt, he supposes, but he can help with that part.

And of course, there's one other question, he thinks as he remembers the harmonica in his pocket: what kind of tunes do you play to ingratiate yourself and your castaway buddies to a bunch of weird tribesmen?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Courtney D'Arvent - Fort?, FP 2-1/11, CP 5

"Oh hey, they speak English like drunken New Jerseyans," Courtney chuckles as the invitation is extended. They'll just have to speak slowly then. And they may not know what "Liiw Yiim" is, but it's pretty obvious they're going to go cruising--sorry, hunting--once sunset hits.

"Nice place you got here. Like the pieces," they say, motioning to the rifles. "Name's Courtney, and I thank ya for the food and roof. You got any..." They take a moment to ponder how to communicate "alcohol" when the languages are so funny. Eventually they settle for motioning throwing back a shot, followed by touching their forehead as if nursing a hangover.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles
6 FP

He quirks an eyebrow as the locals laugh over whatever Matang means, but at least they have knowledge of the circumstances that led them here. "You know of the storm then. Has it brought others here? Other people? Does it come often?"

Stepping inside, he can't quiet believe their luck at finding such welcoming people. A niggling thought at the back of his mind says it may be too good to be true, but he pushes it aside for now. These people seems genuine so far and given his current condition of hunger and exhaustion he is willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. He takes a swig from their own water supply, wanting to use up his own before taking from their new hosts as he looks over the fort with a critical eye.

"Liiw Yiim" he repeats as his attention is put on the animal skulls on the wall. "Night? Yes, we encountered them last night as well. Rest assured, we will help you hunt these beasts in return for your generous aid." He taps the sword at his side and motions to those in their group with visible firearms to help make the point. "We will help."

There are many more questions he wishes to ask, but for now his exhaustion and fatigue gets the better of him and so he sits by the fire and helps himself to a nice portion of roasted meat from whatever animal seems to be cooking there.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure
5CP, 3/10FP

They're speaking English, of a sorts. That's good, it frees Azure up to listen to their minds more attentively, like picking out certain voices in the chatter of a cocktail party.

~~It seems they hunt these creatures at night,~~ Azure casts to the group, walking with trepidation into the camp. Part of her tingles and tenses, a response she tries to suppress.

~~The storms are common, they say. We may not be the only...castaways who have arrived here before.~~ Azure reports. ~~We should inquire where this group is actually *from*. I cannot imagine they live here full time.~~

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
3/10 FP

"Yes. Food. We need yes. These are all friends too." She said almost jogging inside and taking a drink of fresh water gulping it down as much as she could get away with. She was hungry, she was tired and really not in the mood for anything at all. "Who leads you all? Is this is a well known place?" She said after she stopped drinking water, leaning in the shade away from the heat. Irina knew she was being blunt and appearing stupid, but she was too tired to care anymore.

"Hunting them should be worth it, they seem like Sonitu Lacertos, from a museum."

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

4/11 FP

Naomi shrugged as Jeff stepped out from the bushes and followed him out. The strangers speaking Japanese would have been too much to hope for, obviously -- but if that had been the case, Irina's terrible accent might have convinced them they were enemies. She stood, listened, and nodded her head when need be. If dinosaur hunting was the only way she'd see anything but this lonely island again, well... how hard could it possibly be to hunt a dinosaur?

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Beach Fort

The man who speaks some English introduces himself as Alika. He points to the man who first opened up the door and says his name is Marama. Alika then points to an older man seated next to the fire and calls him, Afa. The man sitting with several younger men listening to him is named Kanoa. A man wearing armor and sitting down repairing a spear is called Sifa. Alika then points to the young men of the group and quickly rattles their names off, Enar, Jon, Mikel, Nils, and Amri. It becomes apparent due to the way Alika introduces people that there is a divide between the older men of the group (Alika, Marama, Afa, Kanoa and Sifa who are introduced separately) and the younger men (Enar, Jon, Mikel, Nils, and Amri). The younger men (who appear to still be in their teens) show difference towards the older men of the fort.

Alika then answers questions.

"Storm bring some. Not many. Others come from water." He then adds, "Like you."

"Liiw Yiim! Yes." He then mimics a dinosaur by making clawing motions with his hands and growling. "Island, home. We come." He points to the young men. "They go night, hunt them." He points to the other older men and says, "We stay." When Miles points to his firearm, Alika shakes his head.

"No!" He says emphatically. "No guns. Yalean say sarey and yaer only."

Afa looks up as he hears Courtney struggle to find the right word. He mimics the motion of drinking out of a cup and laughs. "Kava?"

"No Kava," Alika answers. "Home. Drink there."

Looking at Irina, he tells her, "Home sail," he points off to the north east and raises two fingers. "Leader? Ah, Limwehtu."

As the group begin to go towards the food and water, Afa gets up and brings over several banana leaf bundles. Inside the bundles are a mixture of sliced tubers and fish. Seeing that Miles would prefer to have some of the roasting fish, Afa offers to cut a slice of it off for him. Afa then says something to the young men and they bring over several jugs of water. The water has a touch of coconut water in them.

I think I answered the questions.

Azure picks up that Alika said that the storm comes once every couple of months. It usually brings trash, but some times people are also brought to shore. Other, as he thinks of the group, white people come from the ocean, but not from the storm.

He then talks about the dinosaurs. The young men of the group are here to hunt the dinosaurs using only their traditional weapons. No guns allowed on the hunt.

Kava is some kind of intoxicating beverage and they don't have any with them.

Also the group is from an island two days away and their leader is someone named Limwehtu.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles
6 FP

The knight nods slowly along to Alika's words, pausing every so often during his helping of the fish and water offered to him. The water tastes rather odd, but he doesn't mention it as he's certainly not fussy after their hike in the heat.

"So others have come before us," he says. "And where did they go? Did they go to this island you have come from, if I understand you correctly?"

They seem very keen on no firearms being used on the hunt. Perhaps because of their religion, he thinks. Is this Yalean their God?

"I myself can assist on the hunt with traditional weapons, but the others I am with will be more useful with their firearms. It will be easier and could reduce the risks of us or your own coming to harm." Indeed, some firearms he has seen kill with far more accuracy from a range further than any longbow could hope to reach from. "I do not wish to offend, but will you not at least consider us using them?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure
5CP, 3/10FP

Azure listens closely to both the words and the minds. It's the best way to go about things, to learn more about what words and thoughts to together, to make it all more intelligible. She takes the offered bundle with a polite bow, and gingerly undoes the leaves.

~~This appears to be a ceremonial, perhaps religious hunt,~~ Azure casts to her group. ~~They sailed from several days away, another island.~~ She finds a seat and takes it gingerly, putting the leaves in her lap and picking at the contents. She's hungrier than she's like to admit. ~~They have firearms, but they're forbidden on this trip.~~ And another thought causes Azure to visibly straighten. ~~If I take their meaning, there may be other castaways here as well.~~

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector
6 FP

Hector sips at the offered water, with a quick nod of thanks. He drinks deeply, knowing that he needs to be in top shape if he is to participate to such an hunt. As much as he enjoys walks in the woods, he's no big game hunter: he's taken out the occasional rabbit with his slings, but he doubts he could easily kill a wolf, let alone these monsters they are now expected to hunt. Hoping to be understood, he asks their host.

"I was wondering, how is this hunt going to work, exactly? We are not familiar with hunting these... Liiw Yiim."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff
4 FP

It doesn't take Jeff long to partake of the offered water. After that long a hike - and with water scarce for them otherwise right now - it's all he can ask for. "Thank you to all of you."

At Azure's explanation, he nods, though he grits his teeth at the thought of hunting stuff like that without guns. "Well, I wouldn't want to ruin their religious experience by putting a couple rounds in...whatever those things are out there," Jeff eventually says, "but I ain't done much spear-hunting." He looks to the hunters, and asks: "Still owe helping you some way, though. Only fair."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Courtney D'Arvent - Fort?, FP 1/11, CP 5

"Well, you talk funny, but you're good people," Courtney observes between sips, more for their own benefit than anyone else's. "So, how come you fellas don't want to use a piece on the hunt for this...Liiw Yim?" It pretty much confirms to them that this hunt is some kind of ritual or sport instead of a life-or-death thing, but it can't hurt to hear the whole business.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

4/11 FP

It was as if her mouth had been sewn shut, but - did it really matter? Naomi didn't have much to say, not yet, so she listened. Her eyebrow twitched at the mention of dinosaur hunting, though, and a smile spread across her face. Guns not being part of the hunt didn't matter to her, not when she had her own particular skills.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Beach Fort

"None stay here. We bring back abau. No good for you here. Others there, other Matang." Alika listened to Miles speak about the hunt. He rubbed his chin and looked down at the ground thinking of how to explain the situation. He puts out both of his hands towards the young men in the camp and then mimics grabbing them. "They need hunt. Agpakanga!"

He then makes another gesture, one encompassing the others in the fort. "We stay here. Protect kehl. " He then goes over and grabs a rifle. "Here we use gun."

Hearing Hector's question, he moves over to Sifa and places his hands on the man's shoulders.

"Sifa take them for hunt. Go out with pahn on ground. Liiw Yiim." He lifts his head up and takes a deep sniff. "Liiw Yiim come and ah!" he draws his knife and makes a stabbing motion.

After putting his knife away, he walks over to Jeff.

"Kamwahu. No fight. Rest, eat."

Sifa then says something in their language. Alika nods to him.

"If you want hunt." Speaking to the group as a whole, "Use sarey and yaer only. Go with them."

Azure picks up the full conversation.

No people live on the island. They bring back those they find on the island to their home on another island. Then Alika tries to explain that the young men must go on the hunt because its a rite of passage. However those who stay in the wooden fort are allowed to use any weapons at their disposal to defend themselves, since that isn't part of the ritual hunt.

The hunt is explained. Sifa takes the young men out and they put bait out bait for the dinos. When the dinos come in, they attack the dinos.

What Alika says to Jeff is that the group are guests and they are entitled to be well treated.

Sifa tells Alika that the visitors should be given the chance to participate in the ritual. It is their right.

He then adds that any of the group who want to can join the hunt. As long as they obey the rules of the hunt.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles
6 FP

Having now finished his helping of fish, the knight stands to refill his water which he then sips slowly as he continues to listen. "We would be grateful for your assistance in travelling to your home island where we might meet these other 'Matang', as you call them."

He watches the man's gestures to the others as he talks about the hunt, not quite grasping what the man truly means. But he can tell that whilst the hunt is necessary for these tribal men, the presence of himself and the group is not. "We thank you for your hospitality, once again. Allow us to speak a while before we decide on what we will do."

The knight then turns to his other stranded companions. "I do not quite understand why this hunt is needed but our help in it is not. Lady Azure, did you perhaps sense why? Perhaps we should leave these men to their duties and take up their offer of passage to meet these other fellows who sound as if they arrived the same way we did? Although, I do feel we are honour-bound to return their kindness of food and shelter by assisting in this hunt. What say you all?"

• Locked thread