Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles Sauer - LOST

The storm would be a welcome relief from what he was running from. Or so he had hoped.

The cracking of gunshots falls away behind him as he moves forward, with the storm gaining in ferocity. The trees around him suddenly begin to crack and some are even lifted up into the sky, roots and all. Before he can even work out a way to escape it, he's lifted completely from his feet by the sheer power of the wind and flung through the air like a leaf.

He yells out, but even his voice is carried off by the storm. After what feels like hours of tumbling through the air, his voice finally returns when the clouds part around him and he suddenly drops like a rock. He feels this is it. If he's not already dead then the sudden impact of hitting ground will surely make him so. But it's water he hits instead, which, although it spares his life, brings it's own deadly problems. Being a man of considerable bulk and dressed in full armour, he's filled with the new panic of drowning.

Just before his head is dragged under the water, he catches sight of a beach barely a few strokes away. He can make it. He knows he can. He must. His strength comes in spades and now it proves it's worth more than ever as he fights with every ounce of might he can muster. Lashing forward he soon feels his feet graciously touch sandy ground and he redirects his efforts to walking himself back up to air. With the last of his held breath just about to give out, his head breaches the water's surface and he chugs the air down with relief.

Moving with fierce determination still, we wades his way to the beach front. There are people gathered there with some reaching out to help. He grabs at any hand offered and welcomes the help before collapsing onto his back with a wet, heavy thud. The waves lap at his body as he regains his breath. He squints up to the bright sky above, his eyes stinging from the warm, salty water. Where is he?

He rolls his head from side to side and now sees the wreckage littered across the beach. The people around him are dressed strangely, but each appears to have had the same arrival he did. Most appear friendly at a glance and none seem outwardly hostile or they would have struck him by now. He takes a last deep breath and gets onto to his feet, feeling five times heavier now that his clothes under the armour and the cloak on his back are soaked to the skin.

He draws himself up to his full height and stands before them; six and a half inches of muscle, clad in well-kept armour with a fine sword sheathed at his side. He is every bit the image of a medieval knight.

"If this is heaven then you are the strangest angels I can imagine."

pre:
Name:	Miles Sauer	
Height:	6'5"	        
Weight:	240        
Eyes:	Blue	       
Hair:	Brown		

Attributes     [190]
ST 14  [40]
DX 13  [60]
IQ 13  [60]
HT 13  [30]

HP 14
Will 13
Per 13
FP 13

Basic Lift 39

Basic Speed 6.5
Basic Move 6

Cultural Familiarities:
Languages: English (Native) [0]
German (Native) [6]

Advantages [38]
Combat Reflexes [15]
Fearlessness (1) [2]
Fit [5]
High Pain Threshold [10]

Perks [2]
Deep Sleeper [1]
Weapon Bond (Sauer Sword) [1]

Disadvantages [-30]
Code of Honor (Soldier's) [-10]
Low TL (-4) [-20]

Quirks [-5]
Responsive [-1]
Broad-Minded [-1]
Humble [-1]
TBA [-1]
TBA [-1]

Skills [55]
Acting 12 [1]
Animal Handling (Equines) 12 [1]
Armoury/TL3 (Melee Weapons) 12 [1]
Axe/Mace 12 [1]
Bow 12 [1]
Brawling 14 [2]
Broadsword 15 [8]
Cartography/TL3 12 [1]
Cooking 13 [2]
Dancing 12 [1]
Diplomacy 13 [4]
Fast-Draw (Sword) 14 [1]
	includes: +1 from 'Combat Reflexes'
First Aid/TL3 (Human) 13 [1]
Forced Entry 14 [2]
Gambling 12 [1]
Gardening 13 [1]
Guns/TL8 (Pistol) 13 [1]
Hiking   12 [1]
Interrogation 13 [2]
Intimidation 13 [2]
Knife 13 [1]
Lance 12 [1]
Leadership 12 [1]
Riding (Equines) 13 [2]
Search 12 [1]
Shield (Shield) 13 [1]
Shortsword 13 [1]
Soldier/TL3  13 [2]
Spear 12 [1]
Stealth 12 [1]
Swimming 13 [1]
Tactics  11 [1]
Two-Handed Axe/Mace 13 [2]
Two-Handed Sword 13 [2]
Wrestling 12 [1]
Writing 12 [1]

Stats [190] Ads [38] Disads [-30] Quirks [-5] Skills [55] = Total [250]

Hand Weapons
1  Bastard Sword (Sauer Sword)  LC:4  $2600  Wgt:5  
    one-handed swing  Dam:2d+2 cut  Reach:1,2  Parry:0U  ST:11  Skill:Sword!, Broadsword, DX-5, Force Sword-4, Rapier-4, Saber-4, Shortsword-2, Two-Handed Sword-4  
    one-handed thrust  Dam:1d+1 cr  Reach:2  Parry:0U  ST:11  Skill:Sword!, Broadsword, DX-5, Force Sword-4, Rapier-4, Saber-4, Shortsword-2, Two-Handed Sword-4  
    two-handed swing  Dam:2d+3 cut  Reach:1,2  Parry:0  ST:10†  Skill:Sword!, Two-Handed Sword, DX-5, Broadsword-4, Force Sword-4  
    two-handed thrust  Dam:1d+2 cr  Reach:2  Parry:0  ST:10†  Skill:Sword!, Two-Handed Sword, DX-5, Broadsword-4, Force Sword-4  
1  Large Knife  LC:4  $40  Wgt:1  
    swing  Dam:2d-2 cut  Reach:C,1  Parry:-1  ST:6  Skill:Sword!, Knife, DX-4, Force Sword-3, Main-Gauche-3, Shortsword-3  
    thrust  Dam:1d imp  Reach:C  Parry:-1  ST:6  Skill:Sword!, Knife, DX-4, Force Sword-3, Main-Gauche-3, Shortsword-3  Notes:[1]  

Ranged Weapons
1  Large Knife  LC:4  Dam:1d imp  Acc:0  Range:11.2 / 21  
    RoF:1  Shots:T(1)  ST:6  Bulk:-2  Rcl:  $40  Wgt:1  
1 Walther P38, 9x19mm 
Dam: 2d+2 pi Acc: 2 Range:160/1,800 
Rof: 3 Shots: 8+1(3) ST: 9 Bulk: -2 Rcl: 2 Wgt: 2.4 

Armor
1  Boots  $80  Wgt:3  Location:feet DR:2
1  Gauntlets  $100  Wgt:2  Location:hands DR:4
1  Mail Coif  $55  Wgt:4  Location:skull, neck DR:4/2
1  Mail Leggings  $110  Wgt:15  Location:legs  DR:4/2
1  Mail Sleeves  $70  Wgt:9  Location:arms  DR:4/2
1  Ordinary Clothes  $0  Wgt:2  
1  Steel Breastplate  $500  Wgt:18  Location:torso  DR:5F
1  Cloak Wgt: 1

Possessions
1  Backpack, Small  $60  Wgt:3   
1  Blanket  $20  Wgt:4  
1  Personal Basics  $5  Wgt:1
1  Pouch  $10  Wgt:0  
1  Tobacco Pack
1  Sleeping Fur  $50  Wgt:8  
5  Traveler's Rations  $10  Wgt:2.5  
1  Whetstone  $5  Wgt:1  
1  Smoking Pipe
1  Iron Wedding Ring

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles - LOST

He glances around at the group forming on the beach, a quizzical eyebrow raised at the differences of speech and clothing. He suddenly takes a step back in surprise when a voice not of his own bypasses his ears and forms in his head. His theory of being dead grows stronger as he reckons it to be the voice of an angel. But then he sees one of the ladies gesturing along with the voice, her mouth motionless. He relaxes, no longer surprised for he is no stranger to magical practices even if speaking into his head is something he has not been subjected to before.

"Miss. You are the one speaking into our minds? It would seem you have the gift of magic then. My name is Sir Miles Sauer and I-" He is cut short when he hears another woman's voice, this one passing through his ears. Her shouts from in the sea turn his head. "And I am afraid further introductions will have to wait for now."

With that, he removes his armour and cloak in a few swift motions and lets them fall unceremoniously to the sand. His sword and bag of small possessions are also stripped off his person. He still aches from his own frantic escape onto land, but he could never turn down a woman's screams for help. Soon down to a simple tunic and breaches, he kicks off his boots and dives back into the water.

Being much lighter now, he makes it easily to the lady and throws an arm around her to keep her head above water.

"Breath deeply and hold tight." Keeping a firm hold on her with one arm, he works his other arm and kicks his legs to start bringing them back to shore.

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 19, 2016

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles - LOST

"I would not expect you to call me 'Sir', my lady." he says, between laboured breaths to the lady with an icy personality. "In fact, I would prefer it if you did not."

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 19, 2016

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles - LOST

With everyone brought safety to shore, he goes through the process of reattaching the sword to his side and armour to his body as he listens to the others speak amongst themselves. His sodden cloak is wrapped up in a bundle and thrown into his equally wet bag. He looks to the man called Jeff, handing out sticks that he and others appear to smoke. "Rolled tobacco in paper... I think I will pass for now, my thanks though." He checks the sword at his side and gives the man a smile. "I appear strange to you? This goes both way, good sir."

As the others talk, he cuts in here and there. "I was on no boat either. I was in the Black Forest when the wind swept me up, at least we seem to have that storm in common." The man called Courtney gives it a name. "A 'Banestorm'? Seems a fitting name to me. And it brought us all here... Wherever here is. I take it none of you recognise this place?" He looks about at the beach, seeing the wreckage properly now for the first time. Strange parts of what look like ships made of...metal? But how would they float?

The icy lady, who calls herself Irina, catches his attention. "You flew in a what?" He shakes his head. He could spend hours here trying to wrap his head around these people and their unknown sayings. "No matter." Now that everyone is gathered, he introduces himself again as others are doing the same. "I am Sir Miles Sauer. Please do simply call me Miles. I too would like to know if anyone knows why or exactly how we have come to be here."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles - LOST

He chuckles at Irina. "Free me from a King? My lady, my birthplace and accent may be English, but I serve no King but the Emperor Henry VI of the Holy Roman Empire." It's what she says earlier that makes him think. "Flying since 1964..?" He says the words slowly, processing them in his mind. He turns his back from the group and looks out to the ocean. Different times... Had the New Men come to the Empire the same way he had come to be here?

He stays lost in thought until the lady he pulled from the water is able to answer a few questions at least. "Different Earths?" He turns back to the others. "That... Does explain it somewhat. We are clearly from times and lands very different to each other." He gives Naomi and look of slow understanding. Most of her words make no sense, but he is starting to make some sense of this. "This 'Banestorm' is the reason we are here, we were all caught in it? It's magic pulled us from our lands where our histories and times differ and deposited us here..." He breathes deep and lets out a long sigh. "If that is indeed the case, then it is a lot to think on..."

The knight looks about the beach and nods his head as he makes a decision. "I intend to do something productive whilst I make sense of all this. Perhaps search inland for a local who may be able to say where we are..." The wreckage along the beach is truly odd indeed, perhaps it would be worth searching through it first. "Can any of you make sense of this strange debris?"

Per - 13 to look for anything of interest in the wreckage.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles - Not In Gaum

"Planes and boats." He repeats after Irina, surveying the wreckage on the beach. "And these planes fly you through the sky. Some sort of magic keeping them aloft?" He shakes his head slightly at her mention of food. "What provisions I can share, that are not destroyed by the sea water, will not last us more than a day. We would be wise to find food and water, perhaps even set a camp."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He gives Jeff a warm smile, the first he feels he has given in some time. He always did enjoy a good tune. "A musician? Those are strange instruments you carry, but their sound is soothing. Perhaps you might play us a tune later and help us forget our predicament, if only for a short time."

Irina gets a nod. "I agree. Perhaps we look amongst this wreckage for anything useful and then we find water. I think it best we stay together, also. The Lord only knows what unexpected dangers could lurk nearby."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He looks over the wreckage but finds he cannot make head or tails or it. Strange debris from a time and place he cannot comprehend. Before they make their way inland, it seems one last piece of interest has been found back in the ocean. He takes place beside Jeff, his feet just short of the incoming water as he takes this chance to enjoy the peacefulness of the waves despite the circumstances. "And what might they have there?"

Hector gets a clap on the shoulder. "Good man. Your skills will be a boon to us, I am sure. Let us see what the ladies have found and then we will make a move."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

Strange as it is to see the icy Irina smile, he returns it all the same with a small one of his own. "Hector can indeed take the lead, should he wish." As the ladies take their time bringing whatever they have found out of the ocean, he turns back to regard the area inland. "But dangers could be lurking further in. Wild animals or worse..." The lady Irina may be a captain of her world, but the others do not outwardly appear to be fighters. "Are you all capable of defending yourselves if needed?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He glances down as Jeff reveals a small firearm sheathed between his upper clothing. "I see. These 'Boy Scouts' have trained you to use firearms. It may surprise you to know that I am no stranger these weapons either. Although, perhaps that story is best saved for later when our survival is a little more assured." The firearm he himself had captured months back from the New Men still rests within his bag, possibly worse for wear after his unfortunate swim...

He smirks at the mention of bears. "I hope something like that is the worst this place might have waiting for us. For all we know there could be monsters within that tear down trees and are as illusive as smoke..."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

"I am certain we will all have a great deal of interesting stories to tell around the fire," he replies to Jeff. Gathering around the container with the others, he looks inside at the packaged items. He shrugs at Hector and Courtney, thankful that at least two other people here have no idea what they are looking at. "Are they edible?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He picks up a pack of nuts, turning them over in his hand. "Packaged nuts? Well, I suppose it is better than nothing. Agreed, let us leave these unopened until we have searched for another source of food." After the others take their share, he scoops his own up and places them in his still soggy bag. He does a last check to make sure he has left nothing behind before standing ready with the others.

"I am ready to move. Sadly I am unfamiliar with this type of environment, but I will keep both eyes sharp for food, water or danger." He pulls his blade from his scabbard and gives it a quick check over for any damage. Satisfied that it still remains a perfectly good item for killing, he sheaths it with a snap. "I will follow you."

BM is 6. Encumbrance is medium. Hiking - 12. Per - 13 for any threats or sign of food/water as we go. No survival skills.

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 23, 2016

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

It doesn't seem to take all that long at all until Hector leads them to a rather nice clearing not too far from the beach. He wipes sweat from his forehead with his palm. This climate is certainly hotter than the one he had been in back in Germany and the short hike is definitely making him feel it. Some fresh, cool water definitely will not go amiss right now.

"A decent spot," he states to the others. "A possible plan is that we could camp here and search around the area to find food and water nearby. Staying close to the beach may be in our best interest, should a ship pass by." He shrugs in his armour. "Or we can try our luck further on. I defer to the judgement of those of you who know these types of environments better."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

Pushing all thoughts creeping in of how mad this entire situation is to the back of his head for now, the knight strips off his armour once more. The hassle of taking it all off only to put it on again later is far more preferable than working in it under the hot sun. He's thankful for the distraction of work and basic survival but he is becoming increasingly aware of how little sleep he may get later on when his mind has the chance to think all this over...

Digging through his bag, he pulls out his rolled up sleeping fur, a few blankets and his cloak; all of which are still damp from the ocean. He finds a branch to dry them off some as they work, or failing that he simply lays them out of the ground. The cloak stands out the most, emblazoned as it is with his coat of arms; a white lion on a navy blue background. His sword belt remains tightly strapped to his side though.

"I regret to say that I have little in the way of camping supplies, aside from my roll of fur and few blankets." He turns to Jeff as the man suggests splitting up to both find water and set up camp. "I feel we will need good Hector's skills for both tasks. It would be best if we all set up camp now and then we will have everyone ready to help search for water once this is done."

He spots Irina taking a drink from her canteen. "Lady Irina. Might I trouble you for a drink?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

"Any sort of water will be just fine," he says with a grateful smile as he accepts the container of water. "Believe me, I am sure I have tasted worse." He takes a good sip, but not enough to appear rude. If they are all to survive here together it's wise to keep from angering anyone and this Irina appears the easily irritable sort. The water has an odd flavor, as the Russian says, but it still tastes divine in the hot climate.

"God bless you, my lady," he says as he hands back the water. Quickly, he thinks again on what he's just said, remembering that she hasn't appeared all too favourable to the existence of God. "I mean, my thanks."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He stops for a moment, wiping sweat from his brow with his forearm and gives Irina his attention as she talks. The mention of her grandfather makes him smile in understanding. "It is good to have hope, yet one cannot allow that to stop them from doing all they can to change their situation for the better, should it need to be changed. Faith I find is better. Faith that you will make it through hard struggles if you give it your all." A familiar saying enters his head and he chuckles. 'God helps those who help themselves'.

"Just like now. I have faith that the Lord will see us through, but only if we do all we can to survive and work together." When she talks of serving, he shrugs. "Serving a lord is no bad thing, so long as the lord you serve is just." In his experience he has found that one can still serve and yet remain free. "Forgive me, this topic may lead us into a heated discussion which is not my intent.

"I may not agree with your viewpoint my lady. But I respect it. We all must follow our own path. I pray it will not cause aggression between us and I shall endeavour to keep my faith to myself rather than preaching instead of practicing."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

The knight nods with a small, smiling sigh at Irina. "Very well. We can agree to disagree yet it is good to know we are both not without manners." He expects no one to form bonds of fellowships during their time here for...well, however long they are to be here. Being amiable is all he can ask for and he's grateful to have that much in return from the icy woman.

The sigil on his cloak is addressed and he walks over to it and picks it up, running a hand over the lion decorated upon it. "By all rights, I am a 'Sir'. I have a lordship and lands as well as command over a household retinue." Or at least he did... The arrival of the New Men had changed that somewhat. But that he feels is a subject for another time.

"I simply do not like being addressed as 'Sir', my lady," he looks almost downcast for a moment before shrugging it off and placing his cloak back to dry off. "Besides, titles matter little here, do they not?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

"It would be a very expensive costume, if so," he replies to Jeff as he gives the man a hand setting up the cover. When that's done, he bundles up a collection of twigs and branches for fire wood, placing them in a pile not far from the created pit. "I believe keeping a fire going all night should be a plan. We can take shifts for keeping watch and also keep it refueled."

When talk of getting water comes up, he nods in agreement too. "A fine plan. I shall assist as well. I have no container, sadly, but an extra pair of eyes and arms cannot hurt." He checks his cloak and feels it's dry enough, rolling it up carefully in his bag. After a thought, he decides to leave his armour piled up neatly at the camp. With this temperature and his current state of fatigue, walking in it around the jungle will have him keeling over before any water is found. The others walk around unarmoured as it is, so he will simply take the risk.

"Hector, if you would be good enough to lead whichever way you feel is best."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

"Indeed..." He steps over to Naomi and inspects this 'lucifer'. It is hardly the name he would use, even if it seems somewhat fitting... "And it makes fire? This small thing? I will be curious to see once we return from our search."

Just a heads up that I will be away until Sunday, so please do npc me if things get busy between now and then.

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 26, 2016

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

"With flint and tinder." He shrugs, figuring he must appear like a backward idiot to these people. "It seems things have progressed to make tasks a lot easier in your times. So it strikes small stones together inside this small device? Most interesting..."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

The pool of water is hardly impressive, but beggars cannot be choosers. "If some of you have a way to make this drinkable, than let us take as much as we can carry. We can last at least through tonight and the morning." Tomorrow will grant a better chance to hunt both water and food, especially after a somewhat decent rest.

He peers at the tracks, but is unable to discern what type of animals they belong to. "Hector, might you be able to tell what animals have been here?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

"Some sort of...large bird?" Whatever creature it belongs to is one unknown to him, traveled as he might consider himself back on his world. Worryingly, the others seem just as perplexed, even the seasoned tracker. "It could be a creature the likes of which none of us have seen before." All the better reason to get moving, he thinks. "Indeed," he nods to Hector. "Let us gather what we can carry quickly and return to camp, we can hunt pigs tomorrow. I do not mind what this water tastes like once it has been treated, so long as it is drinkable enough to not kill us.

"Let us fill the containers and be about this swiftly."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He keeps quiet as they haul back the water to camp, his mind thinking on this whole ordeal and his eyes searching for a possible sighting of whatever creature left that puzzling footprint. Back at camp, he watches with interest as the others use their advanced technology to start up a fire. What other tricks and secrets might they be hiding, he wonders. Strange how at home he spent his time fighting against those who bought strange new technology with them, yet now he must surrounded himself with it in order to survive. But of course, those with him now have already shown themselves to have far better senses of character than the New Men that he has fought so fiercely.

As the others gather around the fire, he picks up one of his now dry blankets and sits by Azure, passing it to the lady without a word. As the others talk of taking watch throughout the night, he takes his sword belt off and lays it over his crossed legs. "I will take first watch."

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 30, 2016

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

"I welcome the company, my lady," he says to Azure as the lady's voice fills his mind. Strange, he thinks, how used to it he's already becoming. "I also doubt i wil be able to sleep so quickly, despite the activities of today."

He picks out a small meal of food from his bag, consisting only of meat and mixed vegtables still slightly damp from the ocean. He also helps himself to some boiled water once it's had a chance to cool some.
"We will take first watch then we rotate every two hours. If Jeff and the Lady Irina wish to follow us. By my counting we are one short of having two for each watch, so i will volunteer for the last as well."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He sits now with his back to the fire, eyes watching their surroundings for movement or sounds other than that of bugs and insects. Every so often he stands and walks the perimeter of the camp before returning to sit by the fire. He always has one hand on his sword.

"What a day..." he says more to himself than Azure. "I have seen many works of magic in my world, yet never did I think of encountering one so strong that it would take me to another world." Whatever reason there is for them being here, there must be some way back. The Lord would not banish him here with no way to return, not when there is so much to do back home.

"If there is a way back, we will find it," he says with ironclad determination, once again though it is said more to himself than Azure.

The knight shifts his sight momentarily from the surrounding jungle to the magical lady he shares his watch with. "My lady, forgive me for asking a personal question but have you always been without a voice? I mean, in the traditional sense. As I said, I have seen many works of magic, but yours is very unique. Are all from your world the same?"

Per - 13 to watch for danger.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He takes the handed flask with a grateful nod, has a swig and passes it back. "Forgive me," he says, with a hint of embarrassment in his voice. "I did not mean to cause offence by asking about your voice. We have only just met after all."

His gaze shifts back to the jungle as he thinks on what she has said and he remains silent for a moment. "Indeed," he says finally, looking back to Azure. "Different worlds as well as different times. And you are from one where the Empire was destroyed by a Napoleon?" He says the name slowly, trying to repeat it correctly. "And the Captain from one where Russia has dominated countries I have not even heard of." Worlds where his way of life must be as different to them as the Ancient Roman Empire to him.

And this 'Banestorm', it might indeed be the answer as to how the New Men arrived in the Empire...

"In my world..." He pauses, trying to think of a way to explain it to the lady. "A new group of Germans had recently arrived in the Empire. They were different. Their clothing and technology was far superior than anything I had ever seen and the Emperor was charmed by this. These 'New Men', as we call them, gained power within Germany but they began to act with cruelty and malice to its subjects and those they deemed inferior. Myself and others took up the sword against them, fighting to keep the Empire as Barbarossa had envisioned it and protect the people."

He reaches into his bag and pulls out a Walther P38, although he does not know it by this name. "They carried these. And after coming here and meeting you all, I now know that the New Men came to my world through this 'Banestorm' or in a similar fashion. But the one I took this firearm from told me that they came intentionally, not by accident through worlds as we have. So if that is the case, than there must be a way we can travel back to our own worlds." He shakes his head and sighs. "Although how we do that in our current situation, I do not know..."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

"The Empire defeated by an Emperor," he muses. "And a Frenchman at that." He chuckles jovially despite the knowledge that the Empire he so loves has fallen in one world or another. He offers no resistance when the gun is taken but simply waits until the lady has set it down. "Do not worry, my lady. I have become accustomed to it and I know how to use it should I wish. I simply do not know the ins and outs of how it functions. Believe me, I have seen firsthand the damage these small weapons can inflict..." The images of his fallen comrades and friends flash briefly through his mind.

When asked if he would want to go home, he looks at her in surprise. "You would not? How can I want to stay away knowing that evil men commit atrocities upon innocent people in a land I have come to love? I swore to protect those in need of it and yet here I am, stuck in a distant world far from the people who need my help the most..."

One thing Azure said earlier lingers in his mind, demanding an answer. "You said the New Men seem similar to another group? Who?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

The knight nods along to the history lesson. "I see. Strange to learn of future events as if they are ancient history..."

The explanation of the New Men, or those similar to them turns his expression more grim. "They sound similar indeed," he says, gazing off into the jungle. "These men I fought may well be the same group from a world like yours then." They were unsatisfied with one world and so their greed brought them to his.

He falls silent again, watching the jungle, listening to the crackle of fire and the sounds of small wildlife around him. Further thoughts on the troubles of home can wait until he has found a way to return to it. Surviving this place is all he shall afford himself to think of now.

Ready to move on, unless there is something to add.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He may not have a way of keeping accurate time, but he still has a good sense of it so when two hours feels to have passed he turns to Azure. "Our watch is over, my lady. I hope sleep comes easily for you."

He walks over and wakes Irina and Jeff. "Your turn," he whispers. "All quiet so far." The knight then beds down for the night and shuts his eyes.

Next up. Thanks PS!

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

The knight sleeps like a log. Having slept in some of the roughest conditions, battlegrounds and sieges, sleep comes easily to him now despite the circumstances. A shame though that he has barely a few hours to rest before the Captain shouts. But he's up in a second when the shouting starts, springing to his feet. He pulls his sword out in a smooth motion, the steel rasping as it's drawn; his own growl to match that of whatever creature might be approaching them.

He's by Irina and Jeff seconds after the Captain has lit her strange torch, the musician seeming to be babbling nonsense as they both level their firearms into the jungle. He stands ready to face whatever might jump out of the jungle, his blade appearing to be made of flame as it reflects the campfire.

"What is it? What do you see?"

Per - 13

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

"I saw...something," he says reassuringly to Jeff. "I did not get a good look but the shouts and light must have run it off. I agree with the Captain, let us keep the fire burning bright unless it has not been deterred from approaching again." Following his own words, he chucks more wood onto the fire. "I will remain awake a while longer, as should most of us, in case they return."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He sees and hears nothing creeping out from the jungle and the others confirm his thoughts that the intruders have retreated for now, so he sheaths his sword and stifles a yawn. "Making torches to surround the camp will take time, but those on watch can make them whilst keeping the fire we have stoked to keep the animals at bay, should you wish."

The knight looks to Azure as the woman's voice enters his mind once more. "Your talents continue to impress, my lady. Well it seems we can relax somewhat for now as whatever came for us has fled. I suggest purely maintaining the watch as we have been and for those who stay awake to call us again should you see or hear anything large rustle nearby."

With the rush of adrenaline now passed, his yawning increases and he raises a hand to rub his tired eyes. "Tomorrow we should search this landscape more and find a more defensible ground to camp. A cave perhaps." He beds back down on his bearskin rug and throws a blanket over him. "Wake me if something comes to kill us." And with that, he is out like a light.

Quirk - Deep Sleeper

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

"The beach may be the best bet for a morning bath," says the knight, his voice drifting across the camp with the slow speech of a man still waking up. In truth he's been awake for some minutes already, yet still he is laying down with eyes closed after remembering his surroundings are sadly not a dream like he had first thought. A nightmare, perhaps, but no dream...

He's always had a knack for sleeping in the worst of places -the siege of Acre being a particular one to remember- but still he feels a whole day spent in bed would not go amiss at this point. However, the new day brings only new work to be done to ensure their survival.

"A trip back to the beach might be a good place to check," he says, rising to his feet and strapping his sword belt back on. "Not only to wash but to see if other wayward souls have gathered there. Or, dare I hope for it, some sort of rescue."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

The knight helps himself to a quick breakfast from whatever meager items of food he has left and what little remains from their water collection yesterday. As Jeff the musician plays his instrument, he stops and silently admires the man's talent until the song stops. "A fine tune, sir. I find that I welcome music even more during trying times, so please do not hesitate to play when you feel the need." He cocks an eyebrow up at Courtney as the man then describes his singing problem. "A strange affliction indeed, sir." He chuckles with a smile. "We shall add it to the list of strange happenings."

As the others begin to rise in earnest, he sets about packing his small list of possessions and starts strapping on his armour. To Jeff's question, he speaks up; "If no one has a better plan, I say we head back to the beach now. Rescue may be but a fool's hope, but the chances of a wash and catching some fish are still high. After that we should search for another water source and perhaps better shelter.

"And if we run into any of these large birds-" He taps his sword hilt. "-That will at least solve our shortage of food."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

""I do not know 'Rock and Roll'," he says to Jeff as the group make their way though the jungle back to the beach. "But I like the song you played. Perhaps if fate is determined to keep us all together for some time, you might teach me of it." The tracks left by what appears to be these giant birds earn a wary glance before he shifts his gaze permanently to the jungle for the duration of their walk. A surprise visit from these beasts first thing in the morning is the last thing they need, especially with the hot sun already beating down on them and seeking to drain their energy.
"You would prefer to walk today with the dirt and sweat of yesterday still on you?" he says to Courtney. "You should wash now whilst we have the chance. The Lord knows that any water we find inland will be needed more for drinking than bathing."

The sight of the beach is a welcome one, even if no sign of any passing ship or rescue of any kind is there to greet them. "No other souls perhaps, but that is also a blessing. No beasts that intend to do us harm."

As they find a shallow part of the beach in which to bath, the knight strips off his armour and his pack. In no time at all he soon stands with only his trousers and sword belt still on, his bare chest cooling nicely in the sun from the sea breeze. He scrunches his toes in the sand underneath, flexing his feet now they are free of his boots.

"Ladies first? We can have our backs to you, both to allow privacy and to watch the jungle."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

"If you wish to wash, miss, feel free." He says to Naomi. "We gentlemen can keep watch for us all whilst we wait." As he continues to keep watch for any signs of life in the jungle ahead, his mind starts to wonder on what is to come after this. "It might be best to discuss our next course of action for when we are finished on this beach. Searching for water is a priority still, but a better place to camp and searching this land would also be worthy plans..." As he thinks, he casts his eyes briefly upward. Perhaps they might look to higher ground.

Per - 13. Are there any hills or mountains around which might give a good view of the local area?

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

The wash is most welcome, although he does not spend long in the water. Jeff's thought on leaving a sign for passing ships is a good one, yet he wonders how they might achieve it. A fire or perhaps hauling rocks and wood to make a symbol? His own idea of reaching higher ground seems somewhat hopeful, but he does not have long to ponder on it before the others find something and call out.

"Floating wreckage?" he suggests, dressing once more and strapping on his armour. He stands by the shore, watching Courtney wade out to lay hands on the object. "Is it anything of use, sir?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He takes a closer look at the piece of wood as it's brought closer. The carvings appear both familiar and foreign to him. "It is some sort of decorative symbol then, like I have seen druids and tribal folk make but different in a way I have never seen..." Many questions surround the strange object. "Can anyone make sense of it? If it was originally from this island and has not been in the water long, as you say, Sir Hector, then perhaps whoever tossed it in is nearby. We could try to search for them... Or perhaps it fell in from another world, just as we did."

Thinking of the likelihood that other people are lurking nearby, more tribal in nature, makes him clench a hand around his sword hilt instinctively. "My lady, Azure," he says turning to the woman as he remembers something. "Did you not give the impression that you can sense others nearby? Could you detect others on this island aside from us?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

The knight watches with a bemused smirk at Courtney's reaction from Azure throwing a stone at the wooden object. "Calm, sir. Merely a jest, I am sure." He gives Azure a sideways look, smirking from the side of his mouth. "Let us see to these 'See Dees' you mentioned, whilst our kind fishermen catch our lunch." He sets about looking for the silver disks on the beach and in spots within the shallow waters that won't disturb Jeff's fishing attempts. He has no idea what the round silver objects are for, of course, but he does know they will catch the light enough to shine brightly at anything passing by.

Per - 13. Grabbing any C.Ds on the beach or in the shallows far enough from Jeff not to damage his fishing roll. If enough are found, Miles will attach them to the treeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He steps back and admires his handiwork now that whatever shiny disks he could find are attached to the treeline, sending off bright spots of light as they sun catches them in the wind. He admires the fresh fish Hector catches, feeling his stomach rumble just looking at it. Jeff's haul isn't as impressive, but still it can feed a few mouths. "Fine catches, sirs. My stomach thanks you both in advance."

As Irina talks of making a signal fire, he moves to help her with collecting firewood. "Perhaps we could set some of this washed up wreckage ablaze. T'would make for a fine fire. Perhaps we will even attract whatever souls linger on this island, aside from us." During the gathering of wood, he strikes upon a thought. "Unless anyone objects, we might think of staying here tonight. We have seen these big birds stray away from the beach and the large fire alone will keep them at bay. True, if anyone sees our signal fire, we should be here to greet them. We will need to find more water at some point..."

• Locked thread