Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Hector the Weasel - Unknown Beach
After so much time lost in the darkness of the clouds, the relative clarity of the vast, spacious sea is a welcome sight; but the panic he felt when he was first picked up by the howling winds resurfaces as he feels those same winds abandon him and send him plummeting towards the water. He controls his urge to scream and holds his breath.

The impact is strong enough that it escapes his mouth anyway, as it sends him a full spear lenght underwater. His eyes stings as he looks upwards, to see the bubbles that used to be in his lungs escape towards the surface; he quickly follows them upwards, already feeling the pressure in his chest from the lack of air, buoyed slightly by his backpack. Once he emerged he gasps, hungry for air, and takes a moment to survey his surroundings. The relative warmth of the water surprises him, and the presence of flotsam worries him. Has there been a shipwreck here? But what sort of ship could be made of metal?

Questions for another time, perhaps. He grabs hold of some kind of stuffed chair that seems to float decently, and dog paddles his way towards the shore. He's almost out of breath as he comes within talking distance of a number of people in bizarre clothing; he stops to rest a bit, and finds that he is close enough to the shore that his feet touch the bottom. He is just close enough to hear the knight, the only one whose outfit he is somewhat familiar with (even though he never saw one before) talking about angels.

"Oh, uhm" he clears his throat, hoping to get ther attention. "Do any of you folks know if, uh, if we're dead and this is really Heaven? It's not how I imagined it'd be, but then, I'm not sure what Heaven is supposed to look like, so. It seems rather too nice to be Hell.l"

pre:
Name: Hector the Weasel
Race: Human

Attributes [125]
ST 10
DX 13 [60]
IQ 13 [60]
HT 11 [10]

HP 10
Will 14 [5]
Per 14 [5]
FP 11

Basic Lift 20
Damage 1d-2/1d

Basic Speed 5,25 [-15]
Basic Move 5

Ground Move 5
Water Move 1

Social Background
TL: 4 [0]
Cultural Familiarities: 
Languages: Aramaic (Broken/Literate) [3]; English (Native) [0].

Advantages [118]
Cunning Folk (2) [20]
Empathy [15]
Luck [15]
Outdoorsman (1) [10]
Photographic Memory [10]
Pitiable [5]
Speak With Animals [25]
Very Fit [15]

Disadvantages [-30]
Low TL (-3) [-15]
Weirdness Magnet [-15]

Quirks [-5]
-Likes people that don't fit in [-1]
Careful [-1]
Distinctive Feature (Witch's Wart) [-1]
Habit (mumbles about plant properties when he picks or touches them) [-1]
Whispers often [-1]

Skills [42]
Animal Handling (Dogs) IQ/A - IQ+1 14 [1]
includes: +2 from 'Cunning Folk'
Animal Handling (Raptors) IQ/A - IQ+1 14 [1]
Boating/TL4 (Unpowered) DX/A - DX-1 12 [1]
Dancing DX/A - DX-1 12 [1]
Detect Lies Per/H - Per+1 15 [1]
includes: +3 from 'Empathy'
First Aid/TL4 (Human) IQ/E - IQ+1 14 [2]
Fishing Per/E - Per+1 15 [1]
includes: +1 from 'Outdoorsman'
Fortune-Telling (Palmistry) IQ/A - IQ+4 17 [1]
includes: +2 from 'Cunning Folk', +3 from 'Empathy'
Herb Lore/TL4 IQ/VH - IQ+1 14 [4]
Hiking HT/A - HT+0 11 [2]
Naturalist (Earth) IQ/H - IQ+2 15 [2]
includes: +2 from 'Cunning Folk', +1 from 'Outdoorsman'
Navigation/TL4 (Land) IQ/A - IQ+0 13 [1]
Occultism IQ/A - IQ+2 15 [2]
Pharmacy/TL4 (Herbal) IQ/H - IQ+0 13 [4]
Poisons/TL4 IQ/H - IQ+0 13 [1]
Scrounging Per/E - Per+2 16 [4]
Sling DX/H - DX+0 13 [4]
Staff DX/A - DX+1 14 [4]
Survival (Woodlands) Per/A - Per+2 16 [4]
Weather Sense IQ/A - IQ+1 14 [1]

Stats [125] Ads [118] Disads [-30] Quirks [-5] Skills [42] = Total [250]

Hand Weapons
1 Quarterstaff LC:4 $10 Wgt:4 
Staff swing Dam:1d+2 cr Reach:1,2 Parry:12 ST:7† Skill:SK:Staff, ST:DX-5, SK:Polearm-4, SK:Spear-2 
Staff thrust Dam:1d cr Reach:1,2 Parry:12 ST:7† Skill:SK:Staff, ST:DX-5, SK:Polearm-4, SK:Spear-2 
Sword swing Dam:1d+2 cr Reach:1,2 Parry:7 ST:9† Skill:SK:Sword!, SK:Two-Handed Sword, ST:DX-5, SK:Broadsword-4, SK:Force Sword-4 
Sword thrust Dam:1d-1 cr Reach:2 Parry:7 ST:9† Skill:SK:Sword!, SK:Two-Handed Sword, ST:DX-5, SK:Broadsword-4, SK:Force Sword-4 
2 Small Knife LC:4 $60 Wgt:1 
Swing Dam:1d-3 cut Reach:C,1 Parry:6 ST:5 Skill:SK:Sword!, SK:Knife, ST:DX-4, SK:Force Sword-3, SK:Main-Gauche-3, SK:Shortsword-3 
Thrust Dam:1d-3 imp Reach:C Parry:6 ST:5 Skill:SK:Sword!, SK:Knife, ST:DX-4, SK:Force Sword-3, SK:Main-Gauche-3, SK:Shortsword-3 Notes:[1] 

Ranged Weapons
2 Small Knife LC:4 Dam:1d-3 imp Acc:0 Range:5 / 10 
RoF:1 Shots:T(1) ST:5 Bulk:-1 Rcl: $60 Wgt:1 
1 Staff Sling LC:4|4 $20 Wgt:2 
Stone Dam:1d+1 pi Acc:1 Range:100 / 150 
RoF:1 Shots:1(2) ST:7† Bulk:-6 Rcl: Notes:[3,7] 
Lead bullet Dam:1d+2 pi Acc:1 Range:200 / 300 
RoF:1 Shots:1(2) ST:7† Bulk:-6 Rcl: Notes:[3,7] 

Armor & Possessions
1 Pouch $10 Wgt:0 Location: Torso
1 50 lead bullets for sling $5 Wgt:.1 Location: Pouch
1 Backpack, Frame $100 Wgt:10 Location: Back
1 Boots $80 Wgt:3 Location:feet 
1 First Aid Kit $1000 Wgt:2 Location: Pouch (Gives +2 to First Aid skill checks)
1 Fishhooks & Line $50 Wgt:0 Location: 
1 Heavy Leather Leggings $60 Wgt:4 Location:legs 
1 Heavy Leather Sleeves $50 Wgt:2 Location:arms 
1 Leather Armor $100 Wgt:10 Location:torso, groin 
1 Leather Gloves $30 Wgt:0 Location:hands 
1 Leather Helm $20 Wgt:.5 Location:skull, face 
1 Personal Basics $5 Wgt:1 Location: backpack
1 Rope, 3/8'' (per 10 yards) $5 Wgt:1.5 Location: Backpack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector jumps back a bit as he hears a voice coming directly from inside his mind. He looks at the woman that the knight identifies as the responsible one, eyes almost bulging out of his skull. A witch, with powers that even Grandmother Toadstool doesn't have, operating out in the open, with no fear of censure or being burned at the stake! In what strange land has he landed on?

He is so distracted by this that he only belatedly realizes that there are still castaways in need of help. Guiltily, he approaches the lady that the knight, Sir Miles, and the angry woman drag to the shoreline. "Is she awake? Does she breathe? I can help her if she isn't, just put her down where it's dry."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector passes an hand through his hair. Different worlds, different Earths, an empire that wasn't the Roman one... this is all very confusing, and that is without taking into consideration the lady who might be a ghost or a powerful wizard.
"Uhm, well. Since we are introducing ourselves... I'm Hector. Just Hector, I don't have a surname, although people sometimes call me the Weasel." He laughs a nervous laugh. "Well, it's clear that this situation is as weird for you folks as much as it is for me. Which is kind of a shame, it would have been nice to see someone who knows about..." He makes a vague gesture that is meant to embrace the island, the coast and the debris. "... all of this."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector' eyes light up as he hears the scary lady (Irina, was it?) take command.
"Oh! I can help with that! I travelled through the woods a lot, to find herbs and to deliver poultices and such. I should be able to find us some water and..." he looks at the forest, suddenly doubtful. "Well, I don't know if I'm going to be familiar with the plants around here, but if they are anything like the ones that grow back in Kielder, I can tell which are good to eat." He rubs his chin, thoughtful.

"It wouldn't hurt to check if there are any good herbs, and where they grow, while we're at it." he mumbles.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector
Hector smiles a bit at the praise, but as the focus of the group shifts toward the secured box he joins them in taking a look. He blinks when he sees the contents.

"Does anyone know what these are?" he gestures as if to grab one, but then seems to think better of it. "Wait, are they safe to touch? What if they are toxic?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector - Unknown Beach
Having understood that these mysterious things are apparently food (and wishing on some level to see what this alien food from another world looks like, and why is it kept in these minuscule pouches) Hector nods in agreement with the smooth-talking man.

"There isn't much in the way of landmarks here, but if we decide to take a look deeper in the forest, I'll cut Xs onto the trees so we can find our way back here."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector the Weasel - Leaving the Beach
"Alright then!" the young man exclaims, trying to hide the nervousness in his voice as he steps towards the woods. He's used to being the one receiving orders, not giving them. His brain scrambles to think of the most basic information he must give to people who've probably never tracked in the wilderness before.

"Everyone, just stick together and don't leave the main group! We won't know how to find you if you get lost. Oh, and don't touch any plant you don't recognize!" He pulls out his knife and cuts the first X on the most nearby tree. "In fact, don't touch any plant you think you recognize, either. Plenty of killers pretend to be innocent weeds, you know."
I have a Basic Move of 5 and am right now at Light encumbrance.

So do we want to stop and forage along the way or just explore for now?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 22, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector - Somewhere in the Jungle
"Aye, animals are unlikely to try anything with a group as big as ours. If we pick a spot that they can't find easily, we can rest easily enough. We'll need the energy for tomorrow.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector - Campsite
First things first: set up a fire to scare off any would be predators. No telling what beasts might roam this mysterious place. Hector set up the wood for the camp, with the smaller, more flammable sticks on the inside and the bigger ones that would burn longer externally. Perfect. Now to just get a fire started by-

GTD Aquitaine posted:

"I have a lucifer, if you need it," she said. "For the fire."
Hector's head whips around. "A what now? It's not really... you know... that, right? It's just a name, isn't it?"

He rises. "You know what, you all are right, we should head out and get some water. I am going to try and find some, if anyone wants to join me? We should get the fire started first, though, so everyone who stays here will be safe and warm. Well, as safe and warm as one can be in our situation."

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 25, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector - Campsite
The young man crosses his arms over his chest. "Evidently, the need to create fire is common amongst all our worlds. It makes me feel better, in a way; although we chase our goals in different ways, we all have basic human needs in common." he shakes his head, refocusing on the present. "Speaking of, we ought to get to started on taking care of some of those. Let's head out and look for water. Everyone who's coming, same as before: stick together, don't touch anything!"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector - Watering Hole
Hector advances towards the rain water. "Hm. Stagnant. Animals seem to come here to drink, but honestly, this water's dirty enough that it's likely to give us the runs if we drank it. We might be able to hunt something when it comes here to drink, though."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector
"Uh, possibly, Sir Miles. These woods are different from the ones back home, but maybe their tracks will tell me of the animals' size and other such things."

Which skill should I roll to determine what animals left these tracks? Survival? Naturalist?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector - Watering Hole
Hector kneels down, observing the tracks. "Ah, this is good! Pigs have certainly come to drink here, if we ambush one we'll have plenty of me-" he interrupts himself, lowering his head to look at some other tracks more closely. "Oh Lord."
He points at the biggest track, a three-fingered thing long at least one foot, in a shape he has never seen before. "Only something bigger than a bear could lay tracks like these." He says, fear seeping in his voice. "And look at its shape! What monstrous creature could have laid them?"

He looks around, as if the beast was waiting for him to say that to strike. "We should secure what water we can and leave quickly. We can boil it or use those "ta-blets" you mentioned back at camp."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector - Campsite
The young man pushes around the embers of the campsite, to make sure that it stays lit.

"I can take a watch if there is need! How many are we doing?"

"Oh, and I don't like bringing this up, but we didn't actually find any food, so... should we eat that future food you found at sea? I was hoping we could save it for an emergency..."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector - Campsite
"It's probably better to have two people awake at a time, right? Just in case."
Hector turns towards the fire again, poking at the embers. The fire, to tell the truth, is alright; he's justhe feeling thoughtful. Everything happened so fast, he didn't really internalise the reality of the situation: but in this moment of calm, he can feel uncomfortable questions bubble up inside of him. How many worlds are out there? Why did this storm pick up all these strangers and deposit them here? Did Grandma Toadstool know about this?

There is no benefit on dwelling on this, he decides. He ought to think about something else. For example...

"Irina, madam? Earlier you called me "tracker". Is that... something from your world?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector - Campsite

Hector awakens with a jolt, looking around without immediately understanding where he is. Once he realizes that, and what exactly is happening, he awakens completely and scrambles for his sling, depositing a lead bullet in it and looking around in the darkness.

"W-who's there? We're not scared of you! We're many, and armed!"

Per 14 here.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector
The young man lowers his sling, but he keeps it in his hand, still one edge.
"Wheter birds or wolves or God knows what else, if they are animals odds are good that they won't get near the fire. Irina's torch fence idea isn't a bad one, I know I'll sleep better with that, we just need to put them far enough from the trees that we don't cause a forest fire."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector

The young man stretches as he wakes; he rubs the last remnants of sleep out of his face.
"Yeah, that's probably a good idea, Sir Miles. I might be able to catch some fish in there. Wherever we might be, a fish is still a fish, one would hope."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector - on our way to the beach
"Even with that being the case" says Hector "It's important to try and stay as clean as possible. The very first thing that Grandmother Toadstool told me, that was. 'If the plague you keep in scorn, take a bath 'bout every morn.'"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector - Beach
"Uh. Now here's something you don't see every day." Hector lowers himelf to take a closer look. "Mustn't have been in the water very long. Looks like some kind of...statue? An idol, maybe? Could mean that this island i inhabited. Now there's a scary thought."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector - Beach

"That's a pretty good question there, master Jeff." mumbles Hector, producing his fishing line and wrapping it around his arm. "Maybe it's a tradition of theirs, or maybe this one got lost. We have no way of knowing that now. For the time being, I'm going to see if I can get us some food without running amok of giant beasts."

Fishing 15

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector

Hector smiles at the compliment. "Thank you kindly, master Jeff. I could teach you how to catch the big ones later, if you'd like." As he says that, he produces a sharp knife and plants it straight in the fish's brain, ceasing its trashing; then he removes the gill rakers with a practiced motion. "Now we'll just have to wait for this fellow to bleed out and it'll be ready for cooking."

Noticing Irina starting to prepare the fire, he jumps up and moves to join her. It's an elating feeling, having so many opportunities to help out. Makes him feel important. At the mention of a fire he starts mumbling with himself.

"A signal fire... we'll need clean wood, not too big pieces. Wish I had my axe with me..." He clears his throat. "First things first, I think we should get everything that we need to eat and drink for today and maybe tomorrow. Once our basic needs are secured, we can try and build a signal fire. We don't know how long it'll take for someone to see the smoke, we ought to take care of our own survival first."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector
The young man fidgets with his knife, and checks again that he has enough sling bullets. "Alright, but let's just be prudent about this, if you please. There is no guarantee that whoever made that fire is friendly."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector - Near the Fort
The heat is strong, the road is hard, the jungle filled with insects and worrying sounds; it is a much more unpleasant trek than the ones he usd to do back home. What seemed to him like unpleasant slogs through the forested countryside, always on edge in case bandits would try to rob him, now look like peaceful walks in peace and harmony, and with a lot less of these forsaken bugs. He's not nearly as tired as some of his companions though, who seem near the point of collapse.

While he's not enthusiastic about the idea, he recognizes the need to not appear hostile and puts back his sling. He eyes warily the mounted skulls (only of animals, innocuos animals, no need to worry...) and follows Sir Miles as he advances towards the encampment.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector - the Fort
Hector's eyes go from Irina to the islander as they speak. Nor understanding what is being said makes him feel tense, but at least the body language seems to suggest that this inhabitant of the fort, at least, means no harm.

"Do you think they speak the same tongue? It all soundstarted like gibberish to me." He asks Jeff, a moment before receiving the telepathic message from Azure. Between the "tone" of the message and his companions' reactions, it seems that whatever a dinosaur is it must be a terrible menace. "Well, at least it's something that you folks are familiar with. How are we going to communicate with this man? Azure, maybe you should speak in his mind as well?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector
6 FP

Hector sips at the offered water, with a quick nod of thanks. He drinks deeply, knowing that he needs to be in top shape if he is to participate to such an hunt. As much as he enjoys walks in the woods, he's no big game hunter: he's taken out the occasional rabbit with his slings, but he doubts he could easily kill a wolf, let alone these monsters they are now expected to hunt. Hoping to be understood, he asks their host.

"I was wondering, how is this hunt going to work, exactly? We are not familiar with hunting these... Liiw Yiim."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

So I take it I can't use my sling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector

The young man holds onto his sling and touches his staff and knife, finding comfort in their weight. It's a scary thought, hunting monsters with these odd men and his odder still companions. But he has as good a chance as any to do it. "I'll use me own weapons, I think. I'm used enough to them that it'll be better than using something I've never hold onto in my life."

• Locked thread