Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
  • Locked thread
ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!


Sasha - Campfire stories

Sasha eyes the man cautiously, but it isn't as if she can deny the obvious. "Yes, my father was Diné, Navajo. If you do not know the meaning on this mark, then you come from a kinder America than mine."

The Tatoo in question, for reference, is on Sasha's right cheek, starting at the jaw line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007
Fighting poverty...one bum at a time.

Swampdog - The Beach

ZiegeDame posted:

"If you do not know the meaning on this mark, then you come from a kinder America than mine."

In the distance, Swampdog could be heard shouting, "I loving DOUBT IT!"

()

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!


Vojtech Liska - Campfire stories

Taking a long drag, Vojtech hears Swampdogs shout, and bursts out laughing. "I think our mutant friend is probably correct. In the 1940s, the Americans invented a bomb that split he fundamental stuff of the world', the atom. The world neared using hose weapons many times especially, and destroying everything. Sounds like that did happen in Swampdogs world."

He stubs out his smokes, immediately pulling out another and lighting it. Vojtech sits, thinking for a few moments, before putting his weapons on the ground beside where he sits, along with his spare magazines and equipment.

"If we are all lost here, we may as well be lost here together! I suggest we share what we have, to make up for what others do not. I can spare my Skorpion, if someone is in need of a less primitive weapon. Also have my shovel, a bit of medical supplies, some wet cigarettes, and a bit of ammo for Czechmate," he says, patting his rifle, "but nothing in the way of food. Had just finished up with a job when the storm took me, so I am rather low on most things. "

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!


Sasha - Beaches

"I am aware of mankind's capacity to engineer it's own extinction, and I don't doubt that given another hundred years the great powers of my world would have marched off that cliff. It was my mission to prevent that, but my failure seems even more likely now than it did this morning.

"As far as supplies go, I should have enough medical supplies to last us months, assuming you don't go shooting each other for fun. No food, though I should have some fishing line if we can find a suitable rod. Not that I've a great deal of experience with ocean fishing."

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Abner - the Beach

Abner responds eagerly to Sasha, glad to have some firm footing to discuss. "I'm afraid I've not encountered that tribe, the Dine or Navajo. What part of the continent are they found in? I find... ah, well I suppose I found myself often in the company of the Iroquois or Abenaki. I can't say I care much for the Huron, they've been raiding down into the Dominion for decades. I've met a few men and women of some of the southern tribes, the Cherokee, Creek, and so on as well. Do you know of any of those tribes?" He peers at Vojtech's scorpion, and reaches out for it, examining it closely. "This is like no firearm I'm familiar with. Some kind of breech-loader I assume? But where's the lock, how do you prime it?" Abner then remembers that he's hungry, and begins to root around in his pack. "I have some dried meat, deer, and some parched corn that we might boil up. I don't suppose any of you has a tin pot or the like? I also have some fishhooks and line if anyone wants to try their luck".

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!


Sasha - Beachfire

"Further West than that, past the great plains. My father's people had contact with Pueblo, Apache, sometimes Kiowa or Shoshone. I've never heard the tribes you mention, probably they were already wiped out by the time I was born. As I said, the America of my world was not kind to the native tribes."

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007


Jake Wolff -- The Beach


"Daaaamn. Rome? Johnsonius? You're from Johnson's Rome! Some of my friends toured there a couple years back. Me? Not my thing." Jake doesn't know how to answer the question about Lucifer-7, so he doesn't. Nor does he know what to do with all the different dates. He knows about cross-world travel--hell, that's how he ended up here--but people from 4 different centuries? Can't figure it, so he doesn't.

"I'm Jake. Homeline, 2032." Jake rifles through his backpack, confirming that everything he packed made it... To wherever they were. "I've got a couple of Clif bars, some water, and an ice axe. Pretty much it, unless any of you are looking to snowboard--not much snow around here, though."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Unknown Island

Ignatius finds that the water has bits and pieces of strange debris, but nothing he sees looks like it would be useful.

Abner figures it won't be raining anytime soon (then again the storm that brought him here couldn't have been predicted either). It seems like a shelter from the weather isn't a necessity for the moment, since it doesn't look like it could rain and the temperature wouldn't drop too much. In the flotsam he finds nothing of interest.

Swampdog decides to go swimming. About twenty yards from shore, he finds some of the wreckage of the boat he had before the storm. The storm appears to have torn it in half and the front half appears to have sank. He can find no trace of his pals. It is as if they weren't in the boat. Except for the cooler of food that happened to be stashed in the back of the boat. It got tied down to make sure it didn't go overboard and it appears that paid off. He manages to release it from the ropes tying it down. As he finishes up with the cooler, he sees a large dark shadow swimming beneath him. The shadow looks to be at least a two or three yards in length. He goes back up for air and notices that the motor boat engine is still attached to the boat wreckage.

At this point Swampdog has some choices. The safest choice right now would be to swim to shore with the cooler. However there is the motor on the boat. If he wants to get the motor to shore, then he would either have to salvage it right there (swimming and mechanics checks with some penalties) or pull the wreckage ashore (which would just be a swimming check with a penalty). I'm not saying what the penalties are, since Swampdog doesn't have time to evaluate the decision. Also, Swampdogs pals are definitely not here. The banestorm didn't bring them here.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!


Vojtech Liska- The Beach

Vojtech chuckles at Abners questions. Taking the maching pistol back, he ejects a shell and field strips the gun. He hands the live round over.

"That is a .32 ACP round my friend. Bullet, powder, and primer all in one. Just need to strike the primers hard enough, and the fire. You were right about it being a breech loader," he says, showing off some of the guts of the gun, "it is a blowback action, with a switch to go between safe, firing once per pull of the trigger, and firing continuously as long as you hold the trigger down. Automatic is generally not used though, Skorpions buck more aggressively than loving rabbits when you are firing 850 rounds a minute, no?"

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007
Fighting poverty...one bum at a time.

Swampdog - The Beach

No sign of the 606 guys he was supposed to guard. poo poo, their boss was gonna be pissed. Still, not much that can be done when clavo stuff is involved. Swampdog has just finished tying the cooler chest to himself when he noticed the shadow swimming below him. Ever since the bombs dropped, Swampdog had a (perfectly justified) wariness of the ocean; he had seen the carcasses that washed up on the beaches, horrifying things with too many eyes, legs, fins, or claws. The raider was pretty sure that freaky underwater mutants were the reason that nobody who went too far out to sea ever came back.

So he booked it back to the surface, the cooler floating to the surface with him. He kept up the pace all the way back to shore, not wanting to take any chances with the local fauna.

I'll put a swimming roll here just in case I need one: Possible Success! (10 vs 12)

A triumphant Swampdog waded back onto the shore, "Haha, jackpot! There's an outboard motor out there too. if Abner here'll let me borrow his canoe, I could go get it! But let's crack this thing open first." He opened the chest sized cooler to discover a bevy of tasty post apocalyptic treats floating in the mostly melted ice: some choice cuts of gator, a few pieces of homemade cornbread, some strange looking oranges, a small jug of water, and (best of all, in Swampdog's opinion) a bottle of what he assumed to be homebrewed hootch labelled 'IBrEW 606'

After doing a mental count of all the stuff in the cooler, Swamp spoke up, "Lessee, there's enough here for four, maybe five of us I'd say?"

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Abner Langstaff - The beach

"I've never been west of the Mississippi, myself, never mind the great plains in the interior. There was some talk of mounting an expedition, Governer-General Jefferson is apparently very taken by the idea of finding a water route to the Pacific ocean."
Handing the gun back to Vojtech, Abner shakes his head. I like these self-contained cartridges, and your gunsmiths are clearly very clever men, but how do you possibly carry enough ammunition? 850 rounds in a minute, each man would need his own supply train!"
As Swampdog walks back up to the fireside and asks about the canoe, Abner starts to get up. "I don't see why not. What was it you wanted to salvage?" He walks over and begins to empty more supplies out of the canoe. Two small boxes, a large bareel, and then a long wooden crate are carefully placed on the sand, followed by a large canvas sack which Abner tosses carelessly on the beach, landing with a dull clank. He then motions for Swampdog to help him push the canoe back into the water.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007
Fighting poverty...one bum at a time.

Swampdog - The Beach

Swampdog helped Abner push his canoe into the water, "Like you, I was in a boat when the clavo shitstorm hit but mine didn't make it out like yours did. Lucky for us, the motor still looks like it's good so we're gonna go get that." An awkward pause. "Oh, right. You're, like, from George Washington times and poo poo.", Swampdog sighed, "I'm uh, not sure how to explain it, but you pretty much put fuel in it, start it up, and it makes a bit spin that moves your boat. Let's just say it beats rowing any day." Swampdog walked back over to the fire where he had dumped his stuff and grabbed his multitool, as well as his machete.

"Alright, I didn't see what kinda bolts was holdin' it on, so we might wanna just drag what's left of the boat to shore. You up for it?"

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!


Sasha - Fire

Sasha stiffens when she hears the word 'Homeline.' She'd heard that name before, something about a potential threat to Centrum's operations. She'd need to be more careful about what information she volunteered with this one around.

Later, she eyes the contents of Swampdog's box suspiciously. "You sure this food is safe?" She examines a rather strange looking... fruit? Is it an Orange? She does not even want to guess what the bottle labeled 'IBrEW 606' contains, but it would probably make them all go blind.

Using whatever is applicable of Per 14, Medic! 14, and Discriminatory Smell to determine if Swampdog's food is fit for (non-mutated) human consumption.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Unknown Beach

Sasha looks over the food Swampdog offers. Eating most of the food wouldn't poison or make non-mutants sick. However, the quality of the food is suspect. As long as one can get past the smell and taste, its edible. The strange looking orange is an unknown. It should be edible, but there's no telling what effects the radiation that affected the plant would have on the fruit.

HT check at +2 to eat the food and to keep it down. The orange is an unknown. Swampdog doesn't have to bother with checks, since he's used to the food he has.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007
Fighting poverty...one bum at a time.

Swampdog - The Beach

Swampdog noticed Sasha eyeballing the questionable awesome food he found, "Good poo poo, right? Just be careful peelin' them oranges, those thorns hurt!" He reached into the cooler, unscrewed the cap on the 'IBrEW 606', and give it a whiff, "Whew! Ya'll might wanna be careful with this stuff too. I wouldn't be surprised if Union boys used this poo poo to degrease engines."

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at Aug 21, 2016 around 17:34

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!


Sasha - The Beach

"Yes, well, let's call this emergency rations, if we can't find anything fresher. While you try to salvage that motor, I'll see what the forest might have to offer. Perhaps something to cover up with," she adds, glancing again at the naked Roman.

Leaving her pipe behind, Sasha heads towards the tree line, opening her sense to any signs of life on the island.

Per 14 + Discriminatory Smell, looking/sniffing for local fauna.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Unknown Beach

Sasha goes up to the tree line. She looks and finds a game trail that leads into the jungle. She sniffs the air. She picks up several scents on the trail (meaning several types of animals), but she isn't familiar with any of them.

Swampdog and Abner go out in the canoe. They find the boat wreckage and Swampdog gets to work. Abner spots something beneath the water circling them, but it keeps its distance. Although he tries to figure out what it is, he can't. All he can tell is that its over two yards long and looks like some kind of a fish.

The two men then bring the canoe back to shore with their prize.

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007


Jake Wolff -- The Beach

Watching Swampdog and Abner head out in the boat, and Sasha heading to the tree line, he takes stock of his situation. He is, seemingly, on another 'other world', stranded on a beach, decked only in his snow survival gear, and surrounded by strangers. Like, strangers--not just unfamiliar people, but real weird types. Just nearby, one man is naked as can be, from *ancient* Rome, and the other is polishing a machine gun.

Now seems like a good time to take his own scouting hike.

He gathers his winter gear and lays it out by the fire to dry. He shoulders the rest of his gear, loaded in his pack, and checks his watch. "I'm going to see what's up the beach. I'll be back soon."



Heading whichever direction is most interesting, (or, all things equal, go right when facing the treeline). Looking for anything of note, but particularly buildings of any kind, or useful locations--caves, freshwater sources, etc.

Relevant skills: Naturalist (earthlike) 12, Navigation (land) 12.

BeefSupreme fucked around with this message at Aug 22, 2016 around 04:28

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!


Vojtech Liska - The Beach

Vojtech finishes with the machine pistol when Abner gets distracted. As the other young man mentions his little scouting trip, he stands up. "I will go with you, Jake. It is best if someone who is armed comes along, yes? May be of some assistance as well."

Navigation (land) 10
Perception 13

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at Aug 22, 2016 around 05:30

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Abner - The beach

Abner hops out of the canoe, and helps Swampdog lift the engine out. He leaves Swampdog to inspect it and walks back to the fire. He looks into the cooler, grimaces, and then pulls out a piece of jerky. Seeing Sasha's similar reaction to the questionable food, he catches her eye, grins, and offers her some jerky.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!


Sasha - Campfire

Sasha takes the offered jerky with a mumbled "Thanks."

"Do you fancy yourself a hunter, Mr. Langstaff? There are plenty of animals in the woods, though we may want one of our more heavily armed companions to come along."

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Abner - Campfire

Abner perks up and this, and begins to gather his possibles bag and rifle. "One musn't brag, but I do indeed fancy myself a hunter. As for arms, my rifle and pistol should suffice for hunting, and if you'd like one I have a number of muskets." Abner pulls his leather shirt back on, tucks a flintlock pistol into his belt, then turns to Sasha with his rifle in his hand. "Shall we be off, then?"

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007
Fighting poverty...one bum at a time.

Swampdog - The Beach

Swampdog briefly considered mounting the outboard onto Abner's canoe, giving it an experimental kick. No, no way it could support the outboard. Plus, it was the wrong shape; too pointy. There was also the small detail of Swamp not having the proper tools to mount it on there safely in the first place. Still, if nothing else, the motor's fuel tank still had a decent amount of gas in it. "Heh, sorry, Abbie. You're gonna have to wait to see this bad boy in action. Canoe like this, I'd haveta drill some extra holes at least and I dunno much about boats but I don't think it could handle it anyway."

Seems like Sasha and Abner wanted to go on a little adventure; sounded good to Swampdog! He yelled, "Hey, I wanna come with you guys! Hold up!" Swampdog stopped by the tobacco barrel to get himself a fresh smoke. He gathered up all his loose things, putting them back in his duster's various loops, pockets and holsters. He put his duster on with a flourish, slung his shotgun over his shoulder, grabbed an 'orange' from the cooler, and headed over to the others.

"Man, ya'll missin' out.", Swampdog drawled, carefully peeling the thorny orange, "Them's some good eats."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Unknown beach

As far as anyone can figure, it seems to be about four in the afternoon. Mostly likely nightfall would occur around seven to eight that night.

Vojtech and Jake head off on their hike down the beach. Jake realizes that unless the two of them went inland, they would find no fresh water along the beach. After an hour of hiking along the beach, they see the beach running into a stand of trees. Upon further inspection, Jake realizes that the stand of trees is part of a mangrove swamp. While the swamp could provide food, the water of the swamp would be brackish at best.

I assume only Vojtech and Jake were exploring the beach? If not I'll make a correction. For those making the hike, they lose 2 fp from the exertion.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!


Sasha - Treeline

Sasha takes a moment to retrieve her boots and jacket, now about as dry as they're going to get, plus a few other items that might be of use if they found fresh water. And notes that the Roman is still completely naked. He can tend to the fire, since he's so keen on that.

"Alright," she says, returning to the others near the trees, "We may only have a few hours of daylight left, so let's be quick about this, yeah? And I should be covered for weapons," she adds, patting the Colt in her holster.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Unknown Beach (future site of Sturm and Drang Tiki Bar, not so proudly serving IBrEW 606)

Those on the beach realize that food and water isn't an immediate concern. Water will become necessary within a day or two, but they could hold off on food for a couple days.

The group has already started to build a camp on the beach, so they won't lose any FP due to comfort. A survival roll for Beach or Island (with a -2 penalty or -4 penalty for having a different survival skill) will allow the group additional benefits for their campsite.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Ignatius - On a beach

It doesn't take much time for Ignatius to grasp the idea of other worlds, as he listens to the others talk. Remaining mostly silent, he tends to the fire and the items placed around it for drying, making sure that everything gets as heated evenly without burning. An hour of nudity, and some odd looks from the lone woman in the group, the former legionary finds that his clothing is dry enough to put back on, if a bit rough from the salt that had soaked into everything. His bedroll had dried out as well, so he sets it up a short distance from the fire.

Finally, the immediate necessary tasks completed and everyone else out exploring, Ignatius uses sand to bank the fire and takes a look around for a high point. If he could get somewhere higher up, maybe he could start sketching out a map to figure out where they were.

Ignatius has Cartography and Climbing at 11. He's going to look for either a tall tree that might hold his weight when he climbs, or a decently high hill

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!


Sasha - Into the Woods

Sasha looks to the sky and pulls out her pocket watch. Obviously knowing what time it is in Nebraska on a different world wouldn't be helpful, but if it was still working properly it will still measure the passage of time. "Looks like the sun is on it's way down. If we haven't found anything in an hour we should head back, but if we can find fresh meat it should keep morale high. Mr. Langstaff, if you'll lead the way."

I've got nothing for tracking but Discriminatory Smell, so let's teamwork.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Abner - Into the woods

Abner nods at Sasha and begins to lead the small group into the trees. "We should also see if we can't find a stream or spring, I don't fancy trying to drink seawater."


I'm not gonna bother with a combat block for hunting, but the relevant skills would be Stealth 15, Survival (Woodlands) 15, Tracking 14, and then Targeted Attack (Guns/TL5 Rifle, Vitals) 14.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007
Fighting poverty...one bum at a time.

Swampdog - The Beach

"Heh, I'm about to show ya'll how it's done in the wetlands.", Swampdog said as he followed the rest of the group into the jungle.

Relevant Swump skillz for this little adventure: Pistol 14, Shotgun 13, Hiking 11, Stealth 12, Survival (Woodlands) 12. Also he has a machete for cutting brush.

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at Aug 23, 2016 around 05:54

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007


Jake Wolff -- The Beach

"Oookay." Jake isn't particularly excited that the gun-toting outtimer is coming along, but he can't exactly tell him no. It's fine, Jake says to himself. As long as he doesn't murder him when they're out of sight.

After an hour of hiking, there is nothing worth noting. The start of a swamp is the most interesting thing they find. "Come on, let's head back. It will probably be dark soon, and there isn't much out here. We can check the other direction tomorrow, I guess."


Relevant skills: Naturalist (earthlike) 12, Navigation (land) 12.
FP: 11/13

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Unknown Beach

Ignatius tries to climb a palm tree, but fails to get more than five or six feet up before sliding down. Failing to climb a tree, he looks around for a hill. Unfortunately it seems the land is sloped in such a way that the hill or hills are going to be in the interior. He would have to travel through the jungle to find a decent hill.

Mangrove Swamp



Just past the first trees the land gives way to brackish water. It seems the majority of this swamp is underwater. The large mangrove trees cling to life by maintaining a large root structure. The roots prevent erosion, but the area is constantly inundated with sea water and from fresh water. The depth of water in the swamp goes from a couple feet up to four feet. Due to the collection of silt and organic material, the water is murky. A person has to be careful where they step or they might trip over something.

Jake tells the Vojtech that this island is a high island, which means that it was originally created by a volcano. The fresh water that is mixed in with the salt water must have come from a higher point closer to the center of the island. By following the flow of water backwards, they should be able to find a source of fresh water.

As they walk along, Jake and Vojtech find some oysters among the tree roots. Only enough for two meals. The two comes to a small patch of ground above the waterline, Jake spots a track on it. Jake looks at it, but doesn't know what it is from.



At this point the group has traveled a half hour into the mangrove swamp. No sign of the source of fresh water yet.

Jungle



Sasha, Swampdog, and Abner take off and follow the trail. The trail ends up being wide enough to travel along it in single file formation. A half hour later, the three find a track of something. Sasha picks up a scent around it, but it doesn't remind her of anything she knows.



The three of them then see something moving in the bushes off the trail.

Working on a misconception I had. It screwed things up, but I'm going to fix it as best I can. I made the mistake of assuming the two groups were one. I made some changes and everything should be right now. Also the jungle group finds 4 meals worth of foraged food along the way.

Ignatius failed to climb and cartography doesn't help in this situation.

Jake and Vojtech will find two meals worth of oysters and a mysterious footprint.

Sasha, Swampdog, and Abner follow the game trail and find a track of something. It is enough for Abner to follow. The track leads into the interior of the island.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at Aug 24, 2016 around 00:45

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!


Voytech Liska

Vojtech spots the track a few moments after Jake, and stops smiling for a moment.

"Welcome to Jurassic Park, yeah? Would you now like a weapon by any chance?" He shoulders his rifle, looking around carefully. "I suggest, my friend, we take our oysters, make like a tree, and get the gently caress out of here, yeah? Before big critter comes back?"

Vojtech starts smiling again and chuckles. "Well, on the other hand, at least we might get to have steak! I will be the first man from Czechoslovakia to eat a dinosaur!"

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007
Fighting poverty...one bum at a time.

Swampdog - The Jungle Trail

Swampdog took a drag from his stoag as he examined the footprint; it kinda reminded him of a gator print, even if it was nothing like one. For one, it wasn't big enough to be a gator print. And it had the wrong number of toes as well. The radiation of Swamp's world had done a number on the alligator, moving it several rungs up the food chain. They were at least as big as a bear, stronger than most of the more buff mutants, capable of walking on two legs, well armored, constantly hungry, and (worst of all) pissed. Their increased metabolisms no longer allowed them to laze about and wait for the food to come to them like their unmutated counterparts, so they roamed the swamps, forests, and sometimes even ruins trying to kill and eat anything in their path that looked even remotely edible.

Swamp hoped that there was nothing like those around; gators had no fear, not of heavily armed groups of trained raiders, not even of abombs. Upon hearing the rustling in the bushes near them, Swampdog slowly and quietly reached for his M4, drawing it out of his scabbard.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!


Sasha - Jungle Path

"That... is a rather large bird," Sasha whispers, unsure what else could leave a track like that.

At the sound of rustling in the bushes, Sasha turns and sniffs the air. The scent still isn't anything she recognizes, so with the footprint the only thing to go on, she makes an odd clucking, gobbling sound that, to a north american wild turkey, would mean roughly "Good Afternoon."

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007


Jake Wolff -- The Beach

"Shiiiiit. You really think that's a dinosaur? It could just be like... a rhino or something." Jake stared at the large, three toed footprint. It did look like something straight off of Isla Nublar, especially filled with water as it was. He considers Vojtech's offer. He'd never been trained in gun use at all, but he was a natural at most things, so he figures he'll be fine. "A weapon might be nice. All I've got is this ice axe."

Jake takes another look at the footprint, and then turns inland. "No, let's keep looking. We should at least find where a freshwater source is."

Relevant skills: Naturalist (earthlike) 12, Navigation (land) 12.
FP: 11/13

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Abner - Jungle trail

"That print is like nothing I've ever -" Abners breaks off as he hears something moving in the woods around them. "Do you see anything?" Raising his rifle, Abner looks all around, trying to spot whatever was moving.

Per 14

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Jungle

Sasha "talks" to the thing in the bushes. In response, she only gets the impressions of what the animal is thinking. Hunger and surprise. It then moves out of the bushes in response to Sasha's call.



The multilegged insect raises its head towards the group and begins to approach. All nine feet of it.

Swamp

The two men continue their trek through the swamp. Another hour of trudging through the swamp and its about 6 p.m. In another hour, it would be dark. Ahead of them, they see the trees clear out and a pool of water. Rushing forward they reach a standing pool of water and find that its fresh water. The pool of water is a narrow, less than a quarter mile away is the other shore. To their right (and due north the pool of water appears to join a larger body of water. It appears that the larger body of water is at least a mile a way. No sign of any large animals.

Beach[/b]

Ignatius realizes that while he can't find a better spot to set up camp, he could focus on building a campsite in the area. He decides to build a campsite closer to the jungle, so that it is above the tidal line. Picking the location Ignatius figures they won't have to worry about being woken up in the middle of the night by an advancing tide. He then begins to collect material for a shelter. However the lack of tools makes the effort difficult.

It is a nine foot long centipede creature about fifteen feet away.

Voytech and Jake are represented by the X in this image. This is what the body of water looks like.




[i]Ignatius used civil engineering to pick a good location and he was going to use carpentry to start building a shelter. Due to lack of tools and a poor roll, he can pick one of two options for the campsite:

Concealment: Per Wilderness Camps (Dungeons, p. 5), a wellhidden camp can grant a second chance to detect night visitors. Choosing this benefit gives -1 to the raiders’ Vision roll and +1 to the party’s Camouflage roll in the Quick Contest.

Lines of Sight: Choosing this benefit means that enemies must approach over open ground, giving the party +1 to the Perception or Observation rolls under Camping and Posting Watches (Dungeons, p. 5). If the intruders attempt to sneak, they have -1 to Stealth in the Quick Contest as well.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Ignatius - Nusquam Castra (Camp Nowhere)

With the sun beginning to fall from the sky, and no sign of anyone else returning to the beach, Ignatius starts to get bored. He couldn't leave everyone's gear lying around alone, and he couldn't get a good look at the area because of the strange trees with bark that would peel away in his hands. But nothing else needed attention, except for maybe the camp itself...

Looking about, he could see that the place they had built the fire was less than ideal for a secure shelter. With the dunes blocking sight inland, a fire on the beach being visible from miles up and down the coast at night, and no idea if anyone would be coming down to the beach to collect storm salvage, it wouldn't be safe to stay there overnight.

A few minutes searching finds him a few good spots for setting up camp near the beach, so that the others could find him later. A little bit of pondering finds him selecting a spot just inland of a dune, but a little distance off from the woods. Some manual effort nets him a section of log that he wrestled up to the top of the dune, giving a solid place for a sentry to sit and observe the land around the camp. Then, building another fire and lighting it with the banked coals from the first fire pit, Ignatius begins moving all of the equipment left at the first camp into the new one.

Finally, sweating from his effort in the sun, he starts collecting as many dry loose twigs as he can find at the edge of the treeline, bringing them by the handful back towards the camp before tossing them out in a circle around the camp. Anyone or anything approaching the camp would now have a chance of stepping onto the twigs and making noise on the approach.

Ignatius goes for Line of Sight. He's moved the camp back from the beach and set up some very basic safety precautions using what he has on hand, which isn't much. Engineer(Combat) to set up the sentry seat and spread out a noise trap:12, success!

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at Aug 25, 2016 around 03:44

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007
Fighting poverty...one bum at a time.

Swampdog - The Jungle Trail

Swampdog gave Sasha a "what the gently caress is this guy/gal doing look" as she gobbled at the bush, but otherwise said nothing. As the giant 'pede jumped out of the bushes, an alarmed Swampdog leapt backwards. After getting a good look at the thing that came out of the bush, he felt a little sheepish. Just a giant bug; there were all sorts where he came from, though this particular variety was unfamiliar to him. He drawled, "Hoo-ee, that's a biggun!", leveled his shotgun at the millipede and fired.

Making an all-out attack (determined) with my shotgun: Success! (10 vs 13 + 1 (determined) + 2 (9-12 projectiles) - 1 (range)) My margin of success is 5, so 5 pellets hit the 'pede for 5d+10 pi damage. After talkin' with Doc, this is more than enough to kill it outright.

The giant centipede splattered messily under the impact of the lead pellets, spraying hemolymph over the nearby foliage. After it stopped twitching, Swampdog walked over to it and gave it a good kick just to make sure it was dead. He mumbled, "Ain't ever seen one like this before."

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at Aug 25, 2016 around 05:56

  • Locked thread
«8 »