Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
  • Locked thread
paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007
Fighting poverty...one bum at a time.

Swampdog - Jungle

Swampdog wiped some sweat from his forehead; finally they were out of the jungle. "I reckon we can go another mile or two before we run outta daylight. Might be better to hunker down. Lemme see." Swampdog removed a beat-up pair of binoculars from his coat and used them to look in the direction of the smoke column. Best to get as much information as possible before making a decision.

Swampdog's gonna try to see if the source of the smoke is visible and how far away it is. He's got 12 PER and his TL6 binoculars have x6 magnification. If anyone asks, he'll hand them the binoculars if they wanna use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Edge of Jungle and Plains

Swampdog scans the area where the plume of smoke originates. He finds that his attempts to spot the fire itself is obscured by the landscape. The plains have a slight elevation to them, obscuring the fire. He judges the distance to be about three to four miles.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Abner - Edge of Jungle and Plains

Abner considers the terrain around them, frowning slightly at the gathering darkness. "We should stop here and make camp. I don't much like the idea of trying to cross unfamiliar country at night, especially when it's infested with such creatures as we have encountered. And whoever's got that fire going might not like unknown visitors, especially at night. We'll have a look at them tomorrow, in the daylight".

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Vojtech Liska - Edge of Jungle and Plains

Vojtech nods at Abner's words, before scanning the area with his scope and speaking. "Agreed. We need enough wood for a fire to last us the night, and should probably set up a defensible location."

Soldier 10 and if applicable to the plains Survival(desert) 15 to see if I can spot a decent area to set up, with emphasis on it being easy to defend.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Sasha - Grass

Sasha can think of nothing to add, so she nods along and gets to setting up a camp.

Only aplicable skill for setting up camp I've got is Soldier(TL5) 13

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - Edge of Jungle

Swampdog peered through his 'nocs. drat hills were in the way. After a few seconds of eyeballing the distance, he put the worn pair of 'nocs away. "Alright.", he drawled, "Looks like it's about three, four miles to whatever's burning, give or take." They could probably make it too, but the others seemed to want to hunker down. Whatever.

Swampdog got to work helping the others set up camp.

Doin' whatever it takes to set up camp. Swampdog has Survival(Woodlands) and/or Survival(Swamp) at 13 and 12, respectively.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Edge of the Jungle

Preferring to err on the side of caution, the group decides to find a defensible spot among the trees. After a short search, they find a space in the jungle that looks like it was used by some kind of an animal previously. Sasha sniffs the site to see how long ago any animal used the spot. She picks up the scent of some kind of a prey animal, but the scent is over a week old. Nothing appears to be using this spot currently. The guys go around gathering up wood and preparing a defense around the camp site. The spot already has some natural defenses. The trees and undergrowth provide a barricade that would deter most intruders. And those who wouldn't be deterred would waste a lot of time trying to get through it. The one easy way into the spot is easily blockaded and defended. The group then readies itself for the night.

Need to know who is on watch through the night.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Vojtech Liska - Edge of the Jungle Camp

"We are somewhat setup. I will take the first watch."

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Abner - Camp on the edge of the jungle

Abner arranges his blanket by the fire, and then stands up straight, taking in the surrounding area. "I will take up the watch after you, Vojtech. I would be very grateful if I could borrow your rifle when I stand sentry."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - Jungle Edge Camp

Swampdog whistled, "drat nice spot ya'll found here. I'll take the watch after that, unless Sash wants it, I guess."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Sasha

"No, last watch is fine. I can watch the sunrise."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Edge of the jungle

The first three shifts go by with little activity. There is the usual sounds of a jungle, but the animals making them are far off. The sounds, though, all seem to be coming from the jungle side of the camp. Towards the area where the jungle changes to plains, its quiet. No sign of activity. For the first three shifts all this means that the worst danger they have to contend with is falling asleep.

When Sasha is woken up, she picks up on something the others wouldn't. She smells something bad. There is a faint odor in the air. Its a mixture of rotting meat and the unmistakable scent of a carnivore. She finds that the odor is being carried by the wind from a south western direction. At the moment the smell is weak, but what ever is the cause of the scent is less than a mile away on the plains.

Just as Sasha smells the air, Vojtech wakes up and feels agitate.

Swampdog is probably up right now too

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at Jan 3, 2017 around 19:58

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Sasha - Camp

Sasha gazes into the distance across the plains. "Be careful, I smell decay and flesh-eaters close by. It could be simple scavengers, but given our luck so far, and what happened last night, I am not optimistic."

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Vojtech snaps awake, the hairs on his neck prickling. Never a good sign. he gets up to a crouch, nudging Swampdog with his hand before nodding at Sasha.

"You smell meat-eaters, and I wake up to a bad feeling. Anything that comes near without warning us first, we light the gently caress up, yes?" He turns to the woods, before speaking loudly and clearly. "If anything is out there that can understand me, come out slowly or die when you come out to the light."

If anything that isn't the party moves without saying it's friendly and walking forward in a very non-hostile manner, I'm going to shoot it. Rifles 15+All Out Attack(determined) 1+ Weapon Bond 1= 17 total if it's needed.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Edge of the Jungle

Out in the distance there is the sound of something moving. Something large can be heard moving slowly across the ground.

When Vojtech speaks, the sound of movement can be heard to coming towards the camp from the plains.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Abner - Edge of the Jungle

Vojtech's words stir Abner from his sleep, and he sits up groggily, before noticing that something is amiss and springing upright. He stands with Sasha, Swampdog, and Vojtech, looking questioningly at them. "Have you seen something out there?" Without waiting for an answer, he begins to dress and arm himself.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

"I'm awake, I'm awake." More of this poo poo? Goddamn it. Swampdog got off the ground and got ready to repel any potential threats.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Edge of jungle camp

The sound of a large creature walking shakes the ground. It comes closer. Vojtech looks out into the darkness. He sees giant scaly legs of some kind of a bipedal creature. Looking up Vojtech can see that it is something like a t-rex. It doesn't seem to have taken notice of the campsite though. He watches the beast as it moves closer to the camp, but continues to walk by not wanting to walk into the jungle.

The large dino, a megaraptor, appears to be avoiding the camp. Just wanted to see if anyone wanted to do anything other than sitting still and waiting for it to go by.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog tried his best to remain silent, despite the rumbling of his stomach; he had not eaten since they left the beach. Thankfully, the honest-to-god-fuckin'-t-rex appeared not to notice or care. When he figured it was at a safe distance, he whispered to the rest of his crew, "Looks like the t-rex I was talkin' about yesterday. I dunno how thick its hide is but I bet it ain't got poo poo on our guns. If goddamn cavemen could do it, so can we. Plus if we take that sumbitch down, that's food for days."

"And it'd be fuckin' awesome."

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Abner - Jungle Edge Camp

Abner checks the priming of his rifle, and then tightenes his grip, gazing after the massive beast. Meeting Swampdog's eyes, he smiles. "If there's one thing I'm good at, it's hunting. Shall we?"

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Vojtech nods to the others, taking aim at the face of the beast. "Aim, and call it. We shoot on Swampdogs mark."

aiming and shooting when Swampdog says to. Rifles 15+All Out Attack(determined) 1+aiming 6+ Weapon Bond 1-face shot 5= 18 total
[/quote]

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Huh. They were more into the idea than Swampdog thought they would be. "Hold up, Voy.", he said waving a hand at him, "Big critter like this, it's a good idea to have a plan before goin' in. Alright, so here's what I'm thinkin'. Pretty much a t-rex is a big ol' mouth on a nice big strong setta legs with a worthless little pair of arms." He holds his arms close to his chest to demonstrate the shortness of a T-Rex's arms.

"So I'm thinkin' we take the legs down. If it's on the ground, it can't trample us and it'll have a hard time reachin' us with its mouth. And if we need to make a break for it, it havin' hosed up legs can only help us. What do ya'll think?"

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at Jan 17, 2017 around 03:14

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Sasha - Edge of Plains

"Well... if we are going to hunt something that large, I suppose I should come prepared for the worst," Sasha says, shucking off her jacket and growing large and furry.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

"Alright, looks like ya'll are all ready. On my mark." Swampdog watched the dinosaur's legs, trying to figure out where its joints were. When he had a decent idea of where to aim, he leveled his shotgun, steadied his aim, and fired 3 shots. They were gonna eat good tonight.

Aiming a second and firing 3 shots at the dino's legs with an All-Out Attack. Effective skill: 13 (Shotgun skill) + 1 (All-Out) + 3 (Acc) + 5 (RoF bonus) - 2 (Legs) = 19. Swampdog's shotgun has 1 Rcl.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Abner - Jungle Edge Camp

Abner follows Swampdog's lead, aiming and opening fire at the massive beast's legs.

Aiming for one second, the firing at the legs with All-Out Attack. Guns (Rifle) 16, + Acc 4, AOA +1, Legs-2, effective skill is 19.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Edge of the Jungle

Swampdog fires into the darkness. He sees no immediate effect. Nor does he hear anything due to the other firearms going off. Voj then fires and he sees that he misses the mark. Abner then fires and misses as well. Voj can see that the gun fire attracted the megaraptor's attention and its beginning to move towards them. Meanwhile, Sasha begins to transform.

FYI, -6 penalty for shooting in the dim light unless you can counteract it (Voj doesn't have this penalty). Also -7 due to distance (it was at 30 meters away). +2 because of size. I also halved penalties for location hits too. Still all misses.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

poo poo, poo poo, poo poo! He must've misjudged how easy a target the T-Rex would be, because it was pissed now! Swampdog waited a moment (assuming one was available) for it to get closer and continued unloading into it, wishing he had shelled out for that sweet tactical flashlight/laser combo that his buddy took off a dead Neoconfed dick.

I don't know how far the dino is now or how fast it seems to be moving, so I'm making the assumption Swamp has a second to aim without worrying about getting trampled/munched/etc. If this is not true, let me know. Aiming a second and firing 3 shots at the dino with a regular attack in case defense is needed. Effective skill: 13 (Shotgun skill) + 3 (Acc) + 5 (RoF bonus) = 21. Swampdog's shotgun has 1 Rcl. After this attack, he will need to reload.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Vojtech swears under his breath, before aiming and firing again

aiming and shooting. Rifles 15+All Out Attack(determined) 1+aiming 6+ Weapon Bond 1-face shot 5= 18 total. I'll post my combat block if you want Doc. Also, tablet is unfucked. Turns out it was a connectivity issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Sorry, this isn't working.

The problem is on my end. The adventure isn't working with the characters. People are welcome to bring characters back, when I run something else.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at Feb 7, 2017 around 02:03

• Locked thread
«8 »