Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Vojtech Liska - Jungle Clearing

Vojtech turns to tell Sasha, they're leaving. drat the Roman, they don't have heavy enough artillery to deal with monsters.

And then Sasha, seemingly shy Miss Sasha, turns into a bigass loving murderbeast out of some kind of legend. His jaw drops, and his rifle falls to his side. It takes a good few seconds before the chill running down his spine snaps him back to reality, and he shoulders his rifle again.

"Everyone is laying everything out cleanly after we deal with this. Miss Sasha, you in particular seem to have some explaining to do. But in the mean time," he says, his eyes hardening, "we are going to kills something. Sasha, take point, Swampdog on her left, I'll be on her right. Jake, Abner, you two are bringing up the rear. Anything that moves gets lit the gently caress up, and if it closes Sasha engages."

Vojyech snaps the fire selector on his rifle into full-auto, and draws the bolt back slightly to double check that there's a round in the chamber. "Everyone got it? If there's no questions, then we start moving."

I'm assuming Jake has the Skorpion still. If not, it's getting shoved into his hands., threw the two points into leadership as per Doc's OK on IRC. If we encounter anything hostile looking, Vojtech is shooting first, and asking questions later, a straight 10 round burst, total skill with all out attack(determined) is 19. Throwing Combat block in, since IO figure I'm gonna need it real damned soon.
pre:
ST 12-; DX 12; IQ 10; HT 12; Per 12; Will 13
HP 15/15; FP 12/15; BS 6; BM 5; Dodge: 5

Weapon Bond: Czechmate 
Combat Reflexes 
Night Vision 2
Trademark Move
		Pinning the Vitals: All out Attack(determined) 3 round burst to the vitals

Vz. 58 Pi(basically as an AK, with adjusted weight)
		Dmg 4d-1(2)pi- inc, 4 Acc, Weight 6.3/1.5, RoF10, 24/30(3) shots, bulk -5*, ST9t, Rcl 2, $750/$30
		Rifle Sling, 1lb, $10
		PSO-1 Scope (x4 mag, +2acc), 1 pound,  $300
		Detachable Baffle Suppressor, Rifle
			-2 hearing, $500, -1 bulk, 1.5lb
		5 magazines of API(150 rounds, $202.50), $352.50, 7.5 pounds
Improved Fragmentation Vest
		Covers torso and groin, fitted with front trauma plate. DR is 22/20(4/2 from back)

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sasha - Jungle Clearing
4/14 FP

Well, nobody has tried to kill her yet, so far so good. She cannot possibly answer the full barrage of questions right now, with time being as important as it is. She gives Vojtech a nod, before turning a loping off into the jungle after the screaming Roman.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - Jungle Clearing

A nod. Good. Swampdog was noticeably relieved at this. If he was gonna fight a mystery creature that had already picked off one of them, having what he could only assume was some sort of werewolf type thing and a heavily armed old Not-Russian man watching his back was about as good as it got, short of a full Bloodsucker Murder Squad.

"You know, Woj.", he quipped, "I was about to tell you to go gently caress yourself and mind your own goddamn business but I think you got a point there. No questions from me, let's get the sumbitch." He rushed after the Weresasha, making sure that Vojtech and the others were able to keep pace. Swampdog normally didn't let just anyone boss him around, but these were weird rear end circumstances.

pre:
ST 12; DX 12; IQ 11; HT 12; Per 12; Will 11
HP 13/13; FP 6/12; BS 6; BM 6; Dodge: 9
Fit, Damage Resistance (1, crushing)

Damage	Acc	Range   	RoF	Shots	ST	Bulk	Rcl
Glock 22	2d+2pi+	2 	160/1,800	3 	15+1	8	-2	2
Benneli M4	1d+2pi	3+1 	40/800	3 	6+1	10	-5	1

DR 12(cut, pierce)/5 (Torso);DR 3(cut, impale)/1 (Arms, legs); DR 2 (Feet); Swampdog is currently wearing his concealable vest.

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 23, 2016

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Abner - Jungle Clearing

Abner follows closely behind the others, all too aware of how poorly armed he is compared to Vojtech and Swampdog. He stays a few steps behind the transformed Sasha, making sure to give here room to work once they get into the fight with their unknown enemy.

pre:
ST 12; DX 13; IQ 13; HT 12; Per 14; Will 13
HP 4/14; FP 13/13; BS 6.25; BM 6; Dodge: 10
Combat Reflexes, Fit
Fine(Acc, Rel) Kentucky Rifle, .45 Flintlock (4d-1 pi+, Acc 4, Range 110/1,200, RoF 1, 
   Shots 1 (60), ST 9t, Bulk -6, Rcl 3, Eff. Skill 17, 15 for TA (Vitals)) $700, 7 lbs
DR1* on Torso, Arms Groin, Legs, Feet
4/14 FP

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Welcome to the Jungle

The Sasha bear moves into the jungle at a brisk pace, leaving the others to trail in her wake. Woj, Abner, and Swampdog. Sasha bear makes her way through the foliage following the scent of the Roman. As if the scent wasn't good enough, she also could easily pick up his trail as he moved through the undergrowth. She crashes through creating a larger trail and soon smells that Ignatius is very close. Looking through the bushes ahead, she spots something shiny and another scent. This other scent is strange, unusual to here. She finds it hard to pin down the scent, but moving further she sees the source of the second smell.

On top of Ignatius stands a black shape with eight legs. Its covered in short tough little hairs and a round bulbous body. It appears to be facing in the opposite direction. Looking at the scene closer, the thing on top of Ignatius pays no attention to her, she sees that the man is no longer moving.

The others quickly catch up with Sasha bear and see the monstrosity on top of the Roman.

The area where Ignatius is laying is an empty spot in the jungle, but most of the area is filled with Ignatius and his attacker. Outside of the space, numerous trees and vegetation obscure part of the view.

Supreme Beef, you need to post ASAP or your character is going to die.

Sasha can move and attack (or move one turn, then to attack). The others are further behind her and have their view partially obscured (which means they will take a penalty for shooting).

Everyone gains 2 more fp.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Vojtech Liska - 7.62 Jungle Lovin'

Vojtech follows the Sasha-beast, breaking into well practised movements. Still, he has a hard time keeping up to Sasha. Was it still really Sasha? Vojtech files that away with his other questions to ask her later. The giant spider(?) was another surprise, but on an island with dinosaurs, were giant spiders really unexpected?

He lies up the cross-hairs in his scope with the black ball of hair, before speaking under his breath and pulling the trigger.

"Die, eight legged freak."

Vojtech is going to aim for 1 second,, and then a straight 10 round burst, total skill with all out attack(determined) is 25.
pre:
HP 15/15; FP 14/15; BS 6; BM 5; Dodge: 5

Combat Reflexes 
Night Vision 2
Trademark Move

Dmg 4d-1(2)pi- inc, 4 Acc, Weight 6.3/1.5, RoF10, 24/30(3) shots, bulk -5*, ST9t, Rcl 2, $750/$30
		Rifle Sling, 1lb, $10
		Covers torso and groin, fitted with front trauma plate. DR is 22/20(4/2 from back)
[/quote]

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sasha - Giant Non-Metallic Spider

Sasha comes to a halt at the sight of the giant arachnid, a deafening roar echoing from her throat.

Intimidation 13 + 1 potential from Penetrating Voice to see if it is more scared of me than I am of it.
Active Defense Parry (10) if this does not turn out to be the case.

pre:
ST 15; DX 12; IQ 12; HT 14; Per 14; Will 14
HP 15/15; FP 6/14; BS 6.5; BM 6; Dodge: 9 Parry: 10
Fit, Talons, Fangs, High Pain Threshold, Hard to kill 2, Hard to Subdue 2, Regeneration
Bloodlust, Bad Grip 3

Brawling 14
Claws	1d+1 Cut/Imp
Bite	1d Imp

DR 2 (Tough Skin)

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Abner - I swear to god if we meet a giant gorilla

Abner steps around Sasha's side, making sure that he is well clear of her before aiming and firing his rifle. He wouldn't want to shoot an ally at the best of times, but angering her now would not be wise.

Moving until he has a clear shot, then Aiming for a turn, then Shooting. Effective Skill is 21.
pre:
ST 12; DX 13; IQ 13; HT 12; Per 14; Will 13
HP 6/14; FP 13/13; BS 6.25; BM 6; Dodge: 10
Combat Reflexes, Fit
Fine(Acc, Rel) Kentucky Rifle, .45 Flintlock (4d-1 pi+, Acc 4, Range 110/1,200, RoF 1, 
   Shots 1 (60), ST 9t, Bulk -6, Rcl 3, Eff. Skill 17, 15 for TA (Vitals)) $700, 7 lbs
DR1* on Torso, Arms Groin, Legs, Feet

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - Spiders, why did it have to be spiders?

Swampdog advanced, trying to keep up with WereSasha, no simple task. At the sight of the giant spider, he paused for a moment. He carefully moved into a position where he wouldn't hit WereSasha, keeping an eye out for webs. He aimed down the sights of his M4 and fired a shot.

Movin', aimin', and all out attacking once. Effective skill is 13 (skill) + 3 (acc) + 1 (determined) + 2 (RoF) = 19

pre:
ST 12; DX 12; IQ 11; HT 12; Per 12; Will 11
HP 13/13; FP 8/12; BS 6; BM 6; Dodge: 9
Fit, Damage Resistance (1, crushing)

Damage	Acc	Range   	RoF	Shots	ST	Bulk	Rcl
Glock 22	2d+2pi+	2 	160/1,800	3 	15+1	8	-2	2
Benneli M4	1d+2pi	3+1 	40/800		3x9 	6+1	10	-5	1

DR 12(cut, pierce)/5 (Torso);DR 3(cut, impale)/1 (Arms, legs); DR 2 (Feet); Swampdog is currently wearing his concealable vest.

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 24, 2016

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Jungle

The roar from Sasha bear causes the giant spider to turn around. It looks at Sasha and then Voj fires at the spider. The spider explodes in a burst of goo and gore. Ignatius, now covered in spider guts, doesn't move.

It doesn't take the group very long to establish that the spider killed Igatius before they even arrived. Two marks on his neck show where the giant spider injected its poison into him.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Vojtech Liska - Dead Roman in the Jungle

Vojtech feels Czechmate slam against his shoulder in a long burst. More than long enough for suppression fire, let alone a close range aimed shot. Nontheless, a few go stray. Ears ringing slightly, despite the suppressor's effect, Vojtech drops to his knees and looks around before figuring it's all clear.

"gently caress. Never liked seeing people go down to wildlife. Especially bugs. Lost friends to malaria and west nile before." He stoops, and grabs the Roman's spear, wiping off any viscera, before trying to slot it into his web gear, hoping the straps, which were likely older than him, wouldn't protest too much. "Grab what you can my friends. Miss Sasha, if you could return to a form that could talk, it would be appreciated. We'll collect what he dropped, make sure we've got anything that could save a life, and then leave. We head towards the smoke, and have our chat along the way. I will start once we are on the move. I cannot ask of my kamarads that which I am unwilling to do myself first, yes?"

statblock being put here for when I next need it
pre:
HP 15/15; FP 14/15; BS 6; BM 5; Dodge: 5

Combat Reflexes 
Night Vision 2
Trademark Move

Dmg 4d-1(2)pi- inc, 4 Acc, Weight 6.3/1.5, RoF10, 14/30(3) shots, bulk -5*, ST9t, Rcl 2, $750/$30
		Rifle Sling, 1lb, $10
Roman Spear
		Dmg 1d+1 imp, reach 1*, parry 0, weight 4
		two hands Dmg 1d+2 imp, reach (1,2*), parry 0

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - SuD krew giant bugs killed: 2

Swampdog lowered his gun when it was abundantly clear that Voy's assault rifle had more than killed the giant spider. The old Not-Russian's AK-47 hosed poo poo up; after seeing one in action Swampdog felt it was a shame that what few made it to the States before the war had been destroyed by the government. As he walked over to Ignatius's body, he did not some quick mental math. Ignatius presumably got bit only a few seconds after he had left, and it hadn't taken much longer for the rest of them to get there...

poo poo, that was some spider! He took an old rag out of one of his pockets and wiped any leftover Spider Fluids from the Roman's neck before he pressed his fingers against the other man's carotid, "Stone dead. Sorry, Sash. Careful what ya'll touch. Whatever that critter shot 'im' up with, it worked fast." Swampdog joined Vojtech in looting the body. After all, it was practically standard operating procedure for him. Unfortunately, he didn't find anything he wanted; the Roman's metal armor was pretty sweet, but Swampdog didn't want to lug it around.

After he was done rooting through Ignatius's pockets, Swampdog stepped back and cleared his throat, "So, uh, anyone wanna say a few words?"

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 26, 2016

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

"Yes, a few words. Do not run into danger pointlessly. If you are in danger through no fault of your own, I will help. If anyone else charges off to attack something without at the very least a bit of recon and a good reason to attack, I will not be wasting ammo to rescue them."

Vojtech is pissssed. Allies dying because of foolish actions are not something that make him happy, and neither does his comrades being full of secret powers..

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sasha - Spider Guts

When Swampdog confirms the man's demise, Sasha strikes the ground leaving a sizable dent in the jungle floor. She hadn't even known Ignatius a full day, but she could tell he was as brave as he was reckless. And maybe if she hadn't said anything he wouldn't have run off to his death. Hunched over in the dirt, her body shifts and shudders and contracts, but as she is, shirtless, on all fours, tears falling to the jungle floor, she doesn't seem any more talkative than she was moments ago.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - Yeah, rip.

Swampdog cast a sidelong glance at Vojtech, "drat, Voy. Cold. Um, let's see...Ignatius, you were a pretty fun guy to smoke an L with. Rip." An awkward pause, "Anybody got a shovel?" Swamp watched as Sasha returned back to a human form. Seemed like she was taking it hard and nobody had remembered to pick up her shirt in the excitement. Swampdog wordlessly shrugged out of his coat and offered it to her.

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 28, 2016

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Vojtech wordlessly pulls his folding shovel out, and hands it to Swampdog. "If you would like to dig, I will cover you. However, I would prefer not to stand around two sources of carrion that will soon smell strongly and attract predators. It is your decision, kamarad."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - Yeah, rip.

Swampdog nodded at Vojtech, took the shovel, and began the process of digging Ignatius a shallow grave. Normally, Swampdog would've agreed with Vojtech and leave the body for the buzzards, but he had seen what had happened to the last person who died in these parts.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Abner

Abner lowers his rifle, and surveys the scene before him. He stares around at the others for a moment, and then begins to help Swampdog dig a hole. "We're not so pressed for time that we can't give him some manner of christian burial. Though I suppose I don't know if he was christian at all. At any rate, I'm not about to leave his body here for the wolves." Abner unbuckles Ignatius' belt, setting his sword and dagger aside. "His shield will serve well enough as a headstone."

Beardless fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 28, 2016

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Jungle

The hole for the grave is dug and Ignatius' body is put into the grave. The grave is filled in with dirt as well as some rocks to protect the body. His shield is then driven into the ground to mark his grave.

Just as they finish up, they hear a scream coming from the jungle clearing.

"Its got me." It sounds like Jake yelling.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Vojtech Liska - Shallow Grave

"Are you loving kidding me? What did I just say about loving off on your own for no good reason?"

Moving towards the screaming, ready to either beat someone to death, or shoot a monster to death.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - Fuckin' Wound Boy's at it again!

Swampdog was just finishing filling in Ignatius' grave when he heard the shout, "Oh come on!", he shouted. Jesus Christ, apparently he couldn't take his eyes off someone for 2 fuckin' seconds without them gettin' got.

He tossed aside Voy's shovel, unslung his shotgun, and moved to investigate.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Jungle

Swampdog and Voj only go a few steps before they hear Jake; above them. They look up and see Jake being carried off by a large winged dinosaur. As the dinosaur flies off, Jake drops Voj's Skorpion. They realize there's little they can do for their wounded comrade.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Vojtech Liska - Shallow Grave

Vojtech picks up the Skorpion, surprisingly still in the holster with it's spare magazine. Today has worn on him. The Roman's death wish, Jake being grabbed by a pterodactyl, it was all just so hosed. Going back to the grave to collect the others, his shoulders slump. Not a good day to be an old man. And Sasha was on the ground crying. He walks off to grab her clothing, returning to squat beside her, holding the jacket out.

"It is alright Miss Sasha. We did what we could. There is no need for tears now. We carry on, and when we are safe, then it will be time to drink and remember our kamarads. But for now, we push on."

Tossing the Skorpion, holster, and spare magazine to Abner, he sighs. "It is a little newer than what you appear to be used to, but it should serve much better than the guns you have now. Just remember, it has three settings: safe, semi, and full-auto Safe means it won't fire, semi means it will fire every time you pull the trigger until the magazine is empty, and full-auto will fire until you let go of the trigger, or the gun is empty.. Use full-auto only if something is close, and needs to be dead right loving now."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sasha - Spider Guts and Jungle Graves

Right. Right. No time to obesses over the ones she couldn't save when those who are still alive aren't any safer. She hurriedly puts her shirt back on and wipes her eyes with the back of her wrists.

"Yes, of course, I'm OK," she lied, "lead the way."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - Goddamn pterodactyls.

Swampdog held his hand up to his eyes and squinted in the direction he saw the pterodactyl head. Gone. Swampdog sighed, "Well, he's hosed. Motherfucker." If Wound Boy was lucky, the dino would drop him before it took him back to its nest or whatever the gently caress pterodactyls have. Swampdog trudged back to Ignatius' gravesite. Sasha had obviously been crying, so Swampdog decided to keep things related to the matter at hand.

"Let's get the hell out of here." A pause. "And watch the skies."

He didn't blame her. He'd be flipping out if he were a normie/werewolf doctor with no concept of dinosaurs too.

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 5, 2016

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Vojtech Liska - In the Jungle, the Mighty Jungle, war crimes sleep tonight

Vojtech waits a moment for everyone before setting off towards the smoke, keeping quiet for a few minutes before speaking. "Storytime. I start, and then whoever wants to go next starts."

Without turning back, he begins.

"I speak four languages: my native Czech, Arabic, English, and Tuareg. I'm quite handy with my rifle, which has been with me since I was a young man. Stole it when my military service ended after the Velvet Revolution, towards the end of the year 1989. As for what I do, what I am...In a nutshell, I am a mercenary. I fight people's wars for them, steal, kill, whatever as long as the price is high enough. In many years, there are only three rules I have chosen to hold true. Never work for people who hurt kids, always do the job, and never let a backstabber survive. I didn't always have them. I decided on all three after a single job."

He sighs, and all cheeriness leaves his eyes for a bit. "I am not proud of what I did. Job was to help some warlord gently caress. Didn't know how bad he was at first, and I was still young. Twenty three, I think. Simple job, really. Just had to make one of his rivals lieutenants and their squad burn up real good, yeah? I didn't ask for any info on the targets. Just got a name, and a place. Went, to the spot, set charges. High explosives in barrels of mixed diesel and oil, thermite charges to light it all and burn everyone in the area."

"The targets came. Couldn't have been one of them over fifteen. Youngest was probably under ten. Charges were on a timer, set to go off right as the targets were in the area. Max of five minutes to spare. You have heard the term child-soldiers, yes? Well, they were still just kids. Deeply hosed up kids. I was a kid, in a way then."

"I did the job, or so I thought." Vojtech laughs bitterly. "Some survived. Badly burned. Crippled. But alive. Decided I'd never do something like that again, and never work for anyone that would be willing to order it. Did some research into my employer, afterwards. He had done far worse than I had. Was doing far worse than I had. Genocidal, you know? But I went back to him anyways, to ask for my pay."

"Fuckhead was waiting for me. According to him, I hadn't done it right, because some survived. So I didn't get paid. And then I ended up running from international police, because I'd just firebombed a bunch of kids. Burned through everything I'd saved, trying to get them off my tail. In the end, killed warload fuckboy. Thermite grenade. Open wound. Not pretty."

Vojytech stops for a second, sliging his rifle and pulling out his lighter, gesturing to Swampdog for a smoke.

"So now you know who I am, and what I have done. So who are you, what are you, where are you from, and what have you done?"

Haha! Depressing stories!

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - Jungle

Swampdog reached into his coat and withdrew a cigarette for Vojtech. His story seemed to check out, he DID have the look of a merc about him. He lit up a smoke for himself and drawled, "poo poo, Voy, that's some hosed up poo poo. I get it though, my job ain't always clean either. I suppose I should start from the beginning, since ya'll seem confused about the whole 'mutant' thing."

"Alright, so I may or may not have said it yesterday, but where I'm from, everything went to poo poo. Basically everybody freaked out and left a big ol' mess for everyone else to live with. That's not all though, after the bombs dropped and the dust settled and poo poo, people started noticing that things had gotten, uh, weird. One of those weird things is that if you get radded up enough, you change. Usually it just fucks you up somehow," Swampdog waggled a finger near his malformed face, "but sometimes, you get somethin' that's downright helpful. I'm talkin' poo poo like bigger brains, muscles, armored skin...hell, one of the guys in my crew can set a guy on fire just by looking at him."

"Me, I can blow out big clouds of smoke. The chokin' kind. Good for cheating at fights or makin' a getaway. I'm also really good at takin' a punch and I'm so good at jumping that nobody lets me play basketball with them anymore. And I'm still person shaped and got all my hair. I look drat good by mutie standards.", he couldn't help but smirk a little at this.

Swampdog took a drag from his smoke and exhaled a much-too-large cloud of smoke, "As for what I do, well. I'm in one of the best drat raider crews in the Central Florida region. My boss, Sharl, likes it when business goes smoothly and it is my job to make sure it stays nice and smooth. You know, make sure everyone does what they agree to do, maybe do the occasional 'favor' or 'odd job'. Whatever it takes. I occasionally have to merk someone who doesn't deserve it, but it beats fuckin' scavving any day of the week. In fact, my job's why I'm fuckin' here. I was called to check out this oil rig in the Gulf that missed its last few shipments. I expected to have to rough up some of the people who run it or maybe exterminate some freaky oil rig mutants. Not this poo poo."

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 5, 2016

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Abner - Jungle

Abner follows the other's lead, pulling out his pipe and lighting it, puffing quietly as listened to the other's stories. Vojtech's story while not cheerful, was certainly less outlandish than Swampdog's. After Swampdog finishes, Abner mulls things over for a time, before speaking in turn. "I'm from the Dominion of America. I grew up in the woods, trading and fighting with the local Indians. I took the King's shilling when I was 16. I've gotten into more fights with the French and the Huron than I can count, and the Huron especially don't do things by halves. With the frenchies at least if you surrender they'll march you off and parole you eventually. The Huron'll just scalp you and leave you for the wolves. At least the Abenaki will ransom their captives."

He sighs, looking around at the others. "Up there in the woods, there's times when you can't afford to take prisoners. I'm sure you've been there, Vojtech. Sometimes captives just slow you down. And if you can't take them with you, then why bother taking anyone alive in the first place?" Falling silent, Abner walks on.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sasha - Jungle Trail

"You know now what these marks on my face mean, so you know that my greatest sin was being born. I was seven when my father's tribe was discovered by the United States Army, so there's not much I can tell you about the nature of the beast-blood. After that I was taken to an Indian school, where I learned about Jesus and how I was the spawn of Satan himself, allowed to live only by the boundless mercy of the white man. It was a kinder fate than either of my parents got. I was twenty when the southern states broke away and started their war in defense of slavery. I volunteer to help defeat the rebels in any way I could, but the Union army was not keen to let a woman fight, especially a colored one. I was persistent enough that they put me to work as a nurse tending the wounded at one of the camps.

"Some time in the fall of '63 the rebs made a push, and the camp was forced to retreat. Course, some of the patients were too wounded to be carried. Most of command just gave them up for dead, but someone had to stay behind to take care of them all the same. I probably got that job because they didn't much care if I died. So I did my best to hide this one little tent with half a dozen men, most closer to death than to life, but one squad found us. Nobody had even dreamed of actually arming me, so I only had one way to protect those men that day, even if I knew using the beast-blood was a crime punishable by death the rebs were liable to kill me anyway. I did manage to keep those men safe until reinforcements arrived, but..

"That day was the only time I've tasted human flesh. I didn't much care for it."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - Jungle

"drat, Sash. I gotta deal with that 'spawn of the devil bloo bloo bloo' poo poo from fundies and Neo-Confederacy bigots but I ain't gotta sit through it.", Swampdog smirked, "There ain't no shame in bein' a freak like you or me, they're just hateful dicks." Since it was apparently full disclosure time, now was as good a time as any to bring up the matter of Sasha's tools.

"There's somethin' botherin' me though. You say you're from Civil War times, but your tools look real nice. Even really kitted out docs where I'm from have worse and it's 2032!"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Jungle

The group reconvenes in the clearing in the jungle. Jake's stuff lays on the ground where he dropped it. A quick walk to the north west and the group manages to find their fill of water without issue.

After the recent events, it grows closer to evening.

Good job everyone. 5 cp for everyone. If the group wants to continue the discussion, by all means please. Other stuff can wait.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Vojtech Liska -Jungle

Vojtech listens to the others. Nothing really bad. Swampdog had a point though.

"Miss Sasha, the whole truth would be appreciated. You have nothing to fear about discrimination from any of us. At least two of us have probably done worse," he says, nodding towards gesturing towards Swampdog, "and we are from what it probably a far more accepting time period."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sasha - Jungle Clearing

"Right, that." For a moment, part of her was glad that Jake had been taken away, it would make this part safer. She hated herself all the more for that. "After the war I traveled around the South for a few years, looking for any sign of my mother or what became of her. Didn't have much luck, it being near on 20 years since she was taken, and me with no way of knowing if she was alive or dead. Locals weren't exactly hospitable either, as I'm sure you can imagine. One day I met a man named Gregory O'Donal; he helped me out of a tight spot and got a bit roughed up for his trouble. I'd picked up a thing or two about doctoring during the war, figured the least I could do was patch him up. We got to talking and he told me he was from another world. I might not have believed him except he treated me nicer than any white man I'd ever met in mine. He asked me if I wanted to save my world from annihilation, and by this point I'd just about given up any hope of finding my mother so I figured saving the world beat drinking myself to death on bad moonshine.

"He took me to his camp, which I'm reasonably certain was not located on my world, where they taught me all kinds of medicine and a bit of their history that told me what next century had in store for my world if it kept going the way it was. Something like Mr. Swampdog's world, I think. Once they finished teaching me everything there was to know about the human body and how to keep it going Greg took me back to Chicago and gave me my mission. He said I was now the best physician on the planet, and all I had to do was show people that and all their hate and prejudice would just melt away." She gives a harsh laugh. "It was going so well that being marooned on a strange world with you all may have helped my odds of success."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - Jungle

Swampdog was contemplative as he listened to Sasha's explanation. Not only were there other worlds, but apparently there were people who were capable of travelling between them! The raider tried to think if he had perhaps seen any of these people. Swampdog figured that they would have to be normies...

"That's, uh, that's nuts, Sash. So how did this Gregory guy do it? How did he take you to his camp?" There was another thing too, "Oh yeah, I'm carrying a couple'a things that some would call exotic. Since ya'll don't seem to have any problem with lootin' a body, would you be interested in hearing about them? They're both mostly safe. Mostly."

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 9, 2016

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sasha - Jungle

"Deliberate travel between worlds was one of the secrets his organization was not yet ready to share. There was some blindfolding involved. I think..." she paused to take a deep breath, "Not to speak ill of the dead, but I think Mr. Jake may have been an agent for a rival organization, one more interested in exploiting other worlds than helping them. Otherwise I might have mentioned this sooner."

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Vojtech Liska - Jungle

Vojtech nods. "No more secrets then? Good. Now let us track down the smoke, and hope who or what ever made it is friendly. Shall we?"

quick march towards the smoke: aiming to stop an hour or so before nightfall if it gets close, so we can set up a camp if needed.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Abner - Jungle

'Yes, let us be off. Hopefully whoever lit that fire will be of a welcoming disposition." Abner matches action to word, and begins to march towards the smoke.

So by my vcount I've got 10 CP, I'm gonna spend 5 to upgrade to TL6., per my discussion with Doc.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - Jungle

So not only were there people capable of travelling between worlds, but there were different factions of them. And apparently Wound Boy might've been an agent for one of them. Swampdog found that hard to believe; Jake barely knew how to hold a gun.

"Wait, Jake might've been working for the other guys? You're gonna have to break that one down for me."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sasha - Jungle

"Oh, well, he mention he was from Homeline. That's what they call the world they come from. I don't know much more about them than that. I was just warned to use caution if I ever met one."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Island

The group hikes to the southwest following the direction of the smoke column. They find themselves traveling up hill. The thick foliage of the jungle begins to thin out as they climb higher. An hour after they set out, they find themselves at the edge of the jungle. Beyond the jungle, lies a hilly area with few trees and lots of tall grass. At this point the group could keep going and maybe make another mile or two before night fall, but then they would have a more difficult time finding a suitable shelter for the evening.

• Locked thread