Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zore posted:

Yeah, this means random Shinies can actually be good and usable which is great.

I'd love to actually be able to break out and use my cool shiny Charizard (with 3 Speed IVs)

Shinies are already perfectly usable, friend. *taps nose Showdownily*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I can maybe make my shiny beedrill with the -atk +def nature (or something equally lovely) right

Right?

Please :(

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Games gonna own, all the pokemons own, team skull owns, gem 7 owns.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah while raising IVs is all well and good, nature is even more important for competitive play. The wrong nature can completely break a pokemon.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

say, does anyone here have access to a Friend Safari with Quilladin in it? my FC is 0903-3508-3015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

heres my team for alola

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What the gently caress is wrong with you

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

heres my team for alola

strike 1 was lando-t

strike 2 was chansey

you struck out on greninja.

Countblanc posted:

Shinies are already perfectly usable, friend. *taps nose Showdownily*

how do I play with a shiny m-ray in singles then :v:

(do people actually play anything goes)

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 19, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I hope the friend safari returns

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

From the dead thread, RIP

Kurtofan posted:

quote:

Crabrawler has a personality that really hates to lose, and it’s driven not only to aim for a higher position than its fellows in terms of social standing, but literally to aim for a higher position in the landscape. Perhaps as a result, it’s sometimes found clinging to tall people or to the walls of buildings! If you try to remove one against its will, you’ll be met with a sound punch.

Crabrawler’s favorite food is Berries. It punches the trunks of trees to give the branches a good shake and knock any ripe Berries to the ground so it can feast! Many Crabrawler may gather around a tree, but only the one that emerges victorious in battle against all the others receives the privilege of eating the ripe Berries.

Crabrawler uses its claws to protect its face and belly while getting in close to an opponent to throw punches. Its punches are powerful enough to split tree trunks! Crabrawler’s pincers are sometimes torn off during its bouts—and they are said to be delicious.

Did they just throw Crab Mentality into a flavor text?

Zore posted:

Also, I am glad we are back to having good Route 1 normal rodents after the horrible three streak of Bibarel, Watchog and Diggersby.

Gumshoos is definitely up there with Raticate, Furret and Linoone as a GoodTM design.

Dude, Watchog is great as a poor man's Technician Breloom. It has hypnosis and super fang, which is awesome for taking down high HP monsters.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nth Doctor posted:

Dude, Watchog is great as a poor man's Technician Breloom. It has hypnosis and super fang, which is awesome for taking down high HP monsters.

Watchog looks like poo poo though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

packrat is cute though

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nth Doctor posted:

sure but would you rather have a poor man's breloom or a poor man's arceus (linoone)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Zoness posted:

strike 1 was lando-t

strike 2 was chansey

you struck out on greninja.

sorry that your favourites are all bad and mine are all great :smuggo:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

There are too many Pokemon I want to have on my team!

Rowlet
Alolan Ninetales
Pikipek
Cutiefly
Alolan Meowth
Alolan Marowak
Morelull
Oricorio (fire)
Oricorio (ghost)
Mudsdale
Lurantis
Bewear
Rockruff
Salandit

You could easily do a bird only team with Rowlet, Pikipek and the different Oricorios.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'm still waiting on confirmation for the starters' final forms and types. and if I don't like any of them enough, ditching my starter becomes a good option, as it is for HGSS and BW/B2W2, where the starters are okay, but weak enough to be easily replaceable.

but I will try out most of these new friends, especially if the EXP Share still works the same way, so I can get a rotation going. I expect I will not hang on to Yungoos to the end, though. The only trash rodent I've ever taken to the end was Raticate in a run of Fire Red, and only because it had the Super Fang gimmick and could learn Thunder Wave, so I'd send it in to paralyze, take one hit, then Super Fang, then switch out or let it die. but the rest of the trash rodents fall off in usefulness a few levels prior to evolving, and then you have to drag them along until they do evolve, and then their stats aren't even that great. at least Bibarel and Diggersby have another type.
A lot of team choices will depend on where the Pokemon are caught, what type I need at that point, and what moves the Pokemon have when I catch them. If there's one I want to use, but it doesn't learn good STAB until level 50 or with a TM I can't get until the 4th island, into the box you go, friend.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I only dislike landorus-T because his other form is cooler and has an absolutely busted ability in sheer force.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i judge harshly anyone who doesn't bring their first friend gifted to them by a kind professor with them on their entire journey

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the world championships stream just showed me how to pronounce 'yvetal' and it's hosed up

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Spatula City posted:

I'm still waiting on confirmation for the starters' final forms and types. and if I don't like any of them enough, ditching my starter becomes a good option, as it is for HGSS and BW/B2W2, where the starters are okay, but weak enough to be easily replaceable.

but I will try out most of these new friends, especially if the EXP Share still works the same way, so I can get a rotation going. I expect I will not hang on to Yungoos to the end, though. The only trash rodent I've ever taken to the end was Raticate in a run of Fire Red, and only because it had the Super Fang gimmick and could learn Thunder Wave, so I'd send it in to paralyze, take one hit, then Super Fang, then switch out or let it die. but the rest of the trash rodents fall off in usefulness a few levels prior to evolving, and then you have to drag them along until they do evolve, and then their stats aren't even that great. at least Bibarel and Diggersby have another type.
A lot of team choices will depend on where the Pokemon are caught, what type I need at that point, and what moves the Pokemon have when I catch them. If there's one I want to use, but it doesn't learn good STAB until level 50 or with a TM I can't get until the 4th island, into the box you go, friend.

Linoone learns a lot of HMs, including Surf!

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Brother Entropy posted:

the world championships stream just showed me how to pronounce 'yvetal' and it's hosed up

is it 'eve et al' ?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

i judge harshly anyone who doesn't bring their first friend gifted to them by a kind professor with them on their entire journey

i replaced my greninja with lapras because when you surf on it it shows you on a lapras instead of a generic dark blob

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Zoness posted:

I only dislike landorus-T because his other form is cooler and has an absolutely busted ability in sheer force.

lando-t would be okay without the godawful tail and kind of dumb log hair. thundurus-i definitely got the best deal of all of them

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

what is it

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Dabir posted:

heres my team for alola

That's only 5 Pokemon sir, you're missing Mega Kangaskhan.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

is it 'eve et al' ?

I believe it's yee-vel-tall and zer-nee-uss

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

evil tall

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

And thanks to the wonders of modern technology, your first friend gifted to you by a kind professor can, in fact, be Landoorus-T. :v:

TBH, I kind of burned out on trying to breed perfect specimens for online-competitive teams back in X&Y but I'd still like a 'project' so I thought I'd try for a living Pokedex this time. What are the odds of Diancie & Volcannion getting redistributed?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Crosspeice posted:

I believe it's yee-vel-tall and zer-nee-uss

that's how i've always said them except I say zer-NAY-us because .

wait how is yee-vel-tall emphasized please say it's on the first syllable.

also confession time scarf landorus-t was a huge part of my best OU showdown team because it was a perfect u-turning partner with my genesect :rip:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i say ee-VEL-tal

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Zore posted:

Also, I am glad we are back to having good Route 1 normal rodents after the horrible three streak of Bibarel, Watchog and Diggersby.

Gumshoos is definitely up there with Raticate, Furret and Linoone as a GoodTM design.

Bibarel and Watchog are cool and awesome friends, you nerd.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Watchog looks cool but he's total garbage in terms of stats so :shrug:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Coconut Crab is fantastic and I want a team of them, this gen is so good so far.

Crabrawler is an awful name though, it's something I would have called a fakemon when I was seven.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Most of the names have been pretty lame so far, imo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Raserys posted:

Most of the names have been pretty lame so far, imo

That started last gen really.

Talonflame anyone?

or Litleo, Barbaracle...

Dexie posted:

Bibarel and Watchog are cool and awesome friends, you nerd.

no

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Zore posted:

That started last gen really.

Talonflame anyone?

talonflame was probably my favorite gen 6 pokemon but yeah his name is not very creative

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lando-T is here for you and me

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
my team will consist of six of my favorite pokemon, mega rayquaza, the best and strongest there is

how do I have six megas on my team? it is the power of friendship, dear reader

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kerrrrrrr posted:

talonflame was probably my favorite gen 6 pokemon but yeah his name is not very creative

Its especially dumb because Fletchling is legit a fantastic pokemon name, and Fletchinder is passable as mid-evo name.

Talonflame is just the epitome of :effort:

Like I can imagine the scene with the translators

"gently caress, we already used up the good fire/bird puns we've thought up and this needs to be finalized tomorrow. Barry hit me with something!"

"Talon...flame??"

"...gently caress it, I don't care anymore, its going in."

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Rangpur posted:

And thanks to the wonders of modern technology, your first friend gifted to you by a kind professor can, in fact, be Landoorus-T. :v:

TBH, I kind of burned out on trying to breed perfect specimens for online-competitive teams back in X&Y but I'd still like a 'project' so I thought I'd try for a living Pokedex this time. What are the odds of Diancie & Volcannion getting redistributed?

No idea about Diancie but Volcannion is being distributed by GameStop in October

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Talonflame is an awesome name.

It sounds like the name of a metal band.

You could make a whole team of Pokemon whose names sound like bands.