Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah that whole "Trying to make it more accessible to children" thing is kind of marketing BS cause Kids are still buying and playing pokemon. they're still really simple single player RPGs that you can face roll through. It's why they have hours of tutorials.

Pokemon Go and now Let's Go are mostly just nostalgia grabs for Gen 1 Only adults to go "Oh yeah I remember Koffee. Jim from Team Rocket used it."

Speaking of Go did they put in gen 3 pokemon yet?

Besides, we're getting a proper new game next year so all this doesn't really bother me that much. Still kind of on the fence about whether to actually pick it up or not though.

Let's Go looks passable at least, my only real complaints are still not being able to evolve either of the starters (particularly Eevee, which is kind of the whole point of that particular Pokemon. At least Pikachu is getting a major stat boost and some new moves to make it not entirely useless against Brock) and the lack of any wild battles.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's half nostalgia grab and half "Please buy a Switch, Go players, we wanna make some money off you too."

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I've decided since I'm having fun with the current gen (ran through moon and ultra sun) I'm going to go crazy and play through all the remakes and games I missed on, starting with FRLG, and taking the pokemon along to each new game. I'm going to make a SAmart post, I need to find a Ds lite and one of those remakes.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

is a comic that apparently is not true for most Pokemon fans (From http://awkwardzombie.com if no one's heard of the website)

One thing that a friend of mine brought to attention is that, for the first route of each 3D Pokemon game, such as for XY, SM, they actually have it where Pokemon are auto captured, as an extra step to make it so new players don't feel distraught about the capturing system. (Source: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Catch_rate ). Changing how Pokemon are captured in Let's Go, aside from the whole "We're making Go a Pokemon Yellow remake now!" has a silly marketing reason for the change, since the games themselves put a lot into making it so people know how to, well, catch Pokemon! Even for veterans.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Nitramster posted:

I've decided since I'm having fun with the current gen (ran through moon and ultra sun) I'm going to go crazy and play through all the remakes and games I missed on, starting with FRLG, and taking the pokemon along to each new game. I'm going to make a SAmart post, I need to find a Ds lite and one of those remakes.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866288

Post is up if any of you are done with your fire red cartridge ill buy it!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

With all the Let's Go videos showcasing Mega Evolutions we already know about it must be a clear sign we're getting new ones...right?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Golden Gael posted:

With all the Let's Go videos showcasing Mega Evolutions we already know about it must be a clear sign we're getting new ones...right?

A bunch of gen 1 Pokemon (and Hitmontop) had their names re-trademarked recently, which happened for previous Megas, so it's basically all but confirmed at this point.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Blaze Dragon posted:

A bunch of gen 1 Pokemon (and Hitmontop) had their names re-trademarked recently, which happened for previous Megas, so it's basically all but confirmed at this point.

Looks like the list of what was re-trademarked is: Golem, Dragonite, Machamp, Raichu, Jynx, Weezing, Persian, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Hitmontop, Jolteon, Flareon, Vaporeon, Starmie and Arbok.

Stoked for mega Arbok.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blaze Dragon posted:

We're getting mega Jynx! MEGA GYARU IS COMING, PREPARE!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
mega starmie is gonna be the most glam motherfucker

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Countblanc posted:

mega starmie is gonna be the most glam motherfucker

You spell Ampharos funny.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Star Man posted:

You spell Ampharos funny.

Unless I missed something recently I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that Let's Go will only feature Gen 1 Pokemon, but you never know.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mega Weezing is gonna be the worst loving wall and I can't wait to dread seeing it in ladders cause stall is a sin.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Like they're ever gonna make a Mega Raichu, a Kanto one at that.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Persian and Arbok would be awesome megas if that is accurate.

Parasect and the Nidos deserve to be on there instead of the eveelutions though. Not even a mega form can make Flareon good. :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It'll finally be able to learn Solarbeam.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Why would they introduce new Megas in a game with no abilities?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

dungeon cousin posted:

Because pokemon's marketting gets real dumb when it's Go related.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
are we even sure these new Mega Evolutions won't be Go/Let's Go exclusive? seems like the kind of perfectly stupid thing you'd expect from those companies at this point

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Since this game is going to end up serving as a demo for what Gen 8 is going to be like, these new Megas are probably in the same category as Bonsly in Pokémon XD.

Although its a bit strange that Hitmontop is getting something despite Let's Go supposedly not featuring monsters past Gen 1.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Zuzie posted:

Since this game is going to end up serving as a demo for what Gen 8 is going to be like,

this is even more depressing than Go-exclusives

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Let's Go is absolutely not going to be a demo for Gen 8. Maybe a feeling out of what they can do with increased technical capabilities, but it's clearly side game.

Like, it would be cool if I could put accessories on the models of my Pokes in Gen 8 kinda stuff.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Mega Starmie is just whatever weird thing it's been signalling to in space finally arriving

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

McDragon posted:

Mega Starmie is just whatever weird thing it's been signalling to in space finally arriving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGBhQbmPwH8

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Ultra Necrozma is maybe the meanest thing they’ve thrown in a regular game. It’s level 60, a clear cut above what you’ve been fighting beforehand. It has a solid set of moves that covers most types. And it has that aura!

I beat it this time around using Raichu to set up Thunder Wave, and my team to chip away at the damage. Finished the job with a Roto Boost and had my Salamence use Devastating Drake. I was still scared I wouldn’t be able to do the job!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
why would they introduce mega evos for the eeveelutions when eevee can't evolve in let's go

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

Ultra Necrozma is maybe the meanest thing they’ve thrown in a regular game. It’s level 60, a clear cut above what you’ve been fighting beforehand. It has a solid set of moves that covers most types. And it has that aura!

I beat it this time around using Raichu to set up Thunder Wave, and my team to chip away at the damage. Finished the job with a Roto Boost and had my Salamence use Devastating Drake. I was still scared I wouldn’t be able to do the job!

It all depends on what you head into that fight with. I was a big fan of Alolan Grimer/Muk and had one on my team so I had no problems even with the huge level difference and the stat boost. My brother on the other hand was cursing for hours afterwards that it was way out of place. :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

why would they introduce mega evos for the eeveelutions when eevee can't evolve in let's go

The same reason they'd introduce one for Raichu.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The White Dragon posted:

What's the point if I can't have a Glaceon and call it Pokemon Let It Go?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

I needed my Raichu to fight Ultra Necrozma too, but mine had Nuzzle. Nuzzle saved my rear end.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

Eevee can evolve, just not the one you start with

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

Because you can capture other Eevee who can.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

dungeon cousin posted:

Really? Googling this fact only nets a couple of GameFAQs forum posts and a Verlisify vid. I'd love some proper proof of this please

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've heard that pokemon lets go includes a taser that shocks you every time you think about a generation beyond 1. and that 90% of the game is a splash screen that tells anyone who owns a gameboy to get bent

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Thwack! posted:

Really? Googling this fact only nets a couple of GameFAQs forum posts and a Verlisify vid. I'd love some proper proof of this please

They're being weirdly coy, such as using Char X instead of Y to showcase (though that's the standard really) and Mega Kanga knocking out the Pokemon in one hit with Dizzy Punch, which has an animation where the Pokemon is hit twice. But we'll find out easily enough when they want to tell us.

Right now, the game looks incredibly shallow and has less content than FRLG, the worst remake that did a lot of dumb stuff, but maybe they could turn around and go, actually the game isn't bad because of this! Still got three months until we really find out.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Nitramster posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866288

Post is up if any of you are done with your fire red cartridge ill buy it!

a word of warning on this: The GBA games (FRLG and Emerald especially) are prone to rampant piracy. This may or may not matter to you if you can get through the game long enough to transfer the pokemon you get from it, but pirate copies have been known to delete save data randomly and will not link up with Colosseum and XD. I went through 3 cartridges before I found a legit one. Pirate copies are most easily detected by the label, legit carts have a foil that is difficult to reproduce. There's also an extra screen when loading the save file, but if you've made it that far then you obviously already have the cartridge.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Oyster posted:

a word of warning on this: The GBA games (FRLG and Emerald especially) are prone to rampant piracy. This may or may not matter to you if you can get through the game long enough to transfer the pokemon you get from it, but pirate copies have been known to delete save data randomly and will not link up with Colosseum and XD. I went through 3 cartridges before I found a legit one. Pirate copies are most easily detected by the label, legit carts have a foil that is difficult to reproduce. There's also an extra screen when loading the save file, but if you've made it that far then you obviously already have the cartridge.

I have a real legit LG copy, still has the Nintendo of Australia save file they used for the game screenshots on the boxart on it. How else do I buy a new game on release and it has a save file on it with things that add up one to one with the screenshots?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Waffleman_ posted:

Let's Go is absolutely not going to be a demo for Gen 8. Maybe a feeling out of what they can do with increased technical capabilities, but it's clearly side game.

Like, it would be cool if I could put accessories on the models of my Pokes in Gen 8 kinda stuff.

That's kind of what I meant. "Demo" was a poor word choice on my part.

In previous generations, the newest gen would be the set of games that debuts on a new console, when Game Freak is still coming to grips on how it functions. The games released afterward are generally more polished.

This time around, they're releasing a "throwaway" game to get a feel on the Switch's capabilities. Gen 8 will be more polished for it.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Are GameFreak even the main developer on Let's Go? I thought Niantic had something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Oyster posted:

Thanks for the heads up. Gamestop has them available for 20 on their website, i guess since I can't find a seller I'll go that route and test it in store before leaving to confirm it.