Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

cheetah7071 posted:

Dumb names go back to the beginning. Don't forget the seal pokemon named Seel

Still better than their Japanese names.

Would you like the wonders of LIzard, Coil, Showers, Booster, Ghost, Thunder, and Thunders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Charizard's jp name is Lizardon and Talonflame's is Farron

not much better

Edit: Fiarrow not Farron

Just call it Flarrow. There, good name.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Shneak posted:

So we got a literal monster made of sand that doesn't have sand stream but instead an ability that will not help it against a Shellder's weak physical water attack.

Hmm :crossarms:

It'll be good for doubles, but I do agree that it isn't near as helpful as you'd think.

Anyway, I guess I'll be working with some of these guys if that quiz is to be believed:

Replace Quilladin with Arcanine.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 20, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

HGSS actually pulled a lot of stuff from crystal which makes ORAS slavish devotion to the original story that much more disappointing

Well, it still had it's awful level curve and did remove the ability to get a Phanpy/Teddiursa early, but otherwise, yeah. It wasn't as bad of a region as ORAS where every other encounter is a Poochyena or Zigzagoon.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Captain Fargle posted:

Team Rocket is the mafia.
Team Aqua/Magma are ecoterrorists.
Team Galactic is a cult.
Team Plasma are a paramilitary coup.
Team Flare are Objectivists.
Team Skull are a street gang.

Plasma is pretty cultish to me. They worship their puppet leader as a king and follow a group of sages as well. They only get militaristic after the original plan fails and the true believers leave.

Internet Kraken posted:

Team Flare's goal makes sense if you view them as ultra selfish assholes that read too much Atlas Shrugged. Wipe out most of the world's population so that only the best and brightest will be left, preventing its natural beauty from being tarnished by over-consumption.

But they tried to paint Lysandre as not being a total rear end in a top hat so it doesn't work.

Team Flare had admins.

EDIT: Galactic is the only team I remember barely anything about so they're probably the worst, which would make sense given they are in the worst gen.

VVV Yes, everyone in Team Flare is a rich idiot that got roped in by Lysandre. By paying 5 mil pokebucks you get a slick suit and the privilege of living in Lysdanre's Gulch once he builds it.

I'm not sure how many of them knew he was gonna kill 99% of the world in the process.

I have no idea why they ever tried to make someone murdering everyone poor for no reason at all sympathetic. If there had been a Z, I assume they might have tried something more, but succeeding in salvaging Team Flare is an uphill battle at best.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 21, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Dunban posted:

Exciting new Sun & Moon gameplay footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jgZhBxhyQA

This "minigame" is about as underwhelming as a real sea cucumber, but 20000 Poke-bucks ain't bad.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zoness posted:

just pretend heatran evolves from magcargo and it changed rock to steel, just like how steelix evolves from onyx.

I still pretend it evolves into Torkoal. It just feels right since it does everything the slag-sail does better.

Internet Kraken posted:

It'd be better with an animation of you punting the Pyukus into the sea.

I would have liked an actual minigame where you slide your finger back to try to aim them into a target. Basically horseshoes.

Zuzie posted:

It is a bit unusual that you're given that high an amount for something so simple. Does this mean that you're not able to re-battle trainers on routes? Many of the later games that don't have this option have alternate ways of making cash. Gen 5 had all that vendor trash that could be sold for absurd prices to the right NPCs who are willing to buy them. Is this Gen 7's solution?

It could take the role of the Battle Chateau as a quick money maker.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 23, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zore posted:

There are some Dark Types that aren't assholes!

Absol, Greninja, Pangoro, Umbreon, Shiftry and Sableye aren't at least.

The rest, yeah, you have a point.

All but Absol are at least kind of of dicks. Greninja deliberately toys with opponents using its speed and relatively weak shurikens to bleed them out, Pangoro is surly and violent even if it hates bullies, Shiftry is a tengu, Sableye is a gremlin, and Umbreon spews poison sweat when it gets mad.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

if slugma/magcargo don't get an alolan form i'm going to cry

I want it to become Fire/Ice instead. Still bad, but significantly less so and unique.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Flattened Spoon posted:

So what would you guys recommend if I was interested in playing pokemon again after playing the original (yellow) like 18 years ago? DS2 + X or something? I looked up how many there are now and WTF how do you keep track of that many jesus. Also there are a lot of different games too.

You might want to keep the sites Bulbapedia and Serebii.net in mind. Things have gotten a lot more complicated over the years.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Despite cats being the best animals, they are pretty bad as pokemon :smith:

Litten has a lot riding on it to make up for all the crappy cats before it.

If not, well, I'm a dog person anyway and Poke-mutts have always done well.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 25, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

All the Eevee forms are vaguely canid creatures with traits of other animals. Being difficult to link to any one animal in particular is likely deliberate.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

sharrrk posted:

i think getting rock and ground's resistances and weakness confused is a part of every trainer's journey

The two should really have been combined into a single Earth type by now.

greatn posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with Kanto that it has so many more poison types than anywhere else?

Dark didn't exist yet so they needed something to play the "bad guy" type.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 25, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zore posted:

The only type chart poo poo I get hung up on is Fairy because all its interactions are dumb.

Dark and Bug did not need another thing to resist them!

I also always forget its super-effective against Fighting.

:negative:

Grass needs to be immune to it and it needs to be weak to Normal or Ice attacks.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Dexie posted:

Cofagrigus not being Ghost/Rock is a drat shame.

The thing eats and is made of gold. It should have Ghost/Steel.

Similarly, Sableye should have been Ghost/Rock.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

sharrrk posted:

this is also the reason they are all dragon types

Golurk just needs to muster the willpower to call his beast expansion mech, you just wait.

Zore posted:

Goddammit. I almost checked too.

Gen 1 was dire

It very much was. We are very, very lucky the core idea shined through enough to keep us hooked to that broken mess long enough for them to fix some of it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Anaranjado posted:

I guess that makes sense. Still a bummer. I found a prism scale smashing rocks last night and realized that's about the closest I've ever come to having a Milotic :(

Well, if it's any consolation, ORAS has made it piss easy to evolve one, so finding one to trade for isn't hard.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zore posted:

Also Exeggcute and Cubone.

Cubone is especially weird because it goes from a normal Cubone Ground type to a Ghost/Fire. All the other pokemon with radically different types also had different prevos.

Yeah, you'd think they'd make Cubone Ghost/Ground so it's just replacing one type when it evolves instead of a such a radical change at once.

I wonder how the movesets for Alola forms will work? Will they just start getting moves for their types after evolving or strewn along before then?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Well, he shows up in Psyduck's entry, but that is a good point.

Arcanine and Dragonite being there sounds kinda definitive for their lines, but Zubat's and Spearow's evolutions might get something?

Dark type Zubat would correct a very old mistake.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

zubat is fine as is, also i think it might somehow still be the only poison/flying line which is like, whoa

I completely forgot that it's typing is still unique.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zore posted:

I remember how badly the official guides were written back then.

The one I had for G/S claimed Magneton got worse between R/B/Y and G/S because when it got the steel typing it lost speed so Electrode was what you should be using.

I got a guide claiming that paralysis didn't stop Gloom or Weepinbell because they didn't need to move to attack. Also that you should use the Master Ball on such hard to catch Pokemon as Tentacruel.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zodack posted:

Magma balls or something that are good at catching fire types. Volt balls for electric. I dunno. New balls would be rad.

Maybe a daytime counterpart to Dusk Balls or something that gets better the more money or health you have? That or Insulator Balls that work best on Fire, Electric, and Poison types?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

But it's based on the players FIERY SPIRIT and THE STRENGTH OF THEIR BOND with their pokemon. Clearly BURST Digivolution.

I'm pretty sure that we can't call it that unless we punch out a giant Pokemon before activating it.

TWIST FIST posted:

thatd be a pretty neat ability tbh

It would be, I agree, but this was about seven years before Abilities became a game mechanic. That said, I would like to see that become a real part of paralysis: special attacks are unaffected while physical attacks are much more frequently stopped. To make up for that, we could give, say, poison the same effect for special attacks.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Nessa posted:

I prefer the Yokai Watch tsuchinoko Noko and Bloominoko. Pain in the rear end to get one though.

Dunsparce could definitely use an evolution. It's one of those Pokemon I always forget about.

Dunsparce suffers from the horrible syndrome of Being a Johto Pokemon-itis. It's a crippling disease that can leave its victims weak and forgettable unless treated with an upgrade within ten years. Sadly, it seems the treatment time might have passed for this one and become terminal like the sad, sad case of...that blowfish thing and the deer.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

lezard_valeth posted:

And the giraffe.

Really Gen II is my favorite gen due to all the things it added and having two regions in one, but the Pokemon species are really terrible and forgetable barring like 10-15.

Can't forget the Power Ranger Ladybug that hits like a whiffle bat.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zuzie posted:

I don't think the Gen II garbage mons are forgettable since they're the most cited Pokémon that are known for being garbage.

The real most forgettable Pokémon is Simisear: Not only is it an elemental monkey (that no one particularly likes since they have all the makings of truly crappy Pokémon) but it also has to compete with the Chimchar line (an actual starter and the most popular of the Gen IV starters) and the Darumaka line.

Simisear has the "honor" of being the least popular of all Pokemon in Japan now, so that's something. The real most forgotten, often terrible Pokemon are probably all the fish. Like Lumineon that nobody has ever cared about.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Cerony posted:

Yeah, I haven't kept up with the show other than seeing the league final because of hype but this is along the lines of what I've been hearing. Apparently the Team Flare conflict is supposed to be the resolution to all this rather than the Pokemon League which is kinda weird since the league is usually the last big thing that wraps up the main story.

Well Alain is still a Team Flare lackey so him ending it with them makes more sense than Ash being kind of involved for a while, then forgetting it entirely, but that speaks more to the writers being lazy about dealing with him to begin with. At least this one has been built up and we can pretend that it would reflect the improved Team Flare plot the non-existent Z Version would have.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Dexie posted:

The Arceus you catch isn't the actual creator god. It's just an avatar of the real thing.

It's one of the 'thousand hands' that the Pokedex describes him as having.

I choose to believe this about all the cosmic level Legendaries you capture.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

IVs are literally the single worst thing about Pokemon.

What I do is I'll catch a Pokemon legitimately, breed it with a ditto, then use a powersaves to give that level 1 baby 5/6IVs and the right ability. Then I'll level them up to 50 using Blissey secret bases. Because seriously, gently caress doing it the proper way. I am a grown rear end adult and I don't have time for this poo poo.

It's not like spending insane amounts of time breeding actually makes you better at battling, either. So it's different from having someone powerlevel your character to max level in an MMO, then not understand how to play the game.

IVs would be so much more tolerable if 1) they were visible in-game and 2) were out of a specific total number of points for each pokemon instead of random totals. This way distribution would be more important than getting all the big numbers. Nobody thinks it's fun or cute that their Bulbasaur has all 0's, Gamefreak.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

CanUSayGym posted:

:words:

Awesome. I'll probably play through super slow and try and get everything. There was just so much I saw reading about the games before I decided to buy it before that I kinda forgot about till I started playing it again and got overwhelmed.

Like if this is true, how the gently caress did it get found out or was it data mined out: Inkay evolves into Malamar starting at level 30 while the Nintendo 3DS system is held upside-down.

It's true. I think it was revealed as part of Inkay's reveal info.

The game has grown a lot over the years and can seem overwhelming, but it remains simple at its core. You don't need to know absolutely everything to play it and resources like Serebii and Bulbapedia make it easy to look up what the games don't tell you. The games themselves are a lot more user-friendly than the old days so most info will be provided to you there.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

mastajake posted:

If they do horde battles again, they need to speed up the battle text. They were badass but took too long to do anything.

If they do it again, I hope they let you send out more than one Pokemon and let you capture before you knock out all but one. Sitting by as five wild Pokemon slowly demolish you stats and whittle down your HP with scratch damage just for a shot at the single one you want to capture, heaven forbid the horde have two things you want to catch, is an enormously irritating experience.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

cancerianmoth posted:

Diancie doesn't make much sense to me. I get they were trying to make it a rare thing to carbink (evolution?) but then there is no actual link to them. Carbink doesn't evolve into it. Another missed opportunity. They could've given out a rare item that evolves Carbink. I don't want some random princess coming in. I don't know her. I want this ugly carbink, my bestie, to turn into the princess.

It was probably originally a Carbink evolution, but got singled out once Gamefreak realized that they didn't have the required cute little Legendary. I assume it took the role Hoopa was originally meant to have.

Zore posted:

Wait, what are you two talking about?

Seconding this question. Has some new reveal happened?

Edit: Ah. Nevermind

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Pulvarizing Pancake is the best possible move for Snorlax. Stoked Sparksurfer is good, bu nowhere near as hilarious.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

This is even better than a mega evolution. It is what Snorlax has been building to all these years.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zuzie posted:

Zoroark and Zorua are kind of a sad case. Game Freak really wanted to recreate Lucario's popularity so they made another bipedal canine and made them super rare in Black and White. In order to actually get one of each in your game, you needed to transfer special legendaries like Celebi and Shiny Legendary Beasts from the Gen 4 games through a special method exclusively for these Pokémon and activate events with them in Black and White.

Then at some point they must have realized that the only Pokémon that could fill Lucario's shoes was Lucario itself. So later games came out, Riolu and Lucario got more and more prominent (you can catch wild Riolu before your first badge in Black 2, White 2, X and Y) while Zoroark and Zorua got more and more "common". They were "demoted" from special event requiring legendaries (Black and White) to being given to as a gift (Black 2 and White 2) to being available in the wild late game (X and Y) to being available on the first route after unlocking the national dex (Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire).

Wow that's a lot of words for Pokémon I don't really care for that much.

They were really trying to make it take Lucario's place hard. Even replacing the Lucario character in their Sunday kid's show with a Zoroark for a while, but then they saw it just wasn't working out and Zoroark got dropped like a hot potato. Good thing too as we'd be getting bipedal dogs each Gen just like the Electric rodents if it had worked.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I like Zoroak's posture because it makes it seem more like a fox waliking on two legs for some reason, but it's kind of dull otherwise. Just a collection of "dark anime" traits that don't really stand out among so many others.

Lucario is similar, but I see something of an Egyptian vibe that makes me like it more.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

bobjr posted:

So what is your favorite gen 1 pokemon?

I'm disappointed that they didn't get every single name amusingly wrong. It's not as funny then.

I'm not sure if I would like Squirtle or Squirtle more, myself. Angry Cuddles is hard to resist, though.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

cynthia was the most fun champion to fight because she had the best team and was the closest to resembling any kind of challenge

I respect alder for his correct choice of using volcarona however

She's definitely the most popular champion, that's for sure.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Nessa posted:

I've been wanting the Cynthia Nendoroid for a while.

http://www.pokemoncenter.com/nendoroid%3A-cynthia-posable-figure-703-01627

It made me sad to discover that the Pokemon Center only ships to the US and not to Canada. :(

I wish the Garchomp had more removable pieces. I would love to shuffle them up to make horrible Cynthia/Shark-Dragon abominations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Cheren and Bianca remain my favorite rivals. They helped out a lot, had real character arcs, and generally behaved like your old friends. I'm not sure if he counts as such, but N was pretty good as a creepy manchild puppet.