Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nessa posted:

I would like Wally more if he showed up more in the game. The fight against him on Victory Road in ORAS is amazing, but it would have had more impact if you saw more of him throughout the game.

I wish they had worked him into the Rayquaza plot in Emerald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

You know all I really remember about Digimon is that in the show I watched as a kid, they were fighting some veiny blob monster that was melting the whole planet. It was weird.

That was the D-Reaper and it is a horrifying abomination from the best Digimon series.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah, Kamen Rider Digimon was pretty rad, actually. Except near the end of the series where only 2 of the 6 kids could help in battle at all, but that's a problem the show shares with Adventure and 02.

I have no idea how anybody liked that season myself. It wasn't as horrible as it could be, but still very bad.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Koji with Wolfmon/Garmmon/Beowolfmon/MagnaGarurumon and Koichi with Loweemon/KaiserLeomon. The former is one of the two that keeps importance, the latter loses his powers so the former can fight in better forms and is ultimately killed because, as you can read, his second form was a Leomon and that's a death sentence.

It's Takuya with Agnimon/Vritramon/Aldamon/KaiserGreymon that takes the other spotlight-stealing spot.

Not quite. Adventure actually gives a lot of importance to the entire team even as Taichi and Yamato hit one level higher than the rest (hell, it's Takeru that is critical in taking down the most powerful Dark Master, Taichi and Yamato lose). Tamers has all four protagonists hit Mega and, while Guilmon gets a super mode, it ends up being mostly unimportant and it's Ruki and Ryo that give the finishing blow to the D-Reaper, with Jenrya devolving it to a primal state; Savers also has all four protagonists hit Mega although Masaru and Touma ultimately hog the spotlight, and Tri is divided into movies which follow two Children each, thus evading that problem entirely.

Also the time moving is very much an Adventure thing, since no other series got a sequel. Taichi goes from 11, to 14, to 17; with the other characters following suit. Xros Wars also has a one-year timeskip, but we don't talk about that, ever.

It was MegaGargomon that ended the D-Reaper. Justimon and Sakuyamon hit it, yes, but it regenerated just fine a second later, making their attack pointless. I remember this much because of Netflix.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 5, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

She Married Izzy, confirming herself as the ultimate settler.

Hey, she could have ended up with Joe. There are worse places to go.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Spatula City posted:

pssssh, I have a DSi and an old broken-hinge DS, and a copy of White 2. but that makes me think, maybe I want to use one of those in my soon-to-happen Bug run of White 2.

So I'm thinking...
Escavalier
Vespiquen
Crustle
Volcarona
Galvantula
Leavanny

Scolipede and Heracross are my good buddies, but I have used them a lot. The plan will

Unless you have another copy of the Gen V games, you can cross Escavalier off the list.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Ruggington posted:

I am happy to see dexio and sina for reasons that are unclear to me

It's fun to see someone from Kalos with some personality.

Anyway, how long do you think it'll take for the Aether Foundation to be revealed as the real villains?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Kerrrrrrr posted:

that thing is some serious frankenstein abomination type poo poo

this poo poo is gettin' dark

It's Mewtwo for a brand new generation. I love my monstrosity of science!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

mabels big day posted:

so are ultra beasts not pokemon? is this the first time we're fighting not Pokemon things?

Evidently not. It'll be another change of pace.

LupusAter posted:

Gotta say I didn't expect a Ratatouille reference.

Me neither, but it's a nice way to make Raticate relevant. Maybe the movie did well in Japan?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

mabels big day posted:

Type: Null is a hosed up abomination, a cruel, tragic mistake of man, and it's up to us to exterminate their unholy presence.

By raising it with love and grooming its scales, fur, and exoskeleton then playing with yarn.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

So is our mysterious not-rival girl a jellyfish in disguise?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

but honestly, if there's a theme of weird, artificial pokemon made to fight legendaries and whatever the hell that jellyfish thing is then i'm probably going to assume that the techy-looking group that built their own island is more liable to be involved than the street punks who are squatting out in the road and trying to sell pokemon for cash

Yeah, Team Skull does not scream "major threat" to me. Unlike the creepy cultish group.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Ethiser posted:

I love that the crazy chimera monster is a Normal type pokemon.

Normal will always be the "doesn't fit in anywhere else" type to me.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Thank you for lovin me. Thank you for being there.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

notoriousman posted:

Type: Null is a synthetic mythical 'mon, and I feel there's some significance to him using Tri-Attack of all moves in his demo. And given this gen's love of bizarre forme changes, there's more to be seen about this one.

Tri Attack is a weird mixture of elements that cancel themselves out into a Normal type just like it does.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I just spend two hours reorganizing my pokemon bank only to have it inform me, right as I tried to save my changes, that the connection had dropped and then, instead of reconnecting and saving, just throwing away everything without so much as a prompt

The entire bank really is a lovely piece of software

This is true. I wish they'd at least offer the option of organizing by Pokedex number or evolution line so you don't have to spend so much time looking for everything.

Spatula City posted:

yeah, also it's the "Aether Foundation" not Team Aether, so you know they're extremely on the up and up and not ever up to any bad things at all, never mind that they're researching extradimensional entities and have their own artificial island.

It's like, Team Skull are the obvious threat, but Aether Foundation being secretly evil is about the best Nintendo's ever going to manage in terms of a twist in a Pokemon game's plot.
My theory is that the legendary version exclusive is going to be summoned to protect Alola from the Ultra Beasts.

They really should have saved the Aether Foundation for later if that's what they intended. They're waaayy too obviously hidden villains as they are.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Maybe they aren't evil

Then they're creepy well intentioned villains who will still need to be taken down for everyone's sake. That or they'll opposed you for trying to help the Ultra Beasts given that one of them is pretty obviously one of your sidekicks. Either way, you'll eventually fight and possibly redeem them.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

It'd be really weird and sort of against the whole spirit of the series if you had to fight a creature you couldn't also catch and use yourself. I know Pokemon wasn't the first RPG where you could recruit monsters and have them fight for you, but it may have been the first where all of them could be controlled.*

*I'm probably wrong

I dunno, it might be interesting to fight some weird rule-breaking not-Pokemon as a boss battle sometimes.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Professor Oakleys.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

only an absolute dipshit would see a character in a tropical setting with a tropical shirt and go 'hey wait i don't understand what happened to his skin'

You are aware of the Internet's fountain of racism, right?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

it's supposed to share some special new mechanic or something with the starter pokemon evolutions, so once we know what rockruff does we'll know what they do i guess

It'll be that anime Synchro Evolution or whatever most likely. How that differs at all from Mega Evolution, I have no idea.

Golden Goat posted:

Let's see what Bulbapedia has to say about Girafarig

Bulbapedia's not helping

It's far from the first time they've based a design off of something highly obscure.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Hardcordion posted:

Haunter is another of the more unimaginative gen 1 names.

"Alright, what's this one's deal?"
"Well, it's one of the ghost types. It haunts th-"
"Okay cool, Haunter. When's lunch?"

I guess we should just consider ourselves lucky that we got Jolteon and Zapdos instead on Thunder and Thunders.

Grimer, Muk, Persian.

Again, still better than the original Japanese names. Haunter is huge improvement over Ghost.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 9, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Wished they'd demote heatran so I could breed that sucker

Heatran is a legendary with absolutely no bombast other than "lives in volcanoes"

Heatran is the epitome of "Filler Legend". I wish that it would have just been, say, an evolution for Magcargo or something. Much like how Diancie should just be Carbink's evolution.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zore posted:

why do people keep thinking Magcargo should/does have an evolution?

heatran and torkoal can be their own thing and magcargo can be its. :colbert:

It's really more that Magcargo need help the most. When Torkoal does everything you can better, it's time to reevaluate life. That and I wish Hetran had some connection to anything since it doesn't have so much as a bit of lore. As of now, its as out of place as Volcanion, but nowhere near as well designed to seem impressive.

less laughter posted:

no the pixies are

They got to be relevant in Platinum.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Ka0 posted:

There should only be 2 or 3 legendaries on each generation.

Agreed. We don't need so many just to fill slots. Keep the plot relevant ones, hold the rest off to use later on.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

less laughter posted:

and pretty soon you'll get to do it again with doombat

Between Liger Zero and the Celestial Bat, I think this gen has my favorite box Legendaries.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I think I like the ORAS credits the best so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fveMe4HgPik

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

less laughter posted:

I think Pokémon merchandise has finally hit its zenith:

These would be ideal as wedding rings.

These are intensely nerdy and look likely to cut your fingers when you try them. I want them all.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Ka0 posted:

Drapion looks like an origami, which is cool I guess.

I thought it looked more like some bizarre fusion of multiple accordions.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

So does this mean that the starters get two final evolutions apiece?

Also, Buffsquito is the best thing yet.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Dunban posted:

CoroCoro finally leaked:

And a look at the new season of the anime:

I just noticed that Ash has a Z-Bracelet. Guess they aren't going to have to make up something like they did for Greninja to use the power-up without actually having the power. Since it works on unevolved Pokemon, I guess we'll be seeing Z-moves regularly.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zore posted:

you know birds are bipedal to begin with right.

like, a bird's body shape is already fairly close to humanoid. and this

Isn't really that humanoid. It still has the backward bird legs, wings instead of arms and a pretty short body overall.

I think it looks pretty rad, probably in my top starter evos ever. Definitely less humanoid than, say, Blaziken or Greninja.

its a scaley.

It's a bird in a hood. How are people getting upset about this being "too humanoid" when we just got done with a Frog-man, let alone the Ultra-chicken?

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 12, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zore posted:

Delphox is great and it has one design flaw that prevents me from ranking it with Greninja.

The goddamn ear hair is totally out of control and terrible.

Other than that I really like Delphox.

Delphox is the most boring starter design outside of Johto. There is nothing memorable about it beyond its ear hair. Say what you will about Chesnaught, at least you can remember the thing.

If we're doing lists again:

Design:
Charizard
Feraligatr
Blaziken
Infernape
Serperior
Greninja
TBD, but Tiger if leak is real.

Personal preference:
Blastoise
Feraligatr
Sceptile
Torterra
Samurott
Chesnaught
Owl

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

They at least have the redeeming quality that the totodile line isn't any better and you have to pick one

There is literally no reason to ever pick Chespin

It's adorable, is strong/tough, and has a ridiculous movepool. That's more than enough reason. Froakie's too frail at the beginning and Fennekin just bland.

Calaveron posted:

On a different note, are cyndaquil and chikorita the worst starter designs, debate

They are unquestionably the worst starters of their types now that Serperior can actually get Contrary.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I'm not saying the others are bad, it's just that it's pretty obvious Greninja was the favorite and they went out of their way to make him everyone else's favorite.

Also a third rockruff evo leaked.

Didn't know Tim Burton got contacted by Gamefreak.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

I thought they were tied to ivs or random bs

They're based on yet another hidden stat called Personality Values.

Ka0 posted:

Is it mandatory for japanese magazines to reveal information as if the editor barfed all over the page.

Yes. At least for kid's magazines like CoroCoro.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Blackheart posted:

I wasn't sure at first but Nightwolf is actually cool and crazy.

I didn't like it at first, but it's growing on me. I love that it's just so ridiculously X-Treme, even with perpetually glowing red eyes, that it somehow warps back to good. Daywolf is good and all, but it looks pretty anime-wolf style. I do hope that each has another evolved form.

I'm still gonna call mind Shadow the Werehog.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

McDragon posted:

oh, more origins, nice. looks like a selection of every gen as well.

I hope they do the delta episode

I'm really curious how they'll handle Johto given how little happens in it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Adder Moray posted:

The scene I was talking about yesterday:

I know the two are basically equal, but Musquito really fits the scene better than Glamouroach.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Blue/Silver/Sapphire/LeafGreen/Pearl/White/X/OmegaRuby/Moon

OR kind of ruins my Blue Supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

HoneyBoy posted:

machamp is able to move a mountain with one finger. also machamp has the power saver belt, what it does is it restrains machamps true power. in the pokedex it says that if he takes his belt off he could be so powerful the universe would seize to exist. in the yellow pokedex it states if this pokemon takes off this belt it will be unstoppable by all pokemon" not even reshram and zekrome can stop him.

I really would like to see what passes for peer review in the Pokemon world that allows dex entries to get published. Especially in matters of size and weight numbers.